HONESTLY, 2017. - Singles/Albums TOP 10! / finished!!! :)

TRF.

On 11/12/2017 at 0:33 AM, Tom Vercetti said:

The gifs and names mentioned are already a good sign. 

9 hours ago, ChapelHooker said:

here for this, like a lot of the artists you mentioned in the OP so this should be interesting.jpg

On 11/12/2017 at 0:54 AM, jpow said:

Good taste in the OP so far, I’m perched

giphy.gif

right boos?

giphy.gif

23 hours ago, Slut said:

06bbd01930f59ec4bcb7dbbf386a8c85--reaction-pictures-dashboards.jpg

lol

6 hours ago, Red said:

Well, you probably figured that I'd show up here at some point. :foot:

Honestly, Red.

yes I did :hug: you're literally one of the best people on this site so I knew you'd come :keir:

5 hours ago, mxtthewdelrey said:

oh wow, bring the taste legend!

also i used the SOPHIE font for my best of two years ago not that i finished it xxxxx

wow, legends only! Mxtthew finish your best of challenge!

----

OK, so first update coming tomorrow! First part of my Top 25 EPs.

zIUfAfN.gif

(also if someone could help me use the spoiler tag it'd be very nice and useful :foot:)

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRF.

• Lazuli

• World Eater

• Topmaster 2

Wait I love this gif

giphy.gif

Also I always love your Best Ofs. I'll be here!

Will be a nice one as always :duca: I know our tastes don't overlap too much but I got into some more ~alternative~ acts this year so we'll see if any of them are on here :gaycat3: Ready for Lorde + Paramore to snatch!

1xNzvl6.png

50JRgEH.png

qerXx5h.png

#25. ‘1UL’ by Danny L Harle (Bubblegum Bass/Electropop)

PC Music has always toyed between commercial dance-pop and experimental music, but this seems to be most straight-forward approach the former. Even though it could be improved in some ways, the EP ‘1UL’ contains Danny L Harle’s strongest material. The title track could easily be a number one hit if promoted the right way, and his collaboration with Carly Rae Jepsen “Happy All the Time”, despite not featuring Carly herself on the vocals, still has all the charisma of any of her pop anthems. It would be interesting to see how would his music translate to a full-length release, but if this is a little teaser, we should not worry.

Highlights: “1UL”, “Happy All the Time”

LQmksnB.png

#24. 'Paradise' by ANOHNI (Art Pop/Electropop)

Last year, former Antony and the Johnson frontwoman ANOHNI released her debut solo album 'HOPELESSNESS', which was one of the most critically acclaimed albums of 2016, due its heavily political lyrical content and its production, handled by Oneohtrix Point Never and Hudson Mohawke. 'Paradise' is essentially a compilation B-sides from that album, which is mostly fine. The big single from this album is the title track, which is one of her best tracks under this moniker, but there are also some other nice tracks that, despite not being as good as the ones on her main album, are still worth a shot.

Let's hope she's not retiring :'(

Highlights: "Paradise", "Jesus Will Kill You"

njZxUXy.png

#23. ‘Steve Lacy’s Demo’ by Steve Lacy (Hypnagogic Pop/Alternative R&B)

Even though Steve Lacy is only 19 years old (and 18 at the time when he released his debut EP) he already has a quite long list of collaborators. After becoming a member of neo-soul band The Internet in 2015, he went on to work with Isaiah Rashad, Kali Uchis, Tyler the Creator and even Kendrick Lamar on one of the highlights of his latest album ‘DAMN.’, the song “Pride”. But his debut EP ‘Steve Lacy’s Demo’ remains one of, if not his strongest work. Even though it is quite short and seemingly simple, it feels like a really strong take on the post-Mac DeMarco sound of vaguely-psychedelic lo-fi indie-pop. But Steve’s own sound feels more full overall due to his strong melodies and excellent voice. We really need a full length album from this guy pretty soon, by the way.

Highlights: “Dark Red”, “Some”

V2p58Z7.png

#22. ‘Unalloyed, Unlicensed, All Night Long’ by Jesse Osborne-Lanthier (IDM)

The term “deconstructed club music” is thrown out way too easily these days, but it rarely ever feels accurate. Jesse-Osborne Lanthier’s latest EP for the Raster-Noton series, the last in their Unun series, is definitely “club” music, while simultaneously being challenging of its purpose and overall sound and aesthetic. Tracks like “Blackwell Dynonetics” or “Lick and a Promise” take elements from commercial EDM or trance, but doesn’t feel like a cliché, in fact, what Jesse does seems to be stripping it down to its most basic elements (like on “The Zika Slam”, where he takes that to its literal extreme) and it sounds like nothing else. Whether that is a “deconstruction” of typical club tropes is entirely based on the listener’s opinion, but one thing is certain, this EP actually sounds “fun” and promising for Jesse’s upcoming work.

Highlights: “Blackwell Dynonetics”, “Lick and a Promise” 

JWUcDlu.png

#21. ‘Sudan Archives’ by Sudan Archives (Folktronica/Art Pop)

Sudan Archives is the project of singer, songwriter, producer and violinist Brittney Denis Parks, and this is her proper debut under this moniker. Having been part of a rather conventional pop and R&B band in her teens, she decided to take her own path as an experimental electronic artist, taking inspiration from Sudanese music, specially its usage of pentatonic scales and fiddles, as well the usage of violin in a non-traditionally Western way. But the R&B and pop influences are still very present on the record, overall it sounds a midpoint between tUnE-yArDs' deconstructed folk and FKA twigs' electronic-soul music, and definitely presents a very promising future for the artist.

Highlights: "Come Meh Way", "Paid"

GRAmRPR.png

#20. ‘Skin Companion EP II’ by Flume (Wonky/UK Bass)

Flume is one of the few producers who helped shaping the commercial club sound of the decade. But unlike all the other “chilltrap”/”future bass”/whatever producers, you can really tell when you are listening to a Flume song. And if his latest album ‘Skin’ was not enough, his companion EPs should not leave you a single doubt about it. The second one of those is probably the most “leftfield” out of them. Opening song “Enough” (feat. Pusha-T, delivering an excellent performance) is one of the most aggressive, jaw-dropping rap tracks that are closer to Death Grips than anything else. His other collaborations with Moses Sumney and indie-pop group Glass Animals have a more R&B-vibe which melts perfectly with the smooth production. It is dance music, it might get played in the radio, but it still feels unique. And extremely fun. Also, if you are not convinced about Flume’s greatness, just go to one of his shows. He really delivers.

Highlights: “Enough” (feat. Pusha-T), “Weekend” (feat. Moses Sumney)

Vxvg9AE.png

#19. ‘KILL’ by Nkisi (Afro-House/Acid Techno/Hardcore EDM)

The Belgian-Congolese, London-based producer Nkisi is one of the founding members of the Afro-diasporic collective NON, and despite releasing a lot of killer music throughout these past few years and delivering excellent DJ sets as well, she never released an actual EP until now. ‘KILL’ shows everything that makes her one of the most interesting producers as of lately. In this release, hard-hitting techno, house, hardcore dance music, trance, kuduro (and smooth organic sounds that sound influenced by Central-African folk music and coupé-decalé, as you can hear on the rhythmic title track) and even the often-forgotten genre of gabber coexist - and all of that actually sounds cohesive. And if you are a fan of dance music, it should be impossible to miss this one.

Highlights: “Parched Lips”, “Kill”

etURjGv.png

#18. 'Tommy' by Klein (Sound Collage/Ambient Pop/Glitch)

By looking at this EP's cover (one of them, anyway) you might suppose this comes from PC Music... in a way, it kinda does, as the cover was made by Hannah Diamond. But, the music sounds nothing like it. At all. Having released music under NON Worldwide and Howling Owl, this is Klein's first release under Hyperdub... and doesn't sound like anything else ever done. While she has always done a very experimental take on the pop, R&B and gospel music she was raised with, this is absolutely unbelievable. One of the most mind-bending and occasionally disturbing releases of the year, probably the midpoint between Tim Hecker and like... Brandy. But still, completely unique.

Highlights: "Cry Theme", "Everlong"

ZDfWjf5.png

#17. 'All Bitches Die' by Lingua Ignota (Death Industrial/Modern Classical)

This is probably one of the most abrasive releases of the year, but also one of the most vulnerable and personal. This is Lingua Ignota's (the project of musician Kristin Hayter) second EP this year, and explores themes of domestic violence and abuse in a very raw, angsty yet emotional way. But it also has some of the most interesting music to come this year, a combination of loud industrial-noise similar to that of Pharmakon or Dreamcrusher, combined with piano-and-vocal-centered classical music. It is not very accessible for those who are not already into those genres of music, but it still is an incredible, one-of-its-kind records.

Highlights: "Woe to All (on the Day of My Wrath)", "Holy is the Name (of My Ruthless Axe)"

cdtr69V.png

#16. 'Shaneera' by Fatima Al Qadiri (UK Bass/Arabic Pop)

Fatima Al Qadiri has always been an artist who has explored the concept of identity and culture in a political context, from the fixation on Orientalism in 'Asiatisch', to the oppressive nature of 'Brute'. However, on 'Shaneera', she decides to take on LGBT identity in Arab countries. This is not only her best release to date because of its concept, but also because of its production. 'Shaneera' is probably her most fun, dancefloor-oriented project to date, mixing UK club music with Arabic pop and mahraganat, as well as funny and attitude-filled vocal samples from her collaborators, in a very inventive and unusual way.

Highlights: "Spiral" (feat. Bobo Secret), "Alkahaf" (feat. Bobo Secret and Lama3an)

KlP0HkK.png

#15. 'Whities 011' by Lanark Artefax (IDM/UK Bass)

Irish producer Calum MacRae has been music as Lanark Artefax for a couple of years, and has big fans such as Aphex Twin or Björk. His second EP, 'Whities 011', is a big example of why. A combination of techno, IDM, UK bass, grime and ambient music that sounds like both a combination of underground dance music genres of the past few years, and also something that has never been done before. Fans of atypical uses of vocal samples, dreamy atmospheres and weird rhythms will find a lot to like on this EP.

Highlights: "Voices Near the Hypocentre", "Hyphen to Splice"

ynDwvBM.png

#14. ‘Now That the Light Is Fading’ by Maggie Rogers (Art Pop/Synthpop)

The Maryland-born musician Maggie Rogers was discovered by Pharrell Williams, and her song “Alaska” became a cult hit thanks to the Internet. But there is more to Rogers than her potential to become a viral star. The previously mentioned track seems to pick up where Ellie Goulding’s debut ‘Lights’ left off (and actually succeeds at doing that) but the overall sound of ‘Now That the Light Is Fading’ feels more expansive. Tracks like “Dog Years” or “On + Off” take on a hazy-electro-R&B sound which sounds closer to a mix of Bat for Lashes and Nao, and fits perfectly with her soft voice. Her debut EP is, surprisingly, extremely strong, one of the best pop releases of the year so far, and shows that she has potential become a great artist on her own.

Highlights: “Alaska”, “On + Off”

sCMVrZn.png

#13. ‘Transphobic’ by Quay Dash (Hardcore Hip Hop/Experimental Hip Hop)

Quay Dash is not ****ing around. The NY rapper came through with one of the most fun, diverse, innovative yet hard-as-**** rap releases of the year. From the SOPHIE-produced opening track "Bossed Up" to the closing track "Decline Him", she proves that she's one of the better upcoming rappers. With an unbelievable flow, attitude and direct lines as well as a production that matches all of that, she is way better than most of the hip-hop acts in the mainstream nowadays, and definitely deserving of a spot in the limelight.

Highlights: "Decline Him", "Bossed Up"

0PSJkoo.png

#12. 'Alice Glass' by Alice Glass (Electropop/Post-Industrial/Glitch Pop)

2017 was a very intense year for Alice Glass. And not only because of the release of her debut solo EP, but also because she came forward about her experience in Crystal Castles, about being raped and abused by her bandmate, Ethan Kath, and the repercussions against that. Personally, while I always liked the EP (even though it was, understandably, quite divisive,) it truly clicked with me lyrically once she explained what happened. The lyrics deal with all the angst, sadness and confusion of being in that situation, along with the excellent production that accompanies it - musically, it combines the synthpop and punk vibes from her band, along with a more electronic production, influenced by industrial music, trap and even gabber. I really hope we do get an album from her next year, because I feel like we need more.

Highlights: "Blood Oath", "Natural Selection"

cvQgnzD.png

#11. coucou chloe - 'Erika Jane' (UK Bass/Experimental Hip Hop)

One of the best club music releases of the year was the second EP of French singer, rapper, producer and DJ coucou chloe. Having her music played by both Björk and Rihanna, her music is a very creative, minimal take on dance music, and 'Erika Jane' (also her birth name) proves that. The hip-hop influences are presented in the same way they appeared on Arca's first projects: very deadpan and at times impossible to wrap one's head around, but still extremely interesting for those who are interested in the genre.

Highlights: "GS", "Flip U" (feat. Sega Bodega)

vuhexrt.gif

• ATRL Moderator

I'm taking notes bitch!

Why is Danny so low?  Cause Carly didn't do official vocals for Happy? 

wow all this talent :jonny:

#25 1UL - girl you seriously can't consider Happy All The Time to be one of the highlights

#24 Paradise - damn this was disappointing overall. I find the title track to be quite horrible in fact, but I like the slower/ballad-y tracks

#20 Flume - need to get into this one!

#18 Klein - legend Hannah :heart2:

#16 Fatima - my boyfriend is Arab so I've been getting into more Arabic music recently and this release was just so perfectly timed :jonny2:

#13 Quay Dash - literally brilliant

#12 Alice Glass - really solid release from Alice. makes (No) Empathy look even shittier than it already was

#11 coucou chloe - This is on my list of things to listen to before I finalise my list! Bookmarked Stamina ages ago and loved it

icon :smitten:

Flume is great

One of my fave DJs of the moment for sure

I liked Flume and Lanark and forgot to mentioned them in my HMs. Other familiar material like Sudan, Maggie, and Steve :clap3:

I also forgot about Anonhi's EP aside from Ricochet (a highlight for me)

ANOHNI's not retiring, that Instagram post has been deleted a long time ago + her publicist made a statement or w/e more or less confirming she's not :fan: Paradise was cute imo, but not on the HOPELESSNESS level. Still glad (almost) all the songs performed on her tour got released

vuhexrt.gif

I've heard many great things about coucou chloe, time to check ha out I guess

• ATRL Moderator

almost forgot paradise was released this year :chick3:

I think I'll check out Klein particularly and possibly the rest. Love Maggie's EP

Maggie Rogers, Danny L Harle :clap3:

Skin Companion II > Skin

Paradise is trash, especially compared to Hopelessness

2 hours ago, TRF. said:

ynDwvBM.png

#14. ‘Now That the Light Is Fading’ by Maggie Rogers (Art Pop/Synthpop)

The Maryland-born musician Maggie Rogers was discovered by Pharrell Williams, and her song “Alaska” became a cult hit thanks to the Internet. But there is more to Rogers than her potential to become a viral star. The previously mentioned track seems to pick up where Ellie Goulding’s debut ‘Lights’ left off (and actually succeeds at doing that) but the overall sound of ‘Now That the Light Is Fading’ feels more expansive. Tracks like “Dog Years” or “On + Off” take on a hazy-electro-R&B sound which sounds closer to a mix of Bat for Lashes and Nao, and fits perfectly with her soft voice. Her debut EP is, surprisingly, extremely strong, one of the best pop releases of the year so far, and shows that she has potential become a great artist on her own.

:clap3: La amo!! 

Edited by Topmaster 2

Me trying to talk about and pretend to know any of these people:

I1An4TK.gif

ANOHNI's EP was meh imo, so was Alice's but she was raped and we all make mistakes

vuhexrt.gif

23 hours ago, madonnas said:

I'm taking notes bitch!

Why is Danny so low?  Cause Carly didn't do official vocals for Happy? 

Yes :emofish: also Heavy Eyelids is kinda boring imo

23 hours ago, mxtthewdelrey said:

wow all this talent :jonny:

#25 1UL - girl you seriously can't consider Happy All The Time to be one of the highlights

#24 Paradise - damn this was disappointing overall. I find the title track to be quite horrible in fact, but I like the slower/ballad-y tracks

#20 Flume - need to get into this one!

#18 Klein - legend Hannah :heart2:

#16 Fatima - my boyfriend is Arab so I've been getting into more Arabic music recently and this release was just so perfectly timed :jonny2:

#13 Quay Dash - literally brilliant

#12 Alice Glass - really solid release from Alice. makes (No) Empathy look even shittier than it already was

#11 coucou chloe - This is on my list of things to listen to before I finalise my list! Bookmarked Stamina ages ago and loved it

icon :smitten:

sucks that you dislike Paradise :/ but it's cool that you like Fatima!! You should get into Deena Abdelwahed too. Her EP this year almost made my list.

21 hours ago, Reinvention said:

Me trying to talk about and pretend to know any of these people:

I1An4TK.gif

what are the links for, then?

I1An4TK.gif

13 hours ago, Diarrhoea said:

ANOHNI's EP was meh imo, so was Alice's but she was raped and we all make mistakes

vuhexrt.gif

Uhhhhh ok.

vuhexrt.gif

23 hours ago, AlexisNeiers said:

ANOHNI's not retiring, that Instagram post has been deleted a long time ago + her publicist made a statement or w/e more or less confirming she's not :fan: Paradise was cute imo, but not on the HOPELESSNESS level. Still glad (almost) all the songs performed on her tour got released

vuhexrt.gif

I've heard many great things about coucou chloe, time to check ha out I guess

Wew, that's very good to know.

vuhexrt.gif

Top 10 EPs later today. Maybe.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.