Are political extremisms bad on both sides?

DiabeticGrandpa

Far right and far left are equally bad. 

What do you think of this statement?

It depends on the country but yes, far-left and far-right politics are toxic and bad to democracies and society. I think center-right, center, or center-left are the solutions. Also, it shocks me how some Americans believe that basic human rights are 'far-left'.

Edited by Princess Aurora
  • Like 4

Everyone defines extremism in their own way though, I've been hearing people say equal rights is extreme left ideology

The only bad thing about "far left" is that you won't get the majority on board if you don't make any concessions to centrists. There will never be an overnight utopia, you have to get your foot in the door first and then make the public accept it as the new normal.

That's how the far right people got to where they are now, they were willing to make compromises (and outright lie about their true beliefs) and slowly shift the narrative in their benefit.

Edited by Illuminati
  • Like 2

Both want to force the other side to their standards so yes

Edited by tjspy
  • Like 2

Yeah it's basically communism vs authoritarian cleansing 

Nothing ever is good in the extreme

Center right or left is where balance is

• Like 1

Both sides can host authoritarian regimes so yes

6 minutes ago, JO1s said:

The far right wants to get rid of people who are different than them, the far left can over analyze stuff in a slightly annoying way. They are not the same.

Extreme left is communism, total and complete power of the government 

The slightly annoying ones are still center left

Is just that in America everything is very distorted 

• Like 1

After the last few weeks of endless heated debate on this topic, are we still rly talking about this, Chappell? Can we get a break?

an extreme of anything can be a bad thing.

2 minutes ago, LoveInStereo said:

After the last few weeks of endless heated debate on this topic, are we still rly talking about this, Chappell? Can we get a break?

Mama an election behind you 

Well I think we need to define what we mean by "far left"…

If you think someone like Bernie Sanders or Jeremy Corbyn is far left then no… neither of those men represent anything remotely "extreme" and equating their policies and ideas to the likes of Marjorie Taylor Green etc is absurd.

Extremism is bad. Authoritarianism is bad. But the far right is a far more insidious danger to freedom, democracy and existence than the so called far left.

Are there issues with the left? Of course. Plenty. But it's not the same…

• Thanks 1

I don' think I have ever experienced anything "far-left". What would that even look like?

Anything right on the other hand is just disgusting.

15 minutes ago, JO1s said:

The far right wants to get rid of people who are different than them

That's false. And everyone knows it. At least everyone with a working brain. 

Almot every single bloody time someone disagrees with far lefties they are so quick to throw quite big accusations at someone : " zionist, homophobe, racist, transphobic pos, sex offender" and so on.

These allegations can leave a huge impact on a persons life and career.

Both extreme sides work the same way, if they're not with us, they're against us.

So I have to disagree with you. Both sides want to get rid of "others" just in different way. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

5 minutes ago, Schami66 said:

I don' think I have ever experienced anything "far-left". What would that even look like?

Anything right on the other hand is just disgusting.

The Cambodian genocide, cultural revolution, etc.

OT: Yes, obviously.

Both are bad

No. Everyone here owes everything to the "far left" aka the folks way more gutsy and firmly committed to their beliefs who made sacrifices to get all of y'all to not currently be closeted serfs/slaves.

Power yields Nothing without a fight and only the far left puts up that fight while everyone to the right of them concedes to power and allows the overton windows to constantly move to the right. (Then y'all act shocked when rights/social services are eroded, genocides are brazenly committed by centrists and tacitly endorsed by "progressives") 

• Thanks 1

Far left wants to use Ze/Zir pronouns, meanwhile far right wants to literally commit genocide against anyone who isn't cis, heterosexual, and white. 
BFFR

• Like 2

Private property and its mode of production is literally going to make us extinct. I don't know something more extreme than this.

• Like 1

there are many things i could say about this question and how it annoys but what particularly grinds my ears is how this question is posited as if they were both equally powerful in society today.

i'm sorry but union powers are at their lowest, the economy is more right-wing and exploitative than ever. far-right politicians are winning elections across the world, more social services get scrapped and privatised every day. there is literally no mainstream movement advocating for a 'far-left' (assuming far-left means communism in this context) shift in society. y'all fell for the fascist propaganda narrative that far-left activists are somehow threatening our freedoms and society, when the opposite is true. 

the fact that so many people consider Bernie Sanders or Jeremy Corbyn 'far-left' is exactly the reason why we're heading into another fascism era.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In theory, yes. Practically speaking, though, far-right extremism seems to be a lot more common (and still on the rise) all across the world right now as opposed to its far-left equivalent, and therefore it's obviously the more immediate threat to most societies. 

1 hour ago, RussianRoulette said:

That's false. And everyone knows it. At least everyone with a working brain. 

Almot every single bloody time someone disagrees with far lefties they are so quick to throw quite big accusations at someone : " zionist, homophobe, racist, transphobic pos, sex offender" and so on.

These allegations can leave a huge impact on a persons life and career.

Both extreme sides work the same way, if they're not with us, they're against us.

So I have to disagree with you. Both sides want to get rid of "others" just in different way. 

So much text and absolutely NO value to it :deadbanana4:

The left doesn't want to get rid of anyone. Or can you Name any examples?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.