• WillieMonroe

• #FreeBritney Activist
WillieMonroe
1 hour ago, Xalric said:

I should stop downloading all these cc packs. :deadbanana4:

:jonny5:

gloamingtheplain
53 minutes ago, Iyanla, Fix Me said:

As someone who worked at EA during 2011 to before COVID, I can confirm that like 80% of this is false. LOL. 

(if you don't believe me, I confirmed many details of the Sims 4 content before it was announced/came out in this thread). 

Firstly, the very first image was not actually for The Sims 4, it was for a cancelled Wii U game: 

Spoiler

16243316010_7be1f73f58_b.jpg

Long story very short; In 2006 (I think it was) EA made a deal with Nintendo to bring an exclusive Sims IP (My Sims), SimCity & a brand new Sims game specially made for the DS and Wii (which ended up being the Wii U). My Sims went off without a hitch, so did SimCity. Part of the deal was handheld exclusivity which is why The Sims 3 was skipped for PSP entirely despite being still massive in 2010. Anyway, they released Apartment Pets to tick off the DS side of things, and all that was left was The Sims game for Wii. This was moved to the Wii U when The Sims 3 struggled on the Wii. 

Anyways, EA and Nintendo had disagreements when it came to the Wii U as it didn't fit EA's eco system, and long story short the deal was shelved alongside the game. Now in that article it says the developer was working on The Sims 4, which was true, as EA were prototyping, but the "Sims 4" was just a general term thrown around in 2010, there was no specific game in mind. 

Next up, The Sims 4 was *not* Olympus. They developed two games using the same engine. Olympus was a MMO like The Sims Online. Icarus is literally The Sims 4 but with local multiplayer. And if you don't believe me on this, Chi Chan confirmed this on his website (you can google it, i cbf finding it). But SimGuruMeatball also confirmed ChiChan's comments were true. 

Olympus was scrapped after SimCity, and The Sims 4 had its multiplayer (and Story Mode) removed. However, the issue with The Sims 4 wasn't that it had multiplayer at all. The issue was they needed more time, because they only really started development in 2011/2012, which only gave them 2 years instead of 4. In short, it just wasn't finished and was still in the middle of development when it had gone "gold". They wanted a 12 month - 18 month extension and EA gave them 6 because of Rachel Franklin (I'll explain later). EA also then took off about half the team to start working on Outdoor Retreat, Get To Work and Luxury Party before the game was even released (around August I believe), leaving even less staff to work on the base game. 

But what we saw of Olympus was redirected into The Sims Mobile, and The Sims Mobile is literally a rebuilt version of Olympus. The Sims 4 was code named Icarus. 

Some of the ideas from the Wii U version (such as push and pull features because of the gamepad) were brought over to The Sims 4. 

But yeah, The Sims 4 never suffered from being an online game. It suffered because EA refused to extend their development, and they basically spent the last few months before going live making what was there playable. Everything that was in the works at the time (Pools, Toddlers, Ghosts, UI work, world maps) were put on pause until post release. 

Also, most of Get Together (the club system, the world (although they started Windenburg from scratch after launch as they felt the original was rushed), dance skill, cafe's etc were all supposed to base game) but they ran out of time. I'm pretty sure the only things that Get Together did that were actually new were Wardrobes, DJ booths and some of the activities. But the base game was supposed to have 3 worlds, representative of the 3 worlds that came with The Sims 2 (PleasantView = Willow Creek, Strangetown = Oasis Springs, Veronaville = Windenburg). 

Also originally, the Hospital and Police Station were originally base game, however you would only go to Hospital to give birth, or to the Police for some other reason, but they were not Active Careers originally. The Science Lab area was also base game, however it did not host a Science Lab (I for the life of me cannot remember what it was). 

Magnolia Promenade was an unfinished area of Willow Creek that didn't make it time to ship the game. 

Originally, Magnolia Promenade was supposed to be the original downtown area of Willow Creek. The area that is now Downtown Willow Creek, was originally residential and was make shifted into a downtown area last minute, you can see this from leaked footage of the game from July 2014: 

It's the opening scene: 

Overall, it was just EA being EA, but also Rachel Franklin was a HUGE reason why the game ended up the way it did, because she basically told EA "yep, all we need is 6 months" when the team wanted 12 months - 18 months. She was at risk of being replaced if the game couldn't be released in 2014.

She was also the reason why Get Together was delayed as Redwood Shores couldn't handle the 2 EPs, 4SPs and 2 GPs that she'd worked out (they have never put out that many packs since 2015). And 2016 was so dry because the team literally didn't have the resources in 2015 to start content for 2016. 

After she left, they restructured and caught themselves back up and agreed not to have a schedule outside 2 EPs a year. So SP's and GPs could come out "whenever they were ready" as long as they got 2 EPs out a year. 

But yeah, long story short, Olympus and Icarus were two different games. And being Online had no effect on the game other than they needed more than two years to work on it (which makes sense because 2 and 3 both got 4 years each). Also having to make 4's engine from scratch took a large portion of the development time. 

gloamingtheplain
On 1/30/2021 at 7:35 AM, Adam’s Eve said:

Even the queen of Sims agrees with me about Grant. :alexz2:

Eh, she can say what she wants but Grant literally joined The Sims 4 once it was pretty much being wrapped up. He originally was working on the cancelled Wii U game which was an open world Sims game, that had everything from public transport and more. The game was cancelled when EA and Nintendo disagreed over the Wii U (EA basically told them it would refuse to develop for their platform if they didn't support it's online vision or whatever). 

If you wanna see some concepts of the original Wii U game, you can check them out here: 

They were not for The Sims 4 as SimsCommunity thought they were: 

https://simscommunity.info/2015/12/25/the-sims-4-concept-art-by-david-le-merrer/

Iyanla, Fix Me
7 hours ago, gloamingtheplain said:

As someone who worked at EA during 2011 to before COVID, I can confirm that like 80% of this is false. LOL. 

(if you don't believe me, I confirmed many details of the Sims 4 content before it was announced/came out in this thread). 

Firstly, the very first image was not actually for The Sims 4, it was for a cancelled Wii U game: 

Hide contents

16243316010_7be1f73f58_b.jpg

Long story very short; In 2006 (I think it was) EA made a deal with Nintendo to bring an exclusive Sims IP (My Sims), SimCity & a brand new Sims game specially made for the DS and Wii (which ended up being the Wii U). My Sims went off without a hitch, so did SimCity. Part of the deal was handheld exclusivity which is why The Sims 3 was skipped for PSP entirely despite being still massive in 2010. Anyway, they released Apartment Pets to tick off the DS side of things, and all that was left was The Sims game for Wii. This was moved to the Wii U when The Sims 3 struggled on the Wii. 

Anyways, EA and Nintendo had disagreements when it came to the Wii U as it didn't fit EA's eco system, and long story short the deal was shelved alongside the game. Now in that article it says the developer was working on The Sims 4, which was true, as EA were prototyping, but the "Sims 4" was just a general term thrown around in 2010, there was no specific game in mind. 

Next up, The Sims 4 was *not* Olympus. They developed two games using the same engine. Olympus was a MMO like The Sims Online. Icarus is literally The Sims 4 but with local multiplayer. And if you don't believe me on this, Chi Chan confirmed this on his website (you can google it, i cbf finding it). But SimGuruMeatball also confirmed ChiChan's comments were true. 

Olympus was scrapped after SimCity, and The Sims 4 had its multiplayer (and Story Mode) removed. However, the issue with The Sims 4 wasn't that it had multiplayer at all. The issue was they needed more time, because they only really started development in 2011/2012, which only gave them 2 years instead of 4. In short, it just wasn't finished and was still in the middle of development when it had gone "gold". They wanted a 12 month - 18 month extension and EA gave them 6 because of Rachel Franklin (I'll explain later). EA also then took off about half the team to start working on Outdoor Retreat, Get To Work and Luxury Party before the game was even released (around August I believe), leaving even less staff to work on the base game. 

But what we saw of Olympus was redirected into The Sims Mobile, and The Sims Mobile is literally a rebuilt version of Olympus. The Sims 4 was code named Icarus. 

Some of the ideas from the Wii U version (such as push and pull features because of the gamepad) were brought over to The Sims 4. 

But yeah, The Sims 4 never suffered from being an online game. It suffered because EA refused to extend their development, and they basically spent the last few months before going live making what was there playable. Everything that was in the works at the time (Pools, Toddlers, Ghosts, UI work, world maps) were put on pause until post release. 

Also, most of Get Together (the club system, the world (although they started Windenburg from scratch after launch as they felt the original was rushed), dance skill, cafe's etc were all supposed to base game) but they ran out of time. I'm pretty sure the only things that Get Together did that were actually new were Wardrobes, DJ booths and some of the activities. But the base game was supposed to have 3 worlds, representative of the 3 worlds that came with The Sims 2 (PleasantView = Willow Creek, Strangetown = Oasis Springs, Veronaville = Windenburg). 

Also originally, the Hospital and Police Station were originally base game, however you would only go to Hospital to give birth, or to the Police for some other reason, but they were not Active Careers originally. The Science Lab area was also base game, however it did not host a Science Lab (I for the life of me cannot remember what it was). 

Magnolia Promenade was an unfinished area of Willow Creek that didn't make it time to ship the game. 

Originally, Magnolia Promenade was supposed to be the original downtown area of Willow Creek. The area that is now Downtown Willow Creek, was originally residential and was make shifted into a downtown area last minute, you can see this from leaked footage of the game from July 2014: 

It's the opening scene: 

Overall, it was just EA being EA, but also Rachel Franklin was a HUGE reason why the game ended up the way it did, because she basically told EA "yep, all we need is 6 months" when the team wanted 12 months - 18 months. She was at risk of being replaced if the game couldn't be released in 2014.

She was also the reason why Get Together was delayed as Redwood Shores couldn't handle the 2 EPs, 4SPs and 2 GPs that she'd worked out (they have never put out that many packs since 2015). And 2016 was so dry because the team literally didn't have the resources in 2015 to start content for 2016. 

After she left, they restructured and caught themselves back up and agreed not to have a schedule outside 2 EPs a year. So SP's and GPs could come out "whenever they were ready" as long as they got 2 EPs out a year. 

But yeah, long story short, Olympus and Icarus were two different games. And being Online had no effect on the game other than they needed more than two years to work on it (which makes sense because 2 and 3 both got 4 years each). Also having to make 4's engine from scratch took a large portion of the development time. 

This is all fair! But isn't it fair to assume that the online game would have required a different type of gameplay? Based on the version that shipped in 2014, I totally believe other life stages were not meant to be in the Sims 4 Online at first. All the ages looked the same except for children. So yes they needed more time but you have to admit they had to pivot greatly when it was decided there would be no major multiplayer element to TS4. 

gloamingtheplain
On 2/4/2021 at 12:31 AM, Iyanla, Fix Me said:

This is all fair! But isn't it fair to assume that the online game would have required a different type of gameplay? Based on the version that shipped in 2014, I totally believe other life stages were not meant to be in the Sims 4 Online at first. All the ages looked the same except for children. So yes they needed more time but you have to admit they had to pivot greatly when it was decided there would be no major multiplayer element to TS4. 

Nah, so for the Sims 4, it was supposed to be a full on proper Sims game with all life stages etc. A proper single player game. 

The online aspect for 4 (not Olympus) was that you could have multiple people controlling a single household for more co-op gameplay (think Bustin Out online weekend) or your friends could live in houses outside of that. 

The reason why Teens and Elders are the same as Adults, is for the simple fact in general the game wasn’t finished. Online wasn’t even projected to be finished which was the second reason why they decided to ditch it. 

Babies were actually a last second addition and they were originally going to ship the game where you came back with a child :deadbanana: One of the Guru’s put their foot down and point blank said Babies are being done. They were arguing because they wanted anything that wasn’t done, to be put on hold, and just ship the game as playable. 

Rachel Franklin believed that she could ship an unfinished game and save it by pushing the “Live Service” model that “new content will come every month” sort of deal but I think the Guru’s knew that they were never going to get the budget to do most of what they wanted for the game. 

One of the reason why Demon babies existed on Day 1 was for the literal reason they only started on them like 2 weeks before shipping them out. 

One of the more polished areas of the game ironically was the Story Mode, that if you see the secret areas we have in the base game that aren’t used for anything. Originally they were used for something but I wasn’t able to find out what. But it was part of the story. 
But Aspirations are the way they are in The Sims 4 with multiple goals as that was how Story Mode worked. 

Story Mode was single Sim but you could eventually have kids. I think it was similarish to Bustin Out. 

Here is a photo of how the UI looked before Story Mode was cut: 

ui7.png

You can see that a single Sim loaded on the front page on the main menu (behind the payment UI). 

So Story Mode was there until the very last moment as this was the final UI design (they changed it from Blue in early 2014) but I do not know much about it. 

All I know is that every EP was supposed to have an extension to the Story. I’m not sure why Story Mode was cut but from what I heard it was pretty much done. 

So two years of working on that just for it to be cut anyway :rip: Rachel Franklin was the worst thing to happen to The Sims because she assumed it would work like a Mobile game where it’s normal for them to start bare bones.

Shes obviously classless about how a $60 game is supposed to look. 

gloamingtheplain
On 2/4/2021 at 12:31 AM, Iyanla, Fix Me said:

Oh btw to make it make more sense, Olympus (the MMO) and the Wii U game were going to fill the gap between The Sims 3 and The Sims 4. 

When both were cancelled that’s why the Sims 4 was brought forward and why they had only started working on it in 2012 instead of 2010. Originally the developers had more time. 

Just in case you were wondering why on Earth they only started on The Sims 4 in 2012 if the projected date was 2014. It was originally later. How much by I have no idea. 

All I know is they wanted to maximse profit from the Wii U game before moving onto 4. 

Honestly I have no idea why they didn’t just use the Wii U game as a starting point for The Sims 4, instead of starting from scratch. The ideas they had for the Wii U game were great from what I heard. Kinda like The Sims 3, but you control your Sims directly (like My Sims but with actual Sims) and you navigate around like that. You caught the bus to work etc. There were mini games but they could cut those and just simulate. 

It’s just a shame because clearly they could have started straight away on development since all the predevolopment was done. instead they spent another 6 months drawing up the game again. A waste. 

Iyanla, Fix Me
10 hours ago, gloamingtheplain said:

Oh btw to make it make more sense, Olympus (the MMO) and the Wii U game were going to fill the gap between The Sims 3 and The Sims 4. 

When both were cancelled that’s why the Sims 4 was brought forward and why they had only started working on it in 2012 instead of 2010. Originally the developers had more time. 

Just in case you were wondering why on Earth they only started on The Sims 4 in 2012 if the projected date was 2014. It was originally later. How much by I have no idea. 

All I know is they wanted to maximse profit from the Wii U game before moving onto 4. 

Honestly I have no idea why they didn’t just use the Wii U game as a starting point for The Sims 4, instead of starting from scratch. The ideas they had for the Wii U game were great from what I heard. Kinda like The Sims 3, but you control your Sims directly (like My Sims but with actual Sims) and you navigate around like that. You caught the bus to work etc. There were mini games but they could cut those and just simulate. 

It’s just a shame because clearly they could have started straight away on development since all the predevolopment was done. instead they spent another 6 months drawing up the game again. A waste. 

Fair enough this makes sense. I'm just hoping they saw how the Sims community rejected the online concept and will make sure it is a very very optional and well run part of TS5 a la GTA V. 

Luckily there have been developments for TS5 since 2018. Meaning we're already 3 years into dev and I don't see them announcing it until the end of this year at the very earliest. So earliest release is 2022/23 which hopefully gives them the 5+ years truly needed to craft a wonderful TS5.

samuel656

My huge TS2 Uber hood is becoming so corrupted.  I’ve recently gonna back to TS4 but my sim had triplets and now there’s 5 kids in the house and it’s making my game start to lag.  :chick3:

Adam’s Eve

I would welcome another story mode game like Bustin Out or Life Stories actually as I really enjoyed those. Even The Sims on ps2 story mode was pretty good although extremely difficult lol. If they were to do it though I would prefer it a separate game to the main series.

GuyNextDoor

All the tea on this page :jonny5:

Thanks for the info @gloamingtheplain

That Wii U game with public transportation sounds amazing. Sad it was scrapped. 

And yikes at what Rachael Franklin did :mazen: . I am glad she's gone. I will never forget the second hand embarrassment I had when she was presenting Get Together at the Gamescom.

RihannaLoverrr

I would love some of these to be implemented into TS5, specifically that memory system

:jonny6:

15 hours ago, Adam’s Eve said:

I would welcome another story mode game like Bustin Out or Life Stories actually as I really enjoyed those. Even The Sims on ps2 story mode was pretty good although extremely difficult lol. If they were to do it though I would prefer it a separate game to the main series.

I literally just reinstalled life stories the other day and have been playing with the hoods after completing the game! No mods or CC and still so fun, TS2 era is so unmatched. I’d love another story series. 

gloamingtheplain
16 hours ago, samuel656 said:

My huge TS2 Uber hood is becoming so corrupted.  I’ve recently gonna back to TS4 but my sim had triplets and now there’s 5 kids in the house and it’s making my game start to lag.  :chick3:

If you want to play The Sims 2 but avoid corruption, play Freeplay in Life Stories or Pet Stories. Aspyr fixed most of the corruption issues. 

And what are your specs that you're getting lag with 5 kids? Maybe try moving to a smaller neighbourhood maybe? 

16 hours ago, Adam’s Eve said:

Yeah same. The closest we got was Strangerville and Star Wars. Would love just a normal Story Mode. 

Have you played The Sims 2 on PS2? It has a Story Mode too and I think it's arguable better than The Sims and Life Stories. About on par with Bustin Out. It's so easy to emulate nowadays. 

15 hours ago, GuyNextDoor said:

All the tea on this page :jonny5:

Thanks for the info @gloamingtheplain

That Wii U game with public transportation sounds amazing. Sad it was scrapped. 

And yikes at what Rachael Franklin did :mazen: . I am glad she's gone. I will never forget the second hand embarrassment I had when she was presenting Get Together at the Gamescom.

The Wii U game was incredible from what I saw of it. EA even went as far as sending the info to retailers that it was coming, and some put it up for pre-order. It was crazy how EA turned around and was like "Nope, cancelled". 

If you ever played The Sims 3 on Nintendo Wii, it was kind of like that, except much more polished, and way more "involved". There were mini-games while you did your job (kinda like The Urbz but it varies more than button mashing), if you missed the bus home for example, you had to walk or pay for a Taxi. It sort of felt like it was more based on feeling like how you would approach your day to day life. Rather than clicking "Go here, do this" it was like "I need to be here, I need to do this" sort of thing. 

I never saw a finished product but I did see lots untextured examples, all of them were grey. Not exactly like this, but just as an example: 

ab7cb80c0ab5b6d2e112881d9757c58a1e218403

But I think it would have been amazing. It was somewhat different to The Sims formula (you could only create one household, everything outside of your lot was pre-created and non editable and it was all about the experience, kinda like The Urbz sort of deal except you could have a family and what not). 

I think what they were going for is you kinda play as your household, and the rest of the world goes on around you. Rather than playing God and being able to build every house, play every family etc. It was sort of a case of they chuck you in, and you see how it unfolds every time. 

Adam’s Eve
4 hours ago, gloamingtheplain said:

Have you played The Sims 2 on PS2? It has a Story Mode too and I think it's arguable better than The Sims and Life Stories. About on par with Bustin Out. It's so easy to emulate nowadays.

Yes I completely forgot about this! The only thing I didn’t like about it is being able to control the movement of your sim, if felt weird and clunky to me. Other than that, another great example of the sims story mode.

I also played TS2 PSP which was great too! Urbz was insanely good!

gloamingtheplain
1 hour ago, Adam’s Eve said:

Yes I completely forgot about this! The only thing I didn’t like about it is being able to control the movement of your sim, if felt weird and clunky to me. Other than that, another great example of the sims story mode.

Were you aware that if you pressed Select it had Classic Mode where you could control like the other games? aha not many people do but this is a video that shows it: 

Adam’s Eve
1 hour ago, gloamingtheplain said:

Were you aware that if you pressed Select it had Classic Mode where you could control like the other games? aha not many people do but this is a video that shows it: 

Wtf I didn’t know this! :deadbanana4:

samuel656
13 hours ago, gloamingtheplain said:

If you want to play The Sims 2 but avoid corruption, play Freeplay in Life Stories or Pet Stories. Aspyr fixed most of the corruption issues. 

And what are your specs that you're getting lag with 5 kids? Maybe try moving to a smaller neighbourhood maybe? 

I have a MacBook Pro 2017 15inch.  It runs TS4 fine on High as long as I keep the computer cool, but my sim moved to Starlight Shores and has 3 toddlers, a child, a step kid, cat, servo, and a hubby, also a butler, I think it’s just to much.  

with TS2 I play the ultimate collection on Bootcamp, because I missed apartment life.

TS2 super collection runs good on Mac OS, but I miss the lack of expansion packs especially mods that require them.

I wished Aspyr made their life story games compatible with 64bit on Mac OS, but they only did Super Collection

Edited by samuel656
gloamingtheplain
8 hours ago, Adam’s Eve said:

Wtf I didn’t know this! :deadbanana4:

Time to revisit! Best part of the game is switching in between. If you’re running late to work or running after someone, direct mode is great. Classic mode is great for micro managing between Sims. 

So good. The PSP and DS games are direct control only. 

Walk_Away21
14 hours ago, Adam’s Eve said:

The URBZ on GBA / DS is top tier. A classic!

g0zpX9s.gif

Edited by Walk_Away21
The Countess

What is up with my game randomly dropping from constant 75 FPS to 10-15 randomly? Like, especially when entering or exiting build mode. I noticed saving or entering the options menu helps it bounce back but sometimes that doesn't work. What's happening, I own like a supercomputer :rip:

teenagechrist
On 2/9/2021 at 9:37 PM, The Countess said:

What is up with my game randomly dropping from constant 75 FPS to 10-15 randomly? Like, especially when entering or exiting build mode. I noticed saving or entering the options menu helps it bounce back but sometimes that doesn't work. What's happening, I own like a supercomputer :rip:

This has been happening to me since Eco Lifestyle, it's super annoying. 

:jonny4:

The way I remember some of these sites :skull:

I used to download so much **** but never got them in game because I never knew anything.

I feel like I put the cc in my documents folder and just expected them to appear in game :skull: