All done! | Kang's oozy best of '17

SLIME

i got it, i got it, i got it, i got it, i got it, i got it
i got it, i got it, i got it, i g-yeah

I love the female Bob Dylan, Pop 2 is a masterpiece.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLIME

• madonnas

• World Eater

• Tom Vercetti

I only listened to Pop 2 in full once but it was nice from what I remember. I need to find time to listen to Charli's 2017 material thoroughly. Never got around to Plunge but I'll get to that one for sure.

Loving the list so far! Plunge and Black Origami are a blast.

And yeah, Pop 2 was really the late year slay. I'm excited to sit with the project

Edited by Playa Playa

Spoiler

On 12/30/2017 at 11:11 PM, Tom Vercetti said:

I didn't give RJT3 enough time. And it kind of did sound more of the same for the couple of listens I gave it so it didn't stand out much to me. Their release strategy did mess some things up tho YE list wise, kinda messy when folks were putting it on both the 2016 and 2017 timelines but hey :michael: 

I always considered it a 2017 release and they were just being nice with the xmas drop but I get it if ur a stickler for release dates. it was kinda all I listened to at least until Angel and _____ dropped tho so I would feel wack not including.

On 12/30/2017 at 11:36 PM, Wicked said:

I have yet to listen to any RTJ albums...

well maybe 1 is the best introduction but don't listen to Pink Matter, 2 is where it's really at!

On 1/1/2018 at 1:19 PM, Navyofbadgals said:

RTJ :clap3: 

Funny how you mentioned Hey Kids (Bumaye) tho, it's prob my least favorite on the album.

if being a sucker for Danny Brown is wrong? well then I don't wanna be right :smitten:

On 1/1/2018 at 2:07 PM, AlexisNeiers said:

RTJ3 was fine, but didn't really do much for me :chick1:

Pop 2 is still growing on me, love your picks from it :clap3:

And Plunge, whew, Miss Fever Del Ray did that :alexz:

Fever Del Ray I'm screaming sksslls. Glad the Pop train is still chugging along, a grower >>

On 1/1/2018 at 2:09 PM, madonnas said:

I feel like Plunge does sorta sound inspired by Deep Cuts but I mean it's so different esp. lyrically and it's definitely a 2017 record. 

I'm a bad stan for listening to Heartbeats 5050505050505 times and never that album in full tbh but yea was gonna mention that's probably the closest sound. until I forgot.

22 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

I only listened to Pop 2 in full once but it was nice from what I remember. I need to find time to listen to Charli's 2017 material thoroughly. Never got around to Plunge but I'll get to that one for sure.

did you ever listen to N1A? might be an easier place to start. but yea I love everything she does, every 2017 song and feature (xcxluding Emotional >>>)

and idk if you ever got into the knife but would rec their albums 5 sure if you dig Plunge at all, the swedes just do it better.

22 hours ago, Eeveelution said:

i got it, i got it, i got it, i g-yeah

I love the female Bob Dylan, Pop 2 is a masterpiece.

was surprised to see the mixed reception on that one ... and then I wasn't.

15 hours ago, Playa Playa said:

Loving the list so far! Plunge and Black Origami are a blast.

And yeah, Pop 2 was really the late year slay. I'm excited to sit with the project

2013 - Beyoncé

2014 - D'Angelo

2015 - Jeremih

2016 - RTJ

2017 - XCX

I wonder who it's gonna be next year :chick2:

And love sitting.

couple more otw!

http://images.genius.com/14b615ad2e63041feea5e12bdb1f8729.1000x1000x1.jpg

you know i left, i flew the nest
and you know i won't be long
and in my chest you know me best
and you know i'll be back home

8. Sampha - Process

An excellent reminder that just because we're used to hearing someone in a supporting role doesn't mean they can't shine harder on their own. Compared to some of his """"alt R&B"""" peers Sampha doesn't seem as interested in pushing boundaries musically, but he knows how to write a great song and sell it within an inch of his life, which is what I care about most. This album has multiple moments that are legit Strange Fruit-level emoting, and even when he's not going in for the kill (so to speak) his voice is more than enough to keep me wrapped up in the stories he tells. There's a lotttt of pain clearly embedded in the foundation of these big moments, but almost a kind of gospel feel holding it all together which creates a feeling of unspoken hope to balance it out. So overall it's a much more cathartic experience than a depressing one. While a good chunk of the production elements feel totally removed from time, there are enough modern touches (the hospital/space station noises opening Plastic, the Blood on Me drums etc.) that the overall feel is a pretty timeless one. And stunning me on first listen then holding up just as well 12 months later is always a good sign of that.

top peeps: Plastic 100°C, Timmy's Prayer, (No One Knows Me) Like the Piano

Spoiler

• ATRL Moderator

didn't listen! 

Black Origami is excellent and I could recognize this without being familiar with footwork music beforehand as well :alexz:

Pop 2 is SO good. I assumed it'd be tragic considering I wasn't a fan of N1A and that Out of My Head is the worst song of all time, but whew I'm glad she proved me wrong. Too bad it came out after my Best Of cause it might've made my top 25 :sherlock:

Process is great although your top peeps aren't :clap3:

Plunge, well, it's my AOTY basically :clown: Glad to see it in your top 10! You're so good with words btw.

Finally someone with Process in their top 10 :jonny: Plastic and Timmy's Prayer are def highlights too!

https://static.stereogum.com/uploads/2017/04/a2445358277_10-1491239176-640x640.jpg

is the truth trapped
behind iron lock and key?
have you buried all the evidence of what you used to be?
has the question
become darker than the answer?
baby, i've got news

7. (Sandy) Alex G - Rocket

(The) sound of a super promising young writer finding his voice, deciding one voice is not enough and then finding a couple more. Y'all might know am farrrrrrr from a country fan, but I absolutely cannot get enough of the Americana-style bangers/ballads here. There's something about the ~traditional vibe that brings all the emotion to the forefront, and the fiddles and co. make the perfect backdrop to his longing vocal style. At the same time, his lyrics are packed with double meanings that always keep you second guessing and kind of result in it all coming off with a wink, even if he really is getting at heavy stuff. (But) I also love the noise experiments that break up the album in the middle and even see their influences creeping into some of the more traditional songs. I appreciate that he would rather push himself and get a little ugly sometimes than lock himself down to one sound so early in his career, plus even with these tracks included the album is cohesive enough as it is. (Outside) maybe 5ish highlights I would say the rest of the album plays more like a collection of sketches than a sequence of fully developed songs, but it's clearly the work of a creative mind, and as sketches I ****ing love pretty much all of them so. Would probably even put this a little higher if I hadn't just typed all this out now, but either way one of my favorite discoveries of 2017 for sure. (And) I know he already has a huge ass back catalog too, so looking forward to diving into that in the new year.

top peeps: Bobby, Sportstar, Brick

Spoiler

• ATRL Moderator
25 minutes ago, Kang. said:

https://static.stereogum.com/uploads/2017/04/a2445358277_10-1491239176-640x640.jpg

is the truth trapped
behind iron lock and key?
have you buried all the evidence of what you used to be?
has the question
become darker than the answer?
baby, i've got news

7. (Sandy) Alex G - Rocket

(The) sound of a super promising young writer finding his voice, deciding one voice is not enough and then finding a couple more. Y'all might know am farrrrrrr from a country fan, but I absolutely cannot get enough of the Americana-style bangers/ballads here. There's something about the ~traditional vibe that brings all the emotion to the forefront, and the fiddles and co. make the perfect backdrop to his longing vocal style. At the same time, his lyrics are packed with double meanings that always keep you second guessing and kind of result in it all coming off with a wink, even if he really is getting at heavy stuff. (But) I also love the noise experiments that break up the album in the middle and even see their influences creeping into some of the more traditional songs. I appreciate that he would rather push himself and get a little ugly sometimes than lock himself down to one sound so early in his career, plus even with these tracks included the album is cohesive enough as it is. (Outside) maybe 5ish highlights I would say the rest of the album plays more like a collection of sketches than a sequence of fully developed songs, but it's clearly the work of a creative mind, and as sketches I ****ing love pretty much all of them so. Would probably even put this a little higher if I hadn't just typed all this out now, but either way one of my favorite discoveries of 2017 for sure. (And) I know he already has a huge ass back catalog too, so looking forward to diving into that in the new year.

top peeps: Bobby, Sportstar, Brick

Reveal hidden contents

HMMMM not a fan of this one ! glad someone liked it tho

I see what you mean about how most of the songs serve as some sort of sketches rather than developed songs, but it works so well. Judge, Horse and Brick are my favorites and they probably fall under the “sketches”. Definitely one of my favorite 2017 discoveries too, didn’t expect to love it as much as I did!

https://www.residentadvisor.net/images/reviews/2017/warpcd287.jpg

there's a lot going on, let it out

find a light in cold color

finding me, finding a bed of roses

i think i know me now

6. Kelela - Take Me Apart

See my first sentence about Sampha. Kelela showed a lot of promise from the jump with Cut 4 Me in 2013 then even more with Hallucinogen, but only on her debut album did it feel like that potential had finally crystallized into a fully formed collection of SONGS. Proud of her! The songs themselves are a tad less experimental than she's been in the past, but on the flipside they're also much more concrete and memorable. It's fun to imagine a past era or an alternate universe where this sound could have ruled R&B radio. And if that's the tradeoff she needed to make to give us a ballad/closer as amazing as Altadena then I'll take it. As a vocalist she showcases strength and vulnerability at the same time -- it's a sexy combination -- and the production is always right there behind her to emphasize without upstaging. Awesome use of interludes too to break up the sequencing and keep the party flowing smoothly. That ending 1-2-3-4-5 punch is just ... wow! Love looking at yall's lists and seeing a different highlight pop up on almost every one; just goes to show how there's something here for everyone -- let me remind you.~ :alexz3:

top peeps: Blue Light, Altadena, Frontline

Spoiler

Had a feeling Sampha would come through since his Dual EP.

Rocket was (fun) with the mini ideas it had. 

The amount of different favorites for Kelela goes to show her power.

I think I have a clue of what the majority of the top 5 will be, other than the order ofc, i'm no psychic. 

Kelela and Sampha :clap3: 

I don't think there's been a single TMA track that hasn't been claimed as someone's favorite. AHHH my ****ing fave, she did that

giphy.gif

I love how you describe Sampha's strengths :clap3:

When Kelela was talking about C4M being a mixtape and TMA being an album, I was like "yeah, okay, whatever"...But this time it really does show. I don't think my favourite song on the album has been included on a ATRL songs countdown yet (or at least the ones I'm following), so yeah it's a consistent, acclaimed body of work. Whew.

Take Me Apart. :clap3: You better stan Altadena... a career highlight!

I'm gonna check out Alex G later tonight (hopefully) while I do some write ups. Take Me Apart is, of course, a slay so it's great to see it get that acclaim :clap3: Great song picks too!

Love looking at yall's lists and seeing a different highlight pop up on almost every one; just goes to show how there's something here for everyone -- let me remind you

aye :-*

@Kang. listen up, you have a few days, as do I. Finish up.

1) this Pond album is cute, maybe a nice #40-something but oh well :emofish:

2) ok Shaking the Habitual isn't a dumpster fire! it may have just been too much for my high school brain at the time. but Plunge still outsold.

3) sorry for slipping on yalls threads too but am catching up. tryna have my albums done within 24 and then songs will be easy to blow thru after

On 1/2/2018 at 3:35 PM, theblackestday said:

Plunge, well, it's my AOTY basically :clown: Glad to see it in your top 10! You're so good with words btw.

On 1/3/2018 at 1:34 PM, Playa Playa said:

I love how you describe Sampha's strengths :clap3:

mess these writeups legit give me anxiety so the nice words mean a lot. :clown: I just hope my TMA fav isn't one of the basic ones.

On 1/2/2018 at 8:37 PM, Tom Vercetti said:

Had a feeling Sampha would come through since his Dual EP.

Rocket was (fun) with the mini ideas it had. 

The amount of different favorites for Kelela goes to show her power.

I think I have a clue of what the majority of the top 5 will be, other than the order ofc, i'm no psychic. 

Well I never wanna be predictable but gotta give credit where it's due. Hopefully I can surprise a bit.

On 1/7/2018 at 1:36 AM, MP2K said:

aye :-*

@Kang. listen up, you have a few days, as do I. Finish up.

:-*

@Kang. I'm gonna need you to pick up the pace. We got 5 days left :matty:

Spoiler

@Pink Matter @minho @bluth @Wicked @theblackestday @Eeveelution @madonnas @AlexisNeiers @Playa Playa @Tom Vercetti @jose168 @Vxspertine @Navyofbadgals @MP2K

Sorry 4 the tag just nut sure who's still checking this section zzzz

Priests%20MAIN.jpg

it's a long movie
a long movie and you are not you
you are not you
you are not you
you are not you
contestant, contestant
you're on Wheel of Fortune

5. Priests - Nothing Feels Natural

So I don't always need my music to be angry like this, but this dropped at pretty much the perfect time to be mad at the world. I wouldn't describe it as a political album in response to any one political event though, as most of their topics relate more broadly to the ****ed up nature of our society itself, the systems that stay screwing us regardless of who's sitting in office. Luckily the album is never a drag the same way that similar ones can be, partly because they have a sense of humor about the same things they're attacking. Maybe sometimes it's intentional and sometimes it's not, but I love the way their one-liners clue you in to what they're getting with a little bit of a wink at the same time (favorite: "I THOUGHT I WAS A COWBOY BECAUSE I / SMOKED REDS"). I don't listen to a ton of punk so my reference points could be off, but on the surface they give me heavy Sleater-Kinney. What I love the most though is how they incorporate different genres into the formula to mix it up; there's a great surf rock vibe running through most of the record, while the closer is pretty much Talking Heads doing 'House of Jealous Lovers' (<3). Even if it was never my one deepest obsession at any time, this album sounded just as great every time I threw it on throughout the year so it was always something I looked forward to returning to. Hope it doesn't take them 5 years for the next one.

top peeps: Jj, Suck, Appropriate

Spoiler

104881.jpeg

if i'm feelin funny, guaranteed gon' flash

**** back, blast, put 'em in a bag

prolly gon regret it in the retrospect

got a lot of problems i ain't let go yet

4. Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory

Well everyone's free to choose their own adventure, but I'd much rather follow Vince into the future than the past any day. I think it says everything it needs to about who he is as a rapper that this is pretty much his version of the "hey I made it" album. It has everything we've come to expect from a VS project -- plenty of **** talk, plenty of insightful reflection on his place in the world especially now that he's found success in it, plenty of slightly unnerving guest features -- but it's those BEATS that keep it feeling truly new. There may be fewer bars total this time around, but every time he's on you can trust he's saying something worth listening to. And when he's not on, no need to feel guilty about blasting it all the way up like something ignorant. From a straight musical standpoint this is kinda miles ahead of any other rap I heard this year, but it's got just enough of that classic West Coast bounce that unlike some other mind-expanding hip hop, it's not something I have to be in any kind of mood for. One could say it splish splashes in the submarine, just hope that does it justice.

top peeps: Crabs in a Bucket, Homage, BagBak

Spoiler

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.