21,000 scientists now sign article urging humanity to ditch meat

GraceRandolph

More than 21,000 scientists from around the world believe that humans need to seriously change their behavior — including reducing the amount of meat they eat and consuming more plant-based foods — in order to prevent dangerous levels of climate change.

The scientists signed an article in the Journal of Bioscience entitled "World Scientists' Warning to Humanity: A Second Notice." Initially published in 2017, the number of scientists offering support for the article and its message has risen from 15,000 to more than 21,000 in the last two years.

The report evaluates the state of the planet in comparison with 1992, when the Union of Concerned Scientists — along with 1700 independent scientists –published an article entitled "World Scientists' Warning to Humanity."

The 1992 report stated that "humans were on a collision course with the natural world," urging the human race to consider the detrimental effects of a number of environmental issues, including ozone depletion, marine life depletion, ocean dead zones, forest loss, and climate change.

Full article: https://www.livekindly.com/scientists-say-going-vegan-help-save-planet/

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uncatena

• Joey307

• Sazare

• Sombre

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

the way i knew who made this thread before opening it

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I was wondering what happened to the Veganism ATRL agenda coalition 

• Haha 5

I've already done it and I don't miss it one bit. I'm a vegan. I understand that it's difficult for many people for various reasons, but you don't have to do a 180 degree turnaround straight away. You can start by slowly reducing and adjusting.

• Thanks 6

Well, they're not wrong. Eating too much meat is bad for your health. I eat it twice a week and with salad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I can go vegetarian, but vegan would be harder. I need my milk, yogurt, eggs and honey.

• Like 6

Good luck with that. 

• Haha 2

we should compromise because i can live without beef and the industry is the worst amongst the meats if i'm correct? chicken however is too beloved i fear we need to keep her to satisfy the masses.

:clack:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

yeah yeah, that's great BUT

1. vegan or plant "milks", "meats" are way too high priced in my country

2. only big supermarkets have wider vegan options

3. the "wider" vegan options aren't actually wide but they have some

4. my country has the highest VAT in the world

5. 27% VAT on fruits and vegetables

6. Bio options are limited

7. Bio options are higly overpriced in my country

8. other expenses like rent, food in average are crazy high priced

9. our wages are one of the lowest in the EU

10. has a megalomaniac prime minister since 2010 who thinks climate change is a liberal-woke-left tale so it won't be a main subject here

solve this mr. 20k scientists and i'll be able to buy it

Edited by kellebrity98
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Suddenly i feel like eating some chicken wings 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Ive cut down a bit here and there on eating meat. The problem is that the substitutes are either a) exponentially more expensive or b) just don't taste as good to me. I'd do more if it were more affordable. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Breathe On Moi said:

I was wondering what happened to the Veganism ATRL agenda coalition 

the "veganism agenda" in question being the scientific consensus that eating less meat could save the planet lmfao, y'all are so cooked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 minutes ago, Burn said:

eating meat is one of the most natural things in the world.

Not on a level where animals are bred, factory farmed and transported cross countries and oceans to feed the masses. The meat you buy in a grocery store is not some animal you hunted on an individual level.

its actually extremely harmful to the exosystem and wild considering how much space it takes and resources it burns.

I've stopped eating red meat and hope to stop eating all meat soon. Sometimes I get depressed tho and say **** it it's too late might as well throw fuel on the fire and eat animal products 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Space Cowboy said:

Suddenly i feel like eating some chicken wings 

this being the vegan discourse equivalent of "okay, I identify as a helicopter" I'd be SO embarrassed omfg

• Thanks 9
  • Thumbs Down 1

7 minutes ago, Burn said:

natural ≠ safe/better/healthy

I wouldn't miss meat, eggs/milk will need to stay tho :thing:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burn said:

ah yes, the natural factory farms an animals pumped up with antibiotics... just nature doing its thing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Uncatena said:

this being the vegan discourse equivalent of "okay, I identify as a helicopter" I'd be SO embarrassed omfg

Too bad i DON'T :foxaylove2:

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

I will never be convinced that an exclusively plant based diet is healthy. I have no problem with reducing the amount of meat I eat or even using plant based milk alternatives, but I'm never giving up eggs or meat completely.

• Like 7

Veganism has become so whitewashed and myopic and I say this as someone that cannot stomach beef or pork.

i gave up muffins and not really into clams but i do eat eggs and regularly flog a sausage for breakfast though lately i've been liking to those without a bun

• Haha 1

the way omnivores get so pressed and defensive over things like this that they end up doubling down on their meat eating :rip: Making their cognitive dissonance everyone else's problem :rip:

• Like 6

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.