HDD: "Why did Adele beat Beyonce for AOTY?"

QueenofCopyPaste

QueenofCopyPaste

THE AWARDS

Lenny: As for the awards, your initial instinct [that Adele would sweep the ‘Big Three’ awards] was right, but they blew it.

Paul: OK, now we’re ready. Why did Adele beat Beyoncé for Album of the Year? May I start?

Lenny: Sure.

Paul: The votes were due at the accounting firm on Jan. 13, a week before Trump was inaugurated. His presidency has stirred weeks of protest that would have worked in Beyoncé’s favor. But my main concern here isn’t about who won or lost this year. It’s the principle of the thing. Grammy ballots were due nearly a month before the winners were announced [on Feb. 12]. We live in an information age where people expect current information, not information that is a month old. Oscar ballots are due at their accounting firm five days before the show. So it can be done. The Grammys make excuses about how it takes time. Instead, they should just make it happen.

hitsdd_photo_gal__photo_292050208.jpgLenny: I like that.

Paul: They’re presenting old information as if it’s fresh information.

Lenny: I like it. Go for it.

Paul: No contemporary R&B or hip-hop album has won Album of the Year since OutKast’s Speakerboxxx/The Love Below 13 years ago. Last November, Frank Ocean told The New York Times: “That institution…just doesn’t seem to be representing very well for people who come from where I come from, and hold down what I hold down.” Did he have a point?

Lenny: Yes.

Paul: Is there something they can do about it?

Lenny: I don’t know what the voting membership looks like.

Paul: It does seem that year after year, voters are presented with contemporary R&B and hip-hop albums and they bypass them and go with what they always go with. I like Adele. I respect her and I hate the fact that she is being dragged into this racial question and Grammy credibility question. It feels unfair to me. If there’s a backlash in the press to her winning…

Lenny: It shouldn’t be against her. Her warm charm and graciousness was one of the best things about the show.

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=304956

Paul: This was the second year in a row that they wouldn’t let the co-writer of Song of the Year speak. Last year, it was Amy Wadge [the co-writer of Ed Sheeran’s ‘Thinking Out Loud’]. This year, it was Greg Kurstin [the co-writer of Adele’s ‘Hello’]. It seems so rude. They over-pack the show and then they have to shave 20 seconds whenever they can. Maybe the answer is: Don’t over-pack the show.

He didn't lie.

Alejandrawrrr

Well I agree that there should be no backlash against Adele in particular. If she wasn't there it would have been Sturgill, probably :rip:

I feel bad for Adele. She deserves to win, so does Bey. But I think the backlash will only be lasting till this week. Next week, people will start talking about Oscar

I don't think people are mad that Adele won. Some are just upset at the circumstances at which Bey lost.

anyway, I want all talk of this to be done with. The Grammys are over and what's done is done :dies: 

Maybe they should allow online voting instead of just mail-in voting. I know the Emmys have switched to online pretty recently, I think. An easier voting system may increase votes and the voting deadline won't have to be so soon.

3 minutes ago, Donquizote said:

I feel bad for Adele. She deserves to win, so does Bey. But I think the backlash will only be lasting till this week. Next week, people will start talking about Oscar

Where is the backslash tho? people are praising Adele for recognizing Lemonade, they need to move on.

Blaming Adele is wrong. She went out of her way to make a nice gesture towards Beyoncé too. All she really is in the situation is someone who also worked extremely hard on her album. Be mad at the Grammys, adele didn't do anything though.

11 minutes ago, Jeiboy said:

The votes were due at the accounting firm on Jan. 13, a week before Trump was inaugurated. His presidency has stirred weeks of protest that would have worked in Beyoncé’s favor. But my main concern here isn’t about who won or lost this year. It’s the principle of the thing. Grammy ballots were due nearly a month before the winners were announced [on Feb. 12]. We live in an information age where people expect current information, not information that is a month old. Oscar ballots are due at their accounting firm five days before the show. So it can be done. The Grammys make excuses about how it takes time. Instead, they should just make it happen.

What does this mean? Are they saying Anti-Trump protests and other events which occurred close to the ceremony, like Beyonce announcing her pregnancy, may have influenced the AOTY ballot? 

Lemonade should have won AOTY and if they didn't want to give Beyonce the award for whatever reason, it should have gone to Sturgill because his album was really good. 

I just don't really understand the criteria. Last year it was sales over content. The year before it was content over sales. This year its sales over content again. I'm confused.

1 minute ago, T.O.A.D.S. said:

What does this mean? Are they saying Anti-Trump protests and other events which occurred close to the ceremony, like Beyonce announcing her pregnancy, may have influenced the AOTY ballot? 

Lemonade should have won AOTY and if they didn't want to give Beyonce the award for whatever reason, it should have gone to Sturgill because his album was really good. 

You sound bitter, you don't even recognize that 25 is a good album and better than Lemonade

1 minute ago, desdunate said:

You sound bitter, you don't even recognize that 25 is a good album and better than Lemonade

I don't get bitter over things that are out of my control lol just stating facts.

Yup. The let's blame Adele and call her mediocre thing is so unfair to Adele. She is the biggest female artist in the last ten years no one even come close after her there's Taylor, Beyoncé, Rihanna, katy and germanotta. But it's not even close like I said it's not that bey lost against a daya or Zara Larson she lost against Adele.  

Also hopefully it'll make some people(not just the hive but most stanbases) realize the Grammys ain't ****. It's all a popularity contest and it has been for the longest... everything factors here and popularity plays the biggest part... also the broccoli song was nominated :rip: like I've always said the Grammys are just like every other award. It's not just about excellence or the best song/album. 

That being said I wanted formation to win song of the year... formation>>>every other song from 2016 imo. 

Edited by Superbitch

The Grammys will not change because they love mess, attention, controversy, and money above all else. 

Also, the majority of voting is based on music industry politics so pushing the deadline back wouldn't affect voting :cm:

Edited by Chemical X.
Misguided Ghost

That was a good read, especially how the formula of the show is so much like a "variety show" rather than the music's biggest night. At least when you watch the Oscars you know that this is THE ceremony when art is celebrated.

8 minutes ago, desdunate said:

Let them seethe. These people are so bias. They wanna pretend like Adele's album wasn't a massive seller. These people are clearly idiots. If anything, they should be asking why Beyonce can't sell 3-5 million albums with ease... not crying because over some irrelevant trophy. Adele won fair and square deal with it. 

Edited by Ronnie Redd
1 minute ago, Misguided Ghost said:

That was a good read, especially how the formula of the show is so much like a "variety show" rather than the music's biggest night. At least when you watch the Oscars you know that this is THE ceremony when art is celebrated.

Goodbye. The Oscars are about as political as any award show...

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Redd said:

Let them seethe. These people are so bias. They wanna pretend like Adele's album wasn't a massive seller. These people are clearly idiots. If anything, they should be asking why Beyonce can't sell 3-5 million albums with ease... not crying because of some irrelevant trophy. Adele won fair and square deal with it. 

they are acting lemonade like it was the Thriller of our generation....it can't even back up with sales, like 25 did.

Misguided Ghost
1 minute ago, Ronnie Redd said:

Goodbye. The Oscars are about as political as any award show...

That's not what I meant, I was talking about the fact that Oscars does not resemble a typical MTV award show that's made to please the TV crowd. When you watch Oscars you know it's about movies and actors nominated each year. 

Adele is not to be blamed for her win and the fact she even called BS to what happened was beautiful. She was so gracious and dedicating her moment to Beyoncé was the perfect way to hit back at the voters. I'm just glad she won over Bey because had it been anyone else I'd still be fuming, I'm pretty content now.