Billboard adds paywall to most charts

shelven

Billboard has recently introduced a paywall on almost all of its weekly charts. Doing a quick search, it seems like the only charts that have remained free to access are the Hot 100, Billboard 200 and Artist 100. All other charts, including the genre charts and the "component" charts (Digital Songs, Radio Songs, Streaming Songs) now only show you the Top 2.

All the other charts can be accessed by becoming a Billboard Pro member, with plans beginning at $10.99 per month.

You can see the top 10 or so if you scroll and screenshot really fast but :jonny2:

at least with that, they improved the bubbling under cuz before you had to pay to see more than the top 3, but worse overall

Really??? I guess that UKMIX will really get a following now!

Canadian Hot 100 got screwed 

Screaming @ how some of yall wont even know what your faves positions are anymore...

where will barbz pull their irrelevant chart positions now?

48 minutes ago, shelven said:

All the other charts can be accessed by becoming a Billboard Pro member, with plans beginning at $10.99 per month.

Not $11 to see chart positions and music news, i have to laugh

15 minutes ago, Holiest Dreams said:

So will the weekly article be paywall'd now as well? :rip: 

Oh yeah, the OP didn't include that, but I read that. Just remembered. That's like the worst part tbh:jonny2:

The only relevant charts are still free though and that's all that matters :michael:

• ATRL Moderator

Here for Rolling Stones becoming the relevant US chart :clap3:

1 hour ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

Oh yeah, the OP didn't include that, but I read that. Just remembered. That's like the worst part tbh:jonny2:

So annoying :psyduck: acharts.co should’ve put Digital / Radio / Streaming Songs chart into their algorithm already

3 hours ago, brianc33710 said:

Really??? I guess that UKMIX will really get a following now!

The year to date threads and decade threads on UKMIX were always a much better source of info than Billboard anyway.

But what I'm worried about is an earlier news article about Billboard purchasing Soundscan. Perhaps they are going to hunt down anyone leaking Soundscan data or at least making the access more difficult for people.

I still see all the positions before the "sorry, you have to be a pro member" thing comes up. 

There are always videos uploaded online of these charts, that’s how I kept track of Bubbling Under in the first place :michael:

Was this advertised literally anywhere in advance?

Sad to see content I’ve browsed for a decade locked behind some ridiculous paywall. I’m relatively certain only a very small number of people will put up with this nonsense and pay. I certainly won’t.

Hopefully they get enough backlash & change it back. They’ve done similar stunts in the past & reversed them

I found some twitter threads implying they didn’t even tell their own partners and freelancers about this before doing it. What a way to treat your content generators.

5 hours ago, Letemtalk said:

But what I'm worried about is an earlier news article about Billboard purchasing Soundscan. Perhaps they are going to hunt down anyone leaking Soundscan data or at least making the access more difficult for people.

Ugh. I hope not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.