HONESTLY, 2018. - Albums Top 4 + Singles Top 10

TRF.

hzVopPe.png

EXslkbz.png

-

Lowkey... there were a lot of releases that would technically fall into what someone would call "EP" this year, right? Like, *generic commentary on how the lines between "EP", "album" and "mixtape" became more blurred than ever before*. For real though.

Anyway, special shoutout to boygenius, Wednesday Campanella, Lechuga Zafiro, Black Thought, James Ferraro, Andre 3000 and Kero Kero Bonito, who made really good EPs but I guess I wasn't too into them or I didn't listen to enough. ?

-

fgigROj.png

-

#20.

Sudan Archives - 'Sink'

Genre: Folktronica, Art Pop, Alternative R&B

-

L.A. artist Brittney Parks' debut EP as Sudan Archives, released last year saw her mix modern pop and R&B with techniques of Northeastern African fiddling, but with a very electronic, experimental and unpredictable nature. Her following EP, released in May, follows that path, except that this time around there is a slightly stronger focus in its pop aspect, with stronger hooks and slicker production. This does not make 'Sink' any less adventurous though, as it contains some of her most interesting compositions to date.

-

LISTEN

You'll like it if you like: Solange, Juana Molina, Kaytranada, Abu Obaida Hassan, Kelela
Highlights: "Sink", "Nont for Sale", "Mind Control", "Beautiful Mistake"

-

QE1MgnQ.png-

-

#19.

Empath - 'Liberating Guilt and Fear'

Genre: Noise Pop, Noise

-

Noise pop is nothing new per se, but Empath succeed in taking it to its literal extreme. They are lo-fi in a way in which you can still make out the hook beneath the songs, they have really catchy songs buried under bursts of noise and an ugly recording, which sort of gives you the idea that the vocalist is not trying to be heard by the lyrics, but wants you to feel pure and raw emotion. They also have a 10-minute straight-up noise track which sounds like it was made almost exclusively with recordings of birds, synths and guitar feedback, which is pretty dope, too.

-

LISTEN

You'll like it if you like: Perfect *****, Speedy Ortiz, Kraus, G.L.O.S.S., Puce Mary
Highlights: "The Eye", "No Attachment" "III"

-

99xlTfg.png

-

#18.

Astrosuka - 'Astrosuka'

Genre: Deconstructed Club, Sound Collage

-

In the past few years, there have been several forward-thinking dance music producers which have taken the genre into its most abrasive and avant-garde extremes possible. Astrosuka, a Russian-born, Argentina-based producer and member of the Buenos Aires TRRUENO collective/label is no exception, but manages to sound quite different from his contemporaries, by including rhythms typical of reggaeton, baile funk or cumbia, heavily modulated vocals that merge pretty well with the beats and uncanny samples, giving it a lot of replay value, at least in order to make sense of what is going on.

-

LISTEN

You'll like it if you like: Amnesia Scanner, Arca, Kamixlo, WWWINGS, Lotic

Highlights: "B3T", "NDS", "ТУМАН", "STTTL"

-

xoTDJps.png

-

#17.

Peggy Gou - 'Once'

Genre: Deep House

-

Korean and Berlin-based producer Peggy Gou became one of the most important figures in the DJ world in the past two years, and her EP 'Once' did nothing but to solidify it. This EP is only three tracks long and less than 20 minutes long, but manages to pack just about as much energy as you would expect in the best of house music. Not to mention all the catchy melodies found through the record, and especially the vocals in tracks like "It Makes You Forget (Itgehane)". And that cover art!

-

LISTEN

You'll like it if you like: Kelly Lee Owens, John Talabot, DJ Koze, Yaeji

Highlights: "It Makes You Forget (Itgehane)", "Han Jan"

-

LKCDQyy.png

-

#16.

Hatchie - 'Sugar & Spice'

Genre: Dream Pop

-

It is easy to see why the Australian musician Harriette Pilbeam a.k.a. Hatchie would become such a rising figure in the indie sphere. 'Sugar & Spice', her debut EP, is dream pop at its most colorful, comfortable and catchy, and her soft yet clear vocals make all the melodies in it sound even more fantastic. It sounds nostalgic and referential to other bands and sounds, yet is very careful not to sound derivative, it has some of the best pop songwriting you can possibly find this year.

-

LISTEN

You'll like it if you like: Alvvays, Neon Indian, Slowdive, Beach House, Snail Mail

Highlights: "Sure", "Sleep", "Sugar & Spice"

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRF.

• Remmy

• Pink Matter

• theblackestday

The way the "if you like it" sxn is gonna make me skip Peggy Gou...

Great set. Enjoyed Astrosuka a lot.

Both of us putting Sudan at #20, poor her

Was gonna check that Astrosuka EP but it's not on Spotify so it ain't getting my coins I guess

Yes Peggy Gou yes talent

S&S deserved better :noparty: gonna pretend I didn't see Snail Mail being snuck in those recs :)

• ATRL Moderator

Hatchie and Peggy deserved top 10!!! :mad:

I liked Sudan Archives a lot too but really only one song stood out. 

snatchie acclaim mm i love that song

also idk how i'm only now realising you're iamvulnicura on twitter but omg you're like the sweetest person ever there keep being amazing

8 hours ago, volition said:

hatchie, sweetie

Get her Jade.

Hatchie is great, Peggy... has potential. :mandown: 

The #1 video, some points :flower: Django Jane is terrible but the video is cute :-* the Frontline video made me like the song :rip:

thank u, next was v cute :celestial4:Fukk Sleep is mediocre but the video slaps a bit :smitten: Mitski, Fever Ray and Sophie :clap3:

9 hours ago, volition said:

hatchie, sweetie

9 hours ago, theblackestday said:

Both of us putting Sudan at #20, poor her

Was gonna check that Astrosuka EP but it's not on Spotify so it ain't getting my coins I guess

Yes Peggy Gou yes talent

S&S deserved better :noparty: gonna pretend I didn't see Snail Mail being snuck in those recs :)

first of all there is Snail Mail slander, this is NOT allow! I don't even like her album that much but she made several points IMO! :michael: also the Astrosuka EP is available for free on Bandcamp so you have no excuse!

2 hours ago, Vilppu said:

snatchie acclaim mm i love that song

also idk how i'm only now realising you're iamvulnicura on twitter but omg you're like the sweetest person ever there keep being amazing

omgggg thank u sweetie :heart2:

hzVopPe.png

EXslkbz.png

-

Anyway! Let's continue :)

-

CrRp5a3.png

-

#15.

700 Bliss - 'Spa 700'

Genre: Experimental Hip Hop, Deconstructed Club

-

Moor Mother is an artist that has made waves around the world thanks to her original merge of noise and rap, with lyrics that took inspiration on history, activism and her own experience as a black woman in America. 700 Bliss, her project with producer DJ Haram, is an extension of that in terms of topics and spirit, but musically, it also takes influences from club music from all over the planet, making for a listening experience that is as important as it is genuinely interesting.

-

LISTEN

You'll like it if you like: Vince Staples, Moor Mother, Rabit, Chino Amobi, Shabazz Palaces
Highlights: "Basic", "Ring the Alarm", "Living"

-

jxbDd6H.png

-

#14.

LYZZA - 'Imposter'

Genre: Alternative R&B, Deconstructed Club, UK Bass

-

LYZZA, a Brazilian producer based in Amsterdam, released her debut EP in 2017. It featured some of the best club music released that year, going from reggaeton to grime to ballroom to R&B. And in her second EP she continues to deliver nothing but excellence, but this time around it comes in a more accessible, "pop" context. Her vocals sound clear, there are lots of beautiful melodies and lyrics that are as personal as they are playful. That does not mean that there are no bangers in here, far from it, as you can see the influence that everything from gabber to funk carioca has in the record, but it sounds more cohesive and better than ever before.

-

LISTEN

You'll like it if you like: Linn Da Quebrada, Kelela, Abra, Sega Bodega, coucou chloe
Highlights: "Get What U Got", "2BORN2TB", "Fraud"

-

na3XzzP.png

-

#13.

DJ N**** Fox - 'Crânio'

Genre: Batida, Afro-House, Kuduro

-

Angolan producer Rogério Brandão, a.k.a. DJ N**** Fox is one of the most important producers coming from the Príncipe label, which has redefined the Portuguese kuduro and batida sounds for almost a decade. Having always been one of the most inventive people in the label, taking influences from acid house, techno or IDM into his own music, he continues to do that for his debut under the Warp imprint. The 'Crânio' EP, aside from the Lisbon-originated genres he has been known for making, also has footwork, gqom, batucada and other sounds from all over the world, making it one of the most ecletic and most importantly, fun electronic releases of the year.

-

LISTEN

You'll like it if you like: Nídia, Jlin, Machinedrum, FAKA, DJ Lycox, Ninos du Brasil

Highlights: "Sinistro", "Poder do Vento", "Maria Costa", "WAABA-JAH"

-

jTmsDVB.png

-

#12.

Ravyn Lenae - 'Crush'

Genre: Neo-Soul, Contemporary R&B

-

Young singer and songwriter Ravyn Lenae was known for her electro-R&B sound, that caught the ear of people like Noname, Saba or Palmistry. Which is why the shift into a more organic kind of soul music is not exactly expected, but thanks to Steve Lacy's production and songwriting, it is a more than welcome change of style. 'Crush' has some of Ravyn Lenae's most beautiful vocal performances, as well as some of the best R&B songs of the year, tracks that are undeniably catchy and well-written, one of the highlights of the year within the genre for sure.

-

LISTEN

You'll like it if you like: Kali Uchis, Steve Lacy, Solange, Amber Mark, Kelis, Thundercat

Highlights: "Sticky", "Closer (Ode 2 U)", "4 Leaf Clover" (feat. Steve Lacy)

-

wBtRcqf.png

-

#11.

Oklou - 'The Rite of May'

Genre: Alternative R&B, Art Pop

-

To start your record with lines like "Why do you love me?/you ain't got no reason to love me" already suggests that whatever you're going to listen to is not exactly going to be the happiest of things. And Oklou's EP  'The Rite of May' is anything but. But it also feels rather unique, as much as there is lots of sad pop music out there, it is rare to find a record that manages to pack so many emotions but feel as current as this does, lyrics about hopelessness and loneliness coexist with autotuned vocals, trap beats, pianos, trance arpeggios or even saxophones. And it is even better when it sounds as good as this does.

-

LISTEN

You'll like it if you like: How to Dress Well, Charli XCX, Yaeji, Grouper, Burial, Yung Lean

Highlights: "Valley", "Samuel", "Holy Lost Arizona", "Friendless"

• ATRL Moderator

Crush was underwhelming to me besides Sticky :sad:  

LYZZA'S EP SLAYED!!! 

everyone's been listing sudan archives, guess I have to check her out :mandown: 

3 hours ago, TRF. said:

#12.

Ravyn Lenae'Crush'

Genre: Neo-Soul, Contemporary R&B

I was just listening to her because she’s on everyone’s list. Need to listen few more times before making my mind up.

your list is surprisingly Urban oriented. I was under the impression you were more into Electronic

Well I like Peggy's EP & the other EPs appear to be Image result for interesting miranda cosgrove

11 hours ago, Reinvention said:

This is a very indie rate huh.

interesting-miranda-cosgrove_0.jpg 

and what about it!

interesting-miranda-cosgrove_0.jpg

17 hours ago, Superpower said:

I was just listening to her because she’s on everyone’s list. Need to listen few more times before making my mind up.

your list is surprisingly Urban oriented. I was under the impression you were more into Electronic

I am! I have multiple interests tho :celestial2: 

18 hours ago, artangel said:

everyone's been listing sudan archives, guess I have to check her out :mandown: 

u should! :heart2:

Update coming shortly :)

Only listened to that Ravyn EP from this set :'( I've heard great things about the rest tho

hzVopPe.png

EXslkbz.png

-

Let's continue :)

-

YfyG72t.png

-

#1o.

Oneohtrix Point Never - 'Love in the Time of Lexapro'

Genre: Progressive Electronic, Ambient

-

Oneohtrix Point Never released his album 'Age Of' this June, which featured him moving into a more accessible direction, making what are essentially pop songs through an avant-garde lense. As a companion to that release, he put out three other EPs, 'The Station', 'We'll Take It' and 'Love in the Time of Lexapro', the latter being probably the better of them. It features two original tracks - the title track and "Thank God I'm a Country Girl", which are some of the best tracks he released this year - and two reworks of 'Age Of' tracks from Ryuichi Sakamoto and Alex G, both of them very well-done and different from the originals.

-

LISTEN

You'll like it if you like: his most ambient-leaning works, Ryuichi Sakamoto, James Ferraro
Highlights: "Love in the Time of Lexapro", "Last Known Image of a Song (Ryuichi Sakamoto Rework)", "Thank God I'm a Country Girl"

-

ImET0kj.png

-

#09.

Smerz - 'Have Fun'

Genre: Glitch Pop, Deconstructed Club

-

Smerz is the duo of Norwegian producers and vocalists Henriette Motzfeldt and Catharina Stoltenberg, who make music that falls somewhere in between synthpop, R&B and experimental electronic music. Their debut EP, 'Sure', saw them mixing elements of house, techno and footwork into their sound. This EP, however, sees them moving into a less accessible direction. There's noise, industrial, dark ambient, ballroom and trip hop, making it a more abrasive listen than their debut was by far. Having said that, they still keep the melodies, soft vocals and overall fun that characterizes them, which is a great thing!

-

LISTEN

You'll like it if you like: Jessy Lanza, Yves Tumor, Dean Blunt, Inga Copeland, Amnesia Scanner
Highlights: "Worth It", "No Harm", "Oh My My", "Have Fun", "Half Life"

-

D0I7LiG.png

-

#08.

Kilo Kish - 'Mothe'

Genre: Art Pop, Alternative R&B, Electropop

-

Kilo Kish's debut album, 'Reflections in Real Life', was an album that was mostly rooted in the intersection of indie pop and rap music, with lots of self-reflective and personal lyricism. Not necessarily the case with 'Mothe', her most recent EP. Released after a stellar appearance on Vince Staples' 'Big Fish Theory', this represents a change in sound more than anything, there is a stronger presence of electronics and more experimental beats. Most of the highlights of the record sound like a hypothetical Zola Jesus and Timbaland collab. But there is a lot of what makes Kilo Kish's music sound so intimate as well, making this probably her best release to date.

-

LISTEN

You'll like it if you like: Zola Jesus, Timbaland, iamamiwhoami, Aaliyah, The Knife, Abra

Highlights: "Like Honey", "Void", "Elegance", "Prayer"

-

h8RCCmM.png

-

#07.

Allie X - 'Super Sunset'

Genre: Electropop, Synthpop

-

Canadian singer/songwriter/producer Allie X has made some of the most interesting electropop since 2014, with the release of her EP 'CollXtion I' getting her lots of fans all over the world, not only due to her music, but because of her aesthetics and work ethic. After releasing her debut album 'CollXtion II', she did not take much time to come up with a follow-up. And 'Super Sunset', despite not forming part of her "collXtions", still has everything that made her debut so thrilling in the world of pop music, with some of her best songs to date.

-

LISTEN

You'll like it if you like: CHVRCHES, Robyn, Lady Gaga, Charli XCX

Highlights: "Little Things", "Science", "Girl of the Year", "Focus"

-

yWLfJlc.png

-

#06.

LOONA - '[+ +]'

Genre: K-Pop, Dance-Pop

-

It does not take much to realize why do LOONA have such a cult following. Despite not being exactly the biggest girl group in Korea sales-wise, they gained a big amount of fans due to the group's roll-out (the "girl of the month" thing, which led to a thousand theories from their biggest stans), their music videos, their members' personalities and more than anything, the immaculately-written-and-produced music. In their debut EP as a proper full group, each one of these things is in display. While there are some problems, especially with the division of lines between the 12 members, when this EP is at its best, it is pure pop euphoria. And yes I'm gonna say it... STAN LOONA!

-

LISTEN

You'll like it if you like: f(x), 2NE1, BLACKPINK, Carly Rae Jepsen, Grimes

Highlights: "Hi High", "Favorite", "Perfect Love", "Stylish"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.