ChapelHooker's Retrograde 2017 | Finshed

ChapelHooker

4UNwMQa.jpg

54. Laut & Luise is a german techno label that constantly puts out fantastic music and introduces new artists and Kerala Dust's first EP with them is no exception. A wonderfully balanced slow dance number with thumbing bass, bouncy melodies, a nasty groove and distorted vocals that will make you wanna dance.

sDt0gLk.jpg

53. To not mention Billie Eilish's age almost feels wrong when introducing her, since her tender (recent) 16 is almost nowhere to be seen in her music or aesthetic. There is a refreshing confidence in her biting take on modern pop music. This song, written from a perspective of a killer, is no exception. The minimal production lets her mature vocals shine and the chorus is infectious as hell.

b6GVg2O.jpg

52. It's no surprise that a project made up out of five incredibly talented songwriters presents a beautiful take on 80s inspired pop music and while nothing they released quite reaches the high of Wings Of Love, Hurts To Liv, a song about the departure of the living, is a tear-inducing ballad that manages to avoid cheesiness and instead punches right in the gut.

UKUcu3J.jpg

51. Sigrid seemed to pop out of nowhere with her debut single Don't Kill My Vibe, but it was not until Plot Twist that she proved herself as more than capable of writing a killer chorus that will get stuck in your head for quite a while. 

15e2r2B.jpg

50. Men I Trust have been putting out dreamy pop music for a while now but nothing really was as poppy as this before, a wonderful song to get lost to and just move around.

Edited by ChapelHooker

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChapelHooker

• theblackestday

• World Eater

• TheWayWeWere

Underdog & Bad Liar are my faves so far!

A bit shook at so many albums I'd expect in a listing being in your HM's!

25bgyyL.jpg

Yx6xkur.jpg

40. "Edgy pop" seems to be the new trend in electronic music, but very few artists actually seem to achieve to create some sort of mood with simple, immediate music. Where other pop artists seem to confine themselves to genre rules and expectations, Tove Lo seems like a free soul, creating simple, hard hitting, catchy pop music along the way. While it can sometimes drift into generic fields (Romantics), it manages to be a fresh album without added heaviness to achieve its effect of actually having something to say. Whereas on Lady Wood, Lo could sometimes come off as too "idgaf", she seems to acknowledge the effects of having such mindset in life and that it comes with its own burdens.

Highlights: Disco ****, shedontknowbutsheknows, Hey, You Got Drugs?

Duds: Romantics, Bad Days

FS4EJZq.jpg

39. Mount Kimbie seems to have found a new side of themselves while recording Love What Survives, a more organic side that was pushed into full effect. While some line-up changes (the fantastic Andrea Balency contributed and is on stage while James Blake has two show stopping appearances) may seem to be the reason, it becomes apparent after a few listens that it was not a sudden decisions but more of a natural progression. For them to make the most out of that and to explore it into its tiniest corner is exciting and results in their best material yet, a fascinating blend of electronic music, non-electronic music and non-electronic seeming music.

Highlights: Blue Train Lines, You Look Certain (I'm Not So Sure), Delta

Duds: SP12 Beat, Poison

RtLapUC.jpg

38. For a rock-based band to stay fresh and interesting and not fall into sameness can be a difficult task. Grizzly Bear decided to not only incorporate more electronic elements into their new album Painted Ruins, but also reapproach their songwriting. Instead of going further into the looseness hinted at on Shields, the production seems tighter and more urgent, a certain uneasiness constantly looming over the songs. Just when it feels like a melody feels familiar or trustworthy, they push it into a direction that makes it feel more uncertain, perhaps a reflection of the states of minds the band is in right now. But when "Aquarian" slips into a guitar solo that holds both beauty and urgency, it becomes apparent that they have done their job.

Highlights: Mourning Sound, Three Rings, Neighbors

Duds: Losing All Sense

CDp8D5Z.jpg

37. Female sexuality seems to be a much debated topic in the current climate, with many people still refusing to see that no person has to be one thing. On her full length debut, Sevda Alizadeh seems to embrace this double-standard. She is both hypersexual bionic woman and broken-down, make-up free. While at first glance it can seem like she is only fulfilling these roles, she instead flips them over to cleverly play on the expectations set on women today. She never let's slip though, only allowing these personas to take over whatever she has to say.  The albums sound is a hybrid of Homogenic-era Björk, Massive Attack and modern trap music, without ever feeling too forced or uninspired. The length can sometimes be a bit too much, but at the end of the day, Ison never feels like it overwelcomes it stay (except for the overlong closer Angel)

Highlights: Shahmaran, Bluecid, Human

Duds: Angel, Scarlette

di5Z7RY.jpg

36. Four Tet has basically invented his own niche audience, part IDM, experimental electronic music, part four on four dancefloor bangers. On his newest, however, he seems to have let go of servicing both audiences (something that plagued his last two long players) and instead goes back to a more flowy, relaxed atmosphere. There is no more forced experimentation, just a more simple electronic record that has room to breathe and be cohesive. 

Highlights: Planet, Daughter, SW9 9SL

Duds: Falls 2, 10 Midi

Edited by ChapelHooker

it took me some time to finally appreciate the new grizzly bear album tbqh. The songs four cypresses and wasted acres are beautiful tho. Daniel rossen did THAT.

Four tet :clap3:

Hurts to Liv is sooo good :jonny: honestly my favorite from what they released, still waiting for ****ing album tho :rip:

Blue Lips wasn't standout for me like QOTC and LW, but it's still pretty solid pop work

Spoiler
14 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Underdog & Bad Liar are my faves so far!

bops only :alexz:

11 hours ago, theblackestday said:

ISON and New Energy :worship: Love what you said about them

didn't know you enjoyed ISON :eek: New Energy is his best stuff since TILIY, and thanks. I tried to sound smart :-*

8 hours ago, JEWRJEWR said:

it took me some time to finally appreciate the new grizzly bear album tbqh. The songs four cypresses and wasted acres are beautiful tho. Daniel rossen did THAT.

Four tet :clap3:

i actually loved it upon first listen, I had a harder time with Shields than this and I like it better as well

6 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Hurts to Liv is sooo good :jonny: honestly my favorite from what they released, still waiting for ****ing album tho :rip:

Blue Lips wasn't standout for me like QOTC and LW, but it's still pretty solid pop work

don't get your hopes up, it might've been their last song. WOL is their masterpiece tho

It was my least fave Tove Lo album at first but it grew on me immensely, its up there with LW tbh, maybe even better lyrically. Nothing tops DTAI tho

i knew this would lowkey flop but imma keep going regardless lmao

UvojApX.jpg

49. Lizzy Plapinger is one half of Ms Mr and founder of Neon Gold Records, a label that brought many promising pop artists to our attention. Her second solo single, Tremble is a wonderful blend of rock influenced pop, a huge chorus and hard hitting vocals.

xVkDdHx.jpg

48. Feathered Sun is a project made up of Bummeltechno veterans Nu, jO.K.e, Raz Ohara, Christopher Schwarzwälder, Iannis Ritter and Acid Pauli that occasionally come together to produce songs merging their styles, resulting in dreamy, dancy atmospheres and fantastic build ups. Their second EP How Strange is an exploration of where dance music and pop music meet.

16FFVy3.jpg

47. Released on the fifth year anniversary of their fantastic debut Shrines, Asido is also Purity Ring's best song since that release, blending together their unique sound presented on it with the more pop music approach of Another Eternity. The result is a beautiful piece of dreamy, electronic pop.

KnkuKZm.jpg

46. Ponyboy is SOPHIE's most hard hitting single since, well, HARD. A nasty, sexually charged dom top anthem with whipping production that shows us that she hasn't lost her magical touch on pop music and subverting genres.

T3j73CN.jpg

45. Go To Hell is possibly the nicest **** you to the male dominated production industry since World Princess part II, a sugary sweet dismission to doubters of anyone's talent. Caroline Polachek and Lorely wrote this together, resulting in clever lyrics that never feel pretentious.

NdwHOXl.jpg

44. Although Praying is an obvious, emotional highlight on Kesha's fantastic return, it's Learn To Let Go that perfectly captures the essence of the album, with Kesha proving herself as more than capable of writing choruses that reach sky high and using her struggles to deliver an universal message.

Edited by ChapelHooker

gashdgfhjfs so many HMs :jonny: Billie and Allie are cute but not outstanding or anything :flower:

Bad Liar is a bop and Underdog is pretty good too :jamming: Bellyache :clap3: still can't believe she's so young :skull:

Blue Lips :alexz: should been higher tho :cm: and Bad Days + Romantics are amazing :cm:

Good write-up for Blue Lips, and we have very similar tastes in specific tracks (Romantics is so baaaad).

LPX! :clap3: Tremble wasn't my fave of hers this year but I still love it and I'm excited to see what a full LPX record will entail (we do have that EP next month at least).

I forgot that Go to Hell was co-written by Caroline :jonny: It's no Standard but I'll still take it. Also love Hurts to Liv and Asido and Love What Survives from the album list :heart2:

Asido was a nice standalone.

Ngl, I forgot about the Empress track. Will await a new album.

Ponyboy bangs. 

m6t4p7u.jpg

43. Although Jonna Lee has yet to top her work (musically and visually) from kin, GONE comes pretty close, using one of the projects earliest beats and expanding it to create a nice piece of synthy pop with a grandiose chorus. 

mRoNwGU.jpg

42. Declan McKenna perfectly fits the category "Too Young To Be This Talented", and the opener of his debut is a fantastic example of that. The way it starts as a beautiful, laid back rock influenced song and builds into this giant, roaring track is so much fun every damn time.

Jie4ll3.jpg

41. Xinobi has been releasing dancefloor friendly music for a long time, but Far Away Place might be his most beautiful to date. A wonderful song about escapism with brooding, lowkey production.

Ytkr6WA.jpg

40. Klangstof showed a lot of potential on their debut record last year, but truly found their sound on this years Everest EP, seamlessly merging both their electronic and acoustic influences into a nice sound that is best represented on its title track.

ShHs9zk.jpg

39. TONGUE is the project of Adult Jazz member Tim Slater in collaboration with Glad Hand, Aeva and GBop Orchestra and explores horn music in an electronic context. Their debut release How Nice It Is is a minimal and striking, part scary, part beautiful collection of songs and lead Hang is the highlight, a moody song that never quite lets go.

Edited by ChapelHooker

"Learn to Let Go" is so uplifting, happy and heartening to hear. For so long I just couldn't even fathom how Kesha could make a comeback. I do hate to think about it too much though because the album does very much give the impression that she is free, when in fact she is not, and how this sickly kinda benefits Kesha cause people are more open to supporting her if they believe they are supporting a free woman, when really he is still collecting his cheque off her coattails. It's despicable - but she's doing the best she can, and clearly is doing her darndest to move on with her life.

I love that Macklemore seems to be a great friend of hers, and I'm excited for their tour together. I think his energy will really help improve her confidence even moreso. Time to hit that "Praying" note live queen!

Spoiler
On 24.12.2017 at 4:17 PM, TheWayWeWere said:

Ponyboy :clap3:

LTLG praise :jonny: it's so good, especially with vid :jonny:

the vid is sooo cute and the chrous snatches me every time, she really came back all the way :jonny:

On 24.12.2017 at 9:59 PM, K$Ellie said:

Bad Liar is a bop and Underdog is pretty good too :jamming: Bellyache :clap3: still can't believe she's so young :skull:

Blue Lips :alexz: should been higher tho :cm: and Bad Days + Romantics are amazing :cm:

stan for Sel's best song and Banks' like sixth or seventh best song :fan:

Billie's age is kinda staggering considering the amount of potential she is showing. Bellyache is soo addicting.

And nah, BL would've been better without them tbh, Romantics especially.

On 24.12.2017 at 10:51 PM, Ewan Chaos said:

Good write-up for Blue Lips, and we have very similar tastes in specific tracks (Romantics is so baaaad).

LPX! :clap3: Tremble wasn't my fave of hers this year but I still love it and I'm excited to see what a full LPX record will entail (we do have that EP next month at least).

thanks, and yeah its one of the worst tracks she ever released tbh

Slide might be better but it hasn't been with me long enough, Tremble is a fantastic song. Tightrope is cute too. Interested in what a full body of work will sound like as well, altho the EP only has three new songs kii

5 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

Asido was a nice standalone.

Ngl, I forgot about the Empress track. Will await a new album.

Ponyboy bangs. 

Lorely needs to hurry up and come through, cuz Me is not enough anymore. If anything, Go To Hell is a very promising look at her next record hopefully. 

PUT THE PONY IN HIS PLACE

sqaEYrd.gif

On 24.12.2017 at 11:01 PM, AlexisNeiers said:

I forgot that Go to Hell was co-written by Caroline :jonny: It's no Standard but I'll still take it. Also love Hurts to Liv and Asido and Love What Survives from the album list :heart2:

They did that together, I love how Caroline is slowly becoming the next demanded songwriter in pop music, I loved what she did with Danny for the Superfruit record.

new song update out now, album update coming later today xo

sqaEYrd.gif

2 minutes ago, Reinvention said:

"Learn to Let Go" is so uplifting, happy and heartening to hear. For so long I just couldn't even fathom how Kesha could make a comeback. I do hate to think about it too much though because the album does very much give the impression that she is free, when in fact she is not, and how this sickly kinda benefits Kesha cause people are more open to supporting her if they believe they are supporting a free woman, when really he is still collecting his cheque off her coattails. It's despicable - but she's doing the best she can, and clearly is doing her darndest to move on with her life.

I love that Macklemore seems to be a great friend of hers, and I'm excited for their tour together. I think his energy will really help improve her confidence even moreso. Time to hit that "Praying" note live queen!

ok wow, interesting point actually. I think what she did cleverly was not really make the album specifically about what happened to her, but use that energy to deliver a universal message about going on strong in tough times. But yeah, its a tough situation but at least she was able to put out music that she wanted to and go on tour with it.

I love your description for each item. I wish I had that dedication. :clap3:

Edited by Delta

3 hours ago, ChapelHooker said:

stan for Sel's best song and Banks' like sixth or seventh best song :fan:

Billie's age is kinda staggering considering the amount of potential she is showing. Bellyache is soo addicting.

And nah, BL would've been better without them tbh, Romantics especially.

Hands To Myself, Come & Get It and Love You Like A Love Song exist tho :fan:

Yeah and she looks like she could be in her 20s :rip:

The only song Blue Lips would have been better without is 9th Of October, and maybe Shivering Gold :thing:

Edited by K$Ellie

1 hour ago, Delta said:

I love your description for each item. I wish I had that dedication. :clap3:

I wish I had your graphics lmao, but thanks :-*

1 hour ago, K$Ellie said:

Hands To Myself, Come & Get It and Love You Like A Love Song exist tho :fan:

Yeah and she looks like she could be in her 20s :rip:

The only song Blue Lips would have been better without is 9th Of October, and maybe Shivering Gold :thing:

Hands To Myself maybe, the rest can choke

and how DARE you come for God Of October and Shivering God :angry:

41 minutes ago, ChapelHooker said:

I wish I had your graphics lmao, but thanks :-*

Hands To Myself maybe, the rest can choke

and how DARE you come for God Of October and Shivering God :angry:

They don't slay, Romantics ha breakdown alone >>> :cm:

• ATRL Moderator

My coworker tried to get me into Men I Trust but I am still a bit unsure....

Honestly, there's a good chance she could top Kin next year, but also a good chance I will be disappointed lol

Spoiler
1 hour ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Gone :clap3: her best song from what she released under ionnalee project

agreed, I like all of them tho, Not Human is also good

1 hour ago, K$Ellie said:

They don't slay, Romantics ha breakdown alone >>> :cm:

if you say so

wxwk3Tp.gif

45 minutes ago, madonnas said:

My coworker tried to get me into Men I Trust but I am still a bit unsure....

Honestly, there's a good chance she could top Kin next year, but also a good chance I will be disappointed lol

I like em, their sound is very relaxing to me and it all has such a nice vibe to it

i'm obviously hyped but i'm trying not to get my hopes up too much just in case its reall flat, but I know for sure that she will never top kin for me, its my fave album of all time so :skull:

can someone post something so the next update is on the new page pls :skull:

• ATRL Moderator

I think Not Human and Samaratin are on the same level as most of the the Kin tracks.  At least we have something better than Blue already!! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.