PLATINUM HIT 11▴ congratulations aurora ♛

Jackson

14 hours ago, Jackson said:

Hide contents

AURORA, you....

Reveal hidden contents

WIN yet again. Loch Ness snatches #1 with a score of 8.575. Congrats Niko on #2

tenor.gif

Not but for real, I didn't see this coming, especially after ceremonials' rankings. :eek: Kinda thought minho had it in the bag actually, but thanks y'all! Made pushing on through sickness and work stress that much more worth it.

Congrats to @Gastrodonatella @minho and @KatyCatPH on the comebacks! You all deserved it, without question.

14 hours ago, UFO said:

:ahh:  :ahh:  Aurora her unbroken domination :skull:  :clap3:  I'd lowkey be worried if I went #1 two weeks back-to-back :jonny:  I'd feel so much pressure to maintain that level of quality ajkhsgj

nn don't worry sis, I'll be doing enough of that. :laugh: It's a double edged sword.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ultraviolence.xx

• Jackson

• UFO

• ceremonials

As far as this challenge goes, I like. When I saw the title I thought us contestants were going to be working in groups of 4 or something to make one song. :laugh: I have a couple ideas but I'm not super familiar with any of the artists outside of a handful of tracks. I've been meaning to get into twenty one pilots for the longest time though, so maybe I'll start there.

I am really struggling. I still have to choose which artist to write for. :jonny:

I remember the first time I ever had to write a song for an artist...I chose Kesha. It was so convincing as a Kesha song that it got me eliminated. The next time I wrote a song for an artist was for Christina Aguilera...particularly, for the "Stripped" album. It was such a good Christina Aguilera song that it almost got me eliminated (as it was practically a song that was already on the album I guess). Then when we had to do sequels, I did Ariana Grande's "Moonlight", which charted at #6, ending the Top 5 streak I had going at the time, but relatively successful considering my luck with writing songs based on artists before!

Anyway, I have a bad history with these challenges so even though I do really like my song (the Christina Aguilera and Ariana Grande songs are among my favorite PH songs I've written), my actual expectations aren't high.

2 minutes ago, Hug said:

I remember the first time I ever had to write a song for an artist...I chose Kesha. It was so convincing as a Kesha song that it got me eliminated. The next time I wrote a song for an artist was for Christina Aguilera...particularly, for the "Stripped" album. It was such a good Christina Aguilera song that it almost got me eliminated (as it was practically a song that was already on the album I guess). Then when we had to do sequels, I did Ariana Grande's "Moonlight", which charted at #6, ending the Top 5 streak I had going at the time, but relatively successful considering my luck with writing songs based on artists before!

Anyway, I have a bad history with these challenges so even though I do really like my song, my actual expectations aren't high.

You're not alone. :weeps: "Forever in a Moment" – the summer bop I wrote for Cat Venti a.k.a. Ariana Grande – was my lowest peaking song ever at the time. "Katrina" – an urban song I wrote for your Kayn a.k.a a Zayn/The Weeknd hybrid – underperformed. (In fact, looking at my career chart, these two songs are back-to-back in terms of score. :skull:) Hopefully this song doesn't join them...

1 minute ago, Aurora said:

You're not alone. :weeps: "Forever in a Moment" – the summer bop I wrote for Cat Venti a.k.a. Ariana Grande – was my lowest peaking song ever at the time. "Katrina" – an urban song I wrote for your Kayn a.k.a a Zayn/The Weeknd hybrid – underperformed. (In fact, looking at my career chart, these two songs are back-to-back in terms of score. :skull:) Hopefully this song doesn't join them...

Katrina was robbed wtf. :rip: 

8 minutes ago, Hug said:

Katrina was robbed wtf. :rip: 

tbh reading it back, the way I just jacked the flow of The Hills and Party Monster. :lmao: Hopefully I can do someone else more justice.

Just now, Aurora said:

tbh reading it back, the way I just jacked the flow of The Hills and Party Monster. :lmao: Hopefully I can do someone else more justice.

Party Monster is a smash in all fairness! I want to make my Year End aesthetic inspired by the MV for it.

6 minutes ago, Hug said:

Party Monster is a smash in all fairness! I want to make my Year End aesthetic inspired by the MV for it.

I always forget about Year Ends until it's too last to spend enough time on graphics and then I rush it and end up abandoning it. :rip: But that sounds fabulous... lemme start thinking of concepts and ideas... :matty:

Oh yeah, and writing this song. :eddie:

So if anyone else knows of Ansel Elgort, I'm dedicating a post to him :cm: 

When I first heard his song "Thief", I thought it was pretty bad. It felt like it was written by a PH contestant eliminated in Round 1. :ahh: However, I listened to it a couple more times and started stanning, and now it's a contender for Top 10 on my year end. I decided to listen to another song of his, this time, "All I Think About Is You", and again I thought it was bad at first...but it only took me to the end of the song to want to replay it again and now I don't want to go to sleep because then I couldn't bop. :ahh: 

White twinks always win for me I guess.

Lemme edit this post to say...goodnight and good luck! If any of you have something you want a second opinion on, feel free to send me a message. I'll get to it once I wake up. :cm: 

• ATRL Moderator
9 hours ago, keshaspearsxo said:

Anyway in regards to the challenge I don't really like when we get these "imitate this artists' style" rounds, but whatever

I really liked the fictional artists one for ph 10.5. That was fun

3 hours ago, Tsareena said:

I really liked the fictional artists one for ph 10.5. That was fun

Yeah I prefer it when they are made up. Because then there is nothing for you to be compared against. You still have a lot of room to do your own thing without being criticised, because you can't really be expected to imitate a person who doesn't exist. I like it when it's more about following a tone or theme rather than explicitly jacking somebody's style, or at least attempting to. 

12 minutes ago, keshaspearsxo said:

Yeah I prefer it when they are made up. Because then there is nothing for you to be compared against. You still have a lot of room to do your own thing without being criticised, because you can't really be expected to imitate a person who doesn't exist. I like it when it's more about following a tone or theme rather than explicitly jacking somebody's style, or at least attempting to. 

Especially when you're having to do artists like Florence, 21P, or Amy who have such abstract or particular styles that are based off their personalities or vocal stylings. 

There isn't a basis of comparison with fictional artists, but imitating the style and tone of a real artist in a writing camp is pretty close to a real-world application of what we do here.

Yeah. Also, some participants have already expressed little to no interest in any of these artists, so that could hurt motivation.  

I like Amy and my mom actually owns Back To Black so I kinda know her style I guess.

I appreciate and like how Jackson decided to pull a twist on each round of this Season, but past traditions have worked well in several seasons for a reason. 

And no shade but the artists chosen for this round are widely acclaimed and loved for their song writing, so the bar is set really high, which could result in a lot of backfiring. 

Just now, PoKiTaurus said:

And no shade but the artists chosen for this round are widely acclaimed and loved for their song writing, so the bar is set really high, which could result in a lot of backfiring. 

I already am praying for whoever does Amy for this exact reason. :skull: 

I'm not grading on "would Dolly sing this?" as much as, would this stylistically and narratively fit alongside some of the songs she has done? You can still write about whatever you want, the challenge is just to try writing in a different mindset. It's no different from the idea of an assigned genre round. 

28 minutes ago, keshaspearsxo said:

I prefer

29 minutes ago, keshaspearsxo said:

I like

=/= this is too hard whine whine whine :cries:

The consensus between a few posts on this page seems to be the challenge is 1) too restrictive and 2) hard to measure up to these songwriters. My solutions, respectively, are to be more creative and challenge yourself. Not just talking about u pea, the other gorls count too

• ATRL Moderator
15 hours ago, UFO said:

GLtWh3P.gif

Oh wow, lowkey a slay. I like the repeated lines in parens, esp. considering the subject of the song. The 'kiss could never reach' part was nice and the pre-chorus was giving me FKA Twigs teas. I think some small parts of it are overwritten; sometimes it seems like you go for ~unique~ wording at the expense of clarity (Narcissus wouldn't quite see himself AMIDST a sea?). And this felt a TAD overstuffed with references (Echo, Midas, Atlantis, etc.; they're not even from a shared source). But from what I remember from the past, it seems like you've grown a lot as a writer and some of this was quite good.

if y'all want me to whine, ya girl can whine. :) but none of the posts above by anybody was whining. expressing the difficulty of a challenge in a conversational fashion is not whining.