Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Divine

'Divergent' finale in the works as a TV series for Starz

Divine

allg_international_final.jpg

Premium cable network Starz is developing a TV take on Ascendant, which was to be the fourth movie in the Divergent franchise.

Ascendant is in its early stages of development. It's unclear if the project would reunite any of the stars of the films including Shailene Woodley, Theo James and Ansel Elgort. Lionsgate TV and Starz declined comment.

After seeing diminishing box-office returns, Lionsgate opted to first slash the budget on Ascendant before dropping the feature completely. 

Woodley, for her part, has been open to completing the story. The actress, who stars as Tris, initially rejected the idea of doing a TV movie to wrap the franchise. "I signed up to tell the whole story of Tris, and I would love to be able to do that," she said in September. "Nothing would make me happier." Multiple stars are expected to opt out of their deals if the movie evolves into a TV series. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ascendant-series-works-at-starz-as-divergent-franchise-moves-tv-1026276

Background: The studio planned Allegiant as a two-part movie in the vein of Deathly Hallows, Mockingjay, etc., but then part 1 bombed and they canceled the second movie completely.:rip:

mandomantecado

OMFG!!! That's so sad. I was SUCH a huge fan of this series, but I never even went to see the third movie. The books were so much better. 

Hector

How this series fell so far so fast... :ahh: 

ALA

I don't get why they just didn't make a low budget final movie... no one wants a TV movie, especially with no Shailene, Ansel, etc. :mazen:

Inner Insanity

I mean the last book was tragic so I'm not surprised it bombed. The completion of the story isn't that great.

VelvetCrush

The second and third movies were bad so I'm not surprised

FrederickSpears

They ruined the entire franchise by dropping it like that that :rip: If the original cast isn't in this I won't be watching it

Cute

they destroyed this series tbh i never even began reading the third book yet 

Can't_M!ss_This

Only Harry Potter deserved to have the final movie split into 2. None of the other lessors came close. Especially since the other series' books just kept getting worse. 

But this would be nice for the fans 

xDiamondx

Its what she deserved.gif :cm: 

To be honest, almost all of these YA Harry Potter wannabes couldn't pull off the quality of Harry Potter, so it's no wonder most of them flopped. The books of those ones are even worse since their authors are horrible writers to begin with. :laugh: 

Mimie

GB9KNjM.gif

geddymonster

The last book was trash, so...

tenor.gif

PrinceJawbreaker

YA fiction is just terrible. End of story

KKW

They started the franchise too soon. THG was still in its peak, especially after the release of Catching Fire which increased their hype massively. They should've waited until after the first Mockingjay came out imo. The demographic for these franchises have trouble being fixated on two things at once, unless both were really popular. Divergent was popular, but not enough to coexist with THG.

Pop

tenor.gif

Blue Honeymoon

Every YA franchise that came after Harry Potter has failed to capture its magic, charm and universal appeal. Movie studios better understand that Harry Potter is a once in a lifetime phenomenom, and no Hunger Games, Divergent, Maze Runner or Percy Jackson will ever come close to its peak. So dividing the last (horrible) book of the Divergent series in two movies was a terrible idea, since no one was here for the franchise after the second film.

Luner45

If they're looking to make the fourth film a TV series with that original script but with a new cast, they might as well reboot the franchise as a whole. Just like a series of unfortunate events, I would be here to see a TV show based on the divergent trilogy. 

Lukey

I really like the movies though...

This is TRAGIC.

Black Lives Matter

tenor.gif

Slate

The downfall :skull:. This series had potential, and the first two books were good. I never even saw or read Allegiant.

Paddy

I mean, what did they expect anyway.. The last book is the worst, nothing in it happens, they should have make the final book as one movie and let it be.. but no..  I can't see any of the stars coming back, especially if its going to be a tv show.. 

bookreader

Harry Potter, ha impact.

But yeah, no one will be able to capture the 2 part finale like The Deathly Hallows

Scandalous

I actually liked this series :emofish:

I mean if HBO can get Shailene and other A-listers for Big Little Lies, surely Starz can get her, Miles, Theo, Ansel, etc

Desire

I was literally thinking the other day about how I never saw the last movie but it turns about the last one wasn't even in the works :rip: