IFPI's Top 10 Global Albums Of 2018

Hector

3 minutes ago, Extinctkid said:

IFPI really made ASIB one their pinned tweet sgdgdhdh probably only till they tweet the BTS ones tho

They're pinning every new tweet they post actually :dies:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptique

• Ratviolo

• Almighty Gaga

• Green

3 minutes ago, Green said:

ok it's time for them to start using SPS because that list doesn't really feel like the most successful albums of 2018 :skull: 

Why can't they do 2 lists? one for SPS and another one for pure sales...

they are using both SPS and physicals. It only gets messy because a label will report that they sold 2M copies of an album to retailers while retailers only sold 1M of said album

wait accdg to MT.. Tear did better than Answer.. what is no.2 :duca:

Just now, Extinctkid said:

Does IFPI count shipments?

yup

36 minutes ago, Superpower said:

they are using both SPS and physicals. It only gets messy because a label will report that they sold 2M copies of an album to retailers while retailers only sold 1M of said album

No, they are only using physical and digital album sales/shipments

If they were using SPS Drake and Post Malone would be here for sure

They only use SPS for their singles chart

2 minutes ago, Cryptique said:

wait accdg to MT.. Tear did better than Answer.. what is no.2 :duca:

Answer sold more on Gaon tho? And no way did it sell less than some of the other albums on the list.

1 minute ago, Green said:

No, they are only using physical and digital album sales

If they were using SPS Drake and Post Malone would be here for sure

They only use SPS for their singles chart

oh i see.

isnt this a good thing tho? It’s stopping albums and records from being inflated. It’s not necessarily a bad system. It’s debatable

1 minute ago, Extinctkid said:

Answer sold more on Gaon tho? And no way did it sell less than some of the other albums on the list.

so no.2 ANSWER 

Just now, Superpower said:

oh i see.

isnt this a good thing tho? It’s stopping albums and records from being inflated. It’s not necessarily a bad system. It’s debatable

yeah tbh.. ALBUM SPS and SINGLES SPS is like double counting... but i still wanted to see the album SPS List..

4 minutes ago, Superpower said:

oh i see.

I think when 75% of music consumption is from streaming, it should be included in this list to give a true representation of the biggest albums of the year as the group of people that buy albums is not big enough to be representative and mostly relies on fandoms and older people (see: BTS and all the soundtracks).

Edited by Cain

High-key I like that they don't include SPS here. You could have one big hit that is streamed 1 Billion times and suddenly your album magically has sold 500K more copies when the actual album probably sold like 50K :rip:

there it is.. 

1 minute ago, Cain said:

I think when 75% of music consumption is from streaming, it should be included in this list to give a true representation of the biggest albums of the year as the group of people that buy albums is not big enough to be representative and mostly relies on fandoms and older people (see: BTS and all the soundtracks).

i also wanna have the SPS List tbh even tho it's not also that accurate for me cause SPS means hit single = hit album.

1 minute ago, Cryptique said:

i also wanna have the SPS List tbh even tho it's not also that accurate for me cause SPS means hit single = hit album.

It would be nice to have both lists to compare yeah.

3 minutes ago, Cain said:

Then look at the singles charts. Those kind of people don't consume albums only quick singles :nicole2:

TGS Surely is the no.1

now i need the figures :celestial4:

Just now, Befour said:

Then look at the singles charts. Those kind of people don't consume albums only quick singles :nicole2:

I think streaming has brought back the album actually? In the digital era people would just pay for a single or two and then move on which led to big artists with abysmal album sales (Pitbull, Flo Rida, Jason Derulo, Kesha just to name a few) but with streaming a lot of people are listening to whole albums again cause it's so accesable.

5 minutes ago, Cain said:

In the digital era people would just pay for a single or two and then move on which led to big artists with abysmal album sales (Pitbull, Flo Rida, Jason Derulo, Kesha just to name a few

And they were only found in the single charts. I think one or two successful songs in streaming shouldn't inflate a 10+ track album's stats

Edited by Befour

1 minute ago, ItalianMonsterLM said:

Here it is :clap3:

Gaga best selling female album confirmed :nicole2:

as expected :clap3:

TOP 10 BEST-SELLING ALBUMS OF 2018

RANK ARTIST AND ALBUM GLOBAL ALBUM UNITS (M)
1 Cast of ‘The Greatest Showman’ – The Greatest Showman (OST) 3.5
2 BTS – LOVE YOURSELF結 'Answer' 2.7
3 BTS – LOVE YOURSELF轉 'Tear' 2.3
4 Lady Gaga – A Star Is Born (OST) 1.9
5 Johnny Hallyday – Mon Pays C’est L’amour 1.7
6 Ed Sheeran - ÷ 1.3
7 Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody 1.2
8 P!nk – Beautiful Trauma 1.2
9 Eminem – Kamikaze 1.0
10 Cast of ‘Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again’ – Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (OST) 0.9

1.9M for ASIB :celestial4:

I am expecting 2.5M with shipments, i guess they undershipped.. well well well :johnald:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.