Lee's Best of 2017 | Top 225 TV Series: 25-1

Lee!!

• ATRL Administrator
16 hours ago, Wicked said:

Man Seeking Woman did not deserve to be below Room 104 :rip:Β 

Yeah when I saw that I kinda regretted it. I didn't do a great job editing the lower end :x

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee!!

• Wicked

• Playa Playa

• Maddox

• ATRL Administrator

BIxpHbH.png

Β 

The Top 225 TV Series: 150-126

clear.gif

1RjcbJI.png
150) "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Slingshot" ABC.com
Slingshot is a short digital series following one of the then recurring characters from Agents of SHIELD, Slingshot. Yo Yo was one of my favorite recurring characters and having her get to shine a little bit more was gladly welcomed. It tied in to the series, served it purpose, and in the current season, she was promoted to series regular. So yay!

l1DjikW.png
149) "Arrow" CW

Last Year: 118

lol Error has become an embarrassment. They still don't know what to do with half the characters. They brought back Katie Cassidy but all they have her do is saunter into a room, glare, scream, and exit. The crossover hijacking another couples wedding was a shitty move. I loved Olicity at the start, now its just embarrassing. I don't expect it to ever get better so it'll likely keep sliding down my list until I can't take it anymore.

stpw6XW.png
148) "Last Chance Kitchen" Bravotv.com
I think last year I tied this into the main series, but this year I broke them apart to highlight more. In Last Chance Kitchen, contestants who were eliminated from Top Chef get to compete for a second chance to enter back into the competition. When they first show up in the kitchen, they usually have to cook something related to why they got eliminated initially. If they mess up a potato, the challenge is potato related. If they mess up a cooking technique, they have to use it. etc, etc. Its a lot more relaxed than the main competition and ~10 minutes or so an episode. And anything that gives me more Top Chef is worth it!

Zj4NXUv.png
147) "The Amazing World of Gumball" Cartoon Network

Last Year: 186

I still love this cartoon series about two kids, their friends andΒ  family and the town all getting into different funny scenarios. The best episode of the year was when they had the kids get pulled into a JRPG. They had amazing cutscenes, the humor was spot on and it felt fresh and fun. The show always uses different forms of animation and that episode alone utilized a whole lot. Episodes are easy to watch and I don't mind when I catch repeats.

t1RADtR.png
146) "The Affair" Showtime

Last Year: 95
This show fell down so hard after the first season. It got too complicated, but also too insular. They first focused on two points of view, then expanded to all 4 of the leads which was welcomed, but they didn't split the time evenly. Then they added a 5th POV which we never met before and was such a dumb addition. We don't care about her. Nor did they give her anything good to work with. Noah is still the worst and I was rooting for his death. But they won't.

Xabldo2.png
145) "24: Legacy" FOX
24 Legacy was a complete disappointment. It was a watered down, repetitive, weak adaptation of the 24 franchise. I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt but the characters we so stupid, the twists were not hard to spot, and it didn't fill the shoes of 24 past. It really lacked Jack too. 24 used to feel bigger than the show. This one felt so tiny and unimportant. It got canceled after the one season and now they're looking into spinning off a lawyer type series using the same 24 hour format, but not about counter terrorism. They needed Jack and Chloe to make this work, but oh well.
Β 

dadiEa3.png

144) "Flea Market Flip" HGTV

Last Year: 160
Flea Market Flip follows Lara Spence as she leads 2 groups of contestants as they turn flea market finds into upcycled pieces which they can then resell for a profit. The team who makes the most money wins. They have different challenges like make a lamp, or make a beach, or something modern, and on and on. It's fun to see what they can get for cheap and turn into cool or really weird pieces. Its also fun to see what sells and how some really ugly things get sold lol It's fun and easy to watch. Lara is a great host.

lCkSbnk.png
143) "Young Sheldon" CBS
CBS finally found a series worthy of following their hit comedy The Big Bang Theory. They finally spun the show off and we get to see Sheldon as a kid living in Texas with his family. He doesn't fit in at school, his siblings don't get him, and his parents try to make sure he has the best life he can. He is in high school despite being a lot younger. It's cute, funny and nice to see them give more depth to an already great character in Sheldon. I fell behind, but I will catch up soon!

qY7dgex.png
142) "Midnight, Texas" NBC
Midnight, Texas comes from the same author who wrote the True Blood series which got adapted to TV on HBO. In this one, we see more supernatural characters who all live in the same town deal with internal issues, strangers who want to hurt them, and other supernatural threats. It aired in the summer, and it was probably for the best. It would have gotten crushed in season as it isn't really the strongest series. Some of the acting was corny and storylines were hit and miss, but overall it was a perfect summer series. It was soft in the ratings and it hasn't been renewed yet, but stranger things have happened!

zke0ZNk.png
141) "Archer" FXX

Last Year: 92
I love Archer. The characters are amazing, the storylines smart, and the execution is solid. But this season I coudln't get into. It was "Archer: Dreamland". The storylines were in a dream alternate reality which had our characters playing different versions of themselves. It didn't work. I couldn't get into it and I fell behind. I applaud them for thinking outside the box and changing up the game like they have done in recent series. I don't know if I'll try to finish it or just move on to the next season when it airs. I hope it'll be better at least.

qZeR2Lg.png
140) "S.W.A.T." CBS
SWAT follows a SWAT team in LA where they have to diffuse different scenarios that flare up in the streets and city. The storylines are fine, the acting is good, and it's entertaining to watch. It's not groundbreaking by any means, but it does a good job entertaining me. The team is struggling to get to a perfect place as there has been a shakeup at the top of the team and they all have to get used to the new leader and different members having different ideas of whats best to do. It got picked up for a full season so it's doing well enough in the ratings.

eeNFD7y.png
139) "Nightcap" Pop

Last Year: 147
Nightcap follows the most dysfunctional behind the scenes team of a fictional late night series called "Nightcap". The host we never see, but we get to see the many celebrities who walk through the doors. This year saw even more big names including but not only, Alec Baldwin, Julianne Moore, Bob Sagat, Debra Messing, and Mark Hamill. It's impressive how a show on a really tiny network was able to get the names, but it probably call comes down to Ali Wentworth who is hilarious and has a lot of connections. It hasn't been renewed for a third season to my knowledge, but I hope it does!

IRBaELE.png
138) "Ozark" Netflix
Ozark is a dark drama which follows a man, who is in bed with the wrong people, who in order to save his own life has to completely rip his family from their past life and work for the bad guys. If something goes wrong, he will be killed. It's dark, both visually and storytelling wise. It felt more like a movie which was then stretched into a TV series. Laura Linney is great and Jason Bateman does a solid job, but he feels like he's playing any other Jason Bateman role. I started it with a buddy of mine, but we haven't finished it yet so I don't have a complete picture yet. I didn't fall for it like many others did so hard but it doesn't mean its not good.

A9IjWWD.png
137) "Life in Pieces" CBS

Last Year: 146
Life in Pieces has found its groove. I've even gotten over the whole broken segments issues I had originally (which you cant really avoid since thats the whole gimmick). They've done a better job threading a connection between all of the segments which makes it easier for me to enjoy. They're funny, and the more we get to know the family and how they work, it just worked even more. I'm behind on a bunch of the current season but I'll get to them eventually!

J7Ir8bS.png
136) "Detroiters" Comedy Central
Detroiters follows two ad men who work together and try to make their small business even bigger with more local Detroit clients. I didn't hear about this one until it was about to premiere and I figured why not try it. The first few episodes I didn't really love, but around 3 or 4 episodes in, the show finds its groove. It has Richard from Veep and Tim Robinson from his short SNL run. They're both really from Detroit so its nice to see them use their hometown and their passion for the city shine. I was pleasantly surprised with this one and look forward to season 2 next year!

MrPK0qt.png
135) "Southern & Hungry" Cooking Channel
I freaking love Damaris Phillips. I will watch her on anything. We got to know her during Food Network Star where she came out on top and own her own series. She's since appeared on many other series as cohosts and judging competitions. This one has her with car expert Rutledge Wood as they tour the south finding some of the best food and eateries they have to offer. You can see their passion for the food they eat and talk about. It was a short run, and I hope we get many more episodes. They had a great dynamic and I always left hungry! Buy "Southern Girl Meets Vegetarian Boy: Down Home Classics for Vegetarians (and the Meat Eaters Who Love Them)" on Amazon.

YS9haDC.png
134) "Wrecked" TBS

Last Year: 150
Wrecked continued in season 2 to follow the group of plane crash survivors as they struggled to survive on the island. This year they were captured by pirates and a whole lot of hilarity ensued. It's a fun take on Lost. It's funny, creative and a perfect summer series. The cast is hilarious, and I like how they brought back a character but recast them and had us pretend they were still the same. I think I read in the third season they will likely recast her again for the lols. It'll be interesting to see what they do next season.

sgG9L2I.png
133) "The Gifted" FOX
The Gifted follows a family who find out their kids are mutants, and a bunch of mutants who are hiding out underground from the government. They all exist in a world where the X-Men have also gone to ground. I was excited about this one, but it was a bit slow. Not much has happened over the course of 10 episodes so far. The final 3 air in January. If it gets renewed they're going to have to do more. The family drama took up a lot more time than it should have. I was interested in the Mutants and their cause more, but they kinda just were there a lot as backup. Theres a lot of potential it didn't live up to, but its not terrible.

Β 

hQieKTI.png

132) "Toni On! New York" WLNY

Last Year: 126
Toni On! continued to follow Toni Senecal as she traversed the tri-state looking for the best food and places for people to go to in the NY tri state area. She is hilarious, has a deep passion for good food, and always finds great personalities to showcase their own passion for the food and services they provide to our local communities. I love seeing what's around me and whats new and whats trendy. I'll keep watching for sure!

NlnSyz0.png
131) "Clarence" Cartoon Network

Last Year: 220
Clarence really grew on me this year. What I found annoying and dumb about the show I was able to find endearing this year. Clarence is just a silly kid who gets into silly situations with his friends. The show wasn't renewed for another season so it will be ending next year sadly. It's had some great episodes and I'm gad I grew to enjoy it more before it ended.

cH5PTuL.png
130) "Loudermilk" Audience
Loudermilk follows a former addict turned counselor who is trying to keep his life in check while also growing and becoming a better person by trying to be there more for the people around him. He's a bit of a dick and is quite blunt, but means well. It's a bit dark, and really grows the more you watch it. The cast is great. Its a shame its not on a bigger network that gets more eyes. Ron Livingston does a great job here.

zkGIvZQ.png
129) "Young & Hungry" Freeform

Last Year: 112
Young & Hungry really found its groove and has been putting out funny episodes since the beginning. It does seem they have been going in circles this year with the whole will they, wont they that they pull every season. The show has heart, is hilarious and always keeps me entertained. I think it was renewed for another season and I hope it's just as good and continues to bring the laughs!

msK5ytQ.png
128) "Will & Grace" NBC
First off, I've never seen an episode of Will & Grace before. I figured I would give this one a try. I can see why it's enjoyed by so many people. For me I'm glad I was able to jump in with little to no knowledge of the series, but at times it does feel like I'm missing the joke or when characters from the past show up, I'm missing that history. So it is a bit weird watching sometimes, but it's still enjoyable. It's already been renewed and is doing better than every other NBC comedy so it'll be around as long as they want to keep doing it haha.

WYEmsXg.png
127) "Episodes" Showtime

This appeared on my list of shows i was most looking forward to in 2017 at number 14. After a year off the air, Episodes finally returned for its final season. The characters were all heading down new paths, but still they're somehow pulled back together for one last hurrah. They're ready to kick off the new chapters in their lives but the past will always come for them. I'm glad we got one more season out of the show and these great characters. I'll miss it!

aZnXSS6.png
126) "New Girl" FOX

Last Year: 130
If you watched the final episode of this past season of New Girl, you could be content with it ending there. In the end, they decided to bring it back for one final season next year which will see the gang after a time jump. It'll be interesting to see what they bring for this final chapter in their lives. I'm glad we got the semi wrap up but this will be the perfect cherry on top to see how they've grown. While never a perfect series, it's pretty pretty solid and offered many laughs and great characters for us to enjoy so I will miss it when it does end. But we still have 8 episodes to air so I'm sure I'll enjoy them!

-----
We keep getting closer to the best stuff! The Top 225 TV Series: 125-101 will be up next!

179)Β "Man Seeking Woman" FXX

161)Β "Channel Zero: No End House" Syfy

141)Β "Archer" FXX

136)Β "Detroiters" Comedy Central

Β 

enjoyed these. Archer was kinda weaker than last seasons though..

Β 

137)Β "Life in Pieces" CBS

Β 

My small pleasureΒ :fan:

Β 

130)Β "Loudermilk" Audience
Β 

I'll give this a shot if it gets renewed.Β 

Same with other people sayingΒ here, MSW's #179 is TOO LOWΒ 

Edited by Mr Greenbird

I was supposed to watch Loudermilk but never got around to it.

I thought I'd love Midnight, Texas but I just never got into it, maybe if HBO made it :rip:Β Also I started watching Ozark but only watched like 4 episodes, it was alright, I need to finish it sometime I guess. I love Will & Grace, you should go back and watch it sometime :angelo:Β Β 

I stopped watching The Affair after Season 1 - it was a well made show, but it was just WAY too slow for my liking (and usually I'm okay with slower paced shows), and the S1 finale ruined the gimmick of the show for me. At first they were using it as a really interesting commentary on how memory works, but the finale was absolutely ridiculous with the two main characters remembering COMPLETELY different events and the show pretending like that's plausible :deadbanana2:Β So good to see I didn't miss anything after stopping :toofunny2:Β 

Familiar with most of these shows but had either not watched or dropped them (Error :skull:)

Β 

That's interesting aboutΒ Archer though. I also appreciateΒ thinking outside the box but sometimes the end results aren't good.Β 

Still need to watch S3 of Man Seeking Woman.Β 

Β 

This is the second season in a row where I finished AHS. Ryan Murphy is getting better, I guess.Β 

Β 

Powerless was a weird show. I liked it, but I get why it was canceled.Β 

Β 

Ozark is great. Hopefully there's a second season.Β 

Β 

The New Girl final season should be interesting.Β 

Β 

• ATRL Administrator
7 hours ago, Changes said:

Still need to watch S3 of Man Seeking Woman.Β 

Β 

This is the second season in a row where I finished AHS. Ryan Murphy is getting better, I guess.Β 

Β 

Powerless was a weird show. I liked it, but I get why it was canceled.Β 

Β 

Ozark is great. Hopefully there's a second season.Β 

Β 

The New Girl final season should be interesting.Β 

Β 

Ozark was renewed!

• ATRL Administrator

BIxpHbH.png

Β 

The Top 225 TV Series: 125-101

clear.gif

A6BZf2M.png
125) "Red Oaks" Amazon Prime Video

Last Year: 143
Red Oaks gave us one final chapter looking at a group of kids and adults who are all connected by the country club they work at, are members of, or are family members of those there. I'm glad we were able to get one last visit to see where everyone is, where they end up, and get to live in the past again. It takes place in the 80s and is a wonderful coming of age story. Not just kids. But coming of age at all different points in your life.

GEAT0I0.png
124) "Teen Titans Go!" Cartoon Network

Last Year: 168

Teen Titans Go will never live up to the expectations of the original animated series but I always find ways to laugh at this one. If the above image looks different, its because they had an amazing miniseries this year which touched back on a plot point from seasons ago. Cyborg has The Night Begins To Shine song in him, and now something wants to steal it from him. He, and the rest of the titans, are pulled into an 80s inspired world where music is the key to ruling. The amazing song is revisited, plus we get versions of it from CeeLo and Fall Out Boy, and new songs too. They're all catchy, it's fun and I can listen to the FOB version of The Night Begins To Shine forever.

s8wdOIZ.png
123) "Daytime Divas" VH1
Daytime Divas was a series inspired by the book from Star Jones where she portrayed a fictional morning discusion show loosely based on the series she once called home, The View. It had all different women together on one panel discussing issues, and focused ont he behind the scenes drama which ensued. The storylines were messy, the drama perfectly corny and catty, and I enjoyed this as a perfect summer "reality" esq series. It filled in the vacancy left behind when UnREAL got pushed to next year. It was canceled after one season but I'm glad I watched it.

YBCd4KI.png
122) "Dr. Ken" ABC

Last Year: 163

In its second season, Dr. Ken became a wonderful family drama after the unbalanced first season run. It highlighted an Asian American family and the parents jobs of working at a medical practice and their co-workers. It was a great family comedy for Friday nights. The ratings got soft, and I'm sure most people shrugged it off after season 1, but I stuck with it. I was sad when it got canceled.

TDRheGi.png
121) "Turn" AMC

Last Year: 156
Turn had its final run bring the end of the American Revolution to our screens and see how far the characters had all come during the war. We saw a big death that shook everyone, history was fairly held to truth, though there were some liberties which I enjoyed actually. It was fun seeing the slight changes made to a time we all know, but they weren't detrimental to the historical accuracy. I had a blast watching it, even though it was slow at times, but having an end game this year really worked in their favor. It was well done and I'll miss it.

LGFFBWw.png
120) "Portlandia" IFC

Last Year: 102
To be honest, I didn't remember a whole lot of what happened this season. Portlandia is a sketch comedy with different chaarcters played by Fred and Carrie every segment. After looking up the season I remembered enjoying a lot of the stories, but a few fell flat to me I remember. With this series you can have some hit and miss sketches and each year they try out something different to keep it fresh. I'll keep watching until they call it quits!

Β 

efueC8R.png

119) "Baby Daddy" Freeform

Last Year: 123
Baby Daddy aired its 100th episode, and also its series finale. We got to see this close knit family and friends tackle more roadblocks in their lives, see them grow even more and as always, have a ton of laughs. We even saw a new baby join the family. I will for sure miss seeing Melissa on my TV every week. She is hilarious and kept me engaged every episode. We had a lot of touching moments, and seeing Emma grow from an infant to a little girl was well worth the ride! You can tell the whole cast cared for her too. I'll miss you Baby Daddy! Thanks for the laughs

118) "Grace and Frankie" Netflix

Last Year: 186
Grace and Frankie picked up where we left the ladies and their former husbands. This season we saw the ladies try to have their sex toy for adults business take off. They ran into complications with their business aspirations, with romantic relationships, and they had their usual back and forth which in the end they always realize how much they mean to each other. I can't wait to see what season 4 brings!

chbw8XT.png
117) "2 Broke Girls" CBS

Last Year: 125
This season of 2 Broke Girls had the girls get a big break when Caroline had a movie about her life adapted in Hollywood. We saw Max deal with having a long term relationship, we saw the girls grow with their business, and the rest of the characters in the diner came along for a lot of dirty and often close to inappropriate jokes which made me laugh a whole lot. In a move I was shocked to hear, CBS canceled the series, leaving it on a cliffhanger and giving no resolution to the girls long running tally at the end of each episode in their hopes to have a successful business. I guess we'll never know now.

HNF92Nq.png
116) "The Magicians" Syfy

Last Year: 124
The Magicians returned in Season 2 to pick up in their world of magic and fighting off evil. We saw the group travel to Fillory and deal with their role in the prophecy of sorts which set them up as royalty. We saw the group go up against evil, and lost one of their own to the dark side which had repercussions all season long. We saw Julia deal with the complications of dealing with evil herself. Overall, it was a mixed ride. Some plots worked, others I was bored beyond belief. I don't care at all for the Fillory plots. They're corny, dumb and a waste of time. They slow down the plot. Hopefully season 3 will move beyond that.

PNmXUPV.png
115) "The Wall" NBC
Chris Hardwick hosts The Wall, a feel good game show where deserving couples, friends, and family members drop giant balls in a bigger than life game of Plinko. It's honestly really suspenseful and very enjoyable watching people hopefully make a lot of money. And these people all have deserving back stories which makes you want to root for them even more. Chris is an engaging host, and you really do hope they walk away with the most money they possibly can.

tAP4DcT.png
114) "Workaholics" Comedy Central

Last Year: 110
Workaholics returned for one final run which saw the guys in yet even more effed up scenarios at work and at home. We saw them party, we saw them act fools of themselves, and we got to explore more of their coworkers which always makes me laugh. I never sought out to find this show initially, having seen an episode in a friends dorm room, and I'm so glad I found it. The show was funny, different, and well worth my time. I can't wait to see these guys show up in even more things as I hope all of their stars rise even more.

JdqUvaJ.png
113) "Supergirl" CW

Last Year: 106
Ugh this show. They have so much good going for them, but they choose to focus on all the wrong stuff. They have really powerful strong female characters, but they are often forgotten in order to prop up some other dumb storyline instead of being badass. Take Supergirl herself. She became a secondary character to her boring and dumb boyfriend, Mon-El. He dragged the series down beyond belief. In the move from CBS to the CW, they lost Calista Flockhart, and the show lost its sheen. When she shows up rarely, the show peaks its head but without her it's a mess. The first half of this current season was Mon-Hell less and when she wasn't moping over him, it was slightly better. When he showed up it got even dumber again. There's hope but I doubt it'll get any better.

OQE1Naa.png
112) "The Great Food Truck Race" Food Network

Last Year: 166
This season Tyler Florence took a new batch of Food Truck aspiring owners on a competition through the south US. We saw them travel city to city, partaking in challenges in order to come on top and make it to the end where they would be crowned the winner, and be able to start up their own food truck. The cast this year was solid. I rooted for them all. I had some favorites, but it didn't really matter because I could enjoy it with or without them. Hopefully the show returns again next year. It always is a great summer show to watch.

qFOfl3b.png
111) "Designated Survivor" ABC

Last Year: 93
Designated Survivor lost a lot of steam after the initial plot last year. When it returned this year, they ramped up the drama and made you want to find out more. It even pushed a lot of the family drama to the side in order to focus more on the political drama. This season, they made it even more close to real life issues which we face and try to make some sort of statement, which sometimes seems corny. It also again lost a lot of steam, finishing up the initial conspiracy plot, and heading into a newer one which seemed to drag on. Episodes sometimes land, and other times seem to drag on forever. Hopefully when it returns, it'll get back into a momentum. The show has gone through so many showrunners, it's not surprising. Hopefully it sticks the landing.

BubJnK8.png
110) "Saturday Night Live" NBC

Last Year: 173
I actually regret putting this so high on my list on one hand. The series is still very inconsistent. The thing it had going for it this year was all of the political sketches they successfully pulled off. Having Alec as Trump is always a hoot. Having Melissa as Spicer was hilarious. Kate as everyone was perfect. Even some of the newbies came in strong. Others didn't. But it's been a pretty enjoyable year. Colin Jost and Michael Che still can't get it together at the Weekend Update desk. They're not funny, their jokes are weak, and I feel like I hear most of their jokes from other late night hosts during the week when the news is fresh. They also got promoted to co-head writers and you could see from the bomb of an episode this week with Kevin Hart that next year is going to be crap. Jost was already once demoted after a horrible run, so bringing him back baffles me beyond belief. Fire Colin Jost. Please Lorne.

TUtjnpo.png
109) "The Mindy Project" hulu

Last Year: 134
This year The Mindy Project came to a close after its two network funny run. In this final season, we saw Mindy dealing with a relationship then falling out of a relationship. We saw her reconnect with a lot of old characters, some of which we haven't seen in a while. It remained funny, but a lot of the season felt like they were packing a lot into the final 10 episodes. Having more time could have been better, but it was a fun final run. I don't understand why they decided to end Mindy back with someone from her past, but it was clear it was going to be that way. I guess since she's a helpless romantic, but I think after all this time, Mindy ending up with Mindy alone would have been a better ending. But I'm not a writer, and it wasn't my story to tell so... lol

Azje0Fu.png
108) "Nashville" CMT

Last Year: 122
Nashville successfully moved from ABC, it's former home of 4 seasons, to CMT. We initially lost two characters that were not important to the story and feeling of Nashville. Then there was a massive blow, and the show lost a very important character to the show. It shook everyone to the core in the series, and left me sad personally. The show was able to recover quite quickly and keep up what makes Nashville such a great series. It brought some renewed storytelling, had everyone deal with the death differently, and brought on some new characters which I liked. Next season will be the final, and I can't wait to see where they go with the story and characters!

Β 

IEil0t8.png

107) "Marlon" NBC
Marlon was no where to be seen on the NBC schedule until they aired it in the middle of the summer. I assumed they had little to no faith in it so they buried it there to meet their contracts. But I was pleasantly surprised! While the show isn't groundbreaking or deep or the funniest thing I've ever seen, I laughed a lot more than I expected to. Marlon Wayans brought his signature comedy to the show, and it was pretty good. The thing that caught me first was the theme song opening. It's just MARLON repeated a bunch of times really fast. I had to rewind and listen again because it was so weird but funny. It still gets stuck in my head randomly I DONT KNOW WHY. But it did well enough that NBC renewed it for a second season! I hope it'll be just as funny!

s0NtVuf.png
106) "What Would Diplo Do?" Viceland
What Would Diplo Do? is a comedy that takes the real life Diplo, and make him even more over the top and awkward and funny and more of a character. James Van Der Beek did a great job making "Diplo" over the top, often dumb, but nevertheless, a hopeful guy who only wants the best for himself and those around him. The cast included Dillon Francis playing Diplos friend who hung around from his past, his "manager", and an assistant who often was there to be grounded and make sure the show wasn't completely over the top. It was funny. It was different. It was most of all entertaining. While not anything groundbreaking, I was glad I watched it and I hope there will be more to the story of this Diplo..

VqRj7A3.png
105) "Downward Dog" ABC
Downward Dog was another new series held for summer, this time by ABC. The story followed a dog who loved his owner and would do anything for his owner and loved being a dog and the life he has. He thinks hes human, just like his owner, and it was really cute. The show was pretty deep and heartwarming for a silly premise. We saw him react to his owner installing a doggy door, her ex getting back into her life, and learning about whats beyond her house in the world. We also see her deal with the dog, her relationships romantically and at work, and see her grow in her job. It was cute. It was smart. It was funny. It was a shame ABC didn't order more.

qNfEZJm.png
104) "Justice League Action" Cartoon Network
I haven't watched any Saturday morning cartoons in years, but when I heard they were doing this adaptation of DC's comic characters, I had to watch. The show is short episodes of 11 minutes which focus on all different DC characters from their whole catalog. Some you may not know of, some smaller ones I love, and of course the big ones we all know. With DC kicking ass in the comics with Rebirth, I was excited to see what they would do here. The animation was slightly different, the tone was more kid-ish funny, and it was easy to watch. It's not going to win any awards, but its fun to see these characters in a different light.

7zs9gFD.png
103) "Killjoys" Syfy

Last Year: 109
Killjoys picked up kicking ass like it always does this year. We learned more about the woman resembling our fierce leader. We learned more about the conspiracy. We learned more about the green goo. We saw people moving on beyond the events of the past season which affected everyone deeply. The show isn't perfect, I have some issues with pacing sometimes, but it delivers a solid summer fun ride. The show was renewed for 2 more seasons which will be the last. (I'll have more to say about this angrily later).

BoMFIPK.png
102) "Trial & Error" NBC

Again, another disclaimer. I don't think Sherri Shepherd is funny. I find her comedy one note and off putting. But holy crap did I enjoy the heck out of her character here. She was actually probably the best thing about the series. Her character sufferes from a phone book long list of disorders and issues which are too funny to actually be real. The series follows a lawyer who takes on a case in a wacky small town. He is drawn in and works his butt off with a quirky group of people he works with on the case. The show was envisioned to have a new case every season, and they'll likely find another big name to be the case next season.

8FFE9f5.png
101) "The Night Shift" NBC

Last Year: 137
This show really found its groove in season 4. The past season left off on a big cliffhanger and I was glad that NBC renewed it again. We lost yet again more cast members between seasons, but they worked them in effectively again. It helped keep the show on its feet, and we got to see and learn more about the rest of the doctors and nurses at the hospital. The show did a solid job exploring issues veterans deal with which was a welcomed take on the hospital dramas we all know. They wrapped up the season nicely with a little bit hanging if they were to get another season. But it felt like a good spot to leave if need be. And NBC decided not to order more so it was a fitting ending. The show that shouldn't have made it past 1 season got 4 so I am happy!

-----
Top 100 here we come! The Top 225 TV Series: 100-75 will be up next!

The Workaholics crew is actually dropping a movie in April, Ders is writing it. Aya Cash will be in it too.

Β 

Β 

I didn't keep up with Workaholics 100 percent but it is an all time classic. Some of this years eps + Trial and Error are the only ones I watched from this set.

wow, i don't think i can even NAME 200 tv shows :jonny:

• ATRL Administrator
1 hour ago, Wicked said:

The Workaholics crew is actually dropping a movie in April, Ders is writing it. Aya Cash will be in it too.

Β 

Β 

I didn't keep up with Workaholics 100 percent but it is an all time classic. Some of this years eps + Trial and Error are the only ones I watched from this set.

OMG THANK YOU FOR THIS

I’m still madT that Real O’Neals got cancelled. It was so #important to have representation of a young queer character on primetime network television.Β 

Β 

Will & Grace is probably my favorite show everΒ andΒ I’m absolutely loving the revival (literally the only good revival ever?), but part of me feels a little sad that it was necessary. Shows like Real O’Neals, Faking It, The New Normal, and Looking have tried to take LGBTQ representation in comedy in new directions (with teens, with parenthood, with different identities, etc) and they’ve inevitably been cutΒ withinΒ three seasons. So now we’ve reverted to Will & Grace, the β€œoriginal” gay seriesβ€”the β€œsafe” gay series. Fortunately, they’ve been exploring important topics in the W&G revival, but only shallowly.Β 

Β 

Thank goddess for Netflix, which continues to push the boundaries in ways that traditional formats simply won’t allow.Β 

Β 

Which brings me to Grace & Frankie. Lily Tomlin is a treasure, and her FrankieΒ is my favorite character β€œon tv.” Maybe she can finally snatch thatΒ Emmy if Veep takes a gap year!

Β 

Β 

The only other eliminated show that I watch is Designated Survivor, and I agree that it’s had a bit of a decline this season. I think I’d actually like it a lot more if it was just a Maggie Q FBI drama... which is odd, because I stopped watching law enforcement procedurals years ago.Β 

Β 

Β 

Everything else that I watch is still in the mix. Can’t wait to see what you make of Handmaid’s Tale and Series of Unfortunate Events (both of which I love) and Runaways and Mindhunter (which I haven’t started yet).

Β 

Β 

PS: You should make Sense8 your #1. :devil:Β 

Edited by Achilles.

32 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

It was so #important to have representation of a young queer character on primetime network television.Β 

It's not primetime, so I guess this is useless information, but a main character on Runaways is LGBT. Young teen.

• ATRL Administrator

BIxpHbH.png

Β 

The Top 225 TV Series: 100-76

clear.gif

rFatPkX.png
100) "Ex on the Beach" MTVUK

Last Year: 67
Ex on the Beach returned for more chaos and fighting and drinking and sleeping with other peoples exes and another overall fun ride. The show has a bunch of seasons under its belt, but this season felt the most scripted of all. They weren't trying too hard at times to even hide it. It still made for an extremely entertaining season. Actually, there may have been 2 this year I don't remember now haha. But Marty came back and hes the worst and he can fuck off forever. Chloe is the best. Can't wait for next season!

ywv8EWq.png
99) "Blindspot" NBC

Last Year: 120

Blindspot continued the story of trying to take down Sandstorm and protecting the people of the United States from threats all around. This group still used Jane's tattoos to help stop crime, but they didn't overtly use it as much. Since they were tired directly into Sandstorm, they could be explained in other ways. I haven't gotten to season 3 yet which started a about a month ago, but the way season 2 ended, I'm sure it'll be just as good.

Fh1EXSw.png
98) "Worst Cooks in America" Food Network

Last Year: 135
Worst Cooks returned this year for two more installments. The first, the regular every day contestants. This year, Anne Burrell was joined by Rachael Ray for the non celebrity format for the first time. And like I said, she was there for the second, a celebrity version. Both were good seasons. They always crack me up with how bad they are at cooking. I was glad with the winner of the regular season. I was disappointed with the results of the celebrity edition. Melissa was robbed!!!!! BA-LOW!!!!

VcdxfUH.png
97) "The Mayor" ABC

The Mayor tells the story of an aspiring rapper who runs for Mayor as a joke, but then is able to connect with the people and wins, shocking everyone. Each episode has him dealing with issues of being the mayor, issues going on in the town, and issues dealing with his friends, family and co workers. It's cute, fun and funny. YNB is amazing in everything, and this is no different! the ratings are soft which is sad to see. I hope it can survive! It would be an absolute shame.

2G7S6E6.png
96) "Food: Fact or Fiction?" Food Network

Last Year: 133
Food: Fact or Fiction continued to crack the code on food related phrases, quotes and assumptions. We learned how historical events helped shape the way we look at foods. We saw wives tales and catch phrases debunked. We saw so so so much more that always presents the facts, or fictions, with humor and entertainment. Guests help break down the facts and it's overall really entertaining. It hits all the right notes in the history buff in me. I can't wait to learn even more :D

Z8X5nI9.png
95) "Speechless" ABC

Last Year: 84
Speechless continued following the DiMeo family as they go about their lives in a unique, yet everyday family. The oldest son is in a wheelchair, the other son is a nervous wreck, and the daughter is a cool, calm and funny kid. The adults have their own quirks. The parents run into a lot of funny scenarios at home, work and the kids school. JJ's "voice" who speaks for him fits right in too. It' cute, funny and heartwarming, but not to the point of an after school special. I can't wait for more.

Β 

xS4fgK1.png

94) "Riverdale" CW

This appeared on my list of shows I was looking forward to in 2017 at number 4. Season 1 was really solid. The mystery was compelling, seeing the kids deal with teen and more adult issues was a fun take. I have read a lot of Archie comic in my life and this unique spin on the long running series was fun. Season 2 on the other hand is far less focused, the pacing is off, and the mystery was not as compelling. The reveal in the finale was a let down and didn't make all too much sense or give us much reason to care. I hope when it returns it'll find itself again, and not be as serious as it got.

Jj4Eexn.png
93) "Last Man Standing" ABC

Last Year: 105
I was surprised that ABC canceled this long running comedy so unceremoniously. It was a consistent performer, was very funny, and did a whole lot better on Friday nights in the ratings than it's replacement has been doing. I wish we got a real tie up or one last run. It doesn't make sense that they would let it go, especially when it could have been paired with the coming Rosanne revival. But oh well, it was fun while it lasted. If you thought it was a straight up conservative series, you were wrong. Some of the best jokes were jokes and the expense of the more conservative members of the series. And the ones they made at liberals were funny too. Oh well. I'll miss it. Suck it haters.

4cVSfRE.png
92) "Fear The Walking Dead" AMC

Last Year: 100
Season 3, Fear The Walking Dead really found its voice and way to separate itself from the original Walking Dead series. This season saw a bunch of characters bite the bullet, we met a lot of new ones, and we saw a whole lot of different locations which helped bring much needed change. Next season will itself be a soft reboot, with most of the cast gone, they're bringing on a whole lot of other new characters anc changing the locale again. I can't wait to see where the story goes next.

AVpJxdl.png
91) "American Housewife" ABC

Last Year: 99
American Housewife is a hoot. I love the humor and jokes they make at the expense of the people living in this fictional Westport, CT. Having grown up in the area and knowing people from there, it's funny to see it on an over the top magnified way. The Otto's are a good family that have a bunch of quirks and in the end all love each other. The recurring members of the town are funny, and Katy Mixon is hilarious in this perfect lead role. I hope it sticks around for a long time.

Y2wiVV8.png
90) "The Mick" FOX
The Mick takes Sweet Dee from It's Always Sunny and sets her up as guardians of children after their parents go on the run for white collar crimes. Well, not really. But Kaitlin Olson essentially plays a Dee inspired character who has questionable morals as a parental figure. The kids are funny, the former housekeeper is hilarious, and her on and off boyfriend is funny too. After keeping the location static in season 1, season 2 saw them in ever more locations which helped bring even more hilarious situations. I can't wait for it to return.

PlCylwh.png
89) "Talking Dead" AMC

Last Year: 94
Talking Dead continued to be a perfect way to unwind and unpack what had just gone down on the most recent episodes of The Walking Dead and Fear The Walking Dead. Chris Hardwick continued to be a great host to help connect fans to the guests on the couch and have them answer all the questions we had after just watching. It's funny, it's emotional at times and is always worth watching. Episodes which are pretaped, mostly for FTWD were not as good, but they were worth it. The live aspect makes the show more fun, and spontaneous. Chris has done some hilarious things that you can't edit out live!

K6nK4hO.png
88) "Code Black" CBS

Last Year: 80
Code Black finished out its second season run earlier this year. The show is the right balance of hospital drama, emotional human pieces and dealing with real issues. It's grounded, heartfelt, and I was sorta surprised they renewed it for a third season. The cast is great, but yet again, more cast members are leaving between seasons. Hopefully it can still be just as good whenever it returns on our TVs.

jhicO2C.png
87) "The Last Man on Earth" FOX

Last Year: 89
This year Last Man tackled something more post apocalyptic series don't do. What happens to all of the dangerous nuclear and other hazardous materials after time when mankind is mostly gone and there's no one to inspect or keep it at bay. This year, the group realized they have to find a zone where they can survive the fallout. The show remained funny as hell, tackled some serious issues, and continued to keep the story going about a group of people forced to become family when there are pretty much no more humans left on earth. I'm behind a few episodes but I'm sure they've been just as good!

hxp8WXK.png
86) "Modern Family" ABC

Last Year: 83
Modern Family is in a groove where it's no longer a groundbreaking series but is still a consistently humorous show. In the past storylines felt new and unique when they were woven together in the course of one episode. Some now seem a bit more forced, but they still work well. I always laugh and they have the formula to a perfect episode down pat. With the kids growing up I feared they'd try to make them more adult, but they still get the same attention and do a good job portraying growing up today. It's already renewed for another season. If i had to guess, it's probably close to the end.

2F8Ro9t.png
85) "Younger" TV Land

Last Year: 115
Younger has hit a great point in the run. They have given more attention to side characters, they have pushed the whole "I'm not 26" plot to a breaking point, and I feel once they're beyond it, the show can become even stronger. It can still tie into the plot of the series, but having more and more people who know will help get them beyond the "will they find out oh no!" ploys. This year we saw relationships change, work life struggle and prosper, and people growing up in their own ways. I always feel good after an episode and they are quite funny in their own way.

wJy7xg6.png
84) "Floribama Shore" MTV
I had low expectations with this, having loved Jersey Shore so much since the beginning. The best part about this series is that it doesn't try to copy or emulate Jersey Shore at all. It's just a group of people living together who fight, drink, work and struggle living together. It feels more The Real World at times than Jersey Shore. It's essentially a perfect balance between the two series. While it still doesn't hit the complete highs of Jersey Shore and Geordie Shore, it sure is holding itself just with 5 episodes under its belt. I laugh, I get mad, and love how they don't hold back with the fights. It's pure entertainment. Some of the housemates are amazing, others are annoying. But I wouldn't change a thing right now.

31JlRE6.png
83) "Angie Tribeca" TBS

Last Year: 40
Angie Tribeca continued parodying procedural in hilarious and over the top ways. The humor is perfect for the parody. I did find myself growing tired a bit of some of the jokes but overall I was laughing a whole lot. They bring on great guest actors in hilarious roles, and the names they give these people are perfect. It's a great long running gag and I hope it continues to make me laugh when it returns for a fourth season next year.

Β 

DGuREn0.png

82) "Santa Clarita Diet" Netflix
The way they didn't put out much info about this series was perfect. Going in, this was no where near what i was expecting. My old college roommate watched it and when I was over started it over with me and I was into it instantly. The acting is perfect because the cast commits to the over the top role and really makes you okay with the silly premise. The storylines are sometimes gross but always make me laugh, even when cringing at times. I'm glad I watched it and can't wait for it to return.

uFm2zv4.png
81) "Kevin (Probably) Saves The World" ABC
This show is so cute! It's a TV series version of a giant hug. It's heartwarming, hopeful and funny. Kevin is in a bad place in his life and moves in with his sister and her daughter after the father has unexpectedly died. Kevin comes across a space rock and suddenly he is visited by a celestial body who tells him he has a role to play in the universe. He has to find "righteous souls" and hug them lol. The show is funny, cute and always looks at things in the best way, even when all hope should be lost. It's not doing great in the ratings, but I will be with this one until the end. Hopefully thats not a short time. I wanna spend as much time with these characters and this series as I can!

52KLLp3.png
80) "Doctor Who" BBC America
This appeared on my list of shows I was looking forward to in 2017 at number 12. Doctor Who returned for one last run with Capaldi as the Doctor. We had a new companion, Bill, who was so refreshing, funny, and unique to the series. She challenged the Doctor and made her mark on the series really fast. We also saw the return of Missy and The Master. Capaldi got screwed having Moffat as his only showrunner and I think he could have shone even more with someone else at the head. He's leaving after the x-mas special with Moffat (THANK GOD) and I hope the new (female) doctor will be amazing. I loved her on Broadchurch so I have high hopes!

DeBtEqp.png
79) "Talking with Chris Hardwick" AMC
Essentially a spinoff of Talking Dead (Bad, Saul, Preacher, etc), Chris Hardwick sits down with celebrities and has an engaging conversation with them talking a host of different topics and issues. It was essentially a podcast on TV. Chris did a great job choosing guests, and asking them great questions which got them to give a lot of opinions and thoughts on what they had on their minds. I hope this returns. It can't be expensive at all to produce and AMC would probably love to continue their professional relationship with Chris. The ratings for this were really soft though. But stranger things have happened!

TXc38LK.png
78) "The Family Law" SBS

Last Year: 85
The Law family returned to follow them as they continued to grow as a family after their parents separate. We saw the dad get a new girlfriend, we saw Benjamin Law deal with his school play and his best friend go through rocky times, and we saw his mom pick up the pieces of her new life. The rest of the kids had their own moments too. It's a great watch. I'm glad I found it. I wish a US distributor would pick it up. It was renewed for a third and final season and I will be looking forward to watching it next year!

8gwDq8d.png
77) "The Last Ship" TNT

Last Year: 71

Now that the plague has been essentially cured, this season we saw the crew on board have to deal with the fallout of the food supply getting infected and leading to a possible food shortage world wide. They are on the hunt for seeds which are immune to the disease which will be able to feed everyone. Of course things don't go according to plan. The former captain is pulled back into the world wide crisis. The new villains were a bit annoying, and I saw the twist with the dad coming miles away. The crew lost some more members which were there from the beginning, but it was all worth it. It is a perfect summer series. (even though it got pushed to late summer this year.) Next season is likely the end and I'll enjoy it until that day comes!

XY3nDB6.png
76) "Superior Donuts" CBS
Superior Donuts is a series inspired by a play of the same name. An old dude who owns a donut shop hires a young aspiring black artist to work in his shop. The two of them learn from each other and grow as a result. In addition there are a group of regulars in the shop who bring tension, humor and hear to the series. It is a multicam comedy but it doesn't always feel that way. When season 2 picks up, we were down 2 characters, but we gained another which brought some nice new blood and storylines. The show has heart, makes me laugh and can be a bit rough around the edges, always with good intentions. It proves multicam comedies can be different and be bigger than themselves.

-----
Getting close to the top! The Top 225 TV Series: 75-51 will be up next!

I agree about Riverdale, I loved the first season but something is off with season 2, I still love it tho tbh :jonny:Β I wanted to watch The Mayor but I saw its ratings were really low so kinda waiting to see if its cancelled or not before committing any time :rip:Β 

Riverdale was a mess for me, and they ruined Jughead 5 episodes into it. I gave it up.

Β 

Katy Mixon IS a gotdamn legend :dies: I need to watch American Housewife. Speechless! S2 hasn't had the highs that S1 has yet but it's barely halfway done so.

What a perfect description of "Fuller House"Β :fan:

Β 

I also agree with FTWD getting better.

Β 

Shadowhunters is okay, but i can see why it's so low on your list. "Teen Wolf" was a mess this season.

Β 

They should use Katie more on "Arrow". She's almost the only good thing on the show left.

Β 

Santa Clarita Diet was nice :)Β I got over that Nashville death real quickΒ :eli:

Β 

2 Broke GirlsΒ :alexz:Β Can't believe they cancelled it.Β 

Β 

Riverdale is a mess sometimes, but it's enjoyable. Supergirl also on the list.Β :clap3:

Β 

I didn't see Dynasty yet, so i hope it's in the Top 75.Β :eek:

Β 

But 225 shows? How? I watch like 40 shows and people already think i'm crazy.Β :ahh:

Trial & Error is so funny :jonny:

Blindspot :duca:

Β 

The Mick and Last Man on Earth...FOX bringing those comedies.Β 

Β 

Started to watch Angie Tribeca. It's cute.Β 

Β 

Santa Clarita Diet is some gross fun. :skull:

Modern Family :clap3:Β 

Capaldi was one of my least favorite doctors :doc: looking forward to the female one :heart2:Β 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.