HDD : Billboard is irrelevant / fake news

infrared

15 hours ago, Sunshine. said:

Everyone can learn something from this.

Hopefully this will make Billboard change its streaming rules so that artist who can't sell albums don't get unfair boosts cause one song became a meme.  :fan:

It's the only way my fave will be able to compete on the album charts when her album is indefinitely stuck on Tidal next era. :emofish:

!!!

BB200 is for album consmption. One song generating gazillions of streams doesn't make the entire album popular.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kassi

• swissman

• Blue Rose

• infrared

On 29/07/2017 at 6:53 AM, swissman said:

For sure!
And they need to get song streams out of counting for the Billboard 200.

I don't think they need to get rid of song streams altogether, but there needs to be some changes to prevent albums with one or two popular singles from dominating the album charts, even though almost no-one listens to the other songs on the album. The UK Official charts method seems much better than the method used in the Billboard 200.

In order to ensure the continuing integrity of the Official Albums Chart, all streams will be counted from the standard version of each album, but with the two most streamed tracks down-weighted to prevent them from skewing the album’s overall performance.

https://www.bpi.co.uk/home/uks-official-albums-chart-to-include-streaming-for-the-first-time.aspx

Official Charts will take the 12 most-streamed tracks from each album. The top 2 will be down-weighted in line with the average of the next 10. These streams will then be added together and divided by 1,000. This ‘stream factor’ will then be added to the physical/digital sales of the album. 

The reason for down-weighting the 2 most streamed tracks is to ensure that if an album features up to two smash hit singles, streams of these tracks do not skew the performance of their parent album in the Official Album Chart. Extreme examples of this might include huge hits such as Blurred Lines on the Robin Thicke album, Get Lucky on Random Access Memories, All Of Me on John Legend’s album Love In The Future, or Uptown Funk on Mark Ronson’s Uptown Special - but this is an even wider issue, with almost all albums featuring one or two singles whose streams could skew their album chart position. 

Edited by Letemtalk

They have a point

On 2017-07-30 at 8:15 AM, Letemtalk said:

I don't think they need to get rid of song streams altogether, but there needs to be some changes to prevent albums with one or two popular singles from dominating the album charts, even though almost no-one listens to the other songs on the album. The UK Official charts method seems much better than the method used in the Billboard 200.

https://www.bpi.co.uk/home/uks-official-albums-chart-to-include-streaming-for-the-first-time.aspx

I just don't think that having two popular songs means you have a popular album.

They are different things and say different implications. To combine the two to say something about one seems wrong.

If streams are to count for an album, then it had better be when someone consumes more than half the amount of songs on the album within a tracking period, not just one song counting.

On 2017-07-29 at 2:10 AM, Mr Boots said:

then what streams will they count?

Streams of the album.

On 7/29/2017 at 3:54 AM, anklebiterrs said:

Not really. You can't count radio streams, songs that are being paid to be put on there, and say it's based on consumption. If a consumer has no choice but to listen to it, it shouldn't count towards a consumption chart. But at the same time, if they're just talking about biggest songs in America atm, there shouldn't be a price floor. All of ANTI's free copies should be counted, for example.

It's a chart that's quickly losing relevance. A #1 single now isn't as big a deal as it was 10, or even 5 years ago.

a #1 is actually much harder to get now than ever before

as evident by the low turn-around rate

heck...even a top 10 is becoming harder for some

5 hours ago, swissman said:

Streams of the album.

but there are no album streams. it's each track stream that's added together to make album streams. you can't tell the amount of people that listened to the record in whole

On 7/28/2017 at 11:53 AM, swissman said:

For sure!
And they need to get song streams out of counting for the Billboard 200.

This is my main issue with BB200. People streaming one song accounts on both BB200 AND the Hot100 which is so stupid. People streaming one hit song shouldn't make an ALBUM rise on BB200. DJ Khaled did not deserve his #1s. It's so annoying to see the album chart so easily manipulated by streaming hit songs

Edited by Kkamjong

1 hour ago, Mr Boots said:

but there are no album streams. it's each track stream that's added together to make album streams. you can't tell the amount of people that listened to the record in whole

I'm fairly certain that if they wanted they could have the technology to detect when a user listens to a significant part of an album. If Netflix can remember how far you are in a film, if YouTube can tell you when you've watched something, I have no doubt that Spotify (etc) can figure it out.

It would be as simple as sending Billboard the stream counts and separating them based on albums as well as songs.

If you listen to Track #1 nine times, but also tracks 3-10 once, it would make sense the you have basically the consumption of the full album.

Even if this is a bit hard for them to do, listening to Track #1 a hundred times doesn't really equate to an album stream in my opinion. It is, quite literally, a song being streamed 100 times.

Edited by swissman

:clap3: No lies. 

21 minutes ago, Kkamjong said:

This is my main issue with BB200. People streaming one song accounts on both BB200 AND the Hot100 which is so stupid. People streaming one hit song should make an ALBUM rise on BB200. DJ Khaled did not deserve his #1s. It's so annoying to see the album chart so easily manipulated by streaming hit songs

!!!

This double dipping is absurd (and unfair to acts with loyal fan bases that buy/stream their albums, but don't have hit singles). 

One could say that listening to even just one song on an album equates to an album's overall popularity, but how do we then measure a song's popularity amongst people who bought an album? I could buy an album and then never buy any of the subsequent singles, yet play them thousands of times without it ever being tracked by Billboard. I think if one or the other is invisible and inaccurate, they shouldn'tt do just one.

Edited by swissman

1 hour ago, swissman said:

One could say that listening to even just one song on an album equates to an album's overall popularity, but how do we then measure a song's popularity amongst people who bought an album? I could buy an album and then never buy any of the subsequent singles, yet play them thousands of times without it ever being tracked by Billboard. I think if one or the other is invisible and inaccurate, they shouldn'tt do just one.

This is so true. The album is another way to listen to the song, but those album units don't get factored in the Hot 100.  

Billboard is too singles-based now.

HDD is preaching the good word. It's not like they're lying.

I hate the way of the music industry nowadays.

I buy the album to support the artists and then stream the hell out of them to help keep them relevant. It's so dumb.

Edited by NEUTRON

What are "revenue-less" streams? i missed the mess....

The BB200 should be compiled with 90% sales and 10% streams (weighted)

The Hot 100 should be compiled with 75% sales, 20% airplay, 5% streams (weighted). 

Why do I keep seeing the "HDD is seething because Billboard is more popular" nonsense here? Save these moronic drags for petty popgirls stan fights. HDD 100% has a point here.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.