Artists with most #2 hits in the US Billboard Hot 100

Green

Artists With the Most No. 2-Peaking Billboard Hot 100 Hits

Six:
Madonna: "Frozen," "I'll Remember," "Cherish," "Express Yourself," "Causing a Commotion," "Material Girl" (along with 12 No. 1s)

Five:
Carpenters: "Yesterday Once More," "Hurting Each Other," "Superstar"/"Bless the Beasts and Children," "Rainy Days and Mondays," "We've Only Just Begun" (three No. 1s)

Creedence Clearwater Revival: "Lookin' Out My Back Door"/"Long as I Can See the Light," "Travelin' Band"/"Who'll Stop the Rain," "Green River," "Bad Moon Rising," "Proud Mary"

Four:
Mariah Carey: "Shake It Off," "Loverboy," "Endless Love" (with Luther Vandross), "Can't Let Go" (18 No. 1s)

Diddy: "I Don't Wanna Know" (Mario Winans feat. Enya & P. Diddy), "I Need a Girl (Part One)" (P. Diddy feat. Usher & Loon), "Satisfy You" (Puff Daddy feat. R. Kelly), "Been Around the World" (Puff Daddy & The Family feat. The Notorious B.I.G. & Mase) (five No. 1s)

Janet Jackson: "Any Time, Any Place"/"And On and On," "Come Back to Me," "Rhythm Nation," "Let's Wait Awhile" (10 No. 1s)

Elton John: "I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That," "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me," "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," "Daniel" (nine No. 1s)

Elvis Presley (who career predated the Hot 100's 1958 launch by two years): "Burning Love," "Return to Sender," "Can't Help Falling in Love," "(Now and Then There's) A Fool Such as I" (the latter three billed to Elvis Presley with The Jordanaires) (seven No. 1s)

Taylor Swift: "I Don't Wanna Live Forever (Fifty Shades Darker)" (with Zayn), "I Knew You Were Trouble.," "Today Was a Fairytale," "You Belong With Me" (five No. 1s)

Three:
Ashanti: "Rock Wit U (Awww Baby)," "Mesmerize" (Ja Rule feat. Ashanti), "What's Luv?" (Fat Joe feat. Ashanti) (two No. 1s)

The Beatles: "Yellow Submarine," "Do You Want to Know a Secret," "Twist and Shout." (20 No. 1s; additionally, Paul McCartney has notched two solo No. 2 hits and George Harrison and John Lennon each earned one.)

Blood, Sweat & Tears: "And When I Die," "Spinning Wheel," "You've Made Me So Very Happy"

En Vogue: "Don't Let Go (Love)," "My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)," "Hold On"

Jackson 5: "Dancing Machine," "Never Can Say Goodbye," "Mama's Pearl" (four No. 1s; and, Michael Jackson added two solo: "The Girl Is Mine," with McCartney, and "Rockin' Robin")

Prince: "U Got the Look," "Raspberry Beret," "Purple Rain" (the latter two billed to Prince and the Revolution) (five No. 1s)

R. Kelly: "Ignition," "Satisfy You" (Puff Daddy feat. R. Kelly), "I Believe I Can Fly" (two No. 1s)

Linda Ronstadt: "Don't Know Much" (feat. Aaron Neville), "Somewhere Out There" (Ronstadt & James Ingram), "When Will I Be Loved" (one No. 1)

Usher: "I Need a Girl (Part One)" (P. Diddy feat. Usher & Loon), "My Way," "You Make Me Wanna..." (nine No. 1s)

Of these acts, only three fell short of ever reaching No. 1: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Blood, Sweat & Tears and En Vogue.

Honorable mention for Glenn Frey, who notched two solo No. 2 hits – "You Belong to the City" and "The Heat Is On" – after the Eagles reached No. 2 with "Lyin' Eyes," featuring his lead vocals.

And, that brings us to Rihanna, now with three No. 2-peaking Hot 100 hits (it appears): "Wild Thoughts" (likely), 2009's "Run This Town" (by JAY-Z, Rihanna & Kanye West) and her debut, 2005's "Pon De Replay."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7957889/ask-billboard-kelly-clarksons-career-sales-wild-thoughts-about

Edited by Green

Prince, Janet & The Carpenters :clap3:

Destiny's Child & Beyonce: Survivor (7week) & Drunk In Love :cries::cries::cries::cries::cries::cries:

it's better than All For You & Dark Horse

3 hours ago, jezebelvictoria said:

'Express Yourself' should have been #1 

7 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

Express yourself :weeps:

It's just wrong in so many ways. :!ohno:

Madonna tho :rip: She would have gotten 18 #1 instead. And many other hits like Hung Up, 4 minutes and ROL that should have gone #1

If it doesn't ascend to No. 1 (a perhaps unlikely move with Taylor Swift's "Look What You Made Me Do" having soared to the top), Rihanna would enter an elite club. How so? "Thoughts" would mark Rihanna's third song to peak just one spot shy of No. 1.

That ship sailed a long time ago even with Khaled's non-stop promo. Did anyone win the 10k yet?

I Knew You Were Trouble. & You Belong With Me deserved to go #1. :grump:

Songs that blocked Madonna's #2 hits:

"Frozen":  "All My Life" by K-Ci & JoJo

"I'll Remember": "I Swear" by All-4-One

"Cherish": "Miss You Much" by Janet Jackson

"Express Yourself":  "If You Don't Know Me By Now" by Simply Red & "Toy Soldiers" by Martika

"Causing a Commotion": "Bad" by Michael Jackson & "I Think We're Alone Now" by Tiffany

"Material Girl":  "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon & "One More Night" by Phil Collins

Edited by Green

13 minutes ago, Green said:

Songs that blocked Madonna's #2 hits:

"Frozen":  "All My Life" by K-Ci & JoJo

"I'll Remember": "I Swear" by All-4-One

"Cherish": "Miss You Much" by Janet Jackson

"Express Yourself":  "If You Don't Know Me By Now" by Simply Red & "Toy Soldiers" by Martika

"Causing a Commotion": "Bad" by Michael Jackson & "I Think We're Alone Now" by Tiffany

"Material Girl":  "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon & "One More Night" by Phil Collins

Oh wow black people really dominated the 80's/90's despite then being much much less of the population and barely just getting their civil rights lmao. even today white people are like 65% of the population, don't know how much higher they were then but, interesting

MATERIAL GIRL WASN'T #1??? I WAS SCAMMED MY WHOLE LIFE

Songs that blocked Mariah's #2 hits:

"Shake It Off": "We Belong Together" by Mariah Carey & "Gold Digger" by Kanye West

"Loverboy": "Bootylicious" by Destiny's Child

"Endless Love": "I'll Make Love To You" by Boyz II Men

"Can't Let Go": "All 4 Love" by Color Me Badd

Songs that blocked Janet's #2 hits:

"Any Time, Any Place"/"And On and On":  "I Swear" by All-4-One

"Come Back to Me":  "Vision Of Love" by Mariah Carey

"Rhythm Nation":  "Another Day In Paradise" by Phil Collins

"Let's Wait Awhile":  "Lean On Me" by Club Nouveau

Songs that blocked Taylor Swift's #2 hits:

"I Don't Wanna Live Forever (Fifty Shades Darker)":  "Shape Of You", Ed Sheeran

"I Knew You Were Trouble.":  "Locked Out Of Heaven", Bruno Mars

"Today Was a Fairytale": "TiK ToK", Ke$ha

"You Belong With Me": "I Gotta Feeling", The Black Eyed Peas

The one achievement I don't want my fave to have many of :rip: Number 2's are the worst.

58 minutes ago, ArianadelRey said:

It was #1 on Pop tho.

I'd rather have a song peak around 6 or 7 then have it peak at 2. It's so close and then nope :rip:

If I was an artist I think I would obsess over what I could have done to make it go #1 :rip:

11 hours ago, ArianadelRey said:

We Are The World also jumped Material Girl. But Crazy For You was also in the Top 5 with MG (much more impressive then than now), so she also inadvertently blocked herself. CCR and En Vogue didn't hit #1 at all, so they're the worst off here.

21 hours ago, Green said:

Artists With the Most No. 2-Peaking Billboard Hot 100 Hits

Six:
Madonna: "Frozen," "I'll Remember," "Cherish," "Express Yourself," "Causing a Commotion," "Material Girl" (along with 12 No. 1s)

Four:
Mariah Carey: "Shake It Off," "Loverboy," "Endless Love" (with Luther Vandross), "Can't Let Go" (18 No. 1s)

Diddy: "I Don't Wanna Know" (Mario Winans feat. Enya & P. Diddy), "I Need a Girl (Part One)" (P. Diddy feat. Usher & Loon), "Satisfy You" (Puff Daddy feat. R. Kelly), "Been Around the World" (Puff Daddy & The Family feat. The Notorious B.I.G. & Mase) (five No. 1s)

Janet Jackson: "Any Time, Any Place"/"And On and On," "Come Back to Me," "Rhythm Nation," "Let's Wait Awhile" (10 No. 1s)

Taylor Swift: "I Don't Wanna Live Forever (Fifty Shades Darker)" (with Zayn), "I Knew You Were Trouble.," "Today Was a Fairytale," "You Belong With Me" (five No. 1s)

Three:
Ashanti: "Rock Wit U (Awww Baby)," "Mesmerize" (Ja Rule feat. Ashanti), "What's Luv?" (Fat Joe feat. Ashanti) (two No. 1s)

En Vogue: "Don't Let Go (Love)," "My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)," "Hold On"

Jackson 5: "Dancing Machine," "Never Can Say Goodbye," "Mama's Pearl" (four No. 1s; and, Michael Jackson added two solo: "The Girl Is Mine," with McCartney, and "Rockin' Robin")

Prince: "U Got the Look," "Raspberry Beret," "Purple Rain" (the latter two billed to Prince and the Revolution) (five No. 1s)

R. Kelly: "Ignition," "Satisfy You" (Puff Daddy feat. R. Kelly), "I Believe I Can Fly" (two No. 1s)

Usher: "I Need a Girl (Part One)" (P. Diddy feat. Usher & Loon), "My Way," "You Make Me Wanna..." (nine No. 1s)

And, that brings us to Rihanna, now with three No. 2-peaking Hot 100 hits (it appears): "Wild Thoughts" (likely), 2009's "Run This Town" (by JAY-Z, Rihanna & Kanye West) and her debut, 2005's "Pon De Replay."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7957889/ask-billboard-kelly-clarksons-career-sales-wild-thoughts-about

Express yourself, can't let go, you belong with me, rock with you, all en vogue songs, never can say goodbye, purple rain, i believe i can fly, i need a girl (part 1) and pon de replay deserved #1s

giphy.gif

The fact that CCR has legit classics and no #1s hurts my heart :jonny: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.