shelven's Best Of 2017 | FINALE: TV Show #1 + Songs #5-#1!!!

shelven

SHELVEN'S BEST OF 2017

qRjg60f.jpg

Officially turning my "lame banner that's really just a collage of pictures made in 5 minutes" into an annual tradition!

Welcome everyone to my second annual "Best Of" list on ATRL! After ignoring this event for many years, I finally decided to give it a try last year, and ended up having a lot of fun with it! Therefore, I've decided to do it again this year, and just like last year, I'm going to keep it relatively short and sweet, with one main list and one smaller bonus list.

MAIN LIST: shelven's Top 50 Singles of 2017

As the title of this list suggests, the main feature of my Best Of event will be highlighting my favourite singles of the year! As with last year, there are two main criteria for a song to be eligible for this list: it has to have been officially released as a single (although as with last year, there will be a few songs where I loosen the definition of "single" a bit), and the single must be reasonably associated with 2017. That could mean that the song first came out in 2017, only officially became a single in 2017, only peaked on the charts in 2017, or had a large part of its chart run happen in 2017. Because this is now my second year doing this, I am also adding a third criteria for eligibility: in the interest of keeping the list as fresh as possible, I will not repeat any songs from my 2016 list, so songs that already appeared in my 2016 list but went on to ultimately peak during 2017 will not be included.

BONUS LIST: shelven's Top 5 TV Shows of 2017

Also returning from last year is my second mini-list where I highlight my favourite TV shows/seasons of the year! Since this list is so small, entries will be revealed after every 10 songs are revealed from my main list. Like last year, I will picking my 5 favourite TV shows that aired new episodes during 2017, as well as highlighting one "New Discovery", which is a show that I only discovered this year but did not or could not make the official list.

Tentative Schedule

While I ended up being very successful in following the schedule I made for myself last year, I can't promise the same this year since I'll be on vacation beginning on the 21st with somewhat limited Internet access. So I will definitely still try to follow this schedule as much as I can, but more emphasis on *tentative* this time around.

Tues, Dec 12th: PREMIERE - TV Show "New Discovery" + Songs #50-#46

Thurs, Dec 14th: Songs #45-#41

Fri, Dec 15th: TV Show #5

Sun, Dec 17th: Songs #40-#36

Mon, Dec 18th: Songs #35-#31

Tues, Dec 19th: TV Show #4

Wed, Dec 20th: Songs #30-#26

Fri, Dec 22nd: Songs #25-#21

Sat, Dec 23rd: TV Show #3

Sun, Dec 24th: Songs #20-#16

Tue, Dec 26th: Songs #15-#11

Wed, Dec 27th: TV Show #2

Thurs, Dec 28th: Songs #10-#6

Sat, Dec 30th: FINALE - TV Show #1 + Songs #5-#1

Edited by shelven

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shelven

• Navyofbadgals

• Legend E

• Staryu

THE RESULTS

Top 50 Singles:

Honourable Mentions:

- Kygo & Ellie Goulding - "First Time"

- N.E.R.D. & Rihanna - "Lemon"

- Hailee Steinfeld - "Most Girls"

- Little Mix feat. Machine Gun Kelly - "No More Sad Songs"

- Sam Smith - "Too Good At Goodbyes"

50. Hey Violet - "Guys My Age"

49. Marshmello feat. Khalid - "Silence"

48. BLACKPINK - "As If It's Your Last"

47. Future feat. Rihanna - "Selfish"

46. G-Eazy & Halsey - "Him & I"

45. Clean Bandit feat. Julia Michaels - "I Miss You"

44. Lorde - "Perfect Places"

43. Macklemore feat. Skylar Grey - "Glorious"

42. Kelly Clarkson - "Love So Soft"

41. Fifth Harmony & Pitbull - "Por Favor [Spanglish Version]"

40. Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone - "City Of Stars"

39. RedOne, Daddy Yankee, French Montana & Dinah Jane - "Boom Boom"

38. Luis Fonsi feat. Daddy Yankee - "Despacito"

37. DJ Khaled feat. Rihanna & Bryson Tiller - "Wild Thoughts"

36. Demi Lovato - "Sorry Not Sorry"

35. Selena Gomez & Marshmello - "Wolves"

34. Paramore - "Hard Times"

33. Halsey - "Bad At Love"

32. ZAYN feat. Sia - "Dusk Till Dawn"

31. Steve Aoki & Lauren Jauregui - "All Night"

30. Snakehips & MØ - "Don't Leave"

29. Julia Michaels - "Worst In Me"

28. Emma Stone - "Auditions (The Fools Who Dream)"

27. NF - "Let You Down"

26. Imagine Dragons - "Thunder"

25. Macklemore feat. Kesha - "Good Old Days"

24. Starley - "Call On Me [Ryan Riback Remix]"

23. Marian Hill - "Down"

22. Sia - "Move Your Body"

21. Auli'i Cravalho - "How Far I'll Go"

20. Harry Styles - "Sign Of The Times"

19. Clean Bandit feat. Zara Larsson - "Symphony"

18. Halsey - "Now Or Never"

17. Fifth Harmony feat. Gucci Mane - "Down"

16. Major Lazer feat. Anitta & Pabllo Vittar - "Sua Cara"

15. Imagine Dragons - "Whatever It Takes"

14. Lady Gaga - "The Cure"

13. Lorde - "Green Light"

12. Fifth Harmony - "He Like That"

11. Tove Lo - "Disco Tits"

10. Lorde - "Homemade Dynamite"

9. Portugal. The Man - "Feel It Still"

8. Kesha - "Praying"

7. Sia - "Never Give Up"

6. Lana Del Rey - "Love"

5. Julia Michaels - "Issues"

4. Imagine Dragons - "Believer"

3. Dua Lipa - "New Rules"

2. Logic feat. Alessia Cara & Khalid - "1-800-273-8255"

1. Zedd & Alessia Cara - "Stay"

Top 5 TV Shows:

NEW DISCOVERY: "American Crime Story" (Season 1)

5. "Better Call Saul" (Season 3)

4. "Orange Is The New Black" (Season 5)

3. "Stranger Things" (Season 2)

2. "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" (Season 2B / 3A)

1. "The Handmaid's Tale" (Season 1)

Edited by shelven

Ok waiting on December 30th for the Drag Race and The Cure rihveal

Edited by PinkBox

shelven's Top 50 Singles of 2017

Honourable Mentions

Surprise! I originally wasn't going to do an Honourable Mentions list because when making my main list, I had compiled exactly 50 songs before I ranked them, so I didn't have any leftover songs. However, after adding a few songs to my list at the last minute, I was left with two or three songs that got bumped out the Top 50. At first I was just going to exclude them from my Best Of entirely, but I decided that I might as well showcase them since they came so close to making my main list. I added a few more songs that I had briefly considered including in my list so that I had 5 HMs in total, and here they are! (Note that these songs have not been ranked, and are simply in alphabetical order)

"First Time"

Kygo & Ellie Goulding

While this song was definitely a step up from "It Ain't Me" in my opinion and Ellie sounds great on it, this ultimately didn't make my list because it ended up having very limited replay value for me. The song is simply a very standard Kygo track, and while I've enjoyed a lot of Kygo's singles in the past, I've found myself becoming a bit bored of his sound at this point. So this is definitely a quality song and one that I enjoyed for two or three weeks, but it simply didn't make enough of an impact on me to make it onto my main list.

"Lemon"

N.E.R.D. & Rihanna

This song definitely gets points for being one of the most sonically interesting and unique mainstream releases this year. It's fun, surprisingly catchy despite its weirdness, and Rihanna is fantastic on her verse. That being said, the song begins to feel a bit repetitive after a while, and the other verses don't really match the charm and spark of Rihanna's for me. Maybe this would have made my Top 50 had it solely been a Rihanna track, but it still remains a enjoyable song to listen to once in a while, even if it's not the type of song I could listen to on repeat.

"Most Girls"

Hailee Steinfeld

This song is a very straightforward pop track with nothing in it to truly make it memorable or exciting... but sometimes songs like that work once in a while, and that's the case with "Most Girls". While female empowerment is far from a unique lyrical concept, I thought the song's lyrics had a cute twist (with its clever spin on the typical backhanded "you're not like most girls" compliment) and the production is simple yet enjoyable. It doesn't make my main list because I never really found myself motivated to actively listen to it, but I definitely liked it whenever I would hear it on the radio or in passing.

"No More Sad Songs"

Little Mix feat. Machine Gun Kelly

Despite their obvious talent as singers and performers, I've never been able to get into Little Mix because I always found their music to be a bit too immature and basic pop for my liking. However, "No More Sad Songs" is definitely an exception to that - it's mature, it feels current and its production is silky and polished. And to my great surprise, I actually found that adding Machine Gun Kelly to the track actually increased my liking for it. Like with "First Time", this song ultimately failed to make my list because it ended up not having too much replay value for me, but it definitely remains a highlight of Little Mix's singles discography in my opinion.

"Too Good At Goodbyes"

Sam Smith

Admittedly, this song may have fallen victim to my high expectations for it - I was expecting Sam Smith to return with a grand, powerhouse song, and so I was left underwhelmed by this comparatively tame and subdued song. It's a nice song and Sam's vocals sound great as usual, and while I like listening to it once in a while, I was never able to really get into it. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more had it been a second or third single, but as a lead single, I was left wanting a bit more.

The honorable mentions are super cute:clap3:

One or two  of them may have ended in my top 75:fan:

First Time and Most Girls being honorable mentions seem pretty deserved. 

IAM >>> FT :biblio:

Most Girls was cute corny bop, Starving and Let Me Go are better tho

I looove NMSS :jonny: and Coyote Ugly inspired video :jonny: whew

I don't like Sam and his music, but TGAG honestly is amazing

Yeh they all semi cute for like 2 listens but after that nope, glad they got booted :gaycat5:

Too Good at Goodbyes was good, but the album as a whole is better than the single...cant wait for the rest :duca:

4 hours ago, shelven said:

Not this being a colossal flop :chick3: 

Image result for it's what she deserves

Was not completely sold on Sam either, but it sounded nice last week in a store.

Hailee Steinfeld not making the Top 50.

Image result for it's what she deserves

U better stan Lemon, legend

Love these songs :heart2: I'm here for the TASTE 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.