• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wicked

• Playa Playa

• Tom Vercetti

• Maddox

Should I feel ashamed for not knowing any of those? :cries: Waiting for the main list!

On 12/11/2017 at 4:45 PM, Wicked said:

SZA - The Weekend

The struggle vocals, the struggle lyrics (what is this faux deep mess lmao, it's NOT that deep). Remember when side chick anthems were classic bops? I do. This is a mess. So is the rest of CTRL.

On 12/11/2017 at 5:29 PM, Wicked said:

600x600bb.jpg

Throwaway R&B, a new genre, fit for the SZAs & now Kehlani's of the world. A song of struggle, this kind of strikes me as Tumblr's answer to Reality Show (Jazmine Sullivan). Stop comparing this to Velvet Rope or A Seat At the Table.

a77a91f86f7a92700a8f1a4ba99a6fb3.599x418

I still need to watch American Crime and the Runaways, I haven't really watched Transparent since season 1 tbh, I love Judith Light but idk the show was never that funny/good to me :rip: 

I want to watch Happy! and Castlevania :cm: 

Only saw War out of the movie HMs and it was good, probably my favourite from the series.

Spiderman and Geralds Game :clap3: 

8 hours ago, Blond(e) said:

a77a91f86f7a92700a8f1a4ba99a6fb3.599x418

:deadbanana: 

6 hours ago, Staryu said:

I still need to watch American Crime and the Runaways, I haven't really watched Transparent since season 1 tbh, I love Judith Light but idk the show was never that funny/good to me :rip: 

S3 of American Crime started out strong, but kind of lost its identity towards the end, still good but the show could've ended better. Transparent S2 is where it's at, the best season but it's all downhill from there.

4 hours ago, Topmaster 2 said:

I want to watch Happy! and Castlevania :cm: 

Happy! is a crazy ride, only 2 eps so far but I like it. Castevania was entertaining too.

3 hours ago, Vilppu said:

Only saw War out of the movie HMs and it was good, probably my favourite from the series.

So good!! Caesar is one of the best characters ever.

2 hours ago, Navyofbadgals said:

Spiderman and Geralds Game :clap3: 

First good Spidey movie in years :rip: 

8 hours ago, Playa Playa said:

American Crime & Underground :clap3: They will be appearing on my lists but also towards the bottom.

Here for the Brown Girls mention too. I hope the HBO adaption happens and the series becomes even greater. 

"War for the..." was a great conclusion to that trilogy too. I also watched Mommy Dead and Dearest after seeing you talk about it and was shocked. 

Hopefully Brown Girls lives up to this article: HBOs Brown Girls Will Change Television

Mommy Dead & Dearest was a tough watch... 

1 hour ago, Wicked said:

S3 of American Crime started out strong, but kind of lost its identity towards the end, still good but the show could've ended better. Transparent S2 is where it's at, the best season but it's all downhill from there.

It’s surprising how many people get this wrong, but you are correct, season 2 is absolutely the best Transparent season :clap3:

I like seasons 3 and 4 too though

33 minutes ago, Blond(e) said:

It’s surprising how many people get this wrong, but you are correct, season 2 is absolutely the best Transparent season :clap3:

I like seasons 3 and 4 too though

Ali just became too much, she is truly unbearable. She makes everything about herself, including her mother's journey, it's just annoying. I like what they did with Josh in S4 though and backstory on Davina. 

Edited by Wicked

Will check out the Adult Swim series soon.

Also great list of movies! Didn't expect how much i'd enjoy John Wick 2, it was cool!

On 11/12/2017 at 7:29 PM, Wicked said:

600x600bb.jpg

Why was this so acclaimed online? It was poor. Also Jens voice is annoying. Not for me.

You need to see the light sis, jens is amazing!! :fish2:

Throwaway R&B, a new genre, fit for the SZAs & now Kehlani's of the world. A song of struggle, this kind of strikes me as Tumblr's answer to Reality Show (Jazmine Sullivan).

i love tea :fish1:

First 10 songs tomorrow, the struggle to cut it down to 50 was hard, more HMs :'(

American Crime so underrated it's just sad

wanna see Beach Rats so bad

your ctrl slander is just....sis why?

I was about to hit post for the songs then accidentally cleared the post box :rip: Coming in a few mins!

mu4g0l.png

50. Kap G - Big Racks

fNsTFWQ.jpg

Kap G sort of semi-smashed last year with Girlfriend, but he's still a bit unknown. With Pharrell as a mentor can you really go wrong? This along with a few other songs on his EP 'Supa Jefe' should've been bigger hits, but it is what it is. A thorough bop.

Wh4aup3.jpgg27nNql.jpg

49. Sam Hunt - Drinkin' Too Much

Fr1y8l5.jpg

Sam broke big this year with Body Like a Back Road, which while cute, is his weakest effort this year. Drinkin's Too Much is a heartfelt apology letter in a way, to his now wife Hannah Lee. He pours his emotions out with nothing but a guitar and it just works with the rawness of his voice. I've always been a Sam supporter, and he's slowly been showing he's more than one of the faces of Country-Pop.

Wh4aup3.jpgg27nNql.jpg

48. Ne Yo - Another Love Song

uohlckx.jpg

The best songwriter of his R&B generation has had many duds in recent memory, but this is a hit (or should've been). A lighthearted love song in the middle of a period of R&B when everyone is trying to one up each other in how 'dark' they can get + how much reverb they can add, this was a welcome change of pace. If he has more like this in the works for his upcoming album, I'm all ears.

Wh4aup3.jpgg27nNql.jpg

47. Better Person - Zakochany Czlowiek (A Man in Love)

i49naEd.jpg

Better Person is heavily inspired by 80s 'Sofisti-Pop", or whatever you want to call it. And he's pretty damn great at it. Here's he's singing about lost love & memories of a previous relationship in his native tongue of Polish. His EP made my list last year, and I'm sure his next project whenever it may come will be a favorite of mine once again.

Wh4aup3.jpgg27nNql.jpg

46. Mabel - Bedroom

o73j0S7.jpg

Everyone went crazy over the wrong Pop-N-B girl from the UK this year... Mabel is where it's at. Here she's going on about not being happy with a relationship that lacks emotional connection, and wanting more.

Wh4aup3.jpgg27nNql.jpg

45. Sevdaliza - Hubris

xGdjyqm.jpg

Sevdaliza fully steps into the world of Trip Hop and it's a success on all fronts.

Wh4aup3.jpgg27nNql.jpg

44. 2 Chainz - Good Drank (feat. Gucci Man & Quavo)

SPX3tgA.jpg

Quavo is competing with Thugger for most quotable rapper at the moment, and he might be winning. I never really listened to a full 2 Chainz album but 'Pretty Girls Like Trap Music' was very nice. Gucci is nice here too.

Wh4aup3.jpgg27nNql.jpg

43. Alkaline - Pretty Girl Team

v4wYsby.png

If you didn't know, Alkaline has taken Vybz spot as Dancehall king, one of the most underrated genres. Alkaline had a serious hot streak this year, banner after banner and this might be the best of all.

Wh4aup3.jpgg27nNql.jpg

42. Maggie Rogers - On + Off

boD0lcn.jpg

Maggie made a splash with Alaska, and delivered a very satisfying EP. This is probably the best cut off that for me.

Wh4aup3.jpgg27nNql.jpg

41. Marika Hackman - Boyfriend

3PV6zfm.jpg

This super cheeky cut, Marika sings about how she had relations with a woman in a relationship with a man. Hailed as a queer relationship/woman empowerment anthem, it works. The sarcastic tone carried throughout makes me chuckle. The instrumentation was the 2nd best thing about this, compared to her first album which was more quiet, this was very bombastic. A tune.

Wh4aup3.jpgg27nNql.jpg

Edited by Wicked

Whew Boyfriend deserves that acclaim!

Good Drank :clap3: Amazing hook. Big Racks, Bedroom and Pretty Girl Team (listening atm) are bops too.

Not that big on Another Love Song with its 2014-ish production. Ne-Yo deserves better & I like Earn Ur Love more.

Edited by Playa Playa

8 minutes ago, Playa Playa said:

Whew Boyfriend deserves that acclaim!

Good Drank :clap3: Amazing hook. Big Racks, Bedroom and Pretty Girl Team (listening atm) are bops too.

Not that big on Another Love Song with its 2014-ish production. Ne-Yo deserves better & I like Earn Ur Love more.

That's one of my faves of the year too :dies:

I forgot about that Sam Hunt track but I liked it earlier in the year.

Liking this Alkaline track too :jamming: 

Mabel stays reminding me of Lumidee but with a much more appealing voice. 

Maggie & Sam Hunt :) 

• ATRL Moderator

I only like Better from Maggie :!ohno:

I am confused about this Mabel girl but I'll wait until she has an album. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.