shelven's Best Of 2017 | FINALE: TV Show #1 + Songs #5-#1!!!

shelven

Bad at Love :smiley: Dusk Till Dawn :heart2: Hard Times :worship2: Hayley and Co. snapped on everything this year. But yeah, my first listen was also a little mixed. I was immediately into it after play #2 though.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shelven

• Navyofbadgals

• Legend E

• Staryu

I like Hard Times :heart2: 

All Night was dissappointing but I blame that talentless rat Steve Aoki

thug.gif

Bad At Love + Hard Times :worship:

• ATRL Moderator

Paramore helped us all through the depressing 2017 

luv this update :heart2: like them all, especially Bad At Flopping and All Night!

Lauren voice is just something else, AN would have been crap if sung by someone else tbh

Wolves + Hard Times. :clap3:

All Night made it this far. :eek: 

shelven's Top 5 TV Shows of 2017

Related image

#4: "Orange Is The New Black"

Season 5

Last Year: #1 (-3)

Season 4 of "Orange Is The New Black" was and still is one of my favourite seasons of television that I've ever watched. For that reason, I went into Season 5 with excitement, but also with subdued expectations since I knew it would be extremely unlikely that the show would be able to perfectly replicate the magic of Season 4 in the following year. By the time I finished Season 5, my view of the season was very similar to the expectation I had going in - it was definitely less perfect and polished than Season 4, but it was nonetheless still a strong season of a very strong show. For Season 5, "Orange Is The New Black" made the decision to stray from its typical structure by making the entire season take place over the course of three days. The result of this big change to the show's format was that it allowed for some great moments and exciting new situations, but also led to a few problems. I found the first few episodes of the season to be fantastic, as the show dove straight into exciting plot developments instead of starting off slowly like other seasons have, and it did a great job at showing new sides to characters we've already learned so much about by showing how they behave in these new, unfamiliar circumstances. I also found the end of the season to be phenomenal, with Season 5's finale being one of my favourite season finales that the show has done so far. The main reason why OITNB drops from its previous #1 spot is because of the middle of the season. I found that plot and interesting character work both stalled as the season got to its halfway point, and as the second half began, a very trope-filled and melodramatic plot was introduced that I felt took away from the show's usual strength of being realistic and naturally dramatic without having to rely on soapiness. But despite the bumpiness that the season faced in the middle, when I look back at the entire season as a whole, I still found it very enjoyable, and while I'm not sure I would want the show to play around with new narrative formats every single season, the experimental nature of Season 5 allowed the show to stay fresh and interesting.

All Night:heart2:a bit generic though,Look At Us Now>>>>

For me it’s Fetish>Wolves>It Ain’t Me>Bad Liar

Bad At Love is so amazing and in Halsey’s top 5 songs:smitten:

Really strong set actually :alexz:

City Of Stars :jonny: Such a beautiful song :cries: Sorry Not Sorry :alexz:

Wild Thoughts, Wolves and Dusk Till Dawn :celestial: 

Hard Times was an amazing lead single, too bad the album was awful :emofish:

Bad At Love should be higher :jonny: It grew on me a lot as well :heart2:

Wolves is decent, as is DTD.

Bad At Love :jamming:

shelven's Top 50 Singles of 2017

#30: "Don't Leave"

Snakehips & MØ

This song mostly seemed to fly under the radar at the beginning of the year, but I really wish it had been bigger. Like almost every EDM song she features on, MØ sounds fantastic on this track, with her unique tone naturally exuding emotion and authenticity. Snakehips does a great job on the production as well, creating an instrumental that perfectly balances a dark feel with glimmers of hope and positive desire. It's likely that this song underperformed simply because it was released when the EDM trend was already dying off, but I would have been very surprised if it didn't smash a few years earlier, because I find it just as great if not better than many of the defining EDM tracks of the last few years.

#29: "Worst In Me"

Julia Michaels

Julia Michaels was one of 2017's big surprises for me - when she announced she was releasing her own solo music, I barely even noticed, and even after I was extremely impressed with "Issues", I suspected that would be a flash in the pan for her. So I was very pleasantly surprised when I ended up enjoying her entire "Nervous System" EP, and "Worst In Me" is definitely a highlight on the EP. There's no other way to describe this song other than the fact that it's an extremely polished and satisfying pop song - Julia's voice is silky and smooth, the instrumental is rich and full, and it manages to convey emotion and set a mood without being too overdramatic. Most importantly, it was successful at convincing me that Julia wouldn't just be "that songwriter who released Issues", but instead have her own distinct personality and voice that has made me excited for her future solo releases.

#28: "Audition (The Fools Who Dream)"

Emma Stone

When "City Of Stars" appeared on my list, I mentioned that it was a perfect representation of the "La La La" soundtrack as a whole. And while it may be a good poster child for the movie and soundtrack, "Audition" is undoubtedly the emotional and musical high point of the movie for me. Emma exudes so much genuine emotion in this song that it's almost impossible for anyone to argue that she wasn't deserving of her Oscar win, and despite not being a professional singer, she actually has some pretty great vocal moments throughout the song as well. She's also accompanied by an instrumental that is simply breathtaking, particularly in its second half when the orchestra reaches a climax. Because this song is so closely tied to the characters and events in the film, it admittedly feels more like a musical movie moment as opposed to a standalone song (which is partially why it's not higher up on this list), but it's a damn good one.

#27: "Let You Down"

NF

It seems more and more likely that this song is going to be one of the first hits of 2018, and it certainly deserves to be. While I'm far from a fan of rap music (and often only like rap songs for their instrumentals or hooks), I actually really appreciate and enjoy the rap portions of this song. NF's fast-paced delivery is exciting to listen to, but when coupled with the song's actual lyrics, it's also quite powerful and emotional. The song's chorus is relatively minimalistic, but that works extremely well in this particular case, as it allows the song to place more emphasis on its lyrical content while still providing a catchy hook that gives the song ample replay value.

#26: "Thunder"

Imagine Dragons

After Imagine Dragons's previous album "Smoke + Mirrors" failed to grab my attention whatsoever, I was really pleasantly surprised with the successful comeback that they created for themselves with "Evolve". Although "Thunder" is my least favourite of that album's singles so far (spoiler alert for future entries on this list), it's still a strong and really enjoyable song. It manages to simultaneously feel different from Imagine Dragons's other singles while still staying true to their overall sound, which is something a lot of bands struggle to do in their attempts to experiment. Despite being slightly repetitive, the song's chorus is undeniably catchy, with the pitch-corrected hook getting stuck in my head nonstop. The verses are also interesting and enjoyable, reminiscent of the style Lorde popularized with "Royals" while once again still feeling authentic to Imagine Dragons.

2/5

Thunder :party:

Thunder :gaycat4: Audition (The Fools Who Dream) :smitten: | "It admittedly feels more like a musical movie moment as opposed to

a standalone song" I feel the same way, and it's actually the reason why I didn't put it on my Best Soundtrack Songs list :gaycat3:

Yas Don't Leave is great :worship: 

YAS AUDITION YAS :worship2::worship2::worship2: The best song from LLL :clap3: 

Not a fan of "Thunder" but I truly love Lauren's song and I loved what you said about it! I love her tone too!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.