Superpower’s Best Of 2018

Blue Rose

i have Loma on my list but I haven't listened to it yet.

A Brief Inquiery... cute :mandown: Golden Hour is SO overrated, but still a pleasant listen. Slow Burn makes me emotional.

Confidence Man... big bops as the kids say. 

Cocoa Sugar is an ALBUM :jonny5:they snapped

Tirzah talentless hack

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue Rose

• Tom Vercetti

• Cloröx

• Vilppu

2 hours ago, kelly-clarkson said:

I've seen Kacey's album on so many lists :eek:

I need to listen it again!

Yes. It gets better with every listen. I basically get a new favorite song every time I play it 

2 hours ago, Eeveelution said:

GODzah. :clap3: 

a 2018 WINNER.

Is this a spoiler? I’m here for it

39 minutes ago, Wicked said:

Moby dropped an album in 2018 and it was good? :rip: 

Yep. The most shocking moment of 2018. It’s kinda sad but I love it. 

Highlights: This Wild Darkness, The Ceremony Of Innocence, The Tired And the Hurt. 

3 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

My favorite here is Cocoa Sugar~

I think Mac had more potential. My favorite from him is still go:od am

I didn't even know Moby released an album :rip: 

I hope Cocoa Sugar make your list. They deserve it.

for Moby, see the reply to Wicked’s post.

4 minutes ago, ChapelHooker said:

i have Loma on my list but I haven't listened to it yet.

A Brief Inquiery... cute :mandown: Golden Hour is SO overrated, but still a pleasant listen. Slow Burn makes me emotional.

Confidence Man... big bops as the kids say. 

Cocoa Sugar is an ALBUM :jonny5:they snapped

Tirzah talentless hack

Loma is a nice listen. 

The 1975 delivered but I’m confused why critics think they delivered the best Alternative album of all time, when everything in the album has already been done and done better.

Kacey deserves the praise!!

Stan Confidence Man and Chocolate Daddies :jonny5: 

The Tirzah slander is not cute. Enjoy your warning point :fan: 

Heeeey. Album 16 was amazing. I gotta say if it had been consistent throughout all tracks - first third was superlative stuff - it would have been a strong contender for AOTY, no kidding. I felt it lost its punch by the second half or the formula turned too repetitive, idk, but I always feel tempted to skip all the second half.

While compiling my album lists I noticed Kacey had released a new album, and she was waaaaay too low on my lastfm ranking. I think I only heard it for some days and then got lost on my radar. I guess it's never too late to give it another go, huh? Her previous album got a 90+ rate on my lists after all.

Edited by Sunderland 4ever

17 minutes ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

Heeeey. Album 16 was amazing. I gotta say if it had been consistent throughout all tracks - first third was superlative stuff - it would have been a stong contender for AOTY, no kidding. I felt it lost its punch by the second half or the formula turned too repetitive, idk, but I always feel tempted to skip all the second half.

While compiling my album lists I noticed Kacey had released a new album, and she was waaaaay too low on my lastfm ranking. I think I only heard it for some days and then got lost on my radar. I guess it's never too late to give it another go, huh? Her previous album got a 90+ rate on my lists after all.

I agree that Confident Music does sound a little samey especially if you’re not in a party mood. I usually play it before going out and whenever my friends ask me to create a party mix.

Kacey’s album was everywhere. It’s unfortunate that you missed it, but yeah, give it few more tries. It lives up to the hype. 

5 minutes ago, The Lion King said:

Apeshit is lowkey a bop don't @ me

Mac Miller :heart2: 

@The Lion King Apeshit is highkey a bop

EIL is a big no from me. 

I may be the only one on ATRL thinks Golden Hour is very overrated. :skull: 

5 minutes ago, lhdang2000 said:

EIL is a big no from me. 

nope, I agree 100% :skull:  some cute songs but overall.... meh

your list in reverse would be more accurate for me :skull: 

35 minutes ago, lhdang2000 said:

EIL is a big no from me. 

Golden Hour is a masterpiece but it's little bit overrated. Where's the love for STDF?

Everything Is Love :michael: I'm just glad you're not trying to convince us it's a top 10 album :keir:

Gonna listen to Golden Hour sometime this week. Listened to 2 songs (High Horse and something else)

back in the day but I wasn't impressed, then I watched AJayII react to it days ago and some tracks sounded nice.

• ATRL Moderator

1975 :clap3: a great album. I was pleasantly surprised
golden hour as well whew
still need to hear confident music... cocoa sugar, eil, tirzah :clap3:

GF4riv4.png

rYfZ359.jpg

A wonderful wonderful album. A vibrant Pop record with an insane production. Just WOW! Had my eyes on them since their cover of Beyoncé’s Sorry.

8eEYvyP.jpg

Troye’s second album to make my top10 year end list. Blue Neighborhood was more immediate while this had to grow on me. An unapologetic and talented songwriter with a great ear for what makes a good Pop song.

8uBhhrP.jpg

While it’s been hard to pin point what TØP’s sound is, which is what made them exciting in the first place, Trench offers a more streamlined and refined work. But they still throw the listener some curveballs and pull from different soundscapes, familiar and unfamiliar.

Blurryface had a rebellious arrogance that was sometimes too much and borderline pretentious. Trench is quite the opposite, it’s effortlessly confident. For an album that was recorded in seclusion and in Columbus out of all places, the production is excellent, fresh and broad. It’s very dynamic which is perfect for an album that dwells too much on sadness. “The Hype” is joyous and anthemic straight from Foster The People, while “Leave The City” is heart wrenching and recalls the very best of Death Cab For Cutie.

Rpc3SX9.jpg

Yes the hooks are catchy but the beats are even catchier. It’s nice when you find yourself randomly humming instrumentals of an album. At first you might think this LP is all over the place, then you listen to songs like Horses and you realize that everything was actually intentional.

k8PDIaJ.jpg

Honestly just speechless at how amazing she is. And her live show is so much fun and inspiring.

QSUiQj1.jpg

I thought her previous album was a debacle, so this is huge. High As Hope has a beautiful story telling and an amazing layering. The album is full of surprising twists that keep you hooked on these intimate songs. And Florence’s voice is stronger than ever and when she restrains herself, it just exudes confidence. Not many can do that.

xiqSdzA.jpg

Having spent most of the last few years listening to Body Talk and Monumental on repeat, I had high expectations for this. It’s rewarding when your expectations are exceeded. Yes the album doesn’t have the mega bangers of Body Talk, but it is way more mature and evolved. It is also a better experience listening from beginning to end as the tracks are all connected and tell one continuous personal story.

SUrTD7W.jpg

The tall and handsome crooner beautifully avoids a sophomore slump by sticking to his winning formula of romantic but never cheesy lyrics, and pairing his ukulele and banjo with Pop sounds. It's convincing and poetic. Just like Troye, this is his second album and his second appearance in my Best Of top10.

eIpdkAR.jpg

This ambitious debut album is an atmospheric 80s influenced Synth-Pop dream. The lush electronic backing and Matt Lowell's woeful vocals create an introspective record that also feels grand. I was so in love with this album that I drove 4 hours to see them perform it live and what an experience it was!

zba3U2i.jpg

When this came out last February, I wouldn’t have predicted it being my AOTY. I loved it immediately of course but it actually shouldn’t surprise me that I kept going back to this Electronic beauty that gets its dynamism from a live band, an orchestra, brass instruments and a touch of Ambient. I also love how androgynous his voice sounds which is mesmerizing here, and finally all the Sade influences. The record is simple yet dramatic and it will be shameful to skip before the end as the last two tracks are the most gorgeous ones.

Is it me the only who disappointed with Honey? Maybe Body Talk has set the benchmark too high or my expectation is too much :celestial5:

The same goes to Trench :celestial5:

2 minutes ago, Coklek92 said:

Is it me the only who disappointed with Honey? Maybe Body Talk has set the benchmark too high or my expectation is too much :celestial5:

The same goes to Trench :celestial5:

Honey > Body Talk

Perfect Top 3 :clap3:

Just realized that Riptide was so massive with 700M+ streams on Spotify. Taylor her mind :celestial5:

I've heard about Rhye, but never check out ha work. :celestial5:

Honey is ok, but not that mindblowing as some critics said. :celestial5:

2 minutes ago, Coklek92 said:

Nope! S-t and BT were so much better. They were more brave materials.

Rhye. Hmm a unique choice for aoty. Haven’t seen it mentioned elsewhere.

Honey for top 5 is deserved.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.