• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iHype.

• Green

• dussymob

• FutureHive

16 minutes ago, Godele said:

Did he break Janet's record? :dancehall2:

You talking about the most top tens from an album record? If so, he ties with Janet (Rhythm Nation), Michael (Thriller) and Bruce Springsteen (Born In The USA) for the most.

Just now, umich said:

You talking about the most top tens from an album record? If so, he ties with Janet (Rhythm Nation), Michael (Thriller) and Bruce Springsteen (Born In The USA) for the most.

What about the most top 5 from an album? :dancehall3:

Just now, Godele said:

What about the most top 5 from an album? :dancehall3:

Janet’s RN still holds that record :gaycat2: 

Just now, umich said:

Janet’s RN still holds that record :gaycat2: 

Good. :gaycat1:

QueenofCopyPaste

Radio is here to stay :sorry:

And it seems like In My Feelings will be the last #1 off the Scorpion era

2 hours ago, Adonis said:

Billboard seriously needs to cut airplay from the equation.

No. Not everyone uses downloads or streaming.

3 hours ago, simmnfierzig said:

No

Cutting into a metric that is already decreasing makes absolutely no sense. 

Do you think they increased the influence of sales? Or just tweaked streaming?

• ATRL Moderator

Can someone who wants radio cut out of the formula further explain why? From my very casual perspective on the charts, people are still theoretically choosing to keep the radio station on and listening to that song right? They have the ability to change it or turn it off if they don’t want to listen to it. I understand that record labels will promote songs on radio so it’s not always organic, but I’d imagine that a lot of the public above 30 are still consuming via radio? Enlighten me with stats ty 

52 minutes ago, PurrKaty said:

Do you think they increased the influence of sales? Or just tweaked streaming?

They increased sales a bit

On 7/8/2018 at 9:48 AM, simmnfierzig said:

Final predictions

30 Plug Walk       170 (-15) 

:rip:

11 minutes ago, Armani? said:

:rip:

Almost :dies:

1 hour ago, Element said:

Can someone who wants radio cut out of the formula further explain why? From my very casual perspective on the charts, people are still theoretically choosing to keep the radio station on and listening to that song right? They have the ability to change it or turn it off if they don’t want to listen to it. I understand that record labels will promote songs on radio so it’s not always organic, but I’d imagine that a lot of the public above 30 are still consuming via radio? Enlighten me with stats ty 

First of all we know radio deals and pay for play is a thing with radio. Secondly, users don't have an option to skip songs if they want to. Thirdly, the audience numbers are grossly inflated. We don't actually know how many people are listening at any given time. We can only guestimate the number of people listening to the songs. So it's an inaccurate measure of popularity at best. Radio stations play to a format rather than simply playing what people want to hear. Radio is also lagging when it  comes to songs that get popular quickly. Radio is usually 3-6 weeks behind consumer sentiment...if not moreso...

3 hours ago, Glynnefluence said:

And it seems like In My Feelings will be the last #1 off the Scorpion era

It’s definitely harder to get a #1 for a huge streaming artist when the albums been out for months and the song has millions of streams prior to its single release date. If Post Malone for example released Ball For Me or Better Now instead of Psycho they probably would have gone #1 just like Psycho. So now they’re gonna have a tough time reaching #1 but it isn’t impossible. I wouldn’t count Nonstop, Emotionless, and Don’t Matter To Me out the equation just yet. However, he’d most likely have to pull through with a killer video, promo, and/or a discount when it’s peaking in other metrics to offset the early peak in on-demand streaming.

1 minute ago, PurrKaty said:

It’s definitely harder to get a #1 for a huge streaming artist when the albums been out for months and the song has millions of streams prior to its single release date. If Post Malone for example released Ball For Me or Better Now instead of Psycho they probably would have gone #1 just like Psycho. So now they’re gonna have a tough time reaching #1 but it isn’t impossible. I wouldn’t count Nonstop, Emotionless, and Don’t Matter To Me out the equation just yet. However, he’d most likely have to pull through with a killer video, promo, and/or a discount when it’s peaking in other metrics to offset the early peak in on-demand streaming.

It’s not happening just like Love and Loyalty both missed top ten last year from DAMN.

12 minutes ago, dussymob said:

It’s not happening just like Love and Loyalty both missed top ten last year from DAMN.

Don’t forget the second biggest streaming artist Ed Sheeran just hit #1 for 6 weeks a 4th single, nearly 9 months after album release. It is possible. Just very unlikely and more rare with streaming.

Edited by PurrKaty

15 minutes ago, PurrKaty said:

Don’t forget the second biggest streaming artist Ed Sheeran just hit #1 for 6 weeks a 4th single, nearly 9 months after album release. It is possible. Just very unlikely and more rare with streaming.

That artist you just named is also a big seller which Drake is not so I stand corrected.

Looks like a lot country/rock albums gained from this new rule meanwhile rap albums dropped on charts.

6 minutes ago, idkwiam said:

Looks like a lot country/rock albums gained from this new rule meanwhile rap albums dropped on charts.

Some pop albums gained too - 

1989  #96(+27)

ANTI  #118(+20)

25  #167(+22)

Just now, marsblyr said:

Some pop albums gained too - 

1989  #96(+27)

ANTI  #118(+20)

25  #167(+22)

And Drake albums despite him dropping a new album did not increase that much.

3 minutes ago, idkwiam said:

I think the album drop countered the negative impact from new rules.

8 minutes ago, idkwiam said:

His old albums were helped by the new rules.

Pos  Artist      Album         Activity  %     LW      Sales  Tracks   Streams

77    Drake    Take Care    9,500    12    8,498    696    3,102    11,650,887

11,650,887 streams / 1500 = 7,767

3,102 tracks / 10 = 310

310 + 7,767 + 696 sales = 8,773 units under old rules

His album did 9,500 units under the new rules.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.