Red's Best of 2017 (Top 40 Albums 40-36, Page 4)

Red

Black Beatles is excellent :dies: I hope they can make another good song soon lol.

I think I really did want to like the latest Foals album too, but it's just... idk, their earlier albums really do it for me, but this is just too normal.

tumblr_inline_mnzi1b8bxx1qz4rgp.gif

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Red

• Topmaster 2

• Dom

• Tom Vercetti

17/25

Rotting In Vain + Good Grief + Water Under The Bridge + The Devil's Bleeding Crown + Take Me + Bury It + When We Were Young :worship:

Adele x2, Life Itself, Bury It, Heartlines, False Alarm are all great :clap3: I totally forgot about Band of Horses :dies: 

Korn & Coheed :D 

21 hours ago, prézli said:

Black Beatles? Dude. I'm waiting for GEMS since it was under top 75. :cupid:

I said it would be higher if I re-did the top 100. It probably WOULD have been top 75. :foot:

21 hours ago, Remmy said:

Heartlines :heart2: Just got into Broods this year! Conscious is amazing, but this isn't near my top 5 from it.

Let's see if the Broods song later in this top 100 is in your top 5. :beatfreak:

19 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

Just gonna pick my favorite three from this selection which would be Life Itself, Black Beatles, & false alarm. Quality choices. 

How about the fourth favorite? :eli:

17 hours ago, TRF. said:

Black Beatles is excellent :dies: I hope they can make another good song soon lol.

I think I really did want to like the latest Foals album too, but it's just... idk, their earlier albums really do it for me, but this is just too normal.

tumblr_inline_mnzi1b8bxx1qz4rgp.gif

I'm not counting on Rae Sremmurd being that good again, especially not after "Swang". The one artist I would have bet on less to release a good song was Charlie Puth...and by god, he released a good song in 2017, too! WHAT IS HAPPENING?

16 hours ago, Lazuli said:

I totally forgot about Band of Horses :dies: 

I used to be just like you, honestly, and forget about them all the time...which is odd, because they've made two of my favorite songs of the last, what, eleven years or so? ("Laredo" and "The Funeral", for the record)

I will get around to posting 75-51 shortly, but I just wanted to thank those of you who have already replied. You guys are a big part of the reason why I came back for this Best Of. :celestial:

4 hours ago, bluth said:

what's with the black beatles dragging in here??? redbone is great too. 

No dragging from me. Dragging Rae Sremmurd, on the other hand... :eli:

NDFHJ8M.png

dRx9l1Y.png

75-51

Ellie Goulding - Something in the Way You Move

Almost all of Delirium has not stuck with me, but "Something in the Way You Move" is one of the few exceptions. That chorus was in my head throughout 2017, whether I wanted it to be or not. I fear that Ellie's next album will not sound like this song, but if it does, I'll probably wind up liking it on the same level as Ellie's earlier albums. I mean, someone can hope, right?

Disturbed - The Sound of Silence

I'm still kind of baffled that this became such a big hit for Disturbed. A rock radio hit, I expected, and it was...but a crossover hit? That surprised me, but sales helped propel their "The Sound of Silence" cover to minor hit status. Had this been released back when rock songs would have charted in the top ten, I think "The Sound of Silence" would have reached the top ten, and it would have been just as surprising as this even charting on the Hot 100 was last year. Different times just warrant different expectations.

Lacey Sturm - Impossible

As someone who was a fan of Flyleaf when Lacey Sturm was the lead singer, I doubt this will surprise anyone who was around at the time that one of her solo singles made one of my Top 100s. "Impossible" is basically a Flyleaf song, anyway, and it had me feeling nostalgic for an era that, as of this year, is now a decade old. Is this one of the greatest songs ever made? Is it even on the level of Flyleaf's best? Not really, but it's well-made, and Lacey remains quite the presence on vocals.

The 1975 - Somebody Else

As with "Redbone" earlier, I'm going to avoid talking about "Somebody Else" here, as it will be on this year's list, and I don't want to repeat myself too often. I will say this, though: This song is not going to be this low on the 2017 Top 100. Not even close.

Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage

This song also made the 2017 list, so we'll be talking about "The Stage" there, too. I will also offer up a hint about its 2017 place: It pulled a "I Bet My Life".

Volbeat - Seal the Deal

Oh, right, I charted TWO Volbeat songs last year. Well then. And as I go back to listen to "Seal the Deal"...yeah, I can see why I thought it was better than "The Devil's Bleeding Crown", even if I didn't remember it like I did the previous song. "Seal the Deal" has some pretty kickass guitars and Michael Paulsen...well, being Michael Paulsen. This is probably the best song on Seal the Deal and Let's Boogie, now that I think about it. Now, watch me listen to "The Bliss" and watch as I proclaim THAT to be "the best song". I'm so easy to sway...

AFI - White Offerings

I thought that BOTH AFI songs that were released as singles late last year would have a shot of making the 2017 Top 100...and that did not happen. "White Offerings" was the one that really didn't hold up for me. "White Offerings" just sounds like better, older AFI songs, and it's pretty easy to forget, to be honest. Their other single...that actually made a push for the 2017 Top 100, but we'll talk about that when we get to that song...checks the 2016 Top 100 again...pretty soon.

KONGOS - Take It From Me

"Come With Me Now" or "I'm Only Joking", this song is not, but "Take It From Me" still has a tight groove and has the Kongos brothers continuing to make strong, solid music. I've completely forgotten about every other song from this era for KONGOS, though, and that would not have happened with their first album, not even close. I even vividly remember the mid-tempo "I Want to Know", but I barely remember the rest of Egomaniac. Oh well, at least I remembered this one, right?

Bruno Mars - 24K Magic

Here's a song that I actually thought about including in my Top 100 for 2017, only to realize that almost all of the listens for this song were in 2016, and it didn't really cross over to 2017, despite it being a bigger hit this year. "24K Magic" is basically the diet "Uptown Funk". It's still a lot of fun, but there's no universe where it can hope to stand up to the mighty behemoth that is "Uptown Funk". That's okay, though, because at least it confirmed that Bruno was going to carry over the "Uptown Funk" momentum into his next album.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Go Robot

And speaking of songs I considered placing in my 2017 Top 100, how ya doin', "Go Robot"? I would actually say that I was into "Go Robot" more this year than I was last year, so why did I wind up not including it in my 2017 Top 100?...I don't know, honestly. I just didn't. :eli: "Go Robot" is still one of the highlights of The Getaway, though an even better song from that album DID make the 2017 Top 100...

Metallica - Atlas, Rise!

Another song that I considered for the 2017 Top 100, and one that I actually pegged to have a chance to make that Top 100...but not even Metallica was able to push "Atlas, Rise!" into the Top 100. Are they in the Top 100? Yes, but it's with a song that they just recently released as a single. "Atlas, Rise!", obviously, does not fit that criteria. At this point, I wouldn't even say that this song is in the upper half of songs on Hardwired...to Self-Destruct. It's a good song, but other songs on the album are superior, including the Metallica song that made the 2017 Top 100.

Frank Turner - The Next Storm

#64 in 2015...#64 in 2016. If I ranked it in the Top 100 for 2017, it would probably be #64 there, too. Something about the number 64 and "The Next Storm" just seem to be simpatico. But anyway, "The Next Storm" remains a wonderful little song from Frank Turner, but it actually didn't hold up with me in the way that I thought it would in 2016, and it certainly hasn't held up all that well in 2017. Would it still make this list if I re-did it? Probably, but, at this point, I consider this to be a 2015 song more than a 2016 song.

Childish Gambino - Me and Your Mama

Oh look, another song that made the 2017 list, and another song that will not be this low. I'm turning into a bit of a broken record here.

Kaleo - No Good

I'm one of the rock fans that actually prefers Kaleo's biggest hit, but there's also no denying that "No Good" is a lot of fun, too. This is one of those songs where I struggle to find the words to say about it beyond just saying, "It grooves, it's fun, and it rules." It's a really fun and solid rock song that does exactly what it sets out to do. Sometimes, that's all you can ask for.

Billy Talent - Afraid of Heights

Billy Talent just keeps finding ways to appear in my Top 100 Singles lists, even if their albums don't follow suit. "Afraid of Heights" is yet another solid song from these guys, and it continues a streak of solid first singles for them. I know that I can count on Billy Talent to bring the goods on the first single, at least. They were another band that I considered for the 2017 Top 100 as well, but they didn't quite make it...though they got closer than at least a couple of the bands I've already talked about.

Atlas Genius - Stockholm

Let's get this out of the way first: "Stockholm" is no "Molecules". I love both songs, but "Molecules" remains one of my favorite singles of 2015. "Stockholm" is really good, but it can't hope to match up against "Molecules". Standing on its own two feet, though, "Stockholm" is a solid followup. This year, Atlas Genius released a new single, and...I don't really care for it all that much, sadly. At least we had this era.

The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk - Starboy

Is it bad that I probably would have ranked "False Alarm" above "Starboy" now? I mean, it's obvious that I would say that, given that I said that "False Alarm" is now my second-favorite song on Starboy, and this song also isn't my favorite...but I certainly would not have said that last year, based on the ranking for "Starboy" here. Don't get me wrong, I really like "Starboy" still. It's just not one of my absolute favorites from Starboy anymore.

AFI - Snow Cats

Here's the AFI song that I considered including in the 2017 Top 100. Does "Snow Cats" sound a lot like "Silver and Cold"? Absolutely. But if you're going to pick an AFI song to sound a lot like, why WOULDN'T you want to sound like "Silver and Cold"? Then again, "White Offerings" sounds like a better AFI song, but that one bothers me more because it sounds a little too much like "The Leaving Song, Pt. II". It's basically Muse's "Mercy" sounding like "Starlight" all over again. "Snow Cats" does just enough, on the other hand, to not quite sound like "Silver and Cold", so it gets more of a pass from me.

Disturbed - Open Your Eyes

Um...I kind of liked every Disturbed single from their latest album, Immortalized, more than I did the big hit. I even like "The Vengeful One" a little more than "The Sound of Silence", but I absolutely like "The Light" and this song, "Open Your Eyes", more. Whereas I like "The Light" more because it's genuinely a beautiful song, I like "Open Your Eyes" more, because...well, because it just kicks ass. It's a little "Disturbed by the numbers", but I LOVE "Disturbed by the numbers". "Disturbed by the numbers" is a surprising go-to for me when I want to rock out, and "Open Your Eyes" fits the "rock out" criteria juuust fine.

Silversun Pickups - Latchkey Kids

This is another song that will appear on the 2017 Top 100, so I'm not going to talk about it here. Like "Somebody Else" and "Me and Your Mama", "Latchkey Kids" will not nearly be this low on the 2017 list. I'm just full of spoiler talk in this top 100, aren't I? :foot:

Foo Fighters - Saint Cecilia

The Saint Cecilia EP was a nice little release to have before the Foos released an album proper this year, and the title track from said EP is the easy highlight. Had it been on Concrete and Gold, it probably would have been my second favorite song on the album. That's kind of a damning indictment of the album itself (we'll talk about that more when we get to the albums list), but it's also a testament to how much I still like "Saint Cecilia". It's so up the Foos' wheelhouse that it might as well have a permanent place on a mantle in that very wheelhouse.

Highly Suspect - Bloodfeather

In "Bloodfeather", we have a song from 2015 that actually gasp IMPROVED on its 2015 performance! Imagine that! Don't worry, there's more coming. What I said about this song in 2015 still rings true today: These guys were born in a desert and were given instruments by vultures, dropped down onto them while their mothers were giving birth to them. This song still rules, and there's not really a lot to add to it.

Dropkick Murphys - Blood

I'm kind of amazed that this was one of the highest songs on this list that I thought might cross over into 2017, because "Blood" is a song that has not held up with me at all. I still like it, sure, but Dropkick Murphys are capable of much better. In fact, I'm wondering why it was even this high at the end of 2016. Man, I must have REALLY been into the song at the time. That did not last long.

Tegan and Sara - Stop Desire

TC's twins returned, and they shed all doubt about what direction they are going down from here on. "Stop Desire" isn't my favorite single from Tegan and Sara off of Love You to Death, but it certainly tries to be. "Stop Desire" is a very catchy pop song, and, as I mentioned when I talked about Love You to Death, Tegan and Sara just completely dove into the pop mentality, embraced it, and put their best foot forward. "Stop Desire" is a prime example of how much they embraced pop.

Norma Jean - Everybody Talking Over Everyone Else

And here's another song that we'll be talking about later. And, like some of the other songs that we'll be talking about later, this particular song will not be this low on the 2017 list.

Another set done and dusted! We might be able to get this finished by Friday night, which would really be helpful in getting me focused on the other lists, so here's to hoping we pull it off. 50-26 will be posted...let's say tomorrow, though no guarantees. That set will feature at least one song that carried over from 2015, a couple of bands and artists that just showed up in the set above, the first appearance of a couple of artists with songs in the top 25, and a confession about one of my favorite albums of last year that has me questioning so many things. See you guys...again, I'm hoping for tomorrow. :beatfreak:

Starboy :gaycat2: It's never been one of my favorites from the album. I'd probably put it at #6 or #7.
24K Magic :fish1:"24K Magic" is basically the diet "Uptown Funk" :laugh: Love both but this is kinda accurate
Something In the Way You Move :jamming: But the Delirium slander has to STOP! Everyone always bashes ha

The Deichmann commercial made me hate that Ellie song.

Foo Fighters are GODS. The EP was better than the actual album imo. Wondering if there will be some Weezer. I find 1975 overrated everywhere. And I always like some Red Hot Chili Peppers (not in my mouth, tho ddddddd)

2 hours ago, Red said:

How about the fourth favorite? :eli:

Redbone :devil:

OT: Oh yes, Starboy, Somebody Else, excellent pop songs. Metallica got a slight groove back last year. 

19/25

The Sound Of Silence + Open Your Eyes + 24K Magic + Go Robot + Seal The Deal + Atlas, Rise! + Saint Cecilia + Bloodfeather + No Good + The Stage + Somebody Else + Something In The Way You Move :party:

24k, TSOS, Somebody Else :alexz:

Stop Desire is good but not near as great as Closer:devil:

Impossible, 24K Magic, Bloodfeather, and Everybody Talking Over Everyone Else

OVfGax4.gif

Starboy was cute. Can't say I'm a fan of anything else. Can't stand 24K Magic! :sick: 

YAS Norma Jean :alexz: 

Volbeat, Highly Suspect, Disturbed, Silversun Pickups :jonny2: 

SITWYM was an immediate standout :clap3: 

Somebody Else was my #1 last year :'( 

24K Magic is one of my least favourite from Bruno 

Stop Desire is a bop! 

Amazing list! Makes me wanna re-listen Korn songs, which I haven't done since high school graduation 5 years ago!

Go Robot, False Alarm :beatfreak:

How you doin? :alexz3:

Lol as I was reading your list I was like this song is so 2016, and this one too, and this one aswell...but now I see you're posting the 2016 list first :dies:

The Sound of Silence and Take It From Me are both great songs. The former has actually stuck with me for a while, even after its peak.

Somebody Else is just amazing and im glad its gonna be higher this year!! (i believer it was #4 on mine last year)

Starboy, 24k Magic :sats:

Well, of course "Something in The way you move" was stuck in your head, that song sticks like glue!

Starboy and Somebody Else became two of my favourite songs ever, ngl :jonny:

SITWYM and 24K are also great.

Come on, you're halfway there!

I had no idea Metallica had released new material in 2016.

starboy, 24k magic are both great, but aren't they fro 2016 ,wottice sis.?

you here making me feel younger now.

Ellie's song was cute, deichman queen.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.