Book Discussion

velocity

28 minutes ago, geddymonster said:

Have you read any of the Shadowhunter books before?

yes, I never read them though

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• velocity

• Miles.

• ChatshireCat

3 minutes ago, Ares said:

Clare's best work thus far

2hfi64h.jpg

Although The Dark Artifices is coming for wigs, so hold on

2hfi64h.jpg

Clockwork Princess is one of only two books to make me cry. :jonny: It's probably my favorite trilogy of all time.

--

The end of Lady Midnight had me like:

amy_zpsa01be815.gif

I'm excited to see where it goes, though.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:40 PM, Saturnator said:

Please read Maurice by E.M. Forster

i'll have to do that, Howards End is one of my favorites

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

yes, I never read them though

If you haven't read any of them, I would suggest starting with the first three books of The Mortal Instruments, because The Infernal Devices is a prequel trilogy to that series. This is the order you're supposed to read them:

1. The Mortal Instruments, Book One: City of Bones

2. The Mortal Instruments, Book Two: City of Ashes

3. The Mortal Instruments, Book Three: City of Glass

4. The Infernal Devices, Book One: Clockwork Angel

5. The Mortal Instruments, Book Four: City of Fallen Angels

6. The Infernal Devices, Book Two: Clockwork Prince

7. The Mortal Instruments, Book Five: City of Lost Souls

8. The Infernal Devices, Book Three: Clockwork Princess

9. The Mortal Instruments, Book Six: City of Heavenly Fire

You want to read them in this order because they are very interconnected and if you read them out of order there will be spoilers. You kind of have to power through the first book, City of Bones, because there is a lot of world building and character development. It is a really amazing series, though, and I would highly recommend it. I know nine books probably seems kind of daunting, but they are well worth the time!

P.S. - If you've seen the movie or TV show, don't let the taint your judgment. The books are infinitely better.

11 minutes ago, geddymonster said:

If you haven't read any of them, I would suggest starting with the first three books of The Mortal Instruments, because The Infernal Devices is a prequel trilogy to that series. This is the order you're supposed to read them:

1. The Mortal Instruments, Book One: City of Bones

2. The Mortal Instruments, Book Two: City of Ashes

3. The Mortal Instruments, Book Three: City of Glass

4. The Infernal Devices, Book One: Clockwork Angel

5. The Mortal Instruments, Book Four: City of Fallen Angels

6. The Infernal Devices, Book Two: Clockwork Prince

7. The Mortal Instruments, Book Five: City of Lost Souls

8. The Infernal Devices, Book Three: Clockwork Princess

9. The Mortal Instruments, Book Six: City of Heavenly Fire

You want to read them in this order because they are very interconnected and if you read them out of order there will be spoilers. You kind of have to power through the first book, City of Bones, because there is a lot of world building and character development. It is a really amazing series, though, and I would highly recommend it. I know nine books probably seems kind of daunting, but they are well worth the time!

P.S. - If you've seen the movie or TV show, don't let the taint your judgment. The books are infinitely better.

Wow this is such a great guide! Thank you so much :date2:

Just now, Nightmare said:

Wow this is such a great guide! Thank you so much :date2:

No problem! I made the mistake of reading them out of order the first time, so I wouldn't want you to make the same mistake. :jonny:

2 minutes ago, geddymonster said:

No problem! I made the mistake of reading them out of order the first time, so I wouldn't want you to make the same mistake. :jonny:

I'll try to get to them soon! I really really appreciate that. It's always so hard for me to maintain a steady reading pace when I am at school because of all of the work and reading I have to do for classes :emofish:  

Does anyone else have that problem or any tips to handle that better?

i actually read the shadow hunter series and loved it but could never get into the infernal devices :michael:

also currently stuck on the tales from the shadowhunter academy and it's such a drag. simon was always my least favorite and i hate reading out of his perspective but i've been told you have to read it in order to appreciate lady midnight better

3 hours ago, geddymonster said:

Clockwork Princess is one of only two books to make me cry. :jonny: It's probably my favorite trilogy of all time.

--

The end of Lady Midnight had me like:

amy_zpsa01be815.gif

I'm excited to see where it goes, though.

I was like "Cassie if you don't...."

amy_zpsa01be815.gif

I hate love triangles so much :jonny:

____

I wish I had more time to read during the semester. I can usually get away with a book or two if they're fast paced. 

16 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I'll try to get to them soon! I really really appreciate that. It's always so hard for me to maintain a steady reading pace when I am at school because of all of the work and reading I have to do for classes :emofish:  

Does anyone else have that problem or any tips to handle that better?

I have the same problem. The last thing I want to do whenever I finish doing all my reading for school is open another book. :jonny: I mostly do all my leisure reading when I'm on break. I am currently slowly making my way through The Bane Chronicles, though.

14 hours ago, Ares said:

I was like "Cassie if you don't...."

amy_zpsa01be815.gif

I hate love triangles so much :jonny:

____

I wish I had more time to read during the semester. I can usually get away with a book or two if they're fast paced. 

I was more mad at what Julian did at the end. And the fact that Magnus went along with it was so out of character...

amy_zpsa01be815.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I read Lauren Grahams book which I enjoyed but now i've fallen back into a reading slump ugh

i've read most of the shadowhunter books. none are good. some are less bad than others.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2017 at 11:45 PM, Ledex said:

Just finished A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. I'm gonna need a moment month to compose myself to start anew. :deadbanana3:

I have read this last year, and I think it took me a month to finish. Quite an exhausting read, but enjoyable nevertheless. I don't know if enjoyable is the right term, but it's a great book. I understand the hype. I wasn't able to read a book for three weeks though. 

___

Finally found the Book Discussion thread! Hello, everybody! :eddie:

• 4 weeks later...

Underground Railroad follows in the footsteps of All the Light We Cannot See and The Goldfinch, winning the Pulitzer for being a big hit that was also a Literary Novel.

• 2 months later...

Books that have been on Amazon's annual T20 bestseller list for multiple years (inc 2017 YTD)

Oh the Places You’ll Go #1, #5, #17, #15

Hunger Games #4, #5; Catching Fire #7, #11; Mockingjay #8, #9, #8; Box Set #11

To Kill a Mockingbird #16, #12, #16; Go Set a Watchman #6

Fault in Our Stars #14, #4, #14

Help #17, #4

A Man Called Ove #10, #11

Giraffes Can’t Dance #16, #8

Girl on the Train #20, #9

Gone Girl #17, #12

Day the Crayons Quit #20, #12

Divergent #13, #19

Book Thief #18, #15

Ice and Fire Box Set #15, #10; Dance with Dragons #13

Wimpy Kid 11 #6, 10 #11,9 #5, 8 #3, 7 #9, 6 #3, 5 #6

Percy Jackson Blood #8, Hades #7, Athena #13, Neptune #14

Anyone here read A Song of Ice and Fire? I want to but it's so much. Is it worth it? 

7 minutes ago, Danixoxo said:

Anyone here read A Song of Ice and Fire? I want to but it's so much. Is it worth it? 

Yes, it's amazing. Better than the show (and I love the show). 

You have to be willing to slog through the first 400 pages (half the book) of AGOT tho. It's all set up, and it's very tough to get into. But after that it's immensely worth it. 

It’s average, highly uneven fantasy; grrm hasn't written a single good book yet. I prefer brandon sanderson and urban-mode jim butcher and fantasy-mode stephen king.

also rowling and laini taylor and tamora pierce. 

Edited by fridayteenage

Hello :coffee:

So ever since my local library got shut down back in 2013 (TRAGIC DISGUSTING decision Ik), I didn't really read a book. So 4 years passed and I haven't read a book :sick:

Two weeks ago I was at a yard sale and found all 4 books of Eragon for super cheap, I ended up buying it. Finished the first book today, I cried :jonny:The way I can fit myself in his boots is a bit scary for me :jonny:

It sorta sparked up my lost interest in books :flower:Even then I was a major flop. I never even read the Harry Potter books :toofunny2:

I did read the first 5 Percy Jackson books. Apparently 7 more books were released (screaming), are they any good?

I was 15 back when it closed down so my knowledge in books is pretty bad, I'll be honest.

-

So I think the first Eragon book is pretty cute. It's nothing THAT unique or out of this world, but considering the writer was still a teen when he wrote it, it's very impressive imo! I never met someone as young as 16 who wrote a full length book before. I kinda got a soft spot for it in my heart cause it low key was shockingly similar to the last year I had nnn, but the pacing was kinda slow and there were a lot of useless characters that appeared for only like, 5 pages at most.

I would rate it as 7.8 / 10 :gaycat4:

^^^^ I love the Eragon series!  One of the few "teen" series that holds up for me now that I'm older.

Percy Jackson is more of a "kid" series in my opinion.  I enjoyed it when I was 12 but it's not something I would ever reread.  Same with the Shadowhunter books.

6 hours ago, Danixoxo said:

Don't do it. It's been six years since his last book with no release date for his next one in sight. You'll end up bitter and frustrated. Especially since the next book isn't even the last one. Just watch the show, it's not as good as the books but at least it will be over by next year. 

___

I liked the Eragon series and I felt the books got stronger as each one came out but I can't read it again because the ending to the last one so so unsatisfying it kills my interest.

I've recently been trying to find another high fantasy series but I've been unsuccessful. Any recommendations?

2 hours ago, Ares said:

Don't do it. It's been six years since his last book with no release date for his next one in sight. You'll end up bitter and frustrated. Especially since the next book isn't even the last one. Just watch the show, it's not as good as the books but at least it will be over by next year. 

I've recently been trying to find another high fantasy series but I've been unsuccessful. Any recommendations?

Trololol I started ASOIF in 2011 and read one book per year (I was in uni and worked full time during the summer so I could only read in Dec and May) thinking that I would SURELY have WOW by the time I was done DWD............ I was such a fool.  Now I'm definitely bitter and frustrated.  

Still, it's the best fantasy series ever and I'm still looking for another high fantasy series to match it.  I've tried so many books and nothing compares.  Most recently I tried Marc Turner's Chronicle of the Exile series and didn't make it more than a couple of hundred pages.  Currently I have David Hair's Mage's Blood (haven't started yet) so we'll see how that goes...

Ddd the mixed responses. It'll be 2.5 months til uni starts and I have so much time left, I might just try the first. :cm:

• 3 weeks later...

Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive is better.

Whew, Amazon has a chart for the most read books each week now. Lookee what's dominating:

3 Sorcerer's Stone

6 Order of the Phoenix

9 Goblet of Fire

13 Deathly Hallows

14 Half Blood Prince

17 Chamber of Secrets

18 Prisoner of Azkaban

Legendary. Iconic. Winning. 

JK Rowling should really consider making another book in the franchise. Even if it's their kids, or a spin off on other characters, a prequel on Harry's parents... SOMETHING!

This franchise is still so alive and there's so much more she can write about. :duca: