Vxspertine's 2018 In Review | Will SOPHIE Snatch?

Vxspertine

122163-velvet.jpg

21. JMSN – Velvet

As expected from JMSN, this album is TIGHT. JMSN is for sure one of the best R&B artists of this decade, and most definitely one of the most underrated at that. How is this guy not more popular? And why am I not listening to him more myself? This album's production is fun, sexy and groovy, super smooth and also pretty creative and unique. The only major compliant I have here is that it has quite a bit of filler. For the very least at least 4 of these songs could have been dropped. I also don't love his vocal performances on a few tracks. So Badly is an example of that, I don't really like his vocals on the chorus. And it's a real shame since the instrumental of that song is amazing, and I could have liked it a lot more if the some of the melodies were different.

Best tracks: Got 2 B Erotic, Talk Is Cheap, Drama (& Drama P.II)
Worst track: Wet

Edited by Vxspertine

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vxspertine

• theblackestday

• Lazuli

• volition

Pusha Tea made some points.

Great gowns for Brockhampton.

Idk the others but I doubt they are better than be the ? x

pusha t is too low! glad to see bh represented tho as they didn't get as much positive reception with their latest. you lied on some of your disappointments btw, they deserved better (eg, to take rh*e's spot)

IDK any of this hipster stuff sorry. Nice write-ups though. :-* 

Oxnard! :heart2: I hate him tho for not including Til It's Over or Bubblin on it. 

I've been meaning to listen to No Name but still haven't got the chance to. I'd like to give Mitski another try too. Your write-up about it perfectly summed up how I feel about it.

Daytona :clap3: I thought Kanye snapped with the production but I can see where you're coming from. The Games We Play being worst track though? I HAVE to laugh. Iridescence making it :deserves: Your reasoning for it taking a toll on their music for you is questionable but :thing: tea at Tonya and Tape being best and San Marcos worst :mandown: 

Rhye :rip: a cute fad...

nn I don't know any of the drama expect the assault case but iridescence is good 

• ATRL Moderator

I only got halfway through Iredescence even tho I liked a few songs... 

Finally getting around to this. Sorry for the delay sis!

HM: Sooo many great picks. Mitksi, KSG, Noname, and Andy :'(  Some of these deserved better!

Albums: Solid picks so far!

Daytona packs a lot of punch but I just can't get jiggy with the hate over Ye's production style :mad: 

Your description of Blood is pretty accurate. I think the upbeat moments like Count To Five are my faves on the album.

Love Velvet too :clap3: The shade at his vocals on So Badly tho :thing: 

listened to the jean grae tracks you thought were highs and they were pretty cool, i'll try to check the entire thing

pusha t amazing and brockhampton was like fine? but i cba with them. jmsn is v fun live but in any other setting well...

Mess, this has already started and I didn't notice :skull: Some great albums on the HM list (particularly BTC, H&E and LDA). Some nice picks on the main list as well :gaycat3: DAYTONA and Everything's Fine are my favs. Funnily enough the latter was still pretty overlooked despite getting extra exposure (thanks to P4k among others), which is a shame.

I'm probably the biggest jmsn fanboy on this forum but I wished I like his album more. Glad to see him appear on other lists tho.

I also don't love his vocal performances on a few tracks. So Badly is an example of that,

Agreed. This was my criticism of that song from the start. One of his weakest leads. 

Daytona's my favorite this set followed by Jean x Chris. Rhye and Brock were only one listen experiences for me. 

• ATRL Moderator

JMSN opened for an artist I saw this year and well :mandown:

blood was cute... didn't like brockhampton's or daytona

Hi sweetie! :party: 

I made a catch-up on your list and great list so far! :flower: 

I agree with Wet being the worst in Velvet tho. :eli: 

Also, noname being on the honorable mentions :sosad: deserves better!

Daytona is a solid work so I ain't complainin' :fan: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.