• alexanderao

• UNNAMI

• Mr. Adele

Just now, butterflysupreme said:

Music, art etc should be free

:ahh:

43 minutes ago, butterflysupreme said:

As someone who makes a living in the music industry, how the **** should I make money?

46 minutes ago, butterflysupreme said:

How are musicians going to make art with no money?

butterflysupreme
9 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

You should go work st McDonald's and then donate your time and salary/money to the creation of music and art.

:)

So entitled...

Edited by butterflysupreme

butterflysupreme
1 minute ago, Goatseid said:

How are musicians going to make art with no money?

Product placement, ads, radio etc

1 minute ago, butterflysupreme said:

And for producers/mixers/etc. who aren't face or name famous?

News flash: The artist is normally less than 10% of the actual force behind the recordings (unless you're Charlie Puth or Soulja Boy nn) :rip: Songwriters, producers, engineers, etc. would be ****ED if music were free.

butterflysupreme
Just now, mau5trap said:

And for producers/mixers/etc. who aren't face or name famous?

If they get played on the radio, malls etc

1 minute ago, butterflysupreme said:

That isn't how royalties work. Songwriters would get paid but the engineers/producers wouldn't.

Also, songwriters need to scan practically gold to get over their recoupable salaries as it is. Free music would make that even harder and would limit the songwriter field even more.

5 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

You should go work st McDonald's and then donate your time and salary/money to the creation of music and art.

:)

You can't be serious :toofunny2:

None of these people understand how money goes around in the industry. Luckily if any of them were to actually enter the industry they'd quickly change all of their views :ahh: Happens every time I see or meet a new intern or artist here in Nashville.

butterflysupreme
4 minutes ago, mau5trap said:

That isn't how royalties work. Songwriters would get paid but the engineers/producers wouldn't.

Also, songwriters need to scan practically gold to get over their recoupable salaries as it is. Free music would make that even harder and would limit the songwriter field even more.

By the record companies and artists

Just now, butterflysupreme said:

By the record companies and artists

Please read a book on music business before acting like an expert

9 minutes ago, butterflysupreme said:

I may be wrong, but doesn't it cost money to get radio deals and run ads?

9 minutes ago, butterflysupreme said:

Not every artist is Mariah. Most artists struggle to even get noticed. What you're suggesting is highly selfish and you should be ashamed of yourself.

11 minutes ago, Goatseid said:

I may be wrong, but doesn't it cost money to get radio deals and run ads?

Radio is funky. Big artists can invest in radio deals, small artists can bombard DJs with emails to play their ****, it goes both ways. Entities like Clear Channel make it very hard for up and coming artists to get radio play, however.

Ads, however, are not like that at all. Sync deals 99% of the time are when an existing movie, TV, or ad will search out music that fits their ad. They'll contact a publishing company or sync company for songs an will choose between whatever artists that publisher or sync company is trying to promote.

As for the artist themselves running ads on their music - you have to be strategic. When PewDiePie lost Alphabet hundreds of millions of dollars, an ad boycott ensued and YouTube ads became far cheaper. Khalid took advantage of this and used all of his "Location" money to buy YouTube ads for American Teen. It paid off tremendously well (though I'm sure by that point he already had a team advising him on what to do)

1 minute ago, Ari. said:

Radio is funky. Big artists can invest in radio deals.

Ads, however, are not like that at all. Sync deals 99% of the time are when an existing movie, TV, or ad will search out music that fits their ad. They'll contact a publishing company or sync company for songs an will choose between whatever artists that publisher or sync company is trying to promote.

Ahhh. Thanks for the insight. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, butterflysupreme said:

LOL imagine being this dumb 2 post this

no one is gonna make music if they don't get paid 

Have you ever had a job? :rip: 

Your posts always seem to defy rhyme and reason.

So entitled...

:rip:

14 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

Excuse me?

ask anyone on ATRL. I've been the biggest and noisiest proponent for a fairer system that allows non streaming genres to have a fair chance to chart in the streaming era and the genres favored by streaming fans.

were you just as concerned in 2009-2013 when songs in the "streaming genre" were never bought on itunes because they were being pirated 24/7 and allowing them to chart using a "fairer system"

Anyway...

Cardi is coming for a 4th week at #1?

3 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

That's not entirely true,

there are tons of musicians just happy to pick up an instrument and play, and hope someone will listen.

theres DJs who just want to spin records and volunteer st community radio.  There's songwriters who just want someone to play their song they wrote.

btw, that doesn't mean I'm on the side music is meant to be free.  It simply means I know people who want to make a living off music, and people who have it as a bobby.  The world is grey.  

Agreed. While I don't think music should be free I think there are plenty of artists who would make music for free and usually the artists that are the most successful are the ones who aren't thinking about money, just about sharing their voice/lyrics/music.

The quality of the music would decrease dramatically if none of the artists got paid for their work. The labels have to earn enough money to record the music and send artists on tours. If the artists aren't able to make money, the labels themselves will go under too. Radio stations would all go to sports and talk formats since there's no longer any financial incentive to play songs. YouTube would struggle, and Spotify, Apple Music, etc. would cease to exist. ITunes would obviously die. BB, MB, & HDD would go under within weeks. I'm not trying to be difficult or argumentative. I'm just explaining what would happen if there was no money made in the music business.

13 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

That's not entirely true,

there are tons of musicians just happy to pick up an instrument and play, and hope someone will listen.

theres DJs who just want to spin records and volunteer st community radio.  There's songwriters who just want someone to play their song they wrote.

btw, that doesn't mean I'm on the side music is meant to be free.  It simply means I know people who want to make a living off music, and people who have it as a bobby.  The world is grey.  

That's true. But they will never be able to dedicate themselves to music if they're not gaining any profit out of it. So all those enthusiastic musicians would have to stop doing the thing they love to get a job that can actually pay their bills. I mean it's ****ing common sense :rip: