Melanie Martinez Accused of Raping Friend

Witch Privilege

1 hour ago, Greedy for Ari said:

I always try to sympathize with the victim however lots of things do not add up.

You were raped but everything was normal after? Like you were okay with being her best friend for years later? You just now came to the conclusion that it traumatized you after Melanie decided to end the friendship with you? It seems like a call for attention and/or revenge. Usually people who release their story about rape or attempted rape, e.g. the guy who almost got raped by Kevin spacey. They disclose it and move on, not continue to beat around the bush with it and RT people siding with her and against Melanie. 

I just have a hard time calling this RAPE. It gives loss of power to the word. Sexual assault or pressure maybe but rape??? That's like saying someone who repeated the N word in a song is racist. 

I am not saying Melanie is in the right here, but I don't completely see eye-to-eye with this being a rape accusation.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Greedy for Ari said:

I always try to sympathize with the victim however lots of things do not add up.

You were raped but everything was normal after? Like you were okay with being her best friend for years later? You just now came to the conclusion that it traumatized you after Melanie decided to end the friendship with you? It seems like a call for attention and/or revenge. Usually people who release their story about rape or attempted rape, e.g. the guy who almost got raped by Kevin spacey. They disclose it and move on, not continue to beat around the bush with it and RT people siding with her and against Melanie. 

I just have a hard time calling this RAPE. It gives loss of power to the word. Sexual assault or pressure maybe but rape??? That's like saying someone who repeated the N word in a song is racist. 

I am not saying Melanie is in the right here, but I don't completely see eye-to-eye with this being a rape accusation.

It's a tough situation to be in (or at least I imagine it would be), to be assaulted by someone you care about. It's not as if the second you are assaulted by that person all your love for them goes out the window. And Timothy even said that herself. She was in denial. Mel was her best friend and she didn't want to believe that someone she loved could hurt her like that. It's really not that hard to understand. And also, she didn't JUST come to the conclusion after Melanie ended the friendship. IIRC, at the time of her coming forward they already had not spoken for at least a year. 

And who the **** cares what it's called? Whatever actually happened that night between the two of them actually happened that night regardless what it's called, and it's simply not possible for the word rape to lose power (for those of us with common sense and at least a dash of empathy). See, it's attitudes like this that make victims afraid to come forward. The feeling that no one will believe them because their story isn't violent enough, or brutal enough, to be believed. Rape is not just some stranger violently assaulting a woman in an alleyway or some **** :rip: True or not, Timothy's story describes RAPE. Sorry if her story isn't brutal enough for you to think it's rape, but that's just a fact. 

And pressure would be if Melanie repeatedly asked Timothy to have sex with her and she eventually said yes, and gave consent (although in many cases pending other details, this could be considered rape). On the other hand, sexual assault is basically a synonym for rape (i.e. all rape is sexual assault, but not all sexual assault is rape) so your whole issue with this makes no sense. What else do you call being penetrated with sex toys and having oral sex performed on you after you literally said no for hours and days on end? How violent does the crime have to be for it to be rape in your book? Is it only rape if it's done by a stranger in a dark alley? I'm not trying to be condescending I'm just wondering what your definition of rape is since you seem so adamant about this not being rape, even though it's a textbook definition of rape committed by a close friend or relative. Tbh your whole post just reeks of someone with no knowledge of sexual abuse, someone who doesn't even grasp textbook definitions. Sexual abuse is complex, and you may want to widen your horizons a little bit, because I don't think you grasp how complicated being a victim of sexual assault can be. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to act as a victim, but you seem to apply that Timothy is doing the "wrong" thing if she is indeed a victim, and that's just not right. 

4 hours ago, Greedy for Ari said:

They would be racist

Body Electrician
7 hours ago, Greedy for Ari said:

Definition of rape (see bolded especially): 

Spoiler

unlawful sexual intercourse or any other sexual penetration of the vagina, anus, or mouth of another person, with or without force, by asex organ, other body part, or foreign object, without the consent of the victim.

I just read a few posts on twitter which pointed to the possibility that either one of them might be truthful, and not to bash anyone just yet but Timothy blocked the girl when she actually had some really good points. I'm a little uncomfortable with this entire situation now and I hope we'll be receiving lots of closure and clarity very soon. :cupid:

This is all so twisted and sad either way at this point. 

13 minutes ago, St. Charles said:

I just read a few posts on twitter which pointed to the possibility that either one of them might be truthful, and not to bash anyone just yet but Timothy blocked the girl when she actually had some really good points. I'm a little uncomfortable with this entire situation now and I hope we'll be receiving lots of closure and clarity very soon. :cupid:

This is all so twisted and sad either way at this point. 

Well of course she blocked her. How else should she react to someone saying the rapist might be truthful?  :deadbanana2:

8 hours ago, GypsyLAMB said:

They would be racist

No they wouldn’t and saying they would be is diminishing the meaning of the word racist.

14 hours ago, Greedy for Ari said:

I think this is just really down to people having to apply some cognitive thinking. Non verbally consenting sex and sexual interactions happen all the time and are not considered "rape" by the "victim" despite meeting the definition. Its not helpful to pretend that every positive sexual experience is signed off with a yes/no, or that "no" never turns into active participation when it boils down to actions.

Its obvious reading this that Melanie took her lack of physical rejection as an opportunity to escalate and see how far she can push it and the friend was clearly reluctant to reject her. I think part of us becoming more progressive about the way we think about sexual assault means we don't need to act like every perpetrator is a predatory monster or all cases are the same . Clearly what Melanie done was wrong, the semantics of whether we just call it harrasment, abuse or rape shouldn't change our perception/understanding of what happened and how it effected the people in question.

14 hours ago, Greedy for Ari said:

exactly my thoughts

Also people are soooooooooooooo ****ing quick to take a side and attack when it comes to rape accusations...

cloudinthesky
23 minutes ago, Otter said:

I think this is just really down to people having to apply some cognitive thinking. Non verbally consenting sex and sexual interactions happen all the time and are not considered "rape" by the "victim" despite meeting the definition. Its not helpful to pretend that every positive sexual experience is signed off with a yes/no, or that "no" never turns into active participation when it boils down to actions.

Its obvious reading this that Melanie took her lack of physical rejection as an opportunity to escalate and see how far she can push it and the friend was clearly reluctant to reject her. I think part of us becoming more progressive about the way we think about sexual assault means we don't need to act like every perpetrator is a predatory monster or all cases are the same . Clearly what Melanie done was wrong, the semantics of whether we just call it harrasment, abuse or rape shouldn't change our perception/understanding of what happened and how it effected the people in question.

n3G6qGt.gif 

MoonlightFrosting

I do feel for Timonthy, even if I'll never know exactly what happened. But why is she giving multiple interviews now? She already told her story and gave an interview, her friends also posted some stuff on her behalf. Why does she keep doing it when Melanie clearly said her piece and isn't going to say anything more? Seems odd to me.

1 hour ago, MoonlightFrosting said:

I do feel for Timonthy, even if I'll never know exactly what happened. But why is she giving multiple interviews now? She already told her story and gave an interview, her friends also posted some stuff on her behalf. Why does she keep doing it when Melanie clearly said her piece and isn't going to say anything more? Seems odd to me.

In her most recent interview, she stated that's trying to give "Woman on Woman violence" more recognition, that that kinda irks me because she's talking more about the Melanie incident, and than mentioning women needing to stand up and speak more about it. 

chilicheese01
17 hours ago, Greedy for Ari said:

That's like saying someone who repeated the N word in a song is racist. 

A lot of members on here would consider this extremely racist. 

36 minutes ago, chilicheese01 said:

A lot of members on here would consider this extremely racist. 

I don’t think it’s a lot to ask for people to keep this word out of their mouths.

But I digress. Debates like these with all these pseudo-definitions for sexual assault and victim blaming is a big reason why people don’t break their silence immediately. I’m glad some of these victims have the platform and support to do so right now.

People are so dumb, we have no proof, for all we know Timothy might be lying. I'm not "shaming the victim11!!18!!", but people need to remember that someone is not guilty until otherwise is proven. And the only "proof" we have so far is a Twitter post  :confused:

Many lives have been ruined by false rape accusations, I'm not saying Melanie didn't rape her, I'm not saying she did, just saying until we have a real proof (which is always really difficult to get in this type of case, especially if it happened in 2015) we should not accuse Melanie of anything. People are crazy, and I can't even say I'm surprised. 

1 minute ago, Summer Boy said:

People are so dumb, we have no proof, for all we know Timothy might be lying. I'm not "shaming the victim11!!18!!", but people need to remember that someone is not guilty until otherwise is proven. And the only "proof" we have so far is a Twitter post  :confused:

Many lives have been ruined by false rape accusations, I'm not saying Melanie didn't rape her, I'm not saying she did, just saying until we have a real proof (which is always really difficult to get in this type of case, especially if it happened in 2015) we should not accuse Melanie of anything. People are crazy, and I can't even say I'm surprised. 

Melanie admited it happened. Like

Just now, jose168 said:

Melanie admited it happened. Like

She admitted that they had sex, she said both agreed to do so, my post is still valid. 

50 minutes ago, Summer Boy said:

This. You need to keep a clear + unbiased head in these kind of cases. It would be best if everyone stayed neutral for now instead of going on a witch hunt, because both sides look too sketchy right now. 

Archived