Billboard Charts (March 26-April 1, 2017)

iHype.

20 minutes ago, alexanderao said:

You can add "[4 days]" to More Life :fan: 

5 days to If You're Reading This  :cm:

Don't know why people are whining about streams in 2017. It's a sign of popularity/consumption, which is the point of the chart. If It didn't exist he'd make up for it in sales. 

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• alexanderao

• DELE2125

• iHype.

Yeah people are no longer buying CDs and still use digital but not as much.

Good for him.

TALENT WON! 

STANS CAN STAY PRESSED ABOUT STREAMING!

F3a1tp.gif 

7 minutes ago, thedastardly said:

5 days to If You're Reading This  :cm:

If You're Reading This It's Too Late moved 535,000 units in the week ending Feb. 15, according to Nielsen Music, with pure album sales comprising 495,000 of that figure -- all from digital downloads.

Industry forecasters had projected the set to sell over 500,000 copies, but it fell just short of that half-million threshold. Still, it's a remarkable start for an album that arrived with no notice, was sold only through digital retail, is termed a mixtape by Drake (and not a proper studio album) and only had a little more than three days of sales powering its debut. The new set was released in the evening of Thursday, Feb. 12 through Young Money/Cash Money/Republic Records. The tracking week ended at the close of business on Sunday, Feb. 15.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6473126/billboard-200-drake-surprise-album-debuts-at-no-1-fifty-shades

Now I just need Passionfruit to ascend to the top so he can have another chart double. :chick3: It seems like a bit of a reach at this point, though.

Proud of him.

More Life is a really great project. :clap3: 

1 hour ago, Mariano said:

The power he has in the states :jonny: 

Imagine if he released an official album with a promo schedule and a huge single :skull: 1M or sure. 

and his career wouldve been cut short by now due to overexposure

Edited by FutureHive

29 minutes ago, alexanderao said:

Now I just need Passionfruit to ascend to the top so he can have another chart double. :chick3: It seems like a bit of a reach at this point, though.

If he had pulled off a One Dance (i,e releasing it a couple of weeks in advance) maybe but for now it's still taking off on radio. Still hope it goes #1 though.

8 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

But the poor sales will be justified because it was a "mixtape".

And it will be the same people defending drakes lack of sales as wonderful, that just last week ripped Ed for bad sales and being a "star".

Some of you shouldn't talk about Rap if you don't know anything about it 

Um. Did you link this very thread in the OP instead of the BB article?

Wow :clap3:

Starboy - 1,425,000 (515k pure sales est.)
24K Magic - 1,191,000 (753k pure sales)

Divide - 750,000 (462k pure sales est.)

More Life - 505,000 (225k pure sales)

23 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

Um. Did you link this very thread in the OP instead of the BB article?

@iHype.

47 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

And it will be the same people defending drakes lack of sales as wonderful, that just last week ripped Ed for bad sales and being a "star".

You're really comparing a well-promoted album, with a #1 smash hit preceding it, to a mixtape that was randomly dropped, without any promo and didn't even have a full tracking week? :deadbanana:

People pressed over Drake's iconic success and the reality that STREAMING is IT. :jonny:

Amazing as always, Aubrey. :clap3:

13 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

This isn't about rap. This is about music in general, the definition of words and the blurring of those meanings,  

If you did any research instead of your own assumptions, you'd know in the Rap world that releases marketed as side projects don't do nearly as much as projects marketed as regular studio albums, even if they are on sale in retailers.

For example, Lil Wayne.

Tha Carter III (2008): 1,005,000 copies first week.

Rebirth (2010): 176,000 copies first week
I Am Not Human Being (2010): 110,000 copies first week.

Tha Carter IV (2011): 964,000 copies first week.

The two projects he released in 2010 were marketed as side projects; one was him experimenting with Rap & Rock, and the other was music while he was in prison. Tha Carter IV was hyped as his official return and studio album once he was released from prison, and the official continuation to Tha Carter III.

Want to explain how he magically lost 90% of his sales in 2 years, then gained back 90% one year later? It's not magic; despite the two projects being released to retailers like normal albums they were marketed as side projects. 

The same thing applies to Drake. "What a Time to Be Alive" was released October 2015, and did 310K~ first week, then Views was released 6 months later and did 850K~ first week. He didn't magically double his fanbase. What a Time was seen as a mixtape/side project, and Views was his official return.

Don't be shocked when his next studio album suddenly sells more than this. The fact he even went Gold in a week with a side project is absolutely amazing, there's nothing to drag.

30 minutes ago, iHype. said:

If you did any research instead of your own assumptions, you'd know in the Rap world that releases marketed as side projects don't do nearly as much as projects marketed as regular studio albums, even if they are on sale in retailers.

For example, Lil Wayne.

Tha Carter III (2008): 1,005,000 copies first week.

Rebirth (2010): 176,000 copies first week
I Am Not Human Being (2010): 110,000 copies first week.

Tha Carter IV (2011): 964,000 copies first week.

The two projects he released in 2010 were marketed as side projects; one was him experimenting with Rap & Rock, and the other was music while he was in prison. Tha Carter IV was hyped as his official return and studio album once he was released from prison, and the official continuation to Tha Carter III.

Want to explain how he magically lost 90% of his sales in 2 years, then gained back 90% one year later? It's not magic; despite the two projects being released to retailers like normal albums they were marketed as side projects. 

The same thing applies to Drake. "What a Time to Be Alive" was released October 2015, and did 310K~ first week, then Views was released 6 months later and did 850K~ first week. He didn't magically double his fanbase. What a Time was seen as a mixtape/side project, and Views was his official return.

Don't be shocked when his next studio album suddenly sells more than this. The fact he even went Gold in a week with a side project is absolutely amazing, there's nothing to drag.

The savage clock

Granted I don't care for his recent works, 'who else making rap albums, doing numbers like it's pop?' :clap3:

Edited by Edibles.

14 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

I've done my research, i do it every day of my life that I work.  I'm also aware that every respectable rap industry publication discusses and is awarei Of the blurring lines in definitions,

I am also more than aware that what people call side projects sell less than what people call albums in the industry,  that doesn't change the fact that a side project still fits the definition of an album at times. Which Mire Life does.  I'm also aware that had he came out and called it an album it would have sold differently than it just did as a mixtape.  Again thou that still doesn't change the fact it fits the definition of an album,

And of course his next actual "album" will sell more than his next "mixtape". For starters simply labelling each as such affects sales volume.

So if you're aware that's it being viewed as a side project, and you're aware releases viewed as 'side projects' do lower numbers: what's there to drag about it having the highest debut of the year?

Ed Sheeran has a 10+ week #1 lead single, promoted at the GRAMMYs and everywhere else, had radio deals, and touted himself as 'the biggest artist behind Adele'. The expectations for his numbers were obviously going to be high; him failing to reach expectations that were high (or too high) has nothing to do with Drake's numbers. There's not really any need to come for Drake's numbers, just out of bitterness because people came for Ed's. 

And idk why you also keep refusing to look at the streaming side of his numbers. 400 million streams, highest in history -- ofcourse his sales were gonna be lower, it's a common industry trend, as streams rise, sales decline. Him breaking all-time streaming records with a side project is a huge success. The album was released on Spotify first week (Drake's last 3 releases weren't); therefore millions of people who use Spotify had the option to stream instead of buy. These numbers are great in every form.

Streaming puppet :rip:

I wonder what it feels like to owe your massive success to an application :rip:

7 minutes ago, MJLover said:

Streaming puppet :rip:

I wonder what it feels like to owe your massive success to an application :rip:

This anger

:lmao:

And with $20 million checks for Apple Music partnerships, I assume it feels good for an application to owe THEIR success to YOU.

13 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Because I wasn't trashing his sales.

You literally called his sales poor. How weren't you trashing them? :lmao: 

2 hours ago, ChartsFan said: