Dessy Fenix's BEST OF | Resuming Jan 2nd

Dessy

Did... did you just drag Gorgeous and call it a highlight of reputation at the same time? :doc: 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dessy

• theblackestday

• Tsareena

• Zay

:jonny5: at strangers missing the list!

Intrigued to see the rest of it :eatpopcorn:

2 hours ago, Achilles. said:

Did... did you just drag Gorgeous and call it a highlight of reputation at the same time? :doc: 

Yes I did

Image result for taylor swift atrl gif

LMK is not even the best song from the album and y'all will deal! That's final Kelela will make an impact on the official list, that much I can GUARANTEE! 

I am in the process of finalizing my video ranking. I need to be sure the ranking and write-ups reflect how I feel. I will also impose a limitation of one MV per artist, the rest that I enjoyed will go in an honorable mention list likely with their own write-ups. 

For now enjoy my favorite trailers of the year before I start the video list: 

Also this short was very well done. 

Top Videos #6 - #10

10) Imagine Dragons - Believer
A boxing match in techo-space? Hot shirtless dude? Color galore? Kid wanting do draw instead of whatever this father figure want him to do? Excellent! 

9) Paramore - Hard Times
I needed a Paramore video in my list! Hard Times give a stormy colorful aesthetic (that I should definitely use for my instagram one year). This video does a good job of putting the typical “band & singer” in a visually pleasing environment.  

8) Selena Gomez  - Bad Liar
Selena does what she does best, her acting root. The video itself is simple taking the setting of a typical high school day. But then it get weirder than you’d expect. Eventually you’re left to wonder what is even Selena’s role here? Who knows, but personally I love the way we’re left to theorize. I believe Selena is portraying different moment in her “affairs” with this teacher but the reality is that she is “lying” to everyone including herself when she like this woman teacher? Idk I just like the song and video setting and craziness.  

7) Charli XCX - Boys
Hot men everywhere. We need more of these videos with different men. There need to be a women and nonbinary ones too! There’s nothing but just boys being boys, cute, hot, sexy, goofy, silly, fat, skinny, weird, adorable, drunk, sweaty on fire, hairy, etc. More of this please! 

6) BTS - DNA 
Everytime I see one of their videos I’m like “oh wow, that’s so neat.” “Girl I know his skin ain’t that flawless.” “Here’s the part where they really get crazy… I think… no wait nvm. AH HERE WE GO”. But yeah I choose this video because of the above, I think everyone was mostly included in some form, it flashy, it’s fun, it’s not in English, what’s not to like? 

Edited by Dessy Fenix

The only good thing about Believer's video is the lead singer being shirtless, the rest is cringe :skull: 

Hard Times, Bad Liar and Boys :alexz: 

Believer + Hard Times :clap3:

I've never watched Bad Lair's video tbh lemme get in.

Bad Liar :clap3:

Hard Times, Believer & Boys are cute, too :) 

• hard times
  • bad liar
  • :clap3: 

slay that video list :clap3:

BL and Boys are obviously one of my favorites this year :-*

I Like Hard Times too :jonny:

Bad Liar and Hard Times are great videos :clap3: The others are nice too :flower:

Favorite Movie

Spiderman: Homecoming

Image result for spider man homecoming

Before I finish up the music videos I will give a shoutout to my favorite movie this year. Honestly it was just well done. There were minimal interruption from Tony Stark (who really only serves to highlight that Spiderman isn't that strong, yet). The only thing that was really lacking for me is an engaging villain. Yeah the plot and technology was cool but where was the crippling villain that would make us fear for the hero. I suppose with Disney new additions, Spiderman (and all the next generation of the Avengers) will have more to choose from. He's not the best Spiderman on the big screen but he got the job done. 

Honorable Mention: 

Dunkirk - I enjoy reviewing WWII history; how we got to the point, how we struggle, all the stories are fascinating yet cruel. Naturally I went to see this as soon as I was able. It was about soldiers trying to flee certain deaths but being trapped. Thus regular civilians set out on their boats to Dunkirk in order to bring these folks home. It is a classic tale of heroism, valor, fear, confusion, etc. of the war. But also it was a different take on the story of World War II. 

The Last Jedi -  I won't say any spoilers but this was a great SW film. Reminisce of Original Trilogy yet with a modern flair. Some minor gripes with Finn and Poe characters in this installment, but doesn't take too much away from the movie. It was certainly a different way to do Star Wars and I enjoyed every moment of it. 

Eh (this is not to say I didn't sat down and enjoyed these movies but they were ultimately lacking).

Justice League - Try again next time! I mean it does a good job of "uniting" the hero. About as good as the animated versions does it. But it still doesn't make up for a lackluster plot, lackluster Batman, and lackluster villain (face iT. of ALL the possible big bads, they chose Steppenwolf. I get setting up for Darksied but it ultimately look like they're going the Legion of Doom route.) Wonder Woman showed us that DC can make a great movie focusing on individual hero. Let's hope this hold true Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg. They're DC only hope rn. 

Thor: Raganork - This was admittedly the best Thor film. It gave me an engaging villain. The Hulk x Thor dynamics was great. Thor god-mode is unlocked! And who doesn't like another planet with a fancy trashy space waste theme! But I'll just have to concede that the MCU portrayal of Thor/World is just not for me. It does perfectly set Thor up for the next installment (Infinity War) better than any previous Marvel movies leading into it so we'll see how it works for him.

Edited by Dessy Fenix

Top Videos #1 - #5

#5 Kendrick Lamar - DNA.

“Dead ***** Association!” I was shook. I love how the dude so passionately rap the part until Kendrick does it.I loved the switch, it’s like when your buddy suddenly spring to life to support your argument. The low part is the black and white Kendrick moment but… it’s Kenny! How can I be mad at spitting straight facts?” 

---

#4 Katy Perry - Bon Appetit ft. Migos

This was honestly one of the best I seen all year. A nearly nude Katy is being prepped and served to hungry dinner guests. I’ll admit the first part of the video was really hot and I’d eat her myself :eli: In any case this was one of the best video-song combo I seen this year. R.I.P. Katy long hair. The moment she’s about to be served Migos sprung to the rescue and Katy turns the table on her greedy guests. Ultimately rejecting their lustful desire and serving them as dinner instead. It was really creative and humorous for me. 

---

#3 Harry Styles - Kiwi

Okay I have a weak spot for kids being kids AND animal being in music videos. It starts us off with a girl who is obviously getting ready to throw some food. Meanwhile in the cafeteria there seem to be some big argument. Eventually a classic food fight is happening and it’s just full on messy war. And then Harry escalate the mess further by bringing in a bunch of DOGGOS wtf????  Jk, it’s a video light-hearted videos that’s just fun and silly. If this (with SOTT) are example of what Harry’s videography will be like in the future, he can expect me to be a longtime fan. 

---

#2 Jay-Z - The Story of O.J.

Whoa is the word. The song itself was really something but the video cemented it. Jay-z effectively took the racial caricatures made of us in the past and threw it back at ‘em. I showed this video to my grandparents and they were shocked at first but ultimately loved the message. It’s a really simple song with a depth that goes back decades. No matter your status- visible, financial, or social- you’re still a black person in a systematically racist society. Tbh I didn’t think I’d be stanning for a cartoon music video, especially ones with racist caricatures in 2017, but here we are! 

---

#1 Logic - 1-800-273-8255 ft. Alessia Cara, Khalid

I relate to this video on a very spiritual level. Regular dreadful school life. Gay high school crush. Being caught with gay stuff. Of course this is where the connection end for me as I didn’t run away or got with anyone :rip: But it was still sooo well done I just can’t help but but feel terrible at the “reveal”. IT was just… And I think the white dad wasn’t mad just… confused himself. That’s the whole vibe I got from him. Truly a heart-breaking moment. You think it can’t get any better and your life just start falling apart and everyone knows your “secret”. But people are still there for you, those who love you do love you, they just need to show it. The breaking point is reached but he doesn’t do it. The video/song shift, and now he’s in a loving homosexual relationship with family and friends and a baby and :weeps:  Full circle. Live your life, **** the heteronormative society! :weeps:

Who know maybe this is a hint of my top songs... or a rejection of them :eli: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.