HONESTLY, 2019. - Singles (20-1) + Albums (10-1)

TRF.

You posted my album list as honorable mentions oop :psyduck: Lark at 80 something really triggers me. I co-sign Late Night Feelings, Tia Tamera, Motivation and Under the Sun :clap3:

TAMIKA TEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 

8ikwNxb.gif

Chromatics getting acclaim from all lists :jonny:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRF.

• TheWayWeWere

• Remmy

• Lazuli

Late Night Feelings and Too Much :jamming:

Exits deserved better, but at least it made the list :keir:

Don't know the albums this set, but maybe Flume is worth a listen.

house of sugar :clap3: 

whenever i see flume i just keep thinking of him eating ass :rip: 

On 12/21/2019 at 4:19 PM, Sbbmsve said:

You posted my album list as honorable mentions oop :psyduck: Lark at 80 something really triggers me. I co-sign Late Night Feelings, Tia Tamera, Motivation and Under the Sun :clap3:

TAMIKA TEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 

8ikwNxb.gif

Chromatics getting acclaim from all lists :jonny:

as they should period!

9 hours ago, Lazuli said:

house of sugar :clap3: 

whenever i see flume i just keep thinking of him eating ass :rip: 

omg... me too ngl :rip:

• ATRL Moderator

tia tamera. what a bop
late night feelings whew, too much, motivation whew, nro, roof whew, some body a bop, under the sun , yaas she live, tempo, all the time whew, lark woooow, 

for albums tami t was cute, slowthai talent, alex g cute

Ooh I have more to say about the singles so I'll focus on those. Totally agree with you on Late Night Feelings and Too Much is soooooo cute. I feel it could have been a hit too since random people who don't listen to Carly ever know the song and really like it.

Good pick for ionna oop- even if the album sucked. Ignoring the Lizzo shade because Tempo is great. 

He - talent! Same with LA, I have to SCREAM I love that damn gif/video.

idIXc1S.png

OVaLsJQ.png

#80.

Kim Gordon

"Sketch Artist"

from the album 'No Home Record'

Hearing this for the first time truly blew me away... she's so innovative and intelligent it's truly scary.

#79.

Bree Runway

"2ON"

from the EP 'Be Runway'

Another track that blew me away in first listen, Bree has a really powerful personality and rode that beat like there was no tomorrow!

#78.

Klein

"Claim It"

from the album 'Lifetime'

Truly has that London night vibe I love. Dark and atmospheric yet very rhythmic.

#77.

Aly & AJ

"Church"

from the album 'Sanctuary'

Honestly love this song so much! Especially the "for the all the times I can't reverse" part. Kind of reminds me of Sky Ferreira, only way softer.

#76.

Holly Herndon

"Frontier"

from the album 'PROTO'

Makes me feel like I'm ascending to a deconstructed club heaven.

#75.

Danny Brown

"Dirty Laundry"

from the album 'uknowhatimsayin¿'

Wish the rest of the album was as fun as this!

#74.

HAIM

"Now I'm in It"

This literally sounds like their take on Robyn. They really have been delivering this era, haven't they? Not the last time you'll see them here!

#73.

Clarice Falcão

"Esvaziou"

from the album 'Tem conserto'

I don't know enough Portuguese to truly understand what's being said but it still makes me really emotional.

#72.

yeule

"Pixel Affection"

from the album 'Serotonin II'

If you think about it for a while, she kinda has what Grimes wants.

#71.

Injury Reserve feat. Rico Nasty & Pro Teens

"Jawbreaker"

from the album 'Injury Reserve'

One of my favorite Rico verses and one of my favorite Injury Reserve beats ever too.

#70.

Jessie Ware

"Adore You"

I was gonna say this was too Honey-esque until I found out the dude from Metronomy produced it. Jessie fits so well with this sound, queen ate that!

#69.

TR/ST

"Colossal"

from the album 'The Destroyer - 1'

Such a sensual, dark song. Truly everything I wanted from a TR/ST comeback.

#68.

Burial

"Claustro"

from the compilation 'Tunes 2011-2019'

Obviously this is his take on speed garage but also feels vaguely eurodance-y? Totally played this during night while I was in London.

#67.

Sunmi

"Noir"

My k-pop single of the year I think!

#66.

Yves Tumor feat. Hirakish & Napolian

"Applaud"

Clap everybody clap woo!

#65.

Bad Bunny

"Callaita"

Really dumb but really emotional? And the production is fantastic too. Bad Bunny my king what can I do for you today?

#64.

Yung Lean

"Blue Plastic"

I know he's really talented and musically diverse but I didn't know he had *this* in him to be honest.

#63.

Mabe Fratti

"Todo lo que querías saber"

from the album 'Pies sobre la tierra'

One of my sad anthems of 2019.

#62.

Bat for Lashes

"Kids in the Dark"

from the album 'Lost Girls'

One of the best tracks from that album in my opinion, does the 80's nostalgia thing the best.

#61.

clipping., The Rita, ElCamino & Benny the Butcher

"La Mala Ordina"

from the album 'There Existed an Addiction to Blood'

Amazing production and the noise outro (which really lasts for about half of the duration of the track) is mind blowing too.

• ATRL Moderator

Rakky Ripper sounds like something I'll either love or hate!

Aly & AJ :)

Church is flawless :jonny: we need more music from them than just an EP once in a year

Adore You :clap3: 

Now I'm In It :smitten: ugh, they gonna serve with H3

A very controversial set of album HMs :eek: 

There's a lot to go through but there's quite some interesting single choices and album choices!

Motivation, Tempo, Starry Night, Song 32, and Late Night Feelings :clap3: Not really familiar with the following set of singles :thing:

Don't really know the albums either :thing:  I had planned on listening to the Flume album but I completely forgot about it :rip: 

Now Im In It is amazing :jonny5: wasn't expecting them to come for me like this

Church is cute :jamming:

Adore You and Kids in the Dark are two amazing songs I wish I had checked out sooner!

Sugar Drug Den, Closer to Grey, Animated Violence Mild

8ikwNxb.gif

all those serves, your mind :clap3: Sketch Artist, Frontier, NIII, Pixel Affection, Jawbreaker, Adore You, Noir, Applaud and KITD whew

idIXc1S.png

qOm01hO.png

a1452803260_16.jpg

STREAM

#40.

Uniform & The Body

Everything That Dies Someday Comes Back

Genre: Industrial Metal, Electro-Industrial

Power Electronics, Drone Metal, Noise Rock, Chopped and Screwed

On Mental Wounds Not Healing their first collaboration album, noise-metal bands Uniform and The Body, released some of their most abrasive music to date, pushing themselves forward to the fullest. Their second collaborative album Everything That Dies Someday Comes Back is, by comparison, not so heavy. But they still push their music forward to exciting and experimental directions (EBM! witch house! chopped and screwed?!?!) while maintaining the primal, violent nature of all their music. I hope they keep on working together, because they're a perfect match.

Highlights: "Vacancy", "Patron Saint of Regret", "Penance", "Day of Atonement", "Contempt"

You'll like it if you like: Nine Inch Nails, Ministry, Godflesh, HEALTH

a2005771687_16.jpg

STREAM

#39.

Octo Octa

Resonant Body

Genre: Deep House, Breakbeat

Acid House, Jungle, Ambient

Resonant Body is Maya Bouldry-Morrison's third solo album as Octo Octa, and it's probably one of her most beautiful works to date. Made in December 2018 in New Hampshire and inspired by a sense of community among trans people, love, hope, healing and survival, it's a wonderful mixture of heavy breakbeats and ethereal house music that warms both the heart and the dancefloors.

Highlights: "Move Your Body", "Deep Connections", "Spin Girl, Let's Activate!", "Ecstatic Beat"

You'll like it if you like: DJ Sprinkles, Honey Dijon, Skee Mask, Lone

a4110479088_16.jpg

STREAM

#38.

Fennesz

Agora

Genre: Ambient, Electroacoustic

Drone, Space Ambient

Austrian musician Christian Fennesz is probably one of the most brilliant experimental electronic musicians of all time, and on his album Agora he really proves it. Compared to most of his recent works and collaborations, he made this record exclusively on his bedroom on his headphones with very minimal equipment. However, Fennesz still managed to make the best out of this situation, crafting rich and lush soundscapes that make up what is probably one of his most interesting releases in a while.

Highlights: "Rainfall", "Agora"

You'll like it if you like: William Basinski, Huerco S., lovesliescrushing

a3544291921_16.jpg

STREAM

#37.

E-Saggila

My World My Way

Genre: Deconstructed Club, Industrial Techno

Hardcore EDM, Noise

"Deconstructed" or "avant-garde" club music has kind of run out of gas in the past few months in some way, with a lot of stuff coming out and not a lot of it being interesting enough to stand out. At first I thought E-Saggila's My World My Way to be one of these, but fortunately, this album by the Iraqi-born, Toronto-based producer showed itself with repeated listens to be much more. It's a record that takes from noise as much as it does from high-BPM techno, and manages to be weird, dark and unpredictable without leaving bangers behind.

Highlights: "Aziza", "Crimson Liquescence", "Alia" (feat. Thoom)

You'll like it if you like: Atari Teenage Riot, Lotic, Ziúr, Croatian Amor

a0822039343_16.jpg

STREAM

#36.

Jay Mitta

Tatizo Pesa

Genre: Singeli

Nyege Nyege Tapes has been putting out some of the most interesting electronic music of the past few years, and Tanzanian producer Jay Mitta's Tatizo Pesa might be their best release to date. This is less chaotic than the music of fellow Dar Es Salaam producers DUKE and Bamba Pana, and less raw than singeli maestro's Sisso, yet it strikes a midpoint between more accessible club music from the continent with the typical fast-paced, extremely high BPM typical of singeli. Rarely have I heard music that is as intense and fast as it is fun.

Highlights: "2015", "Tatizo Pesa" (feat. Dogo Janja), "Don Bet", "Sio Star", "Dura", "Mpya Singeri"

You'll like it if you like: Sisso, Bamba Pana, Nídia, Elysia Crampton

Resultado de imagen para mc tha rito de passa album cover

STREAM

#35.

MC Tha

Rito de passá

Genre: Funk Melody

Tecnobrega, Art Pop, Brega-funk

In the past few years, Brazilian baile funk has gone a long way from the favelas in Rio, becoming a genre widely known, with international artists ranging from Madonna to Jennifer Lopez trying taking a piece of the cake, and at the same time, making the genre lose a bit of its essence. MC Tha is kind of the antithesis to that. While her debut album Rito de passá is definitely a pop take on Brazilian funk, it is interesting enough and has a lot of experimentation, as well as exploring her own spirituality and personal history, keeping the soul of the genre alive. It is what contemporary Brazilian pop should be like.

Highlights: "Rito de passá", "Clima quente", "Océano", "Avisa lá", "Comigo ninguém pode"

You'll like it if you like: Linn Da Quebrada, Pabllo Vittar, Kelela, Empress Of

a1977950521_16.jpg

STREAM

#34.

Nivhek

After its own death/Walking in a spiral

Genre: Ambient, Drone

Minimalism, Field Recording, Ethereal Wave

In this last decade, Liz Harris, or Grouper, released several of the most interesting and acclaimed works within ambient music. Her most recent project, released under the name Nivhek, may not be as different from her other releases on first listen, but the double LP After Its Own Death / Walking in a Spiral Towards the House reveals its originality subtly. This is not guitar or piano-based, but rather based on unusual structures. Both parts of After Its Own Death function as "collages" of ideas associated with Harris' style, such as field recordings or reverb. Meanwhile, Walking in a Spiral Towards the House is somewhat minimalist and even repetitive, but it still keeps you on edge with every sound you hear on it, closing in a rather grandiose way one of Harris' most beautiful and avant-garde albums. 

Highlights: "After its own death Side A", "After its own death Side B"

You'll like it if you like: Grouper, Tim Hecker, Natural Slow Buildings

a1340978567_16.jpg

STREAM

#33.

Klein

Lifetime

Genre: Post-Industrial, Sound Collage

Dark Ambient, Glitch, Field Recordings, Noise, UK Bass

Lifetime is Klein's most personal and darkest album, which takes her away from pop and R&B inspired collages into something more "stripped". But despite its haunting, grim tone and very experimental nature, it does not necessarily bask in self-indulgence or rely too heavily on its “concept”, but rather sounds like an expression coming from a genuine place, one that also happens to be sonically engaging. What Klein does is unique on its own merits and terms, coming through with a release that demonstrates her capabilities not only as an inventive producer, but also as a storyteller. 

Highlights: "Lifetime", "Claim It", "Listen and See as They Take", "For What Worth" (feat. Matana Roberts), "Honour", "99"

You'll like it if you like: Yves Tumor, Burial, The Haxan Cloak

a3961703705_16.jpg

STREAM

#32.

Hannah Diamond

Reflections

Genre: Bubblegum Bass, Electropop

Art Pop, Glitch Pop, Ambient Pop, Vocal Trance, Synthpop

Reflections was intended to be released a few years ago. But then it wasn't. Maybe the reception to it would have been somewhat different, it would be seen as a very innovative pop record or something of the sort. However, this doesn't mean there isn't anything of worth in Hannah Diamond's debut album, much to the contrary, it feels like a revelation of everything she's been capable of doing since 2013 with everyone else on PC Music, giving it a very emotional and personal twist, with lyrics that hit like the strongest of bullets.

Highlights: "Reflections", "Invisible", "Love Goes On", "Never Again", "The Ending", "Fade Away"

You'll like it if you like: A.G. Cook, Charli XCX, Björk, Robyn

a1907726501_16.jpg

STREAM

#31.

Mavi

Let the Sun Talk

Genre: Abstract Hip Hop, Jazz Rap

Conscious Hip Hop, Experimental Hip Hop, Glitch Hop

It would be very easy to paint Mavi as an act truly indebted to Earl Sweatshirt and the like - and considering they have collaborated more than once, it maybe does make sense. But Mavi is a force of his own, and he lets it all shine through on his debut project Let the Sun Talk. Over lo-fi-esque, glitchy production and samples he delivers bars full of personality and passion, with lyrics that are playful and wise beyond his years. If that's what his debut sounds like, one can only imagine what he's going to do in the future.

Highlights: "Eye, I and I, and Nation", "Daylight Savings", "Selflove", "Ghost", "Sense", "Omavi", "Moonfire"

You'll like it if you like: Earl Sweatshirt, MIKE, Standing on the Corner

Now I'm In It + Church :clap3:

Haven't heard these but Mavi sounds interesting so I'm interested in checking that out :duck: 

I waited Hannah album for years, so ending record was..just not really satisfying tbh :rip: 

On 12/22/2019 at 10:46 PM, Madame X said:

Rakky Ripper sounds like something I'll either love or hate!

Hopefully you end up liking her!

On 12/23/2019 at 9:47 AM, theblackestday said:

Wait this update is a serve from start to finish... love u

hey babygirl mwah!

10 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

I waited Hannah album for years, so ending record was..just not really satisfying tbh :rip: 

I def get that :rip:

update shortly!

#60.

Linn Da Quebrada

"Oração"

Gorgeous gospel-influenced art pop about trans identity in Brazil, something made for people to really feel emotions. Not what I expected from Linn, but a testament to her sonic diversity.

#59.

Jasper Lotti

"Take U There"

from the EP 'XOskeleton'

Need more reggaeton that samples Bulgarian folk music.

#58.

Chromatics

"The Sound of Silence"

from the album 'Closer to Grey'

Simon and Garfunkel found dead.

#57.

Lana Del Rey

"Doin' Time"

from the album 'Norman ****ing Rockwell!'

If last year you'd told me one of my fav songs of the year would be a Lana Del Rey cover of Sublime... I would have believed it somehow.

#56.

Isabella Lovestory

"Humo"

from the EP 'Humo'

Dark reggaeton with a dirty beat and an insanely catchy hook. But the bridge is easily the best part of the song... those synths... Yes amor!

#55.

Tyler, the Creator feat. Playboi Carti

"Earfquake"

from the album 'IGOR'

Don't LEAVE... it's MY... FAULT

#54.

Haim

"Summer Girl"

This is a kind of servery I always wanted from them. Wasn't really love in first listen for me, but it grew with time. Sounds like what they've always done, really, but definitely more evolved.

#53.

Lingua Ignota

"Do You Doubt Me Traitor?"

from 'Caligula'

Nine minutes in hell.

#52.

Weyes Blood

"Andromeda"

from 'Titanic Rising'

I feel like listening to this song is what made me truly interested in Natalie. I always liked her but this just sold me on her completely.

#51.

Flume feat. London Grammar

"Let You Know"

I have this random memory attached to this song which is when I was in London, I was in a mall in Soho trying to buy clothes for cheap and this song was playing. Always makes me think of that city, I love that.

#50.

Sky Ferreira

"Downhill Lullaby"

Spare album MA'AM?!?!?!?

#49.

Giant Swan

"55 Year Old Daughter"

from the album Giant Swan

The kind of techno music that makes you want to smash your skull against a wall, in a good way.

#48.

Bladee & Mechatok

"All I Want"

This is so dumb and probably pretty flawed but like... this is exactly what I needed from them in some way? Dancehall-flavored dance-pop suits both Bladee and Mechatok I guess!

#47.

black midi

"Ducter"

from the album Schlagenheim

A powerful way to end such a strong and powerful album.

#46.

Flo Milli

"Beef FloMix"

FLO MILLI **** BITCH

#45.

Blanck Mass

"Love Is a Parasite"

from the album Animated Violence Mild

A track that is definitely electronic music but has the intensity of black metal and noise. One of the most glorious moments on his album.

#44.

Kilo Kish

"Spark"

from the EP REDUX

Sounds like witch house, but definitely under her own style and vibe.

#43.

Nilüfer Yanya

"Heat Rises"

from the album Miss Universe

Probably one of the poppiest songs on her debut album, gained so much once I was able to understand the lyrics.

#42.

Slowthai

"Nothing Great About Britain"

from the album Nothing Great About Britain

Slowthai what can I do for you my king? He ended Boris Johnson!

#41.

Bad Bunny

"Ni bien ni mal"

from the album x100pre

I did not expect it... I was chilling at home!

Need to get around to listen to that Uniform/The Body album, the last one was cute, same with Fennesz and Nivhek

Chromatics, Lana, Tyler, HAIM, Lingua, Weyes Blood, black midi, Blanck Mass, Kilo Kish, Nilüfer and slowthai snapped period

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.