shelven's Best Of 2017 | FINALE: TV Show #1 + Songs #5-#1!!!

shelven

14 hours ago, shelven said:

The next update will probably be pretty late (like 11-11:30PM EST) but it should still be happening today!

liar

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shelven

• Navyofbadgals

• Legend E

• Staryu

4 hours ago, Navyofbadgals said:

liar

I already dragged myself on the bottom of last page :biblio: 

Anyways, I'll do the Singles update now and then the TV update later this evening.

shelven's Top 50 Singles of 2017

#45: "I Miss You"

Clean Bandit feat. Julia Michaels

Ugh, if it wasn't for the underwhelming and boring chorus, this song would be SO much higher up on my list. As with most of their stellar singles discography, Clean Bandit's production takes a soothing, minimalist approach on this song, creating an instrumental that's relaxing, full, and even a bit emotional in its own way. Pairing up with Julia Michaels was a great choice, as she sounds fantastic on this song, with her sultry and raw vocals matching well with the production and overall feel of the song. I really wish the chorus was a bit more powerful to make this a truly amazing song, but it still has many strong points nonetheless.

#44: "Perfect Places"

Lorde

Okay, so let me get the bad out of the way first - I have always found this song to be INCREDIBLY overrated, and it boggles my mind how so many people think that this is one of the highlights of "Melodrama". Lorde has always released such interesting and unique music, and "Perfect Places" just feels bland and boring in comparison. But that being said, even a bland song by Lorde is better than what a lot of her peers can come up with, so it definitely couldn't miss out on my Top 50. As always, Lorde's lyricism on this track is top-notch, and the song's chorus - easily the highlight of the song for me - feels anthemic, uplifting and an emotionally fitting way to end off the incredible album to which it belongs.

#43: "Glorious"

Macklemore feat. Skylar Grey

After Macklemore & Ryan Lewis's previous album failed to impress me and then Ryan left the duo, I had honestly written off Macklemore at that point. But with "Glorious", Macklemore managed to convince me that he might still have some of that magic from "The Heist" left, and that he can use it even without Ryan by his side. "Glorious" is far from innovative and isn't particularly memorable, but it's an uplifting and exciting song that immediately takes me back to "Can't Hold Us". Macklemore's rap is punchy and full of personality, and Skylar's chorus matches the rest of the song well and gives it a cohesive overall feel.

#42: "Love So Soft"

Kelly Clarkson

"Love So Soft" is definitely not the type of song that I thought Kelly would lead her next album with, but I am SO glad that she did. On this track, Kelly goes back to the sassy, fierce sound that started off her career with "Miss Independent", and despite the huge time gap between those two songs, the sound still feels natural and fitting for Kelly. The chorus is ridiculously catchy, and Kelly manages to showcase her great vocals in the song's second half while still maintaining the song's fun and upbeat attitude. And for those who know me well, having a horn-filled instrumental always gets a song points in my book.

#41: "Por Favor [Spanglish Version]"

Fifth Harmony & Pitbull

I'm not too stubborn to admit that this is a song that I probably wouldn't have even given a second listen to if it wasn't for Fifth Harmony, but despite the song being a pretty standard Pitbull pop song, the girls sound great on it. I love the trade-off between English and Spanish in the song's Spanglish version, and each 5H girl sounds smooth and sexy in the chorus and pre-chorus. And as far as Pitbull songs go, this is definitely one of the catchier and more enjoyable songs in his singles discography, with production that feels summery, fresh and not too overbearing like many of his recent English singles.

Guys My Age has pretty awful lyrics but the production is great :katie2:

Him & I making the list :party: Love So Soft and Perfect Places :eddie:

Love So Soft, Glorious, Perfect Places, I Miss You. :clap3:

Yeah, Miss You would've been a lot better with a stronger chorus.

Por Favor is such a cute bop, love Lauren's voice on it :clap3:

• ATRL Moderator

Um what is the Grammy nominated hit doing this low? :biblio: 

Perfect Place and Love So Soft :clap3:  

I Miss You makes me well up a bit :cries:

U r right Clean Bandit production is always so flawless and recognisable

I see what you mean about the chorus being underwhelming but at the same time, it maybe kinda works in context of the song, like I wouldn't expect anything explosive. The pre chorus gives me shivers tho

shelven's Top 5 TV Shows of 2017

Image result for better call saul season 3

#5: "Better Call Saul"

Season 3

Last Year: #2 (-3)

After struggling with a few pacing and character balance issues in its first season, "Better Call Saul" really came into its own in Season 2, with strong and compelling storylines coupled with improved character focus and development. After getting a first glance at the show's potential in Season 2, I was really hopeful that Season 3 would be able to match or exceed those strengths. And while I can't necessarily say that Season 3 exceeded Season 2, it definitely managed to match it, which is an impressive feat given Season 2's already high quality. In Season 3, "Better Call Saul" stuck to what was already working (its split storyline structure with Jimmy and Mike effectively acting as co-main characters, and its dedication to developing strong secondary characters like Kim and Chuck), and then introduced new elements on top of those existing ones to try to bring more excitement and new stakes. Undoubtedly the most noticeable and impactful new addition to Season 3 was bringing Gus from "Breaking Bad" into the "Better Call Saul" storyline - an addition that came with risks considering it could have made the show feel like it was trying too hard to keep the "Breaking Bad" fans invested. But the show managed to avoid this trap and instead made Gus's inclusion in the season a natural fit for the show, thanks to both the strength of the show's storytelling as well as Giancarlo Espacito's continued phenomenal acting. Had Season 3 of "Better Call Saul" aired last year, it probably would have been able to claim its same #2 spot, and it only fell a few spots this year because it faced stronger competition this year and didn't make any massive jumps in improvement to keep up. But it was nonetheless still a very well made season, and I hope Season 4 continues the show's trend of building on its strengths while taking risks with new elements.

3/5

Love So Soft + Perfect Places + Glorious :worship:

Singles #45-41:

Love So Soft :smiley: Perfect Places :worship2:

Why am I seeing PP get shaded in multiple threads now? :biblio: Keep that to YOURSELF!

The draggings for Perfect Places were undeserved :shakeno:

I Miss You and Love So Soft :clap3: 

Kelly’s Love So Soft performance at the AMA’s was so good

Edited by Chemical X.

Perfect Places is so brilliant :'(

I Miss You is amazing Julia did THAT

LSS is a step up from Kelly’s previous album:alexz:

Nnnn I agree with what you said about Por Favor,the song aged kinda badly too

Better Call Saul :clap3:My feelings are the exact same as yours. Equal to S2 which is still great

Loved Gus' introduction. Giancarlo Espacito didn't miss a beat when stepping back into his shoes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.