Chapel's Best of 2018 | Songs 30-21

ChapelHooker

xrDORrf.jpg

sorry for the lack of update yesterday i was REALLY sad busy, but we will hopefully be back on track now xo

thanks for commenting as always, will return the favor asap. stay tuned for the first real list soon.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:13 PM, Weed said:

Yassssss for the Hayden Casey praise! :clap3:People need to stop sleeping on him!

right? we love indie excellence! :clap3:

On 12/12/2018 at 3:16 PM, Navyofbadgals said:

Hunter, DC and PH are great

EIL is a cute gal but a pretty obvious decline in quality (for bey at least)

Sweetener also cute but it has a few... choices.

also that Freedom album is forgettable 

finally someone agreeing on Freedom! it was nice, but not very memorable. and yes, EIL is nothing compared to Lemonade or S/T.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:25 PM, World Eater said:

Well, well, well, who would have thought a former OSH would put Sweetener here :somepoints: That, Freedun and Golden Year are my favorites from here

Double click on the pic and add a link there :eli:

XlXyfDo.gif

not Freedun jkadlfgh

On 12/12/2018 at 3:31 PM, Unoriginal said:

maybe Hayden Casey snapped 

he sure did!

On 12/12/2018 at 3:37 PM, Sbbmsve said:

:bibliahh: Hayden Casey, Grouper, Kimbra and Janelle :clap3:Surprised at ionnalee tho, I thought it would be in your list for sure :mandown:

based on plays she deserved but i had to take my stan goggles of and be real that the album has a lot of problems. 

On 12/12/2018 at 8:29 PM, enxe said:

All the videos in your top 10 are great :alexz:

thanks!

On 12/12/2018 at 8:42 PM, Tsareena said:

:'( yeah get into Anna Calvi but I see some taste in hm's... 

i really need to listen to Hunter again huh

On 12/12/2018 at 8:54 PM, Vilppu said:

i think we ALL loved this for two weeks and then never listened again

anna, ariana, carters, ionna, grouper and kimbra i enjoyed but HM seems about right

the way we all SWITCHED on Janelle, its what she deserves.

On 12/12/2018 at 9:17 PM, Body Electrician said:

Hunter and Freedom :clap3:

I couldn't really get into Grid of Points :'( it's no Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill

I forgot EIL was even a thing :skull: 

perched for your lists :smitten:

Grid of Points was the first album I heard of hers, I really need to get into her other stuff since I heard mutltiple times that she has way better.

On 12/12/2018 at 9:29 PM, Tom Vercetti said:

fair share of HMs. Another Life just didn't match up to AS Scanner or AS Truth.

DC magic didn't last long either. 

I don't think i ever listened to their EP's/singles, lemme add them to my list. and right? DC was great for like... two, three weeks.

On 12/13/2018 at 1:06 AM, potent said:

Dirty Computer was the first Janelle album I heard and I kinda expected better, there are still some great songs though.

The ArchAndroid and even The Electric Lady are MUCH better and aged WAY better.

On 12/13/2018 at 1:07 AM, ultraviolence.xx said:

lots of talent in here

with one exception :eli: 

super grateful to you for introducing me to ionnalee :heart2:  

i only see talent. period. and you're welcome :hughard:

477959069102112769.png?v=1

On 12/13/2018 at 1:43 AM, volition said:

This is a great set of HMs! I loved Amen Dunes's album and I really liked Sweetener too. Dirty Computer, Primal Heart, EIL, and ionnalee's album seem like fitting HMs to me, they're decent. I think i listened to Devon Welsh but I can't remember it at all, Confidence Man does get tiresome I agree, Hunter was good, Grouper was pretty good, and Golden Year :heart2: an inclusion

okay..... so we love taste and mutual intelligence.

On 12/13/2018 at 2:31 AM, Remmy said:

HMs: No complaints on Sweatener and Everything Is Hatred not making it, but welp @ Dirty Computer + Primal Heart :'(

479021524410433557.png?v=1

On 12/13/2018 at 6:28 AM, Vxspertine said:

The only reason you included this is for the writeup isn't it? :ahh:

1565ba0d-5534-471e-aa28-b00ed389c5ac.gif?width=400&height=225

On 12/13/2018 at 8:10 AM, TheWayWeWere said:

nnn not Sweetener and Dirty Computer on HMs :jonny: your list better slay :jonny2: 

Ionnalee's album was great, but her iamamiwhoami music >>> 

it will x

and yes, definitely. i mean... comparing iam's weakest song to ionna's strongest and they barely can compete lol. Claes won.

On 12/13/2018 at 4:38 PM, K$Ellie said:

Not Be The MITSKI Cowboy getting a mention in the Artwork and Design category :oh:

have you ever seen the full vinyl packaging? it's gorgeous!

21 hours ago, artangel said:

Sweetener and EATBF hms? eaux WEAUX

its what they deserve.gif

21 hours ago, TRF. said:

AS, Kimbra, ionna, Ari, Janelle, Grouper :heart2: wish some of these would have made it to the main list but oh well :)

maybe you won't when you see my actual album list, whew knews! :eli:

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChapelHooker

• Sbbmsve

• theblackestday

• Tsareena

Rae, Melody And Laurel ❤️ 

No big losses :fan: Quite surprised that the Tune-Yards album didn't make it, but then again, am I? :fan: That, Blood and Bon Voyage were disappointments for me

Bon Voyage deserved better :'(

Raw Silk Uncut Wood didn't really feel all that significant to me, the title track is amazing but that's pretty much it

I didn't feel like Blood was a nosedive in quality, I still liked it, but I do agree that his last album was better.

4 hours ago, ChapelHooker said:

Tropical F*** Storm - Laughing Death in Meatspace

been meaning to listen to this for months now but I keep pushing it back for some reason :rip:

4 hours ago, ChapelHooker said:

Tune-Yards - I can feel you creep into my private life

This is still a bit clumsy and awkward, but I really appreciate the change of pace

and there are lot of highlights on this. 

A bit awkward is an understatement :rip:

Edited by Vxspertine

yep, these all feel very 'honourable mention' to me. tune-yards, rae, neneh, etc. i did not like rhye and i also think melody deserved better :mandown:

lots of great albums, beautiful albums (pretends to be shocked)

some deserved better and some are very HM'd indeed

also screaming at you snubbing your most played album from your list, I could never

Saved :smitten: Only got into them this year and the album is great. But trimming down the tracklist? It's already 12 songs :keir:

• ATRL Moderator

I liked Neneh Cherry's album but I too only listened once or twice ff
now, now not making ?
also someone out there... girl I-
oop tea on Blood. did someone leave the band omg 
tommy cash and lovelaws. ooh the taste again

Best EP's

bjlv8QT.png

The prelude to Harris' third studio album is filled to the brim with moments of quiet brilliance,

from the hypnotic More We Cannot Do, to the infectious title track and the brilliant

reworks that accompany this release. The remixes were a pleasant surprise.

DztCKrn.png

Kaytrananananada's first material since his brilliant debut LP and big bops were served.

I really like that he put the instrumental versions of the songs on it, they serve a different

purpose but you can really appreciate the production on them. 

qWIdP7t.png

A Casual Assembly combines ambient electronica with spoken word to create a truly singular,

unique experience that it sometimes humourous, unsettling and infectious, sometimes

at the same time. Unlike anything I heard this year.

tFFSkOd.png

After collaborating with Mount Kimbie on their last studio album and touring with them,

Andrea Balency releases her most experimental material to date. Gone are the synthpop

and electronica of her first two fantastic EP's (Walls & Volcano), in are abstract, loosely

structured songs with string instruments and disorienting vocals.

d9tKVjO.png

Released as the first outing for Smith's new label/brand Touchtheplants, Abstractions is trademark

Kaitlyn: impeccable production, sound design but this time with a little bit of a wink of an eye.

Released as one 20-minute track it's quite an experience, like with all of her releases.

The Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith EP/track/whatever was very

interesting-miranda-cosgrove_0.jpg

hi

lets pretend like i constantly updated

second EP thing coming later today x

On 12/14/2018 at 10:59 PM, Unoriginal said:

A few of these deserved more than HM but this is cute :yas:

which ones? :fan:

On 12/14/2018 at 11:02 PM, Eeveelution said:

A fitting HM list, nothing was robbed here.

I forgot completely about Tune-Yards. :rip: Colonizer probs deserved a HM from me.

we love bops about white guilt

On 12/14/2018 at 11:15 PM, prézli said:

I heard about Rae Morris and never checked out any of her stuffs.

it's a really solid and fresh take on pop music, check it out x

On 12/15/2018 at 12:13 AM, World Eater said:

No big losses :fan: Quite surprised that the Tune-Yards album didn't make it, but then again, am I? :fan: That, Blood and Bon Voyage were disappointments for me

it's what she deserves (for the decline in quality, even tho i bopped)

Blood was such a snooze compared to Woman, still beautiful moments tho

I only know Bon Voyage, sounds like i should check out her first album

On 12/15/2018 at 2:49 AM, Vxspertine said:

Bon Voyage deserved better :'(

Raw Silk Uncut Wood didn't really feel all that significant to me, the title track is amazing but that's pretty much it

I didn't feel like Blood was a nosedive in quality, I still liked it, but I do agree that his last album was better.

been meaning to listen to this for months now but I keep pushing it back for some reason :rip:

A bit awkward is an understatement :rip:

did it tho? :fan:

it's a pleasent listen and well-made, but like you said, not really significant

fjfjakfsk, probably. 

On 12/15/2018 at 4:18 AM, theblackestday said:

also screaming at you snubbing your most played album from your list, I could never

unlike others (cough), I can take my stan goggles off and see it as a decline in quality x

On 12/15/2018 at 4:27 AM, Remmy said:

Saved :smitten: Only got into them this year and the album is great. But trimming down the tracklist? It's already 12 songs :keir:

10 would have been better, it gets very same-y towards the end

On 12/15/2018 at 7:08 AM, Tsareena said:

I liked Neneh Cherry's album but I too only listened once or twice ff
now, now not making ?
also someone out there... girl I-
oop tea on Blood. did someone leave the band omg 
tommy cash and lovelaws. ooh the taste again

it was fantastic, but the fact that i didnt feel the need to listen more speaks for itself

it almost made it, so..... cheer up i guess?

:deserves:

yes, Robin Hannibal left so its a solo project instead of a duo now. and you hear it

• ATRL Moderator

The praise the Kaytra instrumentals are getting over the vocal versions :fan: it's what they deserve

I feel like a flop for only knowing the Kaytranada EP Swpr.gif but it indeed served quality big bops

I would've checked that Kaitlyn EP but don't think it would do much to me since I wasn't a fan of The Kid tbh

Oh wow, I didn’t know that Kaitlyn released an EP this year :duca: I just got into her with The Kid :jonny5:Kaytranada bringed quality again :jonny5: Also your graphics are looking CLEAN, looking forward for the next update :jonny5:

good to see kaytranada keeps good form, i kinda expected his debut album to be a fluke for some reason

Best EP's

d8tCF1r.png

Little Dragon finally feel comfortable again, creating some of their most straightforward

and directly pleasing songs since Ritual Union. After the huge disappointment that was

Season High, they go into more of a house influenced direction which results in three

super fun, careless songs. The title track especially is a highlight.

erTlacr.png

Oscar Thorn's sensual R&B-inspired pop takes new forms on No Disguise, his third EP.

After being stranded in Berlin, Thorn found new inspiration and recorded music for slow

dancing in a club. Simple, catchy melodies on top of wonderfully simple production

create some of his strongest work to date.

1tZaRRc.png

Remix projects are usually never that interesting or captivating, unlike Reshaped, the first

EP by Perfume Genius, which reworks songs from my favorite record of 2017. I really liked how

cohesive this felt despite being a remix EP and almost all of the remixes do something

interesting and new to the songs.

iTcJFqu.png

King Princess delivers her promising debut EP of lean, buttery pop music. There is not much

to say about this other than it's super pleasant and well done. Great hooks and melodies,

the production is understated without being too uneventful etc.

Zty5Dvr.png

Kimbra gorgeously reworks four songs off her third (and best) studio album Primal Heart

into intimate, stripped back pop ballads and it works beautifully. The songs get a whole new

vibe and impact and the melodies sometimes hit even stronger. 

don't know absolutely none of those eps except for PG ofc

ChapelHooker

i'm not really familiar with these sets of eps so far besides the reshape and kaytranada's. Not the first time i've seen Kimbra's though.  

• ATRL Moderator

omg Make My Bed! great pop songs... really excited for King Princess

Kimbra also did that on her EP

Best EP's

CPzZWU3.png

Sevda Alizadeh follows up her incredible debut ISON with a collection of songs that

doesn't necessarily build on the style found on that record, rather takes it into a few

other directions. It works out mostly well, and her singular aesthetic and signature vocal

style easily sets this apart from other artists trying similar things.

JISr97g.png

Cameron Mesirow's first original material in five years is presented as a single 15 minute

track, but it's split up into segments. It combines interviews she conducted with her friends

about their sexual experiences with techno-leaning art pop beats. It occasionally gets 

weird and even uncomfortable, which makes it even more of an experience.

BvYnJPi.png

I think I speak for many when I say that Syro is, retrospectively, a disappointment. Most

of the material since James' Aphex Twin revival hasn't really been up to his older material, which

changed with this year's Collapse EP, probably his finest and most consice material since

the Richard D. James album. It has that classic, singular Aphex Twin sound, but it does't 

sound as foreced or tired as Syro or Cheetah does.

hnS63sC.png

Remo Drive follow up their promising debut (brilliantly titled Greatest Hits) with a short and sweet

three track EP, aptly titled Pop Music. The songs found here are more straightforward and less

noisy than those on GH, but still hit that wonderful pop rock spot. Simple, but pleasant.

qefrQIz.png

Okovi, Nika Danilova's best Zola Jesus album so far, gets a very welcome friend in the form

of Okovi: Additions, a collection of leftover's and remixes from the Okovi sessions. This was 

a nice surprise, the B-Sides are beautiful, and the remixes really add something new

to the songs without sacrificing the aesthetic of the album and fit wonderfully.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.