Is France worth visiting?

Happylittlepunk

Hello atrl, 

im currently planning the next family vacation. Some family members are really want to visit France, including paris, the country side etc. but I just want to know if it's worth visiting. I herd a lot things lately. I just want to know from,  guys experience if it's worth visiting and if there anything I need watch out for? 

I'm curious too because I heard it's actually quite ghetto and the people stink:suburban:

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

I think most countries are worth visiting if you've never been before tbh. If you like history there's plenty to see and the countryside can be very picturesque if you go when the weather is good.

People complain about Paris being dirty but I don't remember it being particularly worse than any other major city I've been to. Obviously you need to watch out for pickpockets and people trying to sell you random **** on the street, but that's hardly exclusive to France. As long as you're sensible you should be ok.

• Like 1

Yes. I'd visit all those gorgeous museums in Paris tbh 

• Like 1

Well apart from the history ( 17000 year old cave paintings to the DDay beaches), the architecture, the food, the wine, the Mediterranean south, the chateaux, the glaciers and skiing in the mountains, the gentle climate, the rocky coves of Breton peninsula, the Germanic  timber frames of the Alsace, the museums, the beer of Flanders, and the hundreds of cheeses,….

what has France ever done for us?

Go. It's fabulous.

( and I'm a Brit)

Edited by Vermouth

I only visited Strasbourg and Colmar (so Alsace, if you go there I recommend going to Freiburg in Germany too which is a gem and only 1h by bus) and they were really nice. I think France has a lot of beautiful spots, from bigger cities like Paris, Lyon, Nantes, Toulouse, Strasbourg, to the Riviera (Nice, Marseille, Cannes - and Monaco which is right there). Plus Provence too. I'm sure you can find anything that fits your idea of trip. 

Edited by ariananext
  • Like 1

Personally France is my favorite country to visit in Europe.  So this is more a question of whether Europe is worth visiting.  To which I would say, probably. Most places are worth visiting. 

• Like 1

Just know that Paris and any other popular European city is always crowded as **** with tourists, in the popular areas/museums/attractions at least. If crowds aren't your thing, avoid and hit some lesser known areas in Provence or something

It's beautiful, but people are annoying and snobs

Edited by alexrex

Yes it's a gorgeous country, the highs are worth it. The south coast of France  is perfect for a family vacation

Absolutely! even Paris is fantastic.. just have realistic expectations. It's a real city not some Disneyland park

Duh ? :psyduck: How is that even a question ? :deadbanana4:

Of course there is Paris (and its region, with the castles of Versailles and Fontainebleau...), but all the following places are great too : Loire Valley (with all the Renaissance castles), Corsica, French Riviera, Mont Saint Michel... But there are so many things to see, I just listed popular locations. 

Also, Paris isn't particularly dirty (at least, not more so than any other European capital, imo Rome was way worse). 

Yes. Lyon, Nice, and Bordeaux are worth it!

Yes

Just learn basic french first and be ready for some bad smell

I visited the French Riviera in June and let me tell you listening to everything is romantic while taking sun in Antibes changed my life

If we go by what Emily in Paris showed then maybe not! :ryan3:

It's worth visiting as part of a wider Europe trip but if you're travelling all the way from another continent, I wouldn't just do France. Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece are the best European countries though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.