Sexism in Spotify Top 100 Streamed Tracks

Pop Art

Only 31% of songs have a credited female artist (solo, co-lead, or feature).

Only 19% of songs have a female/female group in a lead role (solo or co-lead).

Only 8% of songs are solo female tracks.

vs.

91% of songs have a credited male artist (solo, co-lead, or feature).

87% of songs have a male/male group in a lead role (solo or co-lead).

49% of songs are solo male/male group tracks.

Wish I could say I was shocked. :shakeno:

Just as bad if not worse than the way radio treats female artists :shakeno:

The GP prefers males in general, it’s been always like this in every music platform since the beginning of times.

Just now, Trent W said:

The GP prefers males in general, it’s been always like this in every music platform since the beginning of times.

This isn't true, it goes through fluctuations

I mean, theoretically speaking MALES (esp. Good Looking) has a much wider demographic than FEMALES (gays and teens? Only)

1 minute ago, Insanity said:

Receipts?

Unfortunately, you'll have do the math (I did, that's how I got the percentages in the OP), but the Top 100 is publicly available and edited daily on Wiki. :hug:

16 minutes ago, Planet Mars said:

This isn't true, it goes through fluctuations

No. In general males are more succesful but it also has to do with the popularity of a genre. Women are more likely to dominate pop genres so now that the urban genres took over they face even more difficulties.

Let's say in 2010-2014 when pop was dominating the success was 50-50

Now it's 75-25. I don't think there was ever a period when women were ever far more successful than men. (not just one or two years because that doesnt really mean anything and could be explained because of releases by blockbusters) 

Male artists: all demos

Female artists: all but straight men

Losing out on straight men aka the biggest chunk of the GP definitely hurts women in music. Bar the occasional ubiquitous smashes women have, men have better streams generally across their discog. 

Yeah, people might say they don't listen to music based on gender but there's such a huge discrepancy in streams between male and female artists it's insane.

Yeah I think that males have a wider demographic appeal. A shame that many males consider listening to female artists ''gay'' or ''feminine'' (as if they are bad things, which they aren't), bull**** ofc.

There was this one guy who was listening to Hailee Steinfeld and told me it was because of her looks.

Like..dude tf :deadbanana4:

Male music tends to be more consumed, but when  females smash, they smash way harder. Mariah, Céline, Whitney in the 90's, Britney in early 2000's, Gaga and Adele during early 2010's were leagues above any male competition in terms of both sales and celebrity. (Eminem rivaled Britney in sales, but Britney clearly had the upper hand on cultural impact/fame/media appeal).

2 hours ago, Feanor said:

Most straight men don’t listen to women unfortunately 

I don’t think that’s odd, they can’t really relate to lyrics about wanting to **** some guy or whatever 

21 minutes ago, getinthezone said:

I don’t think that’s odd, they can’t really relate to lyrics about wanting to **** some guy or whatever 

Never understood that. I just listen like she's singing about me :cm: 

No sexism, it just shows what people are listening too. And that includes more male songs than female songs.

At least female songs are always properly promoted by Spotify. 

25 minutes ago, getinthezone said:

you can say same thing to malr artist lyrics. lol 

anyone can't see the sexism in this context is dumb. 

sadly it's not just spotify. male artists are consumed by every gender while female artists struggle with (straight) male audience. which is like 50% of market.

then you add extra details like how female artists are seen as "less" artist, in chart of their music no matter what genre or image they have.

6 minutes ago, sadnews said:

you can say same thing to malr artist lyrics. lol 

anyone can't see the sexism in this context is dumb. 

straight males cant relate to straight male lyrics? what

1 minute ago, getinthezone said:

No, he means that, following that argument, women should not be able to relate to a man being in love with a woman or a man wanting to have sex with a woman and it is not the case. 

Just now, getinthezone said:

no I mean feamle audience listening male artist lyrics.

you said male audience can't relate to female rtist lyrics. but reverse that..

female audience has no problem listening male artist.

14 minutes ago, BnPac said:

No, he means that, following that argument, women should not be able to relate to a man being in love with a woman or a man wanting to have sex with a woman and it is not the case. 

14 minutes ago, sadnews said:

no I mean feamle audience listening male artist lyrics.

you said male audience can't relate to female rtist lyrics. but reverse that..

female audience has no problem listening male artist.

That’s true

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.