All done! | Kang's oozy best of '17

SLIME

Thunda!

I was anticipating the Fleet Foxes album but they kind of lost me in between their comeback single and the album release.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLIME

• madonnas

• World Eater

• Tom Vercetti

https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/5883/5883200_sa.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

i've had enough of petty dues

i've heard enough of ****ty news

i've had a thing for dirty shoes since i was 10

love dirty men alike

38. SZA - Ctrl

Nice to see her succeed overall this year, but more specifically kinda funny watching the public beat the critics to the punch. I can see why it happened tho. Waay more than anything she's put out before this year, there's a super individualistic touch running all through this one, not just in the confessional lyrics but in the disregard for typical clean R&B structures. I might personally dig the more mystical #wavy production style from her mixtapes over this new boom bap touch, but tastes aside the sound of her coming into her own as an artist/songwriter is apparent from the jump, so just natural for people to have been drawn in. More than most albums this is one where I've been able to find something brand new to appreciate every time I've gone back, so I'm excited both for this to continue happening and to see where her next step takes her.

top peeps: Drew Barrymore, Anything

Spoiler

• ATRL Moderator

love her stream of consciousness writing.  

https://rollingstoneaus.com/assets/Uploads/Ibeyi-Ash-Cover-4000-130717.jpg

you talk to me
i feel you walking by my side
take my hand
i'll save myself

37. Ibeyi - Ash

I read in an interview that they're not big on the "world music" label, and I can totally sympathize against the idea of your artistic output being reduced to where you're from in the world. But with Ibeyi it's a little different because this music is at least partially intended to reflect the struggle/realities of people from outside the Western media bubble -- which I think it does a great job of without being preachy at all. I think they also understand the relationship between music and meaning better than most; just a few too many haunting melodies that dropping at the exact right times for it to be a coincidence. Recommend.

top peeps: Deathless, When Will I Learn

Spoiler

https://media.pitchfork.com/photos/5929c182abf31b7dc715662a/1:1/w_600/26d7a32c.jpg

first time i ever kissed your mouth, we both felt time stop

my heart, it leapt up, wow jumped from a mountaintop

then i knew: maybe i could be with you

do the things that lovers do

slughtly domesticate you

and write you "stillness is the move"

36. Dirty Projectors - Dirty Projectors

One of the messiest albums of this year 5 SURE, but in its defense I don't see it as the mean-spirited gesture some made it out to be -- just the sound of someone spilling his heart out uncontrollably while working through a tough process, and for about a month I found it pretty hard to look away. I think the broad narrative reflecting that breakup process was a bit overlooked in favor of a few gossip-baity moments, and that the songs taken as a whole actually show a good amount of reflection/self awareness/improvement, lest we forget that's a process too. I wouldn't say the music itself is totally front and center, + it for sure isn't pushing boundaries left and right how it was on the last two albums. Buuut this is still some weird ass pop where almost every song has a crrrazy moment or two which helps keeps up the replay value. It's just a lot to take in, but if you give it a chance maybe your jaded heart too can heal like Dave's blue balls on the cover.

top peeps: Ascent Through Clouds, Up in Hudson

Spoiler

<3 gonna update op (AND COMMENT ON EVERYONE ELSE'S) tomorrow along with more but for now the list so far:

Spoiler

50. Paramore - After Laughter

49. Father John Misty - Pure Comedy

48. Sheer Mag - Need to Feel Your Love

47. Roc Marciano - Rosebudd's Revenge

46. Alvvays - Antisocialites

45. The Horrors - V

44. Algiers - The Underside of Power

43. King Krule - The OOZ

42. Migos - Culture

41. Forest Swords - Compassion

40. Thundercat - Drunk

39. Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up

38. SZA - Ctrl

37. Ibeyi - Ash

36. Dirty Projectors - Dirty Projectors

8 hours ago, Wicked said:

CTRL is too high, otherwise great list!

Knew u were gonna get at me for that one fgfd. I didn't quite -connect- to it the way others seemed to but she's a cool girl

8 hours ago, Blond(e) said:

Apology NOT accepted

Zl7NeOq.gif

What do I have to do to make it up to you

Zl7NeOq.gif

https://media.pitchfork.com/photos/5929c3d85e6ef9596932390c/1:1/w_600/9ed94a94.jpg

don't look back, i want to break free

if you'll never see em coming

you'll never have to hide

35. Perfume Genius - No Shape

This one didn't make a lot of sense to me on first listen, but after letting some of the singles grow on me over the year I eventually got back to the full album and found a lot of the ~mysteries snapping into place much easier. I'm not exactly the biggest fan of his past catalog, but from what I've gathered I see this one as a mix between the experimentation of No Shape and the quieter intimacy of his earlier work. Maybe it's just the cover but to me the whole thing gives a strong running through the forest (or up that hill? ? ?) barefoot vibe, which isn't something you get every day from most artists who start off making piano ballads.

Also thinking about and reading some of the lyrics now, I think this album especially could have hit me a lot harder had I first heard it at a different time just because of what was happening in my life later in the year compared to earlier -- he gets into some poignant topics etc. Props to him though for hooking me mostly with the music alone, I'm really glad I was able to come around to it.

top peeps: Run Me Through, Wreath

Spoiler

https://www.residentadvisor.net/images/reviews/2017/lcd-soundsystem-american-dream-.jpg

wake up with somebody near you
and at someone else's place
you took acid and looked in the mirror
watched the beard crawl around on your face
oh, the revolution was here
that would set you free from those bourgeoisie
in the morning everything's clearer
when the sunlight exposes your age

but that's okay

34. LCD Soundsystem - american dream

Here we have a really well-made album -- gorgeous production, a lot of stylistic variety, clever lyrics that hit pretty hard coming from JMurph especially -- that I just don't feel particularly strongly about and haven't had much of an urge to revisit, so that's something I had to consider doing the ranking. But they've always been more of a mood band for me anyway, and as far as LCD albums go I do think this stands up with the rest of theirs. I think this album has something for everyone no matter your favorite ~category of song by them; the more uptempo Talking Heads-style banger(s), emotional dance ballads etc, Losing My Head-esque aging hipster rants. are all about equally good and there's definitely plenty of moments that WOW me when I put them on. Would be ok with not having to wait 7 years for the next one.

top peeps: Call the Police, How Do You Sleep?

Spoiler

• ATRL Moderator

Glad DP made it!  Tho your picks are questionable! 

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a3208327090_5.jpg

i wish that i could make a trade

the sun is hot

i try not to see my friends with clocks for head

it makes me think about it more instead

33. Charly Bliss - Guppy

I'm glad this album is so short tbh because I don't know how long I can take Carly Rae seeing Weezer in one sitting, but for 29 mins at a time it's great. That comparison on its own sounds kinda wild, but it works because you really do get the best of both worlds: that huge pop sugar rush every time a chorus hits, with the punch of those guitars keeping the momentum up in between. Obviously style isn't everything though so luckily there's substance underneath in the form of good old fashioned quality songwriting. I probably could have gone like 3 weeks after my first listen and still remembered how most of these songs go because they're that direct and they stick in your mind. And well Weezer isn't really doing any of that anymore.

top peeps: Percolator, Black Hole

Spoiler

https://i.scdn.co/image/5e9722f99e71ad424a3a8e46a4f7c5998460b885

remember the time i put those pepperonis on your face

made you a creature?

now i think about you every single time i eat pizza

ohhhh

32. Calvin Harris - Funk Wav Bounces Vol.1

Who... saw this coming? Not I! I mean WFL was good, but in the wake of that success I'd thought he'd squandered basically all of his musical potential on his way toward becoming one of bland EDM's worst offenders. I still don't know if this new look was more of a passion project or going black was just his way of pissing Taylor off, but the difference is night and day. This is just the perfect summer cookout album that doesn't try to be anything more. Somewhat reliant on the features ofc and some of those are better than others, but their presence as a whole just contributes to that block party feel and makes it really hard for me to keep the good mood away whenever it's on.

top peeps: Cash Out, Slide

Spoiler

Just now, theblackestday said:

Image result for did anyone try the chicken gif

You + these controversial statements

Don't worry I think ur really gonna like the next one

b0q49.gif

why is ctrl so low on everyone's tbh! it will be ur blonde of 2018 truss. i was about to throw a tantrum @ it being below perfume genius + lcd but u made it up with guppy. u know how to treat me right babe

Zl7NeOq.gif

http://thefader-res.cloudinary.com/private_images/w_760,c_limit,f_auto,q_auto:best/594_waxahatchee_900_ixh4sc/waxahatchee-out-in-the-storm-album-silver-video-katie-crutchfield.jpg

for a moment i was not lost
i was waiting for permission to take off

31. Waxahatchee - Out in the Storm

She's another one whose priority clearly isn't doing new things at the moment (Cerulean Salt still feels unique-ish tbf), but I can forgive that more easily with artists who are great at what they do. One difference from her last album is that the lo-fi sound is totally gone; Everything Now sounds reaally professional and clear which is just as nice in a different way. There's also a breakup narrative that while again is nothing groundbreaking, still gives more weight to the biggest moments and makes it easier to invest in the full play-through Lemonade style. The ATRL hate brigade in shambles

top peeps: Silver, No Question

Spoiler

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.