shelven's Best Of 2017 | FINALE: TV Show #1 + Songs #5-#1!!!

shelven

That ellie song was cute :)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shelven

• Navyofbadgals

• Legend E

• Staryu

What? A Harmonizer giving Little Mix attention? Please hand over your stan card.

Kidding. I really like that song as well!

shelven's Top 5 TV Shows of 2017

New Discovery

Image result for american crime story poster

"American Crime Story"

Season 1

Even though this show debuted back in early 2016 and swept the miniseries categories at the Emmys later that year, I only watched it early this year. In hindsight, I'm actually grateful I discovered this show so late, because I was so captivated by Season 1 that having to wait almost two full years for Season 2 would have been unbearable. The first season of "American Crime Story", detailing the murder charge and trial of OJ Simpson, is simply storytelling at its best. It turns a story of which everybody already knows the final outcome, and manages to make it dramatic, suspenseful and insightful. The show's choice not to provide their own opinion on the "did he or didn't he" question and instead just let the story play out so that the audience could decide for themselves was an excellent choice, as it allowed them to craft a compelling story and characters who were raw and sympathetic on both sides of the trial. But as great as the storytelling was, what really kept me hooked on this show was the phenomenal acting. While not every single actor in the large ensemble was a highlight, the ones who were highlights carried the show, as this story would not have been told nearly as effectively without Sarah Paulson, Courtney B. Vance and Sterling K. Brown's fascinating performances. So even though this show couldn't make my Top 5 because it didn't air any new episodes in 2017, if Season 2 manages to maintain the quality of the show's great first season, then I can definitely see it making it onto my 2018 list.

A great season of television. I'm going to miss Paulson, Vance and Brown :emofish:

I'm not expecting the Versace one to be as good but I'm still very excited. Only a few weeks left now! Édgar Ramírez & Penélope Cruz are def going to give great performances.

1 hour ago, Playa Playa said:

A great season of television. I'm going to miss Paulson, Vance and Brown :emofish:

I'm not expecting the Versace one to be as good but I'm still very excited. Only a few weeks left now! Édgar Ramírez & Penélope Cruz are def going to give great performances.

Same - It'll be hard to top OJ, and from the trailer it seems like it may be a bit more melodramatic, but I'm still hopeful they can pull off something good.

45 minutes ago, Legend E said:

Is this better than AHS?

I don't watch AHS so I wouldn't know :emofish: But if you like anthology shows, I would definitely give this a try!

50 minutes ago, Legend E said:

Is this better than AHS?

It’s way different than AHS tbh

AHS is more campy and fun, whilst ACS is more serious and doesn’t really have that Ryan Murphy feel to it

anyways good start shelven :heart2: 

Only No More Sad Songs deserved to make the list out of those :keir: Lemon and First Time are alright tho :flower:

shelven's Top 50 Singles of 2017

#50: "Guys My Age"

Hey Violet

This song is another example of a relatively straightforward pop song, but I immediately loved the dark tone and sound upon first listen. While there was never a specific period of time when I had this song on repeat, I often found myself coming back to it as an enjoyable change from everything else that was on pop radio. I'm not surprised that this didn't end up taking off in the US, but I wish it had been a bit bigger.

#49: "Silence"

Marshmello feat. Khalid

When Khalid first debuted, I really enjoyed his vocal style, but none of the songs he was releasing connected with me, so pairing him up with a notable EDM producer was the perfect solution for me. His voice sounds great on the track, and even though Marshmello's production isn't exactly new or groundbreaking, the fact that he's only seeing mainstream success now means that his specific sound and production style feels pretty fresh. Like with "Guys My Age", this isn't a song I ever played nonstop, but it's one that I really enjoy once in a while.

#48: "As If It's Your Last"

BLACKPINK

If someone had told me a year ago that a K-Pop song would make my Top 50, I would have never believed them. But here we are, and it seems like BLACKPINK has emerged as a big exception to my general apathy towards K-Pop. Although I had hoped that their sole 2017 release would have more of a urban lean like "Boombayah" and "Whistle", this is nonetheless a really fun song to listen to that never fails to put me in a good mood, and Lisa's great rap verse manages to elevate the song for me.

#47: "Selfish"

Future feat. Rihanna

Well between this and "Lemon", I guess this was the year of Rihanna making me enjoy songs I would have otherwise never enjoyed :laugh: While I'm really not a fan of Future's style or delivery, Rihanna sounds fantastic on this song, and thankfully she takes up a majority of the track. The minimalist and relaxing production of the song makes it easy to listen to multiple times, and I love getting to hear the more stripped back and tender side of Rihanna's voice.

#46: "Him & I"

G-Eazy & Halsey

This is the newest song to appear in my Top 50, and had it come out earlier in 2017 and had a chance to grow on me even more, it's very possible that it would have appeared much higher up on this list. G-Eazy's rap is smooth and easy to listen to, but the song's chorus easily steals the show. Halsey is mesmerizing and infectious in her vocal delivery, and the production on the chorus manages to be both catchy while creating a dark, alluring aura. 

Guys My Age is a bop but they did all that and more with Hoodie 

Him & I is one of the weaker songs G has released from his album. Sober & the titular track>>>

Silence sounded great on that first listen. Shelven, your touch with writing hasn't faded away. 

Him & I is pretty good too. Guys My Age being here :clap3:

I love Too Good at Goodbyes!
Not particularly into this set, I guess Silence is okay.

Him & I annoys me but I find myself wanting to listen to it again, its catchy but annoying I guess :cm:  Silence is good

1 hour ago, MusicLoverDude said:

Silence sounded great on that first listen. Shelven, your touch with writing hasn't faded away. 

Thank you :heart2: I'm glad there are at least some people who are reading the descriptions :laugh: 

Him & I made it. :eek:

I remember jammin' Guys My Age so hard on the radio tho. :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.