Scotty's Hotty 100 ? Best of 2018 | #10-1

Scotty

I'm going to try to end this and post my Top 10 in the next few hours on the 18th since this is the '18 ranking.

Here's a quick honorable mention. The track Fuji. is only 1:48 long and I just didn't have the room for it.

No Tears Left TO cry, High Hopes, Havana, without Me :clap3:

#10-#1

Cardi B - Ring

a434f435ffae4d8ec74dfc4ead33431b.640x640

LISTEN

This is that chilling and just cruising down the highway JAM. Cardi B truly did that with this one. If I was at the mall and this song came on over radio I would twerk all over the merchandise idgaf. If it's radio candy then I'm a sucker.

w9iZxEk.gif

Kim Petras - Close Your Eyes

31zgLUyCXtL._SS500.jpg

LISTEN

I FEEL IT COM-ING OOOOON

woman-shamelessly-dancing-crowd.gif

Kim does her best Animal-era Ke$ha impression while simultaneously nailing the perfect Halloween hit. This song would be on Scream Queens 100% if it wasn't cancelled. I don't care if Dr. Frankenstein made this I'm bopping.

3oU31qB.gif

Ariana Grande - thank u, next

Ariana-Grande-Thank-You-Next-300x300.jpg

LISTEN

This song sounds like it was smuggled from a past decade and released out of nowhere at the most opportune time it could smash. There's a cute girly innocence about this song, but at the same time it's sassy and headstrong. It's a song about letting go of a past love and taking the high road rather than being salty. Briefly stopping to smell the roses and reflect before, growing up and moving on.

Troye Sivan - My My My!

Troye_Sivan_My_My_My!.png

LISTEN

I die every night with you

-

Living for your every move

I can't decide which line I like better, they're both deeply relatable and simple. My My My! is a simple song with almost-spoken verses and is unapologetically gay. The verses are slow and sensual, then the chorus is turned up and high energy.

MGMT - James

4eebd3318d0f8c356e24e1313bf454ec.1000x1000x1.jpg

LISTEN

This song was written as a tribute to the guitarist in their live band. It's just an all around beautiful song and slightly trippy. Along with Me and Michael this song gives me gay teas. The repeated "Ahhhh James..." during the last minute is kind of surprisingly intimate.

Charli XCX & Troye Sivan - 1999

charlixcx_1999_0.jpg

LISTEN

I know those days are over but a boy can fantasize

'Bout JTT on MTV, yeah, when I close my eye-eye-eyes

And I'm right there, right there
And he's right there, right there
And we're right there, right there
Ah, ah, ah- I wanna go back.

Pop perfection. A late 90's/early 2000's tea. For some reason when I sing Troye's part I sing it like Adam Sandler cause the lyrics are just funny. :rip: 

Wet - Lately

54e7cc2b441090e89f3eda5ddc7a3232.1000x1000x1.jpg

LISTEN

I've been bending over backwards just to make you feel like you're wanted

Oh, what have you done for me, lately? (Oh)

tenor.gif

This song is like a bittersweet breath of fresh air and gorgeously vindictive.

Qveen Herby - SADE IN THE 90s

5e2755629e9a2a6b207cb09d8c5ab316

LISTEN

Do it like it's roulette, roll it, burn it, lose it
Hit that black and red, keep spending decks, I keep it moving
Put that **** behind me, keep my diamonds blindin'
Gotta keep it suave like I'm Sade in the 90s

Listening to this song makes me feel like I'm a hustler, ascending to a greater plane of existence, it's odd. The track feels infinitely cool and "real".

Mac Miller - Self Care

mac-miller-self-care-video-reveals-cover-art-tracklist-swimming-album

LISTEN

While writing up my 'MGMT - James' comment I got curious and it turns out Mac's middle name was James, as is mine. Interesting, anyway - Self Care gives me a David Bowie's Lazarus tea, it's foreboding watching Mac smoke inside his own coffin. Even though the reason he's in there is to symbolize how the media tried to assassinate his character.

He begins punching at the hole he's carved into the top of the coffin and breaks free of his cell. Then the beat switches into its own punchy, droning and euphoric synth.

The "Oblivion" half of Self Care is the dark gem of the song. He rises from his coffin through a mound of dirt only to be met with explosions. His body falls across the screen amid ash like a rag doll but he's almost floating too. The last frames are of his silhouette in taunting a "come at me" pose, he's regained his balance amongst the chaos surrounding him and he stands against fleshy-toned smoke, like the colors you'd see when you shine a flashlight through your hand. The vibe feels introspective while at the same time challenging of those around him. Having the guts to pick yourself up off the dirt and stand up for yourself is the first step in self care. This could also represent coming out on top of or after a bad situation.

U.S. Girls - Rosebud

poemunlimited.jpg

LISTEN

LET'S FACE IT

ADMIT THAT IT'S ALL RELATED

WiJb5l8.gif

DON'T MESS THIS UP NOW

YOU'LL MAKE IT, IT'LL HURT

I PROMISE YOU

WHAAAT IS YOUR ROSEBUUUD YOU'VE GOT TOOO KNOOOW

Meghan Remy, the girl that is behind U.S. Girls, channels Madonna in this Citizen Kane-inspired bop. She imparts poetic words of wisdom while setting the stage of a thought-provoking story about finding the key to understanding your inner self. Listening to Rosebud is like touching snow with your bare hands. It feels special, like Christmas morning inside this song, it's magnificent.

The third verse however paints a grimmer, more mysterious picture:

The secret won't reach the coast
I see a man in the crowd with a rope
Death arms like a crooked T
No act of telepathy could reveal
Your Rosebud to me

Could be about a hanged man, I don't know, but what I take from this is that it highlights why the Rosebud is so special. Because once you're gone, you're gone. No one can speak with you beyond the grave, so if you never say anything about it until it's too late then how can anyone ever know what you held nearest to your heart?

In a shocking twist, 2018 wasn't so bad. Thanks if you've been keeping up with my list. :heart2:

Edited by Scotty

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.