World Eater's Best of 2018

World Eater

Gladly :serve:

As she's proved with her debut LP 'Lush,' miss Mail lacks talent and originality

:somepoints:

I always liked Golden Hour, nice to see some love for it cause it's underrated.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• World Eater

• Vilppu

• theblackestday

• Unoriginal

As promised, another update in the post below :mandown:

Spoiler
7 hours ago, Navyofbadgals said:

Tirzah and Kacey :jonny5:

Two legends, wbk :clap3:

7 hours ago, Tsareena said:

Gladly... so gorgeous.. Tirzah did that
golden hour :clap3: 
heat wave is still disgusting.. pristine is her best song

Talent recognizing talent :clap3: I didn't read the last sentence before writing this btw :mandown:

7 hours ago, Unoriginal said:

Heat Wave :grimes: not bad for someone with no talent 

Golden Hour getting the love it deserves too :jonny: it's SO underrated

Screaming, I was thinking of putting that pic here :dies:

7 hours ago, theblackestday said:

I just SCREAMED in public space

Golden Hour :jonny5: It’s SO underrated [2] Tizrash dies **** laugh btw

477959069102112769.png?v=1

You think you're clever, don't you? Tirzah will LAUGH on the day your funeral

7 hours ago, Love Drought said:

Gladly and Spiritualized :jonny2:

I'm also glad you picked the title track from Golden Hour, it always stood out to me for some reason

I agree that Snail Mail kinda lacks originality, but I still enjoyed Lush for what it was 

I wish that Spiritualized album slapped as hard as I'm Your Man :jonny:

As for Snail Mail, I did enjoy a couple of tracks, but when over half of the songs on the album put me into sleep, I think there is a problem there

6 hours ago, Sbbmsve said:

Gladly is gonna drive some gays crazy :somepoints: 

I fail to see any lies :mandown:

The girls kept it classy I see, I was ready for the meltdowns :mandown:

6 hours ago, madonnas said:

Rainbow and the title track are good songs but they are not highlights and Wonder Woman/Velvet Elvis are better than them.

Heat Wave is a very pretty song.  I usually don't like that kinda indie rock but the songwriting is just so good. :clap3:

I think Le Jeux to You or whatever its called is pretty accessible.  It sounds like Siouxsie and the Banshees. 

Not Wonder Woman and Velvet Elvis :skull: I do love them, but they are bottom tier

Okay, tea with Le Jeux to You, not sure why did I not think about it before

5 hours ago, Jet said:

Not a fan of country AT ALL but Golden Hour was a sweet, cathartic album. The title track is v cute. Great choice :clap3: 

And neither am I, or at least to some extent, but Golden Hour was an unusual blend of country, pop and singer/songwriter music, so no wonder it was received the way it was :clap3:

2 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Golden Hour is among my faves from that album :clap3: 

Heat Wave :smitten: 

2 hours ago, ChapelHooker said:

this update.... sans maybe GH

478177315990405122.png?v=1

:mariah:

2 hours ago, Vilppu said:

t

carpoolin slay, reszta hmm kacey wygląda ładnie na tym zdjęciu ig

DrpNmhQWkAAY9b0.jpg

nn ta jednogłośność 477959069102112769.png?v=1

Nareszcie ktoś stanujący Carpoolin' :clap3: Szkoda, że reszta albumu i Gangin dwójka nie dosięgały do tego poziomem tho

2 hours ago, Eeveelution said:

Gladly :serve:

I always liked Golden Hour, nice to see some love for it cause it's underrated.

:serve:

2 hours ago, Body Electrician said:

the Snail Mail drag :rip: repent

I mean the GP is clearly not here for her

477959069102112769.png?v=1

KB7FJd8.png

INFf6iD.png

Spoiler

There's no sense of desperation on the the real gem of 'Honey,' "Baby Forgive Me." On the light as a feather, minimal, sparkly bopT, Robyn is as calm as ever. She knows she f*cked up and it's up to her partner of decide what to do. Has she been forgiven? Judging by the length of the extended instrumental outro, she's still waiting

DqhzyDCX0AAGFLM.jpg

2GGT6Cq.png

Spoiler

"Twentytwo" revolves around the struggles and the confusion of being 22, but also suggests how to deal with them. As someone who's turned 22 this year, coincidentally the exact week this song's parent album (called 'Twentytwo in Blue') came out, I can see a lot of myself in this track. Sonically this is just as good - "Twentytwo" blooms as the times goes by. Julia C*mming's (the censorship :skull:) harmonies are otherwordly and when the chorus finally hits, it's as satisfying as imaginable.

5pUgGm2.png

Spoiler

I'm still trying to process how a track that is this simple can be so infectious. Real talk, though, this could go on and on and on and on and I'd still be not bored

giphy.gif

koQEele.png

Spoiler

The progression of this track is so mindblowing, I just had to make a walkthrough. First we have a dream poppy WU LYF-esque instrumental intro, then we're going ✈️ 'New Bermuda'-era Deafheaven, but with a little twist. The track slows down and then goes aggressive, then slows down and goes even more aggressive, compared to previous album's straightforward structures (were they though? Idc, you get my point). Then things get quiet for a moment, where only a simple guitar pattern and drums are present. This is where you'd expect a climax to happen and technically you're right, it's there! But you can tell the song is still building up to something and oooh bitch, you're completely right, but also not ready for what's to come. Literally out of the blue what I imagine a choir of monks appears, like wtf? This is not something you'd expect to hear on a Deafheaven track, but it works so well I get shivers every time it comes on.

bhD1cgm.png

Spoiler

Beach House did switch up some things with their latest album - I'm particularly having in mind "Black Car," their first song (correct me if I'm wrong) to feature no guitars. What is often overlooked, though, is that "Dark Spring" is probably their first track where the role of the drums is so significant. Not only do they set the tone to the whole record but also immediately put you in a certain mood. But don't think that the balance on "Dark Spring" is not remained. Victoria's soothing melodies and the dreamy guitars also play big roles on this track.

• ATRL Moderator

:dies:  skjaskld the baby forgive me write up...  idk it's my 2nd least fave from honey tho

Dark Spring, Pick Up & Baby Forgive Me:clap3:

Never heard of Deafheaven but I really enjoyed that track so I'll check out their album 

when the synth in baby forgive me comes in... phew

i think pick up is ok, canary yellow is p good, and dark spring is excellence but it's lowkey one of my least faves on 7 :mandown: 

Paramedic! >

And I like the GH title track.

They did what they had to do on dark spring.

As everyone else mentioned, the first part of that snail mail description was accurate. 

DqhzyDCX0AAGFLM.jpg

asdfghjkl

I'm Your Man is sweet!

I like Baby Forgive Me, but it's like the weakest track on Honey :mandown: 

Pick Up and Dark Spring :clap3: 

Baby Forgive Me is a cute girl, cute next to gorgeous Send to Robin Immediately.

Dark Spring is the second worst sing on 7 but they still snapped

Because It’s in the music is superior

X

The Baby Forgive Me write-up ksdjks. That was a classic DqhzyDCX0AAGFLM.jpg Dark Spring is all about drums and we love drums 

B3y5l4s.gif

twentytwo is gorgeous but I forgot its existence until now, your power :grimes~1:

Pick Up and Dark Spring... truly reinvented disco and shoegaze :grimes~1:

Canary Yellow :kylie~1:

• ATRL Moderator

Interesting Robyn and BH picks, at least they're unique!

I never listened to that DJ Koze pick, I just heard the al bum once and trashed everything that wasn't with Roisin Murphy lmao 

kompletnie zapomniałem o sunflower bean po jakimś tygodniu, a szkoda, twentytwo to świetna piosenka

dark spring niesamowity opener... czekam na lemon glow #1 btw x

Me irresponsibly walking into this thread knowing that I don't have time to reply to any of you (which I'll do when I wake up) just to post a news update

juD2nFR.gif

KB7FJd8.png

SvrFMn4.png

Spoiler

Sometimes it's not all about doing something the best or being the most innovative, but rather about capturing a certain mood or making you feel certain emotions. And "VLI," six minutes of bliss and comfort, in which you can easily get lost in, does it perfectly.

14DAE9J.png

Spoiler

The way I was PERCHED for this ever since I first heard Dev perform it at last year's The Meadows Festival, actually to the point I asked him the next day what was he planning to do with this track. After he said he was saving it for the album, I knew I had much to look forward to. And turned out my expectations were more than met! "Charcoal Baby" is very expansive in sound, rich in textures and most importantly, celebratory.

Smgjtmr.png

Spoiler

"Nobody" is an unusual ode to loneliness. After reading the lyrics, but before listening to it for the first time you might think you're about to hear the most depressing song of all-time, where in fact it's quite the opposite. What's funny is that "Nobody" is really confusing in its simplicity. Even though it's pretty straightforward and more or less follows a traditional pop song structure, I remember thinking to myself "why is there so much going on here? This is going in a hundred directions at once." Maybe that was because I wasn't prepared for the unexpected synth funk that brings to my mind the excellence of "Uncle ACE"? Honestly, who cares.

ZvANfqX.png

Spoiler

This is what I felt from 2:24 onwards

giphy.webp

hmhVOcQ.png

Spoiler

On the surface, "Blue Rose" with its watery, slick production already feels cathartic. But when we dive deeper into the lyrics, we find out that it actually is cathartic. It's a song about a tough relationship with [Damon McMahon's] father and searching for own identity. This is poetry, kids.

#6 to #8 SNAPPED

Is Nobody your highest Mitski track? If so you got it right :clap3: 

Dive :flame:Made up for putting Dark Spring so high!

Blue Rose is nice :clap3: 

D*ve is kinda the most overrated track from Se7en... still a classique tho :)

Nobody and Charcoal Baby.

524694660518772736.png?v=1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.