Wicked's Best of 2k18 | #1 TV Show Revealed! (pg. 9)

Wicked

7 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

Mitski and VanJess :heart2: (love seeing these girls on another YEL!) MGMT was also really nice.

I listened to Lupe's album and it was good on the one listen I gave it but it was way too long.

I also need to find time to listen to Tierra Whack and Jacquees. I have them and some other albums/EPs queued for later.

Drogas Wave is really long but then I forget it is. I could argue it's Lupe at his best. 

5 hours ago, potent said:

Little Dark Age :jonny5:

I should check Better Call Saul, I loved Breaking Bad.

If you love BrBa you DEF need to check out Better Call Saul. It's awesome.

1 hour ago, Maddox said:

The last episodes of Brockmire were really good, a worthy companion to BoJack. I'm perched to see how the dynamic will change for both shows now that their protagonists are on their path to healing. Should be good!

I absolutely agree on AV, the show understands this generation better than these supposed "high school dramedies/satire" **** they've been dumping on us lately ugh...

I forgot about Tales From The Tour Bus. I think it was only you and some other critic who praised the new season lol. Will watch!

Your top 10 as expected has some solid gems!! Pose, ACS (you sure ur not a secret Murphy stan :mandown: won't judge lol) Joe Pera, BoJack :clap3: And Kidding... I'm mad Jim did not win sunday night. The Globes are supposed to be Amazon/Showtime's wh0re... Who the **** knows about Kominsky Method let alone watch 10 episodes of that :fish2:

Seen a lot of praise for Blindspotting, definitely going to watch (along with Beale Street when it leaks :skull:The Tale, Support The Girls, Leave No Trace, Mandy, Upgrade, Eighth Grade :heart2: 

Do i have to peep the Cumberbatch/Paul Rudd movies to watch Infinity War bc i really don't want to

Ryan is still trash, don't put that label on me!! I get my hopes up too much for award shows, he was probably never gonna win either way. Guess that Atlantic piece was right, nuanced Jim roles aren't what people what; he did get snubbed for Truman Show too.

Blindspotting is amazing. It should've got the hype Sorry To Bother You did.

Nah, you don't have to watch their movies. IW works well as a standalone. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wicked

• Pink Matter

• Maddox

• Tom Vercetti

23 hours ago, Wicked said:

jBi0zjI.png

Whew this sxn is dead :jonny4: 

That usually happens after January. 

Lupe was only an HM for me but glad he currently had his self back together. 

mgmt, jpegmafia, korridor (!) ?

Earl is coming. 

On 1/9/2019 at 12:27 AM, Wicked said:

20. Mario - Dancing Shadows (Contemporary R&B)

19. Jacquees - 4275 (Contemporary R&B)

18. MGMT - Little Dark Age (Synthpop)

17. VanJess - Silk Canvas (Neo Soul)

16. Mitski - Be The Cowboy (Alternative Rock)

15. Tierra Whack - Whack World (Hip-Hop)

14. JPEGMAFIA - Veteran (Experimental Hip-Hop)

13. Korridor - End of Cycle (Industrial Techno)

12. Jóhann Jóhannsson - Mandy (Film Score, Horror Synth)

11. Lupe Fiasco - Drogas Wave (Hip-Hop)

VanJess finally got it right after all these years I will say. I was impressed.

1VtOHkY.png

05b. Last Week Tonight With John Oliver (HBO)

Talk show King with another great round of episodes during this crazy time. I didn't watch as consistently as I had hoped to, but all I did see was as great as I was expecting. I should probably try to watch more late night shows but they all seem a bit too demanding time wise.

05a. Atlanta (FX)

I have my gripes not only with Donald Glover, but the show as well. Van and the other ladies that make appearances on this show deserve better + I'm glad he received some backlash relating to that. Other than that, this was an improvement over Atlanta's debut season. Going deeper into the themes of the black males double consciousness, the harsh choices one has to make to "make it big", ignored depression, trying to force a relationship that isn't meant to be and other things relating to the black male experience, Atlanta became more of a fleshed out show. While I get the criticism that some episodes were still too scarce, I didn't mind much. Episodes like 'Helen', 'fubu' & 'North of the Border' alone warrant a high placement.

04. The Deuce (HBO)

I know I have this higher than most people would but David Simon & co. took the bubbling themes of the debut season and improved upon them during the second season. Seeing where the characters are after a significant time jump was awesome. The times changed and so did the characters. The pimps have lost their way and aren't sure how to adjust to the age of p0rn, the working girls have grown tired of their profession and seek something more, the "others" are doing their thing (and then there's Abby who is the most useless television character in quite some time). Who woulda thought that The Deuce would become this grand exploration of womanhood, sisterhood, capitalism & existentialism all in one? Not me. David Simon doesn't get enough credit for the realism of his shows for me, the characters he creates talk, act and function like real people. Everything isn't spoon-fed to you over these "pls give us an Emmy!!!!1!" monologues --which he pays for-- and it's better that way. Besides some of the most intelligent television writing of the year, Maggie Gyllenhaal as Eileen is a REVELATION, along with Lori, Donna, Larry & CC. I'm sad this only has one more season left but I'm sure it'll be far more than adequate.

03. One Day At A Time (Netflix)

Any show respectfully showcasing a woman of color dealing with depression will always gets extra points in my book, but the second season of this Norman Lear remake from Gloria Calderon Kellett was even more than just that. If you told me a year ago that I'd fall in love with a topical, multi-cam sitcom with a damn laugh track/cued audience in 2018 I'd laugh at you, to me the format was dead; but then it happened! This wonderful sitcom following a Cuban-American family is a joy to watch. I'm not sure what else to say :rip: It's just amazing and you're really missing out if you don't give it a shot. This is a another show on my list where --whether you believe me or not-- the characters speak and act like real people. Elena can be perceived as a typical third gen/"SJW" feminist, however, she is willing to meet in the middle and even listen to (and respect) a different view. They're not perfect since no human is, but they're real good people who are growing and adapting every step of the way.  Norman Lear ftw

02. Random Acts of Flyness (HBO)

I wrote 20 pages worth of content on this show... and instead of posting that here, I'll just say this is the most innovative series I have seen in quite some time. I have no qualms about calling Terence Nance a genius this soon because it applies, so why not? Afro-surrealism is something that has been toyed with in television; on shows like Martin, In Living Color & The Boondocks; but they have never submerged themselves in it like Random Acts of Flyness does. However, the outlandish segments of this sketch series feel like some of the more natural content around. Terence explores various themes like why isn't there shea butter dispensers in bathrooms --bcuz who is trying to just use that turrible bathroom soap?--, how the white male antihero arguably fueled the alt-right movement, the disrespect black women receive in regards to their natural hair if it is of the more kinky variety, toxic masculinity, homophobia, a funny alternative to reparations, polygamous relationships, insecurity, the obsession with the white savior narrative & many more awesome things. Yet somehow, Terence & the other creatives he enlists discuss their various experiences in game changing ways. It's 2AM so I'll just say this is most def the best show nobody watched in 2018. With a STUNNING finale :heart2: He is ahead of his time and HBO needed to promote better.

01. The Americans (FX)

Oh wow they did this. The Family drama disguised as a Spy thriller came to an end and was brilliant all the way through it's sixth season. I'm kinda tired at this point but it broke my heart ten times over to watch these characters I'd bonded with have to make huge decisions. I have no doubts this will be looked at as one of if not the top drama of the Peak TV era for years to come.

That.Garage.Scene.Though. !!!!!!!!!!

Amazing top 5 :worship: ODAAT, Atlanta, RAOF :heart2:

Maggie indeed deserves an Emmy but anyway that's Peak TV...

Kinda lost interest in John Oliver since the Drumpf fiasco but he's good!

The Americans :jonny:Loving the late recognition from these awards although Keri keeps getting robbed :biblio: and yeah that garage scene is one of the best of the decade!!

Looking forward to more 2019 TV excellence!!

Atlanta is one of the shows wish I kept up with but life and all that kept me too busy. Glad it hasn't lost its sauce.

And girl we still need the rest of the albums and singles :fish2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.