Book Discussion

velocity

I can co-sign Tender is the Flesh, great book. I wouldn’t call it scary but moreso unnerving and thought provoking. I hope more from the author gets translated. 

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• velocity

• Miles.

• ChatshireCat

On 10/12/2021 at 5:34 PM, fountain said:

I’m really excited for this. So happy for Reece Gonzales to be playing Dante :clap3:

Currently reading the sequel and it’s good so far 

Hmm, I felt it got better as it went along. The early parts were just okay.

But largely, I don't really care that much about the romance, especially because Dante never really comes off as a real person to me. Ari's relationships with his friends and family and himself are done well though with some very emotional moments.

I just finished reading American Psycho.. uhh I loved the movie and I can handle gore but this was too much for me, I actually felt sick and ended up skimming the last couple pages. 

Thoughts on this theory that this is an allegory for the AIDS epidemic/Bateman/Price all the men in this are gay? It's really convincing :rip:

American Psycho: Maybe Not The Book You Think It Is | italkyoubored (wordpress.com)

Edited by Butters

On 10/15/2021 at 8:10 PM, fridayteenage said:

Hmm, I felt it got better as it went along. The early parts were just okay.

But largely, I don't really care that much about the romance, especially because Dante never really comes off as a real person to me. Ari's relationships with his friends and family and himself are done well though with some very emotional moments.

I hate to be negative about it because I absolutely love the first book, but I ended up being really disappointed with the sequel :chick3:

Overall felt quite messy and disjointed to me… I really got a sense that it was kind of being made up as he went along. It’s reviewing great though, people seem to be enjoying it which is good, but it really was not what I was looking or hoping for. There was hardly even any decent focus on their relationship in this after the beginning, which was very weird to me, and probably why it lost me along the way. Not that I was in it solely for the relationship aspect, but it was what I found most compelling. The unnecessarily long parts all about Ari in school was so mind numbingly boring, I could hardly take it. There were some good aspects, such as how Ari grew as a person, but in the end this sequel left very little impression on me, while the first had a huge impact. I know an original concept for the sequel was that it would’ve been from Dante’s POV, and I think maybe that could have worked better ultimately. 

That said, I reread the first book before going into the sequel, and that one luckily held up fully for me. Maybe if I were to read this again in the future, knowing what to expect now and not having expectations to live up to, then I might find more appreciation in it. But wow, how unfortunate, I had been looking forward to it so much :chick3:

On 10/18/2021 at 10:47 PM, Butters said:

I just finished reading American Psycho.. uhh I loved the movie and I can handle gore but this was too much for me, I actually felt sick and ended up skimming the last couple pages. 

Thoughts on this theory that this is an allegory for the AIDS epidemic/Bateman/Price all the men in this are gay? It's really convincing :rip:

American Psycho: Maybe Not The Book You Think It Is | italkyoubored (wordpress.com)

Me too at certain pages, and I am usually not sensitive to fictional violence at all, but whew :rip: 

I read the theory and I feel like some of the points make sense and some of them not so much. I guess you could interpreted the story this way, but it seems like a stretch in some places.

Just read Klara and the Sun and it was AMAZING, can’t wait to read more Ishiguro because I loved this so much. Also about to finish Convenience Store Woman which is fantastic too, these two definitely wouldn’t be for all types of readers but personally I’ve adored both. 

1 hour ago, fountain said:

Just read Klara and the Sun and it was AMAZING, can’t wait to read more Ishiguro because I loved this so much. Also about to finish Convenience Store Woman which is fantastic too, these two definitely wouldn’t be for all types of readers but personally I’ve adored both. 

Check “Never Let Me Go”! So simple yet nostalgic. 

I’ve just read De Profundis by Oscar Wilde. Intense.

8 hours ago, Halcyon Days said:

Check “Never Let Me Go”! So simple yet nostalgic. 

I’ve just read De Profundis by Oscar Wilde. Intense.

I picked up Never Let Me Go too, so that’ll probably be the next I read from him, but I’ve ordered The Remains of the Day also after how much I loved Klara :jonny6: very excited, feels like he could be a new favourite author from what I’ve seen. 

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN

y’all need to read it. It will forever hold a place in my heart. 
I’m currently reading Dune and loving it having watched the movie prior

• 2 months later...

Happy New Years!!!

Bumping  this thread because, why not? 

I recently read The Maidens, Giovanni’s Room & The Secret History!

The Maidens, well, it started off interesting but as it progressed it just became tedious. The ending plot twist was atrocious & somewhat predictable, would not recommend!

Giovanni’s Room was achingly fantastic, loved it immensely! Needed a good lgbt story to cleanse my palate after reading LESS which I thought was mid…

The Secret History, I really enjoyed this actually! I thought it was well written & kept me intrigued despite it lagging in some parts. While reading I thought this would make a fun film/tv show only later finding out that it was supposed to be a film starring Gwyneth Paltrow but it was ultimately canned. HBO should get rights & make it a limited series, it would totally be a cute little hit for them! 

Up next is, Tender is the Flesh, The Kind Worth Killing & Billy Summers!

What have y’all been reading as of late?!
Any recommendations?!?

Edited by Xantalli

Wanted to get into reading so I bought first three Harry Potter books

Best of 2018 - Casual Talk - Heartbreakers - A Cult Fandom Forum

1 hour ago, Xantalli said:

Up next is, Tender is the Flesh, The Kind Worth Killing & Billy Summers!

The first is really interesting and different. The others are ok.

2021 Trinities

Fiction - Honey Girl/Morgan Rogers 
Last Night at the Telegraph Club/Malinda Lo
Light from Uncommon Stars/Ryka Aoki

Nonfiction - Beautiful Country/Qian Julie Wang
Crying in H Mart/Michelle Zauner

On Juneteenth/Annette Gordon-Reed

I loved Norwegian Wood so Kafka on the Shore will be the next Murakami novel to read

I've got into the Outlander World. After watching the series, I've decided to start reading the books.

And they are great. I've read the first book, titled Outlander, and a novel Virgins. I'm on the second one now, Dragonfly in Amber. 

Has anyone else read anything from Diana Gabaldon? 

Does anyone have gay book recs? Idc the genre as long as it isn’t YA

Yesterday's purchases

81BZAysfpcL.jpg81zFISiVkeL.jpg71rwGhb8K6L.jpg

Added to the "to-read" shelf with 200 other books :cm:

On 1/2/2022 at 12:17 PM, Bhabylon said:

Does anyone have gay book recs? Idc the genre as long as it isn’t YA

Less by Andrew Greer

Guncle by Steven Rowey

they're fun gay fiction books 

4 hours ago, Mitsouko said:

Yesterday's purchases

81BZAysfpcL.jpg81zFISiVkeL.jpg71rwGhb8K6L.jpg

Added to the "to-read" shelf with 200 other books :cm:

I'll be perched for your review of Miss Dior. I've been wanting to pick it up but my stack of unread books keeps growing :deadbanana4:

58 minutes ago, R.E.M. said:

Less by Andrew Greer

Guncle by Steven Rowey

they're fun gay fiction books 

I'll be perched for your review of Miss Dior. I've been wanting to pick it up but my stack of unread books keeps growing :deadbanana4:

Don't wait on me :rip: I have maybe 200 books waiting around and I keep buying more. I'll probably read that one sooner rather than later but who knows :rip:

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading Station Eleven so that I can watch the show now that it’s done airing, and yup it’s the serve I was expecting. Love the interconnectedness and multiple storylines, only downside is there can be a lot of character names to remember and I keep overlooking some, but I’m thoroughly enjoying it. 

On 1/13/2022 at 6:26 AM, fountain said:

Currently reading Station Eleven so that I can watch the show now that it’s done airing, and yup it’s the serve I was expecting. Love the interconnectedness and multiple storylines, only downside is there can be a lot of character names to remember and I keep overlooking some, but I’m thoroughly enjoying it. 

Just started this too and I’m so excited :party:, I really love this genre.

Just finished Malibu Rising and it was meh honestly. 

9 minutes ago, Ramona16 said:

Just started this too and I’m so excited :party:, I really love this genre.

Just finished Malibu Rising and it was meh honestly. 

I’m going to finish it tonight, it’s so good, honestly get ready for a ride :jonny5: the way it just slowly builds and builds with connections… :clap3:

I felt the same way about Malibu Rising tbh. Read it right after Evelyn Hugo and it just didn’t hit the same. It was fine enough and not necessarily bad, but so inconsequential. Hoping that Daisy Jones is better as I haven’t read that one yet. 

I’ve come to the conclusion that the majority of goodreads users have terrible taste!!

I’ve read three books that they’ve rated pretty high on the best of 2021 Mystery & Thriller list (I’ve been so into that genre after reading Rebecca) & so far it’s ranged from okay to absolutely terrible omg!

Billy Summer : okay 

Rock Paper Scissors: very mid, did not enjoy her writing style & was not moved by the twists!

The Maidens: OMG one of the worst books of 2021 pure shite 

Anyways, I’ve enjoyed more of the books y’all have recommended on here actually. 
So here’s hoping this thread remains more active this year!

:gaycat4:

On 1/1/2022 at 11:30 AM, fridayteenage said:

The first is really interesting and different. The others are ok.

2021 Trinities

Fiction - Honey Girl/Morgan Rogers 
Last Night at the Telegraph Club/Malinda Lo
Light from Uncommon Stars/Ryka Aoki

Nonfiction - Beautiful Country/Qian Julie Wang
Crying in H Mart/Michelle Zauner

On Juneteenth/Annette Gordon-Reed

Thanks! Adding these to my reading list :gaycat4: