Top Posters In This Topic

• alexanderao

• iHype.

• Blue Rose

• DELE2125

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, One Nation said:

Where is TLC projected to land?

These are predictions for this week's chart. TLC comes out next week so that's when we'll get predictions :flower:

Just now, Unoriginal said:

These are predictions for this week's chart. TLC comes out next week so that's when we'll get predictions :flower:

oh ok

3 minutes ago, Kkamjong said:

... are you comparing a single causing to BUY an album to streaming a single counting as an album sale? Those are no where near the same scenario :deadbanana3: 

A person should be required to stream at least 50% of an album in one tracking week for any of those streams to count towards BB200. It literally makes no sense that streaming a single contributes to someone's album sales even if the person streaming the single didn't listen to anymore than that one track. It's an extremely flawed system. 

If someone simply streams one song is should only contribute to the Hot 100. Why have two charts based on the same criteria? It makes no sense. That's like adding airplay to billboard 200. 

I am not— I was just pointing out that a hit single helping an album on the charts is not a new concept and something that should be expected (by the way, a stream of a song is worth 0.000667 units, not one). 

When a song is part of an album, its success should be able to contribute to the album's success— whether it's a single or not. Albums like Blurryface have been bolstered by strong streaming of album tracks like Tear In My HeartLane Boy, and The Judge. Under your policy, if I really like just those three tracks and play them each 50 times in a given week, none of those streams count towards the Billboard 200. That doesn't seem very fair to me. Even if I don't like the rest of the album, I'm still heavily consuming those three songs— which are all as much a part of the album as the songs I don't like. And people could circumvent your policy quite easily. Someone could take a 15-track album and only play a hit single 50 times and then give 7 others songs a token stream, and their streams would count, but someone streaming 6 album tracks 20-30 times wouldn't have any of their streams count. Again, your policies seem like they would introduce unnecessary unfairness to the chart.

40 minutes ago, Kkamjong said:

... are you comparing a single causing to BUY an album to streaming a single counting as an album sale? Those are no where near the same scenario :deadbanana3: 

A person should be required to stream at least 50% of an album in one tracking week for any of those streams to count towards BB200.

i'm pretty sure it's not even possible to count that (or at least not easy enough to do for every single album out every week)

Hopefully ID comes through + Lorde overperforms again.

:clap3: ID better outstream that damn soundtrack. :duca: Stream it atrlers. 

I hope ID wins, because they sold more.

I'll pull for ID. They have a respectable amount of SEA & TEA that doesn't account for 2/3 of their consumption totals. Also, ID is the closest band to Rock T 40 shows a willingness to play.

21 hours ago, Kkamjong said:

A person should be required to stream at least 50% of an album in one tracking week for any of those streams to count towards BB200. It literally makes no sense that streaming a single contributes to someone's album sales even if the person streaming the single didn't listen to anymore than that one track. It's an extremely flawed system. 

If someone simply streams one song is should only contribute to the Hot 100. Why have two charts based on the same criteria? It makes no sense. That's like adding airplay to billboard 200. 

BB says that they can't tell whether it's just one song or the full album. I assume for MB it's the same way.

I strongly agree with your point though. So hopefully soon they'll have the technology to tell the difference between streaming one song and the entire (or at least half of the) album.

I've never listened to any ID song, other than the singles that were force fed to my ears, but I'm streaming their album to support.

It's.....not too bad, I guess. His voice is a little too much sometimes.

23 hours ago, Kkamjong said:

How does it make the chart inaccurate? At the moment, having one huge streaming hit can get you thousands of extra "albums" to your SPS total which is completely bogus. Streaming one song does not mean people listened to the album or should be counted as such. 

Recurrent streams should ONLY be counted for Hot 100 because it uses multiple criteria to measure most popular songs of the week. BB200 was based on sales and sales only. 

Can I ask how old you are? Because you clearly weren't alive in the 90s to see one song like My Heart Will Go On sell almost 30M copies of an instrumental album like The Titanic Soundtrack. Vanilla Ice has a 7x Platinum album with one hit. The Baha Men have a 3x Platinum album with one hit. Singles always drive album sales - that's why they bother to release them. It would destroy the integrity of the charts if Billboard were to exclude certain stats just to pick whom they want to chart high. Look at how ****ty the U.K.'s charts are handled, for example.

OT: Streaming ID right now. Pull through, talent!

Let me purchase Asahd Khaled exec album  to give him some coins 

23 minutes ago, Eternium said:

Can I ask how old you are? Because you clearly weren't alive in the 90s to see one song like My Heart Will Go On sell almost 30M copies of an instrumental album like The Titanic Soundtrack. Vanilla Ice has a 7x Platinum album with one hit. The Baha Men have a 3x Platinum album with one hit. Singles always drive album sales - that's why they bother to release them. It would destroy the integrity of the charts if Billboard were to exclude certain stats just to pick whom they want to chart high. Look at how ****ty the U.K.'s charts are handled, for example.

OT: Streaming ID right now. Pull through, talent!

The people still BOUGHT THE ALBUM. There is HUGE difference in one hit driving album sales and one hit being streamed and misrepresented as album sales. 

Singles promote albums yes, but streaming a single should not contribute t album sales. It makes 0 sense. That's what the Hot 100 is for. There should be a minimum percentage of album tracks streamed for it to contribute to BB200. 

Someone listening to one hit song from an album (and ignoring the rest of the tracks) should not contribute to BB200 because they clearly did not give 2 ***** about the actual album but just the single. Which as said, is what the Hot 100 is for.

Edited by Kkamjong

Imagine Dragons better get the #1, the other is trash 

2 hours ago, Kkamjong said:

The people still BOUGHT THE ALBUM. There is HUGE difference in one hit driving album sales and one hit being streamed and misrepresented as album sales. 

Singles promote albums yes, but streaming a single should not contribute t album sales. It makes 0 sense. That's what the Hot 100 is for. There should be a minimum percentage of album tracks streamed for it to contribute to BB200. 

Someone listening to one hit song from an album (and ignoring the rest of the tracks) should not contribute to BB200 because they clearly did not give 2 ***** about the actual album but just the single. Which as said, is what the Hot 100 is for.

All of this. 

I agree with @Kkamjong. If you need to stream a significant portion of a song for it to count as a song stream, you should have to stream a significant amount of an album for it to count as an album stream. At least 1/3 of the album. I know there's no way in place to measure this right now, but it can't be difficult to implement 

1 minute ago, Jackson said:

I agree with @Kkamjong. If you need to stream a significant portion of a song for it to count as a song stream, you should have to stream a significant amount of an album for it to count as an album stream. At least 1/3 of the album. I know there's no way in place to measure this right now, but it can't be difficult to implement 

There's no such thing as an "album stream." Billboard & Nielsen have made it clear that SEA units are derived from streams of individual songs from an album. And that's OK (see my posts last page for why I think the current system is the best we can do atm).

7 minutes ago, alexanderao said:

There's no such thing as an "album stream." Billboard & Nielsen have made it clear that SEA units are derived from streams of individual songs from an album. And that's OK (see my posts last page for why I think the current system is the best we can do atm).

But there can be. There's no barrier in today's technological capacity that would prevent us from measuring album streams. There's obviously arguments for both sides. Another great reason single streams/sales shouldn't count for album sales is that artists can "cheat" album sales by tacking on random non-album tracks, or create singles collections for the sole purpose of getting a certified album (Collage EP, LMLYD on Delirium, etc). Not wanting the billboard 200 to turn into a hybrid album/single success chart, while it's been an album chart since its inception, is a valid concern. While someone streaming Shape of You could show genuine interest in Ed as an artist or Divide as an album, I can pretty confidently say that almost no one streamed Closer with interest in Collage as an album, or Love Me Like You Do with interest in Delirium, a song that wasn't even written for the album it eventually ended up on. 

Just now, Jackson said:

But there can be. There's no barrier in today's technological capacity that would prevent us from measuring album streams. There's obviously arguments for both sides. Another great reason single streams/sales shouldn't count for album sales is that artists can "cheat" album sales by tacking on random non-album tracks, or create singles collections for the sole purpose of getting a certified album (Collage EP, LMLYD on Delirium, etc). Not wanting the billboard 200 to turn into a hybrid album/single success chart, while it's been an album chart since its inception, is a valid concern. While someone streaming Shape of You could show genuine interest in Ed as an artist or Divide as an album, I can pretty confidently say that almost no one streamed Closer with interest in Collage as an album, or Love Me Like You Do with interest in Delirium, a song that wasn't even written for the album it eventually ended up on. 

Yes. I would actually support a rule establishing a limit on the amount of time that can pass between the release of a single and its inclusion on an EP or album for chart purposes. If that limit is four months, then an artist couldn't include a single released in January on an album released in June (well, they could, but the pre-album release streams of that single would not count). I think that is a valid way to address the valid concerns regarding Closer/LMLYD type scenarios. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.