Why is Britney's Single Peaks looking Not Very Good?

Cryptique

1 minute ago, Ghiles said:

She barely released any songs physically for sale in her prime, even the ones that were doing well on radio, like Crazy, which would have been a easy #1 otherwise.

i guess it paid off.. People bought her album in the end. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptique

• Divine

• Enoch

• Ghiles

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine having a #9 peaking song like Toxic and it still being more remembered/iconic than many other people’s faves #1 peaking songs :clap3:

my fave :clap3:

She barely released physical singles during her peak, that + the radio ban was a disaster, but her album sales remained good during her first 4 albums.

Also hip hop and r&b dominated for most of those years i think, she was selling because of her name basically.

Wait - why was there a radio ban? I had no idea! All this time as a young gay, I was like wait isnt anyone else jammin out to Me Against the Music?! lol

8 minutes ago, Cryptique said:

So I guess, that's their methodology to sell albums more..

giving me "no spotify release teas"

There is nothing wrong with witholding singles to increase album sales. Celine’s label didn’t want to release MHWGO so that Her Album and the titanic soundtrack could both sell 10 million each

15 minutes ago, Cryptique said:

It felt BIG.. personally

I agree. I'm seeing this list for the first time and I'm shocked tbh. Thought she had more #1s.

12 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Stay angry! :dies:

OP, Jive didn’t shift mass amounts of physical singles to stores. She had so many hits from each album, that people would just buy her actual album. Most of those peaks come from airplay alone.

Didn't Stronger go #11 almost entirely due to single sales

Why would anyone buy singles when 25M people were buying her albums ?

+ Not released correctly

+ Ban

All of these songs still were HUGE HITS, especially ww

Edited by Erreur2 La Nature

2 minutes ago, SeeingStars1515 said:

Wait - why was there a radio ban? I had no idea! All this time as a young gay, I was like wait isnt anyone else jammin out to Me Against the Music?! lol

There wasn't a flat-out radio ban - many stations still played her music - but because Britney declined to let Clear Channel(?) sponsor one of her tours, all of their stations pulled her music in retaliation. Everything from either Lucky or Stronger to Me Against the Music got affected.

Just now, Divine said:

No, thats radio airplay. Before the ban, britney would chart very high on airplay alone but wont crack the top because of limited single release

2 minutes ago, Enoch said:

No, thats radio airplay. Before the ban, britney would chart very high on airplay alone but wont crack the top because of limited single release

Stronger peaked at #17 on pop radio. That would not have gotten her a #11 peak on the Hot 100. It probably wouldn't have even put her in the top 50.

EDIT: It sold 415K physical singles.

Edited by Divine

22 minutes ago, Ari29 said:

Her songs were never, ever as big as her stans would have you believe.

Pretty much. She obviously was a big force but she wasn’t putting out nonstop hits ala 1989 and teenage dream. Her stans act Xtina wasn’t even a factor when in reality Stripped fit into the RnB market dominating then so much better and single success care with that. Blackout revitalized Britney’s single success tbh.

11 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Yeah, basically. It paid off in the end though, because more people buying the album helped give wind to the rest of the singles.

https://web.archive.org/web/20031225154847/https://www.house.gov/berman/newsroom/clear_channel_letter.html

It has been reported that Clear Channel has “punished” recording artists, including Britney Spears, for their refusal to use its concert promotion service, Clear Channel Entertainment, by “burying” radio ads for their concerts and by refusing to play their songs on its radio stations.”

i always wondered why her songs were never on the radio even tho she was so popular. She has a dedicated fan base because any other artist would've flopped 

Just now, SeeingStars1515 said:

Clear Channel (owner of a lot of radio stations at the time) wanted to sponsor the Dream Within a Dream tour but instead she took the Pepsi deal and they were salty about it.:deadbannana:

Idk if that's the whole story, but that's what i can say of the top of my head, you can find the official paperwork for the ban online i think. :deadbanana:

1 minute ago, Walk_Away21 said:

Pretty much. She obviously was a big force but she wasn’t putting out nonstop hits ala 1989 and teenage dream. Her stans act Xtina wasn’t even a factor when in reality Stripped fit into the RnB market dominating then so much better and single success care with that. Blackout revitalized Britney’s single success tbh.

That would be Circus. The Blackout singles didn't do that well. Gimme More was frontloaded and not supported by radio, Piece of Me struggled on radio, and Break the Ice flopped.

Edited by Divine

Urban was popular for all of the 2000s. Britney got hits when she can, but in the early 2000s, it was the J. Los,  Ushers, Ashantis, and Destinys Child's that were racking up all the airplay.  I believe Usher and Beyonce are the two biggest radio artists of the 2000s. Not JT and Britney but Bey and Usher.

She had to fight for Toxic to even be released as the 2nd single. The label wanted I Got That Boom Boom  because that was the poppin sound for 03/04. 

Her best radio era wasn't even till 2011 when dance-pop came back as a main staple in the States/US Top 40 radio for the first time in decades.

Edited by Nippy'sReceipts

4 minutes ago, Divine said:

There wasn't a flat-out radio ban - many stations still played her music - but because Britney declined to let Clear Channel(?) sponsor one of her tours, all of their stations pulled her music in retaliation. Everything from either Lucky or Stronger to Me Against the Music got affected.

Yeah I hate radio and luckily they are losing a ton of relevance. Candy man got blacklisted like this with a sudden radio pull mid era and then Xtina didn’t recover with Bionic. Lotus was her own mess though :rip:

Edited by Walk_Away21

7 minutes ago, Divine said:

Stronger and From the Bottom of My Broken Heart got physical releases, yeah. The only ones, along with her debut single. They got to #11 and #14 from pretty much sales only. They bombed on radio so they couldn't peak inside the top 10.

Her songs that were actual radio hits, like Crazy (#10 on overall radio) didn't get a CD to boost album sales.

Edited by Ghiles

1 minute ago, Divine said:

That would be Circus. The Blackout singles didn't do that well. Gimme More was frontloaded and not supported by radio, Piece of Me struggled on radio, and Break the Ice flopped.

Yeah but they still managed to be fairly popular and paved the way for Circus IMO.

No matter what atrl wants you to believe, her songs were never that big especially compared to how big she was a celebrity 

16 minutes ago, Walk_Away21 said:

Yeah but they still managed to be fairly popular and paved the way for Circus IMO.

That's only because digital sales counted for charts. Toxic didn't have that luck, for example.

Edited by Jeremiah

so 9 years into their career

Britney - 1-#1 & 5-top10s

Xtina - 4-#1s & 8-top10s

but Brit's singles felt BIGGER :skull:

SOme of yall forgetting how her vids were on constant rotation on music channels like trl and MTV

28 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

No matter what atrl wants you to believe, her songs were never that big especially compared to how big she was a celebrity 

Then why are all of her lead singles from every album except Glory so remembered and culturally relevant today?

9 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

33 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

Not you posting this lie again, 30 minutes later. :toofunny3: If her songs weren't big, she wouldn't have achieved those album sales. There's a correlation. Her songs were massive and figure among the biggest of all time, despite having "low" peaks like #9. http://chartmasters.org/2017/10/cspc-data-collector/7/

Edited by Ghiles