Variety's best 100 horror movies of all time

shyboi

Do you agree with these Variety picks?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with these Variety picks?

• yes
    • no

Do you agree with this list? 

What is your top 10 horror movies? 

"In compiling a list of the genre's highest achievements, we considered it all, from highbrow to lo-fi, pure schlock to Hitchcock, reaching back to the advent of cinema. [...]

The question "What is horror?" echoed at the center of every discussion, with long hours spent arguing over where the boundaries lie for a genre that has launched many a career. How often has one of these waking nightmares upset you enough to resurface in your dreams? If we've done our job, you'll want to join the debate."

Top 10 

🔟 - Carrie (1976)

9️⃣ - Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom

8️⃣ - Frankenstein (1931)

7️⃣ - Audition

6️⃣ - Night of the Living Dead (1968)

5️⃣ - Rosemary's Baby (1968)

4️⃣ - Jaws

3️⃣ - Psycho

2️⃣ - The Exorcist (1973)

1️⃣ - Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

FULL TOP 100:  :gaycat6:

https://letterboxd.com/anaekasm/list/varietys-the-100-best-horror-movies-of-all/

Edited by shyboi
  • Like 1

SAW not making into the list, we love to see it! It's time to admit that atrocity is one of the worst things to ever come out of the horror genre.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Zzz

My favourite horror movies are the silly ones from the late 90s to early 2000s that are not scary (like The Faculty) so no :foxaylove3:

2 minutes ago, sunbathinganimal said:

where's Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me :biblionana:

isn't that a series? 

Just now, shyboi said:

isn't that a series? 

film based on the series

LeAvaMaxiii_legendaDemour3uh.thumb.jpg.f

2 minutes ago, roso said:

Only 3 movies directed by women and none in the top 50 :biblio:

should they take that into consideration before making a list? 

getting a real "old movies good newer movies bad" vibe from this list aside from the easy token recent picks like Get Out and The Babadook. Which isn't too far from the truth I suppose, but horror's really gone through a sort of renaissance in the last decade that should probably be more thoroughly reflected here

Quite a few I haven't seen though.

• Like 3

Hideous shite like Terrifier not making the list, love to see it :clap3:

However, if one of the Hostel movies made the list, I'm surprised they didn't at least include one of the Saw movies between 1-3, as those were actually kind of good.

• Like 1

I only see a few good entries, wrongly rated (should've been higher) and even these entries aren't true to the horror genre. Plenty are dated af, and are of any use if you're majoring in film studies. 

The Exorcism Of Emily Rose isn't there :khalyan2:

What's up with Rosemary's Baby being a favorite? That movie is so uninteresting, boring, and anticlimactic. I immediately lose interest in any movie that spends 2 hours to reveal a "baby."

• Confused 4

Was this list made by a 60 year old :toofunny2:

Just because something is old doesn't make it a "classic" :deadbanana4:

• Like 1

A boring but okay top 10. Salo is trash and so is Jaws. Literally nothing happens in the latter. I guess you had to be there to get it because it bored me to death when I saw it. :biblio:

30 minutes ago, Venice B said:

SAW not making into the list, we love to see it! It's time to admit that atrocity is one of the worst things to ever come out of the horror genre.

Highly overrated! That dated ghastly early 2000s editing style alone aged it like milk. 

5 minutes ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

The Exorcism Of Emily Rose isn't there :khalyan2:

This is literally one of those movies millennials saw as kids and were terrified so remember it fondly but it's actually trash. A date once raved about it and made us watch it because I hadn't seen it and afterwards he was embarrassed about how bad it was. :dies:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Khal said:

Hideous shite like Terrifier not making the list, love to see it :clap3:

However, if one of the Hostel movies made the list, I'm surprised they didn't at least include one of the Saw movies between 1-3, as those were actually kind of good.

Terrifier is very excellent fine ART, don't get it twisted! :jonnyknife:

GODdition :jonnycat:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.