5 Close My Eyes
8 Whenever You Call
11 The Beautiful Ones
12 Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise
54 minutes ago, Reverie said:

NaFMSFf.png

ZLM4pb8.png

Avg Rank: 8.98

I admittedly heard Mariah’s cover years before stumbling upon the original, which only served to make Prince’s version that much more life changing when I did hear it. That’s not to say Mariah’s approach, a slowly simmered R&B jam with the slightest of fluctuations until gently bubbling into a climax, is entirely without merit. Perhaps in a world where Prince failed to conceive the song first, The Beautiful Ones would be a favorite among the fans. But as things stand now Prince’s take, with its unbridled longing and sheer desperation whose intensity can only be translated through bloodcurdling shrieks of desire, remains unmatched, and it seems most of you agreed.

Stans (1st Place) – @Alison Carey

Almost Stans (2nd Place)

Almost Haters (11th Place)@Ace Reject, @Actorguy21, @americanlife, @BraveNewSeth, @conatus, @DancingShoes, @Impala, @Ivory., @JessLM, @Kylie Minogue, @Marq, @Pecinta Mariah, Reverie, @sk8erfan, @Soda Pop Queen, @Subomie, @TheDreamer, @Witch Privilege

Haters (12th Place) @cloudbusting, @DoubleDutchess, @DTF, @GlitterfiedCyrus, @HAPPI•LIL•PILL, @killer_rose, @Lachlan, @jacklovesyou1, @Luminescent, Mariah Carey♛, @Mincy, @minho, @MirrorcleMonster, @Nightingale, @noonbob, @overdramatic, @Pikachoo, @Pop culture, @StonedSoulPicnic, @Quicksand, @Tetris, @valinaer, @Ventitonic, @Vilppu, @Zaynsus

Comments

Only one stan of this song. I think this means something. The rest of us aren't haters. We just think there's no place for this cover in Butterfly. An 11 track album would be amazing.

RnLa8ZE.gif

Just now, DoubleDutchess said:

Only one stan of this song. I think this means something. The rest of us aren't haters. We just think there's no place for this cover in Butterfly. An 11 track album would be amazing.

RnLa8ZE.gif

It's in ha trinity of covers and Top 5 on Butterfly.

:nicole:

Can we get another performance rn to deal with the loss of Outside

some of us need to care for our mental health

FO2Nc1A.gif

LReYmTj.png

VLJreYl.png

Avg Rank: 6.59

For 5 minutes and 6 seconds Mariah feens for a fuccboi who’s probably already moved onto the next helplessly dick-insatiable thot, instantly making Babydoll the most relatable song of the album. Half joking of course. It’s unclear whether the object of her desire even knows of her existence – at best, Mariah’s being a clingy hoe after a one-night stand turned out to be better than she ever could have imagined. Thankfully what Mariah lacks in intimacy, she makes up for with musicality. Drifting in and out of consciousness as she lays in a bed of intricate layers and harmonies, you almost forget that her callings remain unfulfilled.

Stans (1st Place)@Babydoll., @Ivory., @Kylie Minogue, @Million, @noonbob, @Satin, @Taste of Honey @Zaynsus

Almost Stans (2nd Place) @Dangerous Woman, @ECNEICSNOC, @jacklovesyou1, @Overprotected, @Redamancy, @Ventitonic, @Wicked

Almost Haters (11th Place)@alkralkra, @Don't Stop Me Now, @enxe, @killer_rose, @MirrorcleMonster, @NewRihannaStan, @Pikachoo

Haters (12th Place) @Contrail, @Icarus, @mariahcarey, @Taemira, @Tasty, @Veis

Comments

Contrail - dismal trash that should never have seen the light of day

enxe  - A good song, but one that doesn't speak to me as much as the others do

Subomie - The true grower of the album. Honey seduces you overtly, slapping you with its metaphorical ****, but this is a more subdued approach. Mariah embraces her full femeninity and invites you into the sheets for 5 minutes. The chorus is the most underrated earworm of the album imo, and the way she adds more and more adlibs over it as the song goes on is a thing of beauty. I haven't even talked about Missy's writing and Timbaland's production here. The trio stuck gold and the skittering beat is a great compliment to Mariah.