• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slw84

• QueenofCopyPaste

• Bunifa

• Green

2 hours ago, iHype. said:

The Hot 100 literally looks the Billboard 200 now, wow.

Over 60% of the top 10s of 2018 have debuted top 10. So many that also fell down pretty quickly (J. Cole's tracks, BTS, probably Kanye's tracks). 

And at least 10 of those top 10s won't even make the Hot 100 year-end charts or will rank lower that songs that peaked in the top 15 or top 20 and had great longevity like LOVE., Mine, Be Careful, Friends, Whatever it takes...

So far, These 2018 top 10 "hits" won't make the Billboard year-end charts: 

Justin Timberlake, "Filthy"

Drake, "Diplomatic Immunity"

J. Cole, "ATM" 

J. Cole, "Kevin's Heart" 

J. Cole, "KOD" 

BTS, "Fake Love" 

And probably Kanye's songs.

Chun-Li and Say Something could place in the Hot 100 year-end chart but maybe very low. 

I forgot filthy/JT came out this year :ahh: 

3 hours ago, sakisfan16 said:

oh all atrl members hates maroon 5...I'm happy that they has success now ..and 'girls like you' is a nice catchy pop song...stop with the 'sell out music' mess comments..if all of you wants more ''serious-decent'' music from them then you would had supported 'cold' and 'wait' songs more on charts for example...congratulations to them and I hope they will keep continue to have huge success like this ..17 years of career...they are really a huge band

It's been freaking 7 years and 3 albums since M5 were deemed a sellout

The narrative is so tired by now...ATRL needs to get over it

3 hours ago, Steve Jobs said:

Kanye finally returning to the top 10 ?

Cancelled my ass

27 Back To You       155 (+11)   :clap3:

2018: the year of the useless top 10 debuts. 

2 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Sadly, it’s only going to get worse.

but I’ve been saying thst for two years on here, glad to see others finally coming around :)

I wish Billboard would alter their rules about whole albums debuting top 40. lol 

7 minutes ago, ARTPØP said:

I wish Billboard would alter their rules about whole albums debuting top 40. lol 

How can they adjust the rules without making the chart inaccurate though?

The best way to do it without bringing in stupid rules like the UK would simply be to increase airplay slightly, or to decrease On-Demand streaming slightly.

2 hours ago, Green said:

So far, These 2018 top 10 "hits" won't make the Billboard year-end charts: 

Justin Timberlake, "Filthy"

Drake, "Diplomatic Immunity"

J. Cole, "ATM" 

J. Cole, "Kevin's Heart" 

J. Cole, "KOD" 

BTS, "Fake Love" 

And probably Kanye's songs.

Chun-Li and Say Something could place in the Hot 100 year-end chart but maybe very low. 

KOD will.

1 hour ago, ChartsFan said:

Discounts are used as marketing tools.  It has been used lately by some as an attempt to game the system and push sales enough to get a number one, but those cases are rare,  

the real purpose of a discount is to gain interest and talk about the song, you do this for a week or two as the song is in the middle of its growth to spur on more growth in future weeks as people who bought the song tell friends etc. As well as get your song mentioned more by stores and down,OSD sites so thst people see the song more.

most songs won’t see more than a ten to thirty point bump lately by a discount week, die to overall low sales,

The purpose of a discount as far as this decade goes is to get a higher peak

Maybe your point was true back in the 90s, but no one has done that in a very long time

It's a bit silly to talk about the "real" purpose of something...times change

1 hour ago, ChartsFan said:

Sadly, it’s only going to get worse.

but I’ve been saying thst for two years on here, glad to see others finally coming around :)

It's short term popularity kind of shows the state of the current dominating generation

6 hours ago, slw84 said:

It's short term popularity kind of shows the state of the current dominating generation

It's accurate. TBQH, radio shouldn't even factor into the charts. It's not at all dictated by what people are actually using or want to hear at any given moment. 

QueenofCopyPaste
10 minutes ago, Adonis said:

It's accurate. TBQH, radio shouldn't even factor into the charts. It's not at all dictated by what people are actually using or want to hear at any given moment. 

Radio is a consumption though so it will continue to be factored.

"Streaming stagnates the charts, they should rotate faster"

"Streaming allows too many songs to chart and they fall off fast"

Image result for button meme

Can't wait for Cardi going top 3 and top 5 today :duca: 

I think Girls Like You could be #4 though.

20 hours ago, simmnfierzig said:

Final predictions

5 Girls Like You       252  (+89)

6 Boo'd Up       252  (+2)

tenor.gif?itemid=8059269

7 hours ago, jose168 said:

Image result for button meme

Exactly

9 hours ago, Meghallah Godnor said:

Radio is a consumption though so it will continue to be factored.

TV is consumption as well. It's not factored in. 

The bottom line is that consumption via the user choice vs what the labels have paid TV and radio for are two different things and the latter is basically and ad and should not be included in the chart. You can't just change a song mid way if you dont like it. There is often only one from each genre in each of the markets. Secondly the listenership is highly suspect and the audience numbers are inflated.

Edited by Adonis

QueenofCopyPaste
2 minutes ago, Adonis said:

But radio amasses music audience wise than TV

Ariana is holding up really well and yesss at Cardi.

BTW Drake is the most overrated artist and 'rapper' ever

3 minutes ago, Adonis said:

The bottom line is that consumption via the user choice vs what the labels have paid TV and radio for are two different things and the latter is basically and ad and should not be included in the chart.

I've always thought that if they include radio airplay, they should also include the songs that DJs play in clubs. Although this would likely just boost hip hop songs even more lol.

(Billboard already does a chart which claims to be most-played songs in clubs, but it's completely inaccurate, record companies actually tell the DJs what songs to report, and they organise it so there's a different #1 every week).

8 hours ago, jose168 said:

Chart creation operated for decades on the "idea" of what a chart should look like.  It's logistically appealing to assuming that songs start low, move up at a certain pace, reach a plateau, and then move down at a certain pace.  People don't like the reality that the collective listening of an entire country is prone to swings/viral trends/etc...  The truth is, when something makes it big, it comes in with a bang a lot of the time.  It might also stay very popular for a long time; or it could end up fading really quickly.

People also don't like the idea that a song that was the most popular in a single given week; might not even be one of the top one hundred most popular songs from the entire year.  The reality is that that is indeed how things work in the real world.  For every song that gets the bulk of its popularity in a single week there is another that spreads its popularity evenly over five months.  A song that is super popular is likely to be super popular for a long time.  There are always exceptions to the rule; but the rule is that for the most part the biggest of the big hits will linger at the top forever and that plenty of big splashes will be one-week-wonders.

Everyone is listening to Drake's album the week it comes out.  Everyone is listening to Kanye's album the week it comes out. Etc...  So yeah; during that one single week the collective of America is listening to a bunch of random album tracks at the same time and those make big splashes.  After that, people will be busy with the next new album the following week; and while a majority will revisit the album, they won't be doing so in the same week so the songs won't ever be that popular again with the US as a whole in a single week.

55 minutes ago, TMRA said:

BTW Drake is the most overrated artist and 'rapper' ever

HEAVILY agree, i'm so sick of these mediocre dudes being praised for the most basic **** (see: Ed Sheeran) and the girls doing amazing stuff and being picked apart for it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.