All Time Hot 100 Songwriters

Ash12345

29 minutes ago, eli's_rhythm said:

I don’t understand how Janet is so low when she’s top 10 on the BB all time chart and has credits on almost all of her singles.

Something is off there. That is ridiculously low. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ash12345

• Fitzswiftie

• JawBreaker

• Mr. Duff

20 hours ago, eli's_rhythm said:

I don’t understand how Janet is so low when she’s top 10 on the BB all time chart and has credits on almost all of her singles.

Every song points is divided by all of the songwriters. She gets 33% of points on songs like "Again" and "Together Again", only 17% of "All for You", 14% of "That's The Way Love Goes", etc. plus there's a few she didn't write + she doesn't have credits for other artists. That's why! (I'm just explaining, not shading by any means lol)

• 3 months later...
On 4/8/2022 at 10:44 PM, eli's_rhythm said:

No credits on Nasty, Control, What Have You Done For Me Lately, When I Think of You, Love Will Never Do, Call On Me & Miss You Much + cowriters on everything else + no songs written for other artists. The people above her are mostly people with a lot of solo written songs, or who wrote songs for several artists.

Ex Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis who contributed to almost all her songs have much more points than her because they got 16,565 points from their contributions to her songs, but also got 20,385 points from songs they wrote for other artists. But they wouldn't appear on the BB All Time chart because they're just songwriters and not artists. Close to half the top 100 is songwriters who wrote most of their songs for other artists and didn't have much of a solo career or band. People like Max Martin, Timbaland, Pharrell, Dr Luke, Savan Kotecha, Stargate, Shellback, Benny Blanco as well as their historical equivalents.

You also had some big groups like the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Bee Gees where 2-3 of their songwriters make the list because they have enough hits that they can divide the points between the members and still make the list.

You also have people that had solo careers + group/band careers which get split on the BB All Time chart but combined on this one. Like George Michael solo + Wham!, Sting solo + The Police, Phil Collins solo + Genesis, Curtis Mayfield solo + The Temptations + a bunch of other acts he wasn't a performer in, Lionel Richie solo + Commodores, Smokey Robinson solo + The Miracles + a whole bunch of other acts.

And then you have artists like Carole King that did have a solo career, but not a huge one, so she still didn't make the BB All Time list, however, she still had only 1 co-writer on most songs and also wrote a huge number of hits for other artists.

Or artists like Bob Dylan who had fewer hits to his name, but no co-writers on most of them. His solo career had like less than 1/3 of Janet's hits, but he rarely had co-writers so he got 96% of the points for his solo career songs. And then he got an even larger number of points for the dozens of hits from songs he wrote for other artists + covers that also became hits. Meanwhile Janet gets only 23.5% of the points from her solo career because she typically had her points split between 3 people in most cases (her, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis), and sometimes others (sometimes due to samples), plus those 7 hits she didn't have credits on. 

Basically just look through all the people above her on the list. Overwhelmingly, their credits will either be split between several acts, or they'll have fewer co-writers than Janet did.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.