what minho loved in 2019 (20 - 1)

minho

Know Better is one of my standouts from Songs for You as well, it's almost on par with songs like Bated Breath or Midnight Sun imo :jonny:Gonna have to listen to the others!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minho

• madonnas

• Eeveelution

• Ewan Chaos

14. Tyler The Creator x Playboi Carti - Earfquake

Styles: chill, kind of like an '00s throwback but still very 2019?

It's not hard to see why this ended up being one of the key tracks from his album of this year that people picked up on.  I don't quite know what it is but there's a nice laid back, throwback vibe going on.  It's a smooth song and Playboi Carti doing sumn is always appreciated.  I heard Rihanna was once approached for the hook?  If only that was a reality.

13. Ari Lennox - Chicago Boy

Styles: Late night R&B, saxophone jam, conversational fun

The songs that struck me the most on Shea Butter Baby were ones like this.  Effortlessly smooth and so matter-of-fact in their lyrical approach.  I love how it feels like a narration of sorts.  Really immersive tbh

12. Billie Eilish - bad guy

Styles: edgy ASMR, indie quirk

She really SNAPPED huh.  At first this wasn't actually a favourite from the album, but I gradually learned why this was the hit it was.  There's something with her songs that have this building anxiousness to them.  This is hopelessly faux edgy, yes, but that's kind of the point?

11. Taylor Swift - Lover

Styles: Romantic, somewhat retro, country flair

Taylor Swift is at her best when she's able to bring so much value to simplicity.  Songs like this (and one of my favourite songs she's ever done "Begin Again") aren't grandiose in any way.  They really just take things at the bare level and make them feel special - probably why she's such a strong songwriter as it is.  This was definitely a highlight from the somewhat mishmash that was this album.  I'd love to see her pull another Red in the future - something cohesive and artistically driven.

Also fun fact - if I were doing a worst of she'd be on that list with the same song!  The Shawn Mendes remix utterly destroys all of the subtle beauty of the solo.

10. Grimes - So Heavy I Fell Off The Charts

Styles: Visions tea!  Atmospheric pop

Coming through with AOTY 2020.

9. Jamila Woods - BALDWIN

Styles: Anthemic, Kind of jazzy! R&B

Jamila Woods had a really great album that explored a number of themes and complimented her own unique sense of style artistically.  This one felt like the immediate smash to me when I first got into the album.  It's just so effortless and combines all her strongest points together.

8. FKA twigs - sad day

Styles: I don't know ff... it's artsy?  Electronic? emotional

Very very clearly the standout from this album.  This is FKA twigs at her best imo.  The emotional punch that this song has is tremendous and each and every layer to the production (and her delivery!) add so much to whole package.

7. Megan Thee Stallion x Nicki Minaj x Ty Dolla $ign - Hot Girl Summer

Styles: Literal song of the summer

SO ADDICTIVE. SO GOOD.

Everyone here is incredible and they banded together to release one of my favourite hits of the year.  

6. Danny Brown x Run The Jewels - 3 Tearz

Styles: Rap, Hip Hop, kind of Old School

Speaking of everyone being on their A Game....

This track is just really strong all around.  I love the beat so much and what they do with it is incredible.

5. Danny Brown - Best Life

Styles: Hip Hop, Slice of Life

Despite him having three (:skull:) songs on my list (two in a row :skull:) I actually wasn't AS into this album as I was his last.

That being said there are some incredible moments like this track.  I just really like the lyrics and his delivery of said lyrics.  Couple that with the beat and you have a pretty cool hit.

4. Billie Eilish - ilomilo

Styles: trippy a bit, kind of nightmarey

I think this is peak Billie as far as this album goes.  It's where everything sort of comes together.  The edginess of her songs like "bad guy" or "bury a friend" is in full force, but its balanced with the more earnest ballad side of her ("when the party's over", "i love you").  For how short this song is, I feel like it accomplishes a lot and pushes the theme to the forefront.

3. Solange - Down with the Clique

Styles: Artsy R&B, got some electronic in there

This album was so powerful yet so understated.  That's... kind of why it excels for me.  This song has so much power and emotion yet it's also a bop.  It's so very Solange in the best way.  I kind of feel like it hasn't gotten the same attention some of her other tracks from this album got.  

Well... it gets top 3 billing for me!

2. Rina Sawayama - STFU!

Styles: nu-metal, anthemic

This STATEMENT she made.  

Rina already has one of my favourite releases of the decade with her mini album from a little while back.  This however, kind of blows it out the water :deadbanana: Like I was shook by how much I adored this song.  I'm really getting into the nu-metal in pop stuff that artists like her, Grimes, and Poppy have experimented with.  For me this is one of the best ones though partially because it lends so much more power to the already powerful message.  I love how she blended the themes of discrimination into this to make it feel like such a strong statement.  I'm so excited to see where she takes this!

1. Clairo - Bags

Styles: Indie Rock, kind of hazy, kind of fantastic

I could listen to this endlessly.  It's so brilliantly crafted in so many ways.  Clairo's delivery was MADE for songs like these, it gives them such a cool feel and she is honestly at her strongest here.  The production is incredible, it fuses this like, softer indie rock feel with some quirky indie elements, and altogether it feels like this hazy dream.  The lyrics are so immersive yet simple.  I don't know, I could go on and on and not make sense when talking about this but it is very VERY clearly my SONG of the YEAR.

Bags #1 :eek: Cute pick for sure! And WOW at STFU making #2 already! RINA QUEEN.

Liking that Danny Brown back-to-back slayage - especially those two picks I really like too.

Baldwin is also an interesting pick I feel from Jamila's record, but it is a great one for sure!

Lover + bad guy + when the party's over :clap3:

let me catch up

• andromeda  - her best song and definitely one of my fave songs of the year
  • lover - she made some points with this, i hate the bridge though.
  • so heavy - i can't finish this ngl, violence and 4 am >>>
  • Sad day - has been hitting me lately, great top 10 choice
  • down with the ciique - underrated and one of my faves on the album
  • stfu - surprised to see this so high tbh :eek: but i like it a lot
  • bags - cute girl

great countdown :heart2: 

Wait that Lim Kim song is kinda cool! :soda: I should give that album a listen. I wasn't much into her stuff when I listened to her on Spotify earlier on in the year but I don't think that album had come out yet.

• ATRL Moderator

Battle Lines should be higher.  Glad you enjoy it the most from them though, and I agree I love that they switch up their sound so much.

Earfquake is a bop

SHIFTTE, love how everyone was like "meh" when it came out but now we're all stanning.  A true grower.

Ilomilo is the best album cut from Billie, glad you enjoyed it.

Shoulda picked different Solange/Megan songs tbh, but they're still good.

Someone else on team Sad Day... surprised how rare we are.

Good #1 - really though that sound has been done to death and yet Bags still feels like one of the crowning achievements of the sad girl 2010s era.

STFU is good but I wouldn't put it that high, I think the chorus should hit just as hard as the verses.

This is a surprising list to me, especially the #1. I think I heard it once but can't recall much from it.  Earfquake & Andromeda :clap3:  Sad Day is among my favorite magdalene tracks too. I also wasn't expecting nu-metal from Rina so i'm interested in what other surprises she has in store. 

lover :heart2: sad day :alexz: 

someone that appreciates stfu finally :clap3: 

bags #1... i guess industry plant won! 

Sandy, Lana (interesting pick, but I can see why you like it), Hatchie, Tinasha, Weyes Blood, Tyler, Billie (ilomilo :heart2:), Taylor, Jamila, twigs, Solange and Rina :jonny:

RICKY is disgusting, I hate that hook so much :deadbanana4:

Grimes keeps winning, I can't stand it

Two Danny tracks back to back that high would be justifiable any other year, but I'm glad at least someone liked something he put out this year

Cute #1!

qwhite an intriguing number one. It is a good song though! Without a Blush, Know Better (great Tinasha pick), Andromeda, Baldwin, Sad Day, ilomilo (perhaps my fave on the album too), DWTC, Battle Lines and Earfquake all serves. I'm an ORH.

Good for Danny smashing like this!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.