• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reverie

• jdmc219

• Rocket

• Pecinta Mariah

1 minute ago, nikkysan said:

I wonder how Mi Todo would've performed if it was included in the ranking...

@Reverie should have included the remixes.

The way My All/Stay Awhile would have ranked higher than the original.

:nicole:

2 minutes ago, Rocket said:

@Reverie should have included the remixes.

The way My All/Stay Awhile would have ranked higher than the original.

:nicole:

you better display some taste, a rare sight :blush::clap3:

So is The Roof coming for COMPLETE dominance in both lyrics and songs?

Is Breakdown putting an end to her reign of terror?

nah....

Or maybe?

Lmao u wish

jk! 

bZgXbcn.png

G1euca7.png

Average Ranking: 4.1

She came close! The right girl one tho

Stans (1st Place)@Actorguy21, @Auburn, @bestfiction, @Contrail, @DancingShoes, @Fantasea, @Halien4Life, @Legacy, @killer_rose, @Marq, @materialboy, @Mincy, @overdramatic, @Pepo, @SeanET, @SRIRACHA, @sk8erfan, @Tom Vercetti, @Truth Teller, @Veis, @Vilppu, @vipanonymous, @Woo

Almost Stans (2nd Place) @Buyonce1814, @Clueless, @digitaldistortion, @dreamloverfantasy, @Dylobs, @enxe,  @feelslikeadream, @GlitterfiedCyrus, @KLatz, @Lachlan, Mariah Carey♛, @mariahcarey, @MarinaKal, @maurixrosup, @minho, @nikkysan, @OpenBacardi, @Orpheus, @Pecinta Mariah, @Quicksand, @Soda Pop Queen, @StonedSoulPicnic, @Subomie, @swiftie13, @TheDreamer @TheWayWeWere

Almost Haters (11th Place)@Janet, @jdmc218, @Overprotected, @Superiore, @Tasty, @Venus XCX

Haters (12th Place) @Mariah4life

Comments

Actorguy21 - The Roof is my favorite song because lyrically its one of Mariah's best and the production has an amazing mysterious vibe. Vocally she handled it so delicately that don't think any other ainger would be able to swing that like she did ever. I also have always identified with the song with one of my ex lovers. Its also her best video. The roof is just everything!      

Babydoll. - Gorgeously written I just wish more of it was sung in chest voice :/

DTF - genius yet altogether overrated. 

EJQL8 - Legitimately the best thing she wrote, sang, and produced. Bless Jeter's dick for making Moo feel some type of way, and **** Motorola for wasting this masterpiece!

Mariah4Life - The song that made me jump off the roof.

Subomie - The mood that this song creates is unmatched by any other song Mariah ever made or would go on to make. Lyrically, this is always highlighted when talking about Mariah the writer and rightfully so. So cutting and yet so clever at the same time. A special mention has to go to how she manages to invoke emotion in her delivery while also having a weirdly hollow, empty feel to her voice, a feeling never again communicated in anything else she would create. This is a true moment of a song.

Veis - I think I have chosen this one mainly because I love how beautiful and haunting that song is, it's truly something special. But If I need to be honest, all first five songs on that list could've been #1 for me, I love them all really much and it would be harder to make it without that song sorter!

Edited by Reverie

KN1Cdhg.png

OykF4ZT.png

Average Ranking: 3.94

Our girl came thru in the end :heart2: 

Stans (1st Place)@alkralkra, @beans, @Buyonce1814, @Costa, @digitaldistortion, @dreamloverfantasy, @ECNEICSNOC, @jacklovesyou1, @Janet, @KLatz, @Luminescent, Mariah Carey♛, @maurixrosup, @minho, @Mohzy, @Orpheus, @Pikachoo, @Slamless, @Soda Pop Queen, @Subomie, @supaspaz, @Tetris, @TheDreamer, @TheWayWeWere, @theycallmemaraj, @Tigre, @Ventitonic, @Venus XCX

Almost Stans (2nd Place) @Ace Reject, @Auburn, @bestfiction, @cloudbusting, @conatus, @Contrail, @DancingShoes, @Don't Stop Me Now, @DoubleDutchess, @Fantasea, @Kool_Aid_King, @Marq, @MirrorcleMonster, @Neptune, @PopMusicJunkie, @Reba, @Reverie, @Rocket, @samseacrest, @Satin, @SRIRACHA, @valinaer

Almost Haters (11th Place)@Icarus, @Mariah4life, @OpenBacardi

Haters (12th Place) @Truth Teller

Comments

digitaldistortion - The video, the vocals, the lyrics  One of her best songs she’s ever

recorded.  

KLatz - Honestly, one of the best songs ever written. I've never listened to a song that describes the way I feel in a certain state to a T! Really encapsulates the charm and depth of Mariah's severely underrated song-writing abilities. I used to listen to this nightly for comfort through some emotional turmoil.

Soda Pop Queen - this song is just superbly written and it has this smooth r&b/hip-hop production that you only get in the 90s.

Subomie - The nonchalant delivery of the most cutting lyrics in her repertoire would on another song be an awful mistake, but Breakdown runs with the title all the way. Fully committed to the story, Mariah runs through her plights like reciting a grocery list at first. The nuances in the song as it goes on are something else. By the end she is shouting her adlibs over the beat. Really, you have to wonder if the title was a bit literal and that's why we ended up with the next few years. The lyrical game here in on point and straight to the heart. Mariah manages to make it personal and general all at once. And special mention to the Bone Thugs, Mariah is credited with popularizing the rent-a-rapper for popgirls but damn if she didn't do it well. The guys' verse is pure fire, bouncing off Mimi effortlessly and passing back to her for a final climax. A masterclass.

supaspaz - Mariah’s appeal as an artist has always been primarily aspirational, not confessional. Fans fell in love with her soaring power ballads that reflected their joy and their pain, their lust and their heartbreak, rather than any deeper truth about the woman who sang them. Even after an infamous public meltdown that nearly derailed her career, Mariah’s big comeback record was a return to the elusive chanteuse who achieved world domination, with nary a nod to the personal tumult that culminated in her stripping down on MTV as she passed out ice cream to a live studio audience.

There are cracks in the diva sheen on Butterfly, though. Released amid the breakup of her marriage to longtime mentor Tommy Mottola, the album captures the emergence of both a sexier, edgier sound and a newfound freedom. History tells us those developments are not unrelated. Mariah’s relationship with Mottola crumbled under the weight of his artistic and romantic control; Butterfly was her rebellion. And the strains of inspiration meld harmoniously on the album’s brilliant centerpiece, “Breakdown,” still the finest song in her extensive catalog.

Skittering over a hip-hop-inflected tune reminiscent of her guest rappers’ classic “Tha Crossroads,” Mariah is nearly unrecognizable from the gospel belter we first met on “Vision of Love.” Defeated and aching, her falsetto barely rises above a whisper; the second verse, in particular, lilts out of her with such weighted weariness that her emotional wounds are palpable. The vocal acrobatics we expect don’t appear until late in the second half, and even then, Mariah’s bombastic runs are mixed into the background of the track, a woman on the verge trying to suppress her spiraling rage and grief before she snaps completely. It feels, in its own subtle yet pointed way, like a rejection of the singer Motttola forced her to be—the songbird finally escaping the gilded cage that caused her so much misery.

Lyrical allusions to their divorce are harder to parse. This is not a Swift-ian diary entry, documenting specific memories and grievances for posterity. “Breakdown” functions more as a mood piece, the resonance arising from its extratextual dialogue with the tabloid gossip, and from the universality of its vague, possibly invented, anecdotes about failing to cope. Perhaps Mariah—after years of playing the carefully constructed global superstar, of trying to be all things to all people—was not quite ready to lay herself completely bare. With art this deeply felt, it doesn’t matter. We break down and cry along with her.

TheWayWeWere - It's always gonna be my favorite Mariah' song, because it's so close to me lyrically and it really helped me during a deep depression few years ago

Tigre - Breakdown is basically a lyrical masterpiece. I really enjoy how the beat rides. I mean...it's acclaimed for a damn reason. It deserves all the praise

Edited by Reverie