• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLIME

• madonnas

• World Eater

• Tom Vercetti

2 more just bcuz :gaycat3:

http://img.wennermedia.com/660-width/spoon-hot-thoughts-053f4e41-c284-45bb-a7af-c6f7426ea955.jpg

i was trying to get out of town
you passed in an ambulance
we were in a trance
and now we're never gonna meet
but i feel you anyway

30. Spoon - Hot Thoughts

First let's get one thing clear, and that's that Spoon are the best band to come up in the last 20 years or so and imo it's not that close. Where a lot of Spoon albums are so great because of how well they commit to fleshing out a singular mood, their newest one on the other hand was way more all over the place. It's almost a little jarring jumping between songs that are classic Spoon all the way and ones that don't sound like much anything they've done before, but they still manage to pull it off because ultimately their quality control is A+++. Their experimenting gives way to a lot of fun colorful moments but at the end of the day the best moments come down to them still having that classic swagger, and when it hits it's contagious.

top peeps: Do I Have to Talk You Into It, First Caress

Spoiler

http://images.genius.com/b08ccdce49d2dc78a6abf5a8a46b076e.1000x1000x1.jpg

in new york i milly rock

hide it in my sock

runnin from an 'op

and i shoot at opp

wop, wop, wop wop,

and i'm on the block

29. Playboi Carti - Playboi Carti

Ok out of everything I've ever heard I think this tape is what comes closest to epitomizing not just mumble rap (#reclaim the phrase), but also the idea of style over substance ... in the best way possible. Carti is a straight up garbage rapper in the traditional sense so it would be easy to reduce this project to just being a beat tape (beats are fire no lie) and move on, but I feel v strongly there's something more at play here. When Young Thug was first rising and people started getting woke to the idea of "post-verbal" hip hop, they were on to something for sure but it also annoyed me bc Thugger himself is hella underrated as a stream of conscious lyricist. I cannot understate how this is not the case for Carti. His bars are really that bad. But over the course of 15 songs back to back, you start to get the sense that he knows what he's doing in a different way. Double dutching around the beats, ad-libbing a mile minute to where it's honestly hard to tell a lot of the time whether he's even doing a verse or not. There's room to improve for sure, I'm not saying it's a flawless project, but one tape in, he's already developed such an understanding of the power of his voice as an instrument that so many "better" rappers would kill for. And it REALLY is gonna bother me seeing ignorants talk him down on principle even though I understand this is shallow stuff on a surface level. But this is borderline revolutionary and you heard it here first, so hope Carti can rest easy with that knowledge.

top peeps: Location, New Choppa

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Eeveelution said:

Waxahatchee

Image result for did anyone try the chicken gif

PG. :clap3: 

Tell ha, fellow OWH :clap3:

Some...interesting choices but I liked this update

Agreed on the LCD description, and reasons why I liked their TH'd approach. I'm hoping it's not their last one. 

Calvin Harris for albums is certainly new. 

I like Playboi more than other new blood (uzi/yachty/malone) and his self titled is hella fun at times. 

wow bottom half of this list low key been a sausage fest maybe that's why I'm flopping?

3 more and then it starts to even out :eatpopcorn:

I like Waxahatchee a lot, dunno why I forgot about her album. 

Calvin Harris and Perfume Genius were both unexpectedly good, experimented with some new sounds and it payed off!

The Playboi Carti album was fun at times but tbh just not really my thing. I guess I like rap with more bleep bloops in them like RTJ/Yeezus? Sorrrry.

The new proto-st. vincent album was reliably great of course...

https://static.stereogum.com/uploads/2017/07/Moses-Sumney-Aromanticism-1499694864-640x640.jpg

with you, half the battle is proving that we're at war

i would give my life just for the privilege to ignore

don't call it a lover's quarrel

28. Moses Sumney - Aromanticism

It's not that I don't have much to say about this album, I'm just unsure how to describe it in a way that does it justice. I guess the #1 thing that stands out to me across all his work is that voice; I'm always a sucker for males who aren't afraid to hang around the falsetto region, but even most of those don't transmit with this amount of clarity. He's just in that elevated Brandy class where I could dead ass sit and listen to him sing anything for hours and be entertained the whole time. Taking vocals out of it, I'd say what the music most reminds me of is Vespertine what with all the crazy harp arrangements. Put em together and the result is just really striking, almost therapeutic and doesn't really sound like anything else out there which as time goes on is getting harder and harder to say.

top peeps: Quarrel, Lonely World

Spoiler

oh waxahatchee haters some m**t eaters who woulda thought!

7 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

Agreed on the LCD description, and reasons why I liked their TH'd approach. I'm hoping it's not their last one. 

Calvin Harris for albums is certainly new. 

I like Playboi more than other new blood (uzi/yachty/malone) and his self titled is hella fun at times. 

honestly so many of these new rappers are LEAGUES apart quality wise it's hard to even think about them in the same way, but yea Carti definitely got one of the hottest streaks going. i'm not sure about his plans for the follow-up but i hope he finds a way to push the sound forward

21 minutes ago, Penk said:

The Playboi Carti album was fun at times but tbh just not really my thing. I guess I like rap with more bleep bloops in them like RTJ/Yeezus? Sorrrry.

The new proto-st. vincent album was reliably great of course...

well it's definitely not as good as Yeezus so that's understandable. proto-SV as in Spoon tho? help!

https://images.genius.com/67e5b4e0572b354606cd0dc5529030ee.1000x1000x1.jpg

splish!

27. Miguel - War & Leisure

Safe to say he's dialed the scope back a tad from his previous two, which is slightly sad to think about but only a little because ultimately he's still Miguel and he still only knows how to write great songs. And in small doses it's actually refreshing to hear him interacting with the mainstream again. Just listen to Skywalker, then listen to any other Travis collab from the last 3 years and tell me there's not a sense of dynamism that's been missing in radio R&B for a while now. Even though this isn't really a political album, it is Miguel's idea of a political album, meaning there's kind of a looming threat of danger hanging over even the lighter tracks. But when he gets down to the serious stuff it works too, and I really respect how the closer is basically his attempt at a genuine, rational (one-sided) conversation with our "CEO of the free world." Obviously that's not something that's going to happen hence most engaged artists moving past that stage a while ago, but his idealism stands out and it's a welcome change of pace.

top peeps: Pineapple Skies, Now

Spoiler

https://consequenceofsound.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/freddie-gibbs-you-only-live-2wice-artwork.jpg?quality=80

did some things in life i know i don't want my daughter to do

****, got a list of things i don't want my daughter to do

please yourself or please your homies, man, what's harder to do?
on the blade, tryna get paid, choppin' hard with the crew

type of **** i did to make me feel a part of the crew

'til i cut my *****s off, now i'm apart from the crew

26. Freddie Gibbs - You Only Live 2wice

Ok honestly I didn't see this talked about that much in general, but I can only assume the elephant in the room now in a lot of conversations is that this was Freddie's first new music since getting acquitted on the rape charge from last summer. I just hope people know the facts about what really happened in this situation and why it's not the same as other sexual assault cases that have also been in the news recently. Obviously biggest thing is that no one deserves to have their life and career permanently tainted going off one false accusation, but it would also be unfort for a musical project this good to go ignored for the same reason.

ANYWAY this is basically his TFM, somewhere between an album and an EP. The case hangs over the vibe of things an extent, as one might expect a life event of that nature to do; he's bitter in spots, triumphant in others. But for someone who went through such a bad experience, he seems to have come out the other end in a pretty good place -- the album is kinda littered with positive messages about playing to your strengths in the world/not comparing yourself to others, how growing up and/or starting a family can change around your priorities for the better, etc -- things everyone can take little pieces from, not just other famous rappers. It's just a nice slight change after the combined effect of a lot of his previous work had him looking pretty jaded at the world tbh.

And you know I love me some mumble rap but ALSO a nice change to hear someone rapping it up like this ...over beats like this in 2017. Man is a whirlwind with a great production team (shouts Kaytranada) and I'm glad he made it home.

top peeps: 24K Jesus, Homesick

Spoiler

I'm waiting on Freddie's main course (Bandana, hopefully next year) but 2wice was a nice appetizer. The Sade/Mobb Deep sample on Crushed Glass is also a highlight I might add. 

War isn't on Kaldeiscope/Wildheart boundary but like u said, it's Miguel so the project is bound to be enjoyable regardless.

the list so far btw :)

Spoiler

50. Paramore - After Laughter

49. Father John Misty - Pure Comedy

48. Sheer Mag - Need to Feel Your Love

47. Roc Marciano - Rosebudd's Revenge

46. Alvvays - Antisocialites

45. The Horrors - V

44. Algiers - The Underside of Power

43. King Krule - The OOZ

42. Migos - Culture

41. Forest Swords - Compassion

40. Thundercat - Drunk

39. Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up

38. SZA - Ctrl

37. Ibeyi - Ash

36. Dirty Projectors - Dirty Projectors

35. Perfume Genius - No Shape

34. LCD Soundsystem - american dream

33. Charly Bliss - Guppy

32. Calvin Harris - Funk Wav Bounces Vol.1

31. Waxahatchee - Out in the Storm

30. Spoon - Hot Thoughts

29. Playboi Carti - Playboi Carti

28. Moses Sumney - Aromanticism

27. Miguel - War & Leisure

26. Freddie Gibbs - You Only Live 2wice

• ATRL Moderator

I promise I'll listen to the Playboy album!

If you listening to Saturation II

miguel's album was cute. maybe a little tame for him, he's more entertaining when he's doing the most. hot thoughts was good too. 

tho am still reeling from ctrl being blonde'd like this

Zl7NeOq.gif

Right, production-wise, 2wice is one of the nicest albums of the year. It got repeated listens from me.

I'm already over War & Leisure as an album (tho I don't think I was ever here for it) but its standouts are so fire 

20 hours ago, Kang. said:

proto-SV as in Spoon tho? help!

Yeah!

Hot Thoughts and WarxLeisure were fire

Playboi Carti seems like one of the less offensive rappers on the radio at least. 

Edited by jose168

Spoiler

On 12/19/2017 at 0:05 PM, madonnas said:

I promise I'll listen to the Playboy album!

If you listening to Saturation II

done :-*

On 12/19/2017 at 5:34 PM, bluth said:

tho am still reeling from ctrl being blonde'd like this

Zl7NeOq.gif

i'll be interested to see if it grows on me, i could see it since it already has of course

but then i've always been more of a nostalgic bisexual than a side chick so hard to compare

and like... where on that track list is her self CTRL?

Zl7NeOq.gif

On 12/19/2017 at 6:14 PM, AlexisNeiers said:

Moses snapped :clap3: YOL2 would be my fav Freddie project if it wasn't for Piñata :jonny:

mine too :chick3:

On 12/19/2017 at 6:23 PM, Playa Playa said:

Right, production-wise, 2wice is one of the nicest albums of the year. It got repeated listens from me.

I'm already over War & Leisure as an album (tho I don't think I was ever here for it) but its standouts are so fire 

legit such a good mixture esp. with his voice just flowing on top. already feeling like i underrated it but hopefully he can bring the same whenever the next full length drops

On 12/19/2017 at 6:49 PM, Wicked said:

Everyone forgetting the best song on W&L has me fuming.

there's one i held out on mentioning bc it's finna show up on the songs list :duck: just tell me it's not the J. Cole song??

On 12/19/2017 at 10:25 PM, jose168 said:

Hot Thoughts and WarxLeisure were fire

Playboi Carti seems like one of the less offensive rappers on the radio at least. 

hm careful young'n but true

my bad, no wifi at my grandma's last night but some more coming up!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.