Old Town Road officially breaks record

iHype.

1 hour ago, wanderlust said:

Do your research. This song (and some others maybe) by Mariah are known to have gotten those 1s through pure cheating. There’s many articles about it, so you can look it up.

lol, the ignorance.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Green

• Mr.Fenty

• UNNAMI

• brianc33710

1 hour ago, Sinister said:

Lol.

Up until 1995, songs didnt even debut in the top 10. That year alone, MJ was the first artist to debut in the top 5 and we got 4 #1 debuts, one of which went on to break the record for most weeks at #1.

In fact, the record for longest stay at #1 was broken 3 times in the span of 4 years.

Boyz II Men broke it in 1992 with End of the Road for 13 weeks. Then in that same year, Whitney broke it with I Will Always Love You for 14 weeks. It was matched in 1994 by B2M again with I'll Make Love To You. Then it was broken by OSD 1995-1996

With the introduction of Soundscan in 1991, things that were once considered "anomolies" were constantly being broken. This is nothing new as history clearly contradicts what you are trying to claim

I’m confused are you saying that 10+ week #1 singles and #1 debuts aren’t/weren’t anomalies? 

Like I would think a record taking of 20 years to be broken would make it an anomaly. 

There were 4 #1 debuts in 2018 and the last time that happened was over 20 years ago in 1995. 

26 minutes ago, BussyFart said:

I’m confused are you saying that 10+ week #1 singles and #1 debuts aren’t/weren’t anomalies? 

Like I would think a record taking of 20 years to be broken would make it an anomaly. 

There were 4 #1 debuts in 2018 and the last time that happened was over 20 years ago in 1995. 

What I'm saying is that in 1995, we had the exact same phenomenon happening as now.

In the span of 4 months, Billboard witnessed the first four songs to ever debut at #1. There were 3 consecutive turnovers where the top songs all had debuted at #1. The former went on to hold the title for most weeks spent at #1 (surpassing the previous record by 2 weeks). #1 debuts were popping up a lot in the coming years.

You initial claim was things that were once anomalies are becoming are happening more often now.

The same thing could have been said in 1995. 16 weeks is still an anomaly, and so will 17 weeks. The real anomaly is OTR's dominance in and of itself. The points that it has had throughout its reign is unprecedented.

Everytime we've looked at a songs dominance to see if it would break the record, something always came out of nowhere to cut snatch. The fact that OTR managed to best the likes of Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran and Bieber is telling that this is a crazy situation 

Again, it's still not a common occurrence. He will have it for quite some time.

37 minutes ago, Sinister said:

You initial claim was things that were once anomalies are becoming are happening more often now.

The same thing could have been said in 1995. 16 weeks is still an anomaly, and so will 17 weeks. The real anomaly is OTR's dominance in and of itself. The points that it has had throughout its reign is unprecedented.

Everytime we've looked at a songs dominance to see if it would break the record, something always came out of nowhere to cut snatch. The fact that OTR managed to best the likes of Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran and Bieber is telling that this is a crazy situation 

1995 was over 20 years ago though and a lot has changed. So I’m saying we've been getting longer #1 singles and more #1 debuts as of late. Like we would’ve had 6 #1 debuts this year alone if it weren’t for OTRs dominance. I think with virality being key to a hit and Lil Nas giving labels a new blueprint to follow he might not hold the record for as long as Mariah and Boyz 2 Men. Maybe my 2 year estimation was too low but I don’t know about another 20+ years until it’s broken. I’d love to be wrong though... 

Maybe Spotify launching in the US in 2011 will lead to constant record breaks just like the introduction of soundscan in ‘91. 

2 hours ago, Touchdown said:

lol, the ignorance.

5 hours ago, JoshSpears1805 said:

not congrats, Mariah done it without cheating 

Fact: One Sweet Day would have gone 20 weeks at #1, if it wasn't for Sony's decision to KILL the single and stop the promotion for it.  The success of the song was so huge that it was eating away from Daydream's album sales, that's why they had to kill it.

BeautifulFighter
6 hours ago, JoshSpears1805 said:

not congrats, Mariah done it without cheating 

Those 49 cent singles that were given to stores for free say hello. 

3 hours ago, Touchdown said:

lol, the ignorance.

He is right sis, it has been well documented skskskks :)

2 hours ago, Sinister said:

What I'm saying is that in 1995, we had the exact same phenomenon happening as now.

In the span of 4 months, Billboard witnessed the first four songs to ever debut at #1. There were 3 consecutive turnovers where the top songs all had debuted at #1. The former went on to hold the title for most weeks spent at #1 (surpassing the previous record by 2 weeks). #1 debuts were popping up a lot in the coming years.

Exactly my points. Totally agree . 

1 hour ago, BussyFart said:

1995 was over 20 years ago though and a lot has changed. So I’m saying we've been getting longer #1 singles and more #1 debuts as of late. Like we would’ve had 6 #1 debuts this year alone if it weren’t for OTRs dominance. I think with virality being key to a hit and Lil Nas giving labels a new blueprint to follow he might not hold the record for as long as Mariah and Boyz 2 Men. Maybe my 2 year estimation was too low but I don’t know about another 20+ years until it’s broken. I’d love to be wrong though... 

Maybe Spotify launching in the US in 2011 will lead to constant record breaks just like the introduction of soundscan in ‘91. 

SO now you've changed from 2 to a random undefined number. The swift change.. 

1 hour ago, Conservative said:

Fact: One Sweet Day would have gone 20 weeks at #1, if it wasn't for Sony's decision to KILL the single and stop the promotion for it.  The success of the song was so huge that it was eating away from Daydream's album sales, that's why they had to kill it.

Yeah this is a complete and utter lie, and this never happened.

Stop embarrassing the lambily sis. 

12 minutes ago, BeautifulFighter said:

SO now you've changed from 2 to a random undefined number. The swift change.. 

Ok, how about 5?? source.gif

Like my point was that I think the record will be broken again a lot sooner than most people think. 

Edited by BussyFart

BeautifulFighter
2 minutes ago, BussyFart said:

Ok, how about 5?? source.gif

Like my point was that I think the record will be broken again a lot sooner than most people think. 

And we don't agree with you because your opinion is based on incorrect assumptions and a fundamentally FLAWED theory. Get it ?

You really have no idea. 

10 minutes ago, BeautifulFighter said:

And we don't agree with you because your opinion is based on incorrect assumptions and a fundamentally FLAWED theory. Get it ?

You really have no idea. 

Ok??? It’s an opinion on a chart forum where we all make assumptions and predictions. It’s not that deep, chill. 

So 18 weeks at #1 is already on lock. That's great. Hoping Ariana debuts at #1, though. OTR can get its 19th week at #1 later.

6 hours ago, Tempo said:

He never cheated, tho. He had enought points every single week to be 1 even without the remixes.

Okay. I have been a big fan of Mariah Carey/Nunez dating back to her "Vision Of Love" days.  So, I have followed her through her almost 30-year career.   Actually, since I liked Brenda K. Starr's "I Still Believe," which features Carey's/Nunez's background vocals I guess back before VOL.

Having made this clear, we need to go back through her chart history which only presets Sound Scan by 18 months.  Cassette Singles usually costed $3.50, and CD singles costed around $4.  When she was married to Tommy Motolla at Sony, he would regularly lower her cassette singles to $0.50 and CD singles to $1.  Gary Trust, who is a also big Mariah Carey fan, realizes looking back, that she and/or her labor "cheated" to get songs to #1 that would go nowhere close on airplay alone.

As far as remixes, Mariah Carey first used this tactic early on when "Fantasy" was #1.  Carey bumped Coolio's "Gangster's Paradise" down to #2 when she debuted.  The only problem is that GP kept gaining on Fantasy.  So, she released a Fantasy remix with "Old Dirty Bastard" to keep her at #1, and Coolio stuck at #2.  GP won the biggest award, getting #1 Hot 100 YE 1995.  Gary Trust even wrote about this in one of the OTR articles this past week.

The Git up and If I Can't Have you had very random streams increases that I don't know where they come from?  :skull:

The Git up even had a decrease according to youtube music insights and If I can't you is not even in the top 100 of US youtube.

21 hours ago, Armani? said:

Why isn't Blueface credited on that NLE Choppa song yet(Shotta Flow)?

I don't know but it seems like they didn't count the views of that video called Shotta Flow 3. With those views it would be #23, and without them it's at #36.

I think OTR will stay at #1 until September when the summer winds down. It's the clear song of the summer at this point and I don't think anyone is going to change that - not even Taylor or Ariana.

5 hours ago, Green said:

The Git up and If I Can't Have you had very random streams increases that I don't know where they come from?  :skull:

The Git up even had a decrease according to youtube music insights and If I can't you is not even in the top 100 of US youtube.

Im sure The Git Up is getting tons of views from user generated vids like OTR, so thats not that surprising

but yea, IICHY huge random rise is kinda suspect

Edited by moonlight!

5 hours ago, Green said:

I don't know but it seems like they didn't count the views of that video called Shotta Flow 3. With those views it would be #23, and without them it's at #36.

Shotta Flow 3 is a different song. It's not exactly a remix. It's a sequel.

15 hours ago, brianc33710 said:

Okay. I have been a big fan of Mariah Carey/Nunez dating back to her "Vision Of Love" days.  So, I have followed her through her almost 30-year career.   Actually, since I liked Brenda K. Starr's "I Still Believe," which features Carey's/Nunez's background vocals I guess back before VOL.

Having made this clear, we need to go back through her chart history which only presets Sound Scan by 18 months.  Cassette Singles usually costed $3.50, and CD singles costed around $4.  When she was married to Tommy Motolla at Sony, he would regularly lower her cassette singles to $0.50 and CD singles to $1.  Gary Trust, who is a also big Mariah Carey fan, realizes looking back, that she and/or her labor "cheated" to get songs to #1 that would go nowhere close on airplay alone.

As far as remixes, Mariah Carey first used this tactic early on when "Fantasy" was #1.  Carey bumped Coolio's "Gangster's Paradise" down to #2 when she debuted.  The only problem is that GP kept gaining on Fantasy.  So, she released a Fantasy remix with "Old Dirty Bastard" to keep her at #1, and Coolio stuck at #2.  GP won the biggest award, getting #1 Hot 100 YE 1995.  Gary Trust even wrote about this in one of the OTR articles this past week.

Not to mention Mariah is literally the reason BB put a minimum for the price of a song on iTunes to count for their chart

Wasnt "We Belong Together" first week at #1 based on free downloads from her fan site?

Mariah literally figured out the perfect craft for using chart tactics for her advantage. That's not a bad thing because she succeeded, but call a spade a spade

If drake will release music video to any of the songs he may block ariana from getting #2 position. Otr will be 1

Just now, UNNAMI said:

If drake will release music video to any of the songs he may block ariana from getting #2 position. Otr will be 1

They're all old songs that are just being added to streaming services.

7 hours ago, Sinister said:

Wasnt "We Belong Together" first week at #1 based on free downloads from her fan site?

Yeah, and who ever put together their Hot 100 at the time said that BB was later than normal because they tried to track down the 25 k source. Within 1-2 wks, WBT set such high airplay audience records that WBT didn't need the 25 k to have helped it reach #1.  Carey was always a sales artist.  So the fact that her biggest song ever was probably the biggest radio song of all time (Peak AI and 16#1 wks) is rather ironic.

A hot, classy, talented black KING :clap3: 

I just checked and Nas Maraj stopped releasing remixes and random videos for OTR. The BTS remix is not discounted anymore and ready to free fall. The other remixes are falling too.

It seems like a new #1 is finally coming after 18 weeks  :jonny5:

Ariana Vs. Billie for the next #1

Let's see how Ariana will do. Boyfriend already has over 5 million streams on youtube after 7 hours (official video + audio)

Poor Billie if something like this happens next week:

1. Ariana DEBUT

2. Billie =

3. Nas Maraj -2

:sad:

32 minutes ago, Green said:

1. Ariana DEBUT

2. Billie =

3. Nas Maraj -2

Bad Romance/Empire State of Mind/TiK ToK teas

36 minutes ago, Green said:

1. Ariana DEBUT

2. Billie =

3. Nas Maraj -2

it will be 1.ariana,2. nas maraj. 3.billie...and senorita -if the vma's performance will be iconic- is next for the number one.I don't see 'truth hurts' be a number one smash...probably truth hurts will have a #2 peak

Edited by sakisfan16

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.