Billboard Charts (March 19-25, 2017)

iHype.

51 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

It's not like One Sweet Day deserves to have that record in the first place. 

This.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• mike3009

• brianc33710

• DELE2125

On 23/3/2017 at 1:16 PM, PurrKaty said:

@jose168 @AlBeRtX

I saw you were both talking about BBP and I Gotta Feeling. Here's the song they blocked each week during their reign. Poker Face and Down are the only 2 that hit #1. Before and after BEP's two songs respectively. 6 songs blocked in total. Most by any artist while holding the top spot I believe. 

Boom Boom Pow - Poker Face
Boom Boom Bow - Blame It
Boom Boom Bow - Poker Face
Boom Boom Bow - I Know You Want Me
Boom Boom Bow - I Gotta Feeling
Boom Boom Bow - I Gotta Feeling

I Gotta Feeling - Boom Boom Pow
I Gotta Feeling - Boom Boom Pow
I Gotta Feeling - Best I Ever Had
I Gotta Feeling - You Belong With Me
I Gotta Feeling - Party In The U.S.A.
I Gotta Feeling - Party In The U.S.A.
I Gotta Feeling - Down
I Gotta Feeling - Down
I Gotta Feeling - Down
I Gotta Feeling - Run This Town
I Gotta Feeling - Down

Omg. There is a reason why IGF is one of the most remembered songs of this generation.

Closer should've broken the record instead of SOY tbh

#DownWithTheRadio !!!

You guys should stop telling how horrible it is for songs to chart high with streaming, and then saying that they don't have airplay :rip: Radio is all about payola, I hope it dissapears completely soon. I'd rather have FAIR, streaming based charts than those payola's airplay.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Loco said:

Closer should've broken the record instead of SOY tbh

It hasen't even crossed 12 weeks, chill 

1 hour ago, Jeiboy said:

It definitely does. It was strong in all its core formats and was consistently ahead (sales + airplay) since Mariah and Boyz II Men are on their peak in the 90s.

Considering OSD didn't even finish at #1 on the 1996 YE Hot 100, I'm doubtful that it deserves that honor. 2.3-2.4 M physical single sales is indeed impressive, but several other songs in the 1990s sold 3-4+ M. And of course, Candle In The Wind was the first single ever certified Diamond. We Belong Together was a bigger hit than OSD. Also, OSD's chart longevity in every longevity category except for #1 (and T2, and possibly T 3) was rather underwhelming.

31 minutes ago, brianc33616 said:

Considering OSD didn't even finish at #1 on the 1996 YE Hot 100, I'm doubtful that it deserves that honor. 2.3-2.4 M physical single sales is indeed impressive, but several other songs in the 1990s sold 3-4+ M. And of course, Candle In The Wind was the first single ever certified Diamond. We Belong Together was a bigger hit than OSD. Also, OSD's chart longevity in every longevity category except for #1 (and T2, and possibly T 3) was rather underwhelming.

didn't OSD like freefall after it's 16 weeks

I wonder how many weeks would have spent Everything I do (I do it for you) at #1 if soundscan was used at that time.

Edited by Green

2 hours ago, Solarie said:

#DownWithTheRadio !!!

You guys should stop telling how horrible it is for songs to chart high with streaming, and then saying that they don't have airplay :rip: Radio is all about payola, I hope it dissapears completely soon. I'd rather have FAIR, streaming based charts than those payola's airplay.

spotify is literally all payola

1 hour ago, ChartsFan said:

And streaming is all about bots and stans playing favs on replay while at work and school.

clickbots are the hot topic in label offices,

I'd rather have these bots and stans spamming their fave song than few dictators in the radio playing whatever they want to, or obligate themselves to play after PAYOLA's.

Edited by Solarie

2 hours ago, Solarie said:

#DownWithTheRadio !!!

First of all, radio is not "all about payola." Obviously, money is involved, but you can't shove thousands of dollars down programming directors' throats and expect to get a smash airplay hit. It doesn't work like that– you need other things.

The above discussion is irrelevant anyway when we're talking about the Hot 100. People consume music through radio, and that consumption is thus counted. It is beside the point which songs stations put into power rotation and which songs are stimulated the most by labels. We can have a dialogue about the ethics of radio, but don't conflate radio being ethically questionable in your opinion with it being undeserving of influence on the Hot 100. 

1 hour ago, ChartsFan said:

And streaming is all about bots and stans playing favs on replay while at work and school.

clickbots are the hot topic in label offices,

This is an absurd exaggeration. 

And by the way, Spotify has ways to combat that. There's a reason why the "streaming parties" that get organized on Twitter never have any real effect. They have programs in place that can easily detect when someone's spamming a song.

17 minutes ago, Rawr said:

spotify is literally all payola

There is literally zero evidence to back up this claim. 

The reason OSD fell was because they were pushing ABMB.

ABMB holds the record for most weeks at #2 on radio w/o hitting #1.

It also spent 9 weeks at #2 on H100

Had they kept pushing OSD,it would've lasted even longer.

Streaming payola is nowhere nearly as bad as radio payola. A single spin on radio is worth quite a few points, especially on Z100 or KIIS 102.7. Spotify and YouTube both actively remove streams they detect as spam, and even without their detection it would take several hundred computers on constant repeat all week to even make a dent on the charts. It's just not as easy to do compared to regular label company to radio company payola.

Being on Spotify playlists doesn't automatically mean you do great

It's just a kind of exposure just like Hot Tracks, Hot Albums, 0,69$ Songs, Recent Releases are on iTunes 

but with itunes you actually have to fork over money and specifically choose to do so.

Edited by fridayteenage

17 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/05/20/playlist-payola-real-killing-artist-careers/

this a year after Spotify claimed in early 2015 that they were stopping Payola.

Never said there wasn't any. He said it was "all" payola, though.

I can point to a plethora of songs that have done well on Spotify without being on a ton of major playlists recently. iSpy & Congratulations now, Bad And Boujee over the winter, Broccoli last fall, etc.

Also, this HDD article is important.

"The streaming services can quickly tell if a new major artist’s record is a brick—sometimes within hours—by studying the skip rate, thus enabling labels to pull back marketing money."

Ultimately, consumers have the final say.

2 hours ago, Bad Blood said:

that's essentially what spotify payola does, but it'll count as ''real'' streams because ''real'' people listen to it

Great, so tell me exactly how effective streaming payola is when their programs can't spam on the same song 100% of the time. Let's say these programs are really good, and can play the "song" wanted 33% of the time, and runs on different playlists to avoid detection. Even with several hundred computers, the effect would be nowhere nearly as great as simply paying a radio family company for some extra radio spins.

Funny how some of you ignore the impact of Spotify payola and only talk about radio payola.

I wonder if it's early enough for Bruno Mars to discount TWIL so it can go #1

11 minutes ago, Bad Blood said:

millions of people discover new music through playlists. add some quick bucks and you'll see your song on every hot playlist. you can boost your song artificially and thus it IS a form of payola

How is it any different from iTunes banners and other promotions via radio?

That's What I Like finally reached number #1 on US iTunes...

Is it outrageous to say that Shape of You and Closer will pass 3 million in pure sales by the end of 2017?