Has the bar for being an MPG been lowered?

Lagerfeld

I remember it took years for Ariana to be recognized as an MPG by stans. She finally earned her title after TU,N era. However! These days, many girls such as Chappell, Sabrina, and Tate McRae are already known as MPG.

What do you think?

ne7LodF.gif

Tate? I think not.

Yes, especially when these new pop girls haven't put in even a quarter of the work the real MPGs did 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Tate?

But this is not the new girls' fault. It's the old MPGs being lazy and letting the girls take their spot

Ariana didn't become an MPG fast because she had competition. These girls don't. All the old MPGs came and went with their releases this year. Chappell and Sabrina have had staying power 

Edited by Digitalism

Yes. The music industry isn't making money

Edited by YR.

The bar is in HELL. The new MPG's don't even have bridges to their songs. They don't understand their strengths and weaknesses. Everybody is doing something nostalgic and the execution of nostalgia has ran stale. 

The new crop of MPG's are giving nothing… creative or inspiring. They're not passionate about music or its execution. No themes, no plot, just vibes until that spaghetti actually sticks to the wall after how many times? 

• Thanks 1

Yes, during Ariana's time, they required her so many achievements before she could be considered a MPG (e.g. #1 H100 hits, Grammys, Universal Acclaim metacritic score, back to back hit eras, a more than decade longevity, etc etc). Now, every girl who is currently popular will be considered a MPG. :michael:

Edited by Jude
  • Thanks 1

Yes and that's why I don't care about any of them (except for Dua and Doja). Wish I did but they're giving me nothing to work with

It's been a dumpster fire for the past 15 years if we wanna be honest. 

I guess Ariana got lucky but yeah…

Pop music has been freefalling on the charts since 2015. There has been some poptimism here and there at some points, but the GP is not here for pop girls anymore as they were in the past. This is what we can get, demanding them more won't do much

ne7LodF.gif

Edited by BrokenMachine

I think there are a lot of variables. In this case, I think sharing their breakthrough year is impacting how we perceive their success.

For example, in 2008-10, Gaga, Katy, Kesha, and Miley all came out swinging, and Beyoncé and Rihanna really stepped up their game. That meant that by the time 2013 came around, we had an established "line-up" of MPGs, so people looked at Ariana and said, "have you achieved what they have? No. So you're not on their level yet."

She had to really fight for it.

2024 feels like a repeat of 2008. The new girls are all moving into the industry together, which like I said, makes it feel like they're sharing achievements. Chappell, Sabrina, Tate, Tyla and Charli are making pop exciting again.

Especially considering for the past 5-6 years, the new girls haven't really redefined pop like that. With the exception of Billie, Dua and Olivia, it's been like…Halsey, Camilla Cabello, Chloe Bailey, Normani, etc. — girls where we'll like, "are you gonna give this a proper go or not?"

For a long time there, female rap was taking over. So I don't think it's that the bar has been "lowered", I think they're just sharing a breakthrough year, which is making it feel like they're sharing their achievements. 

They aren't tho… MPG requires a few eras of consistent major success, and none of these ladies have it yet.  Billie is really the only new MPG at this point.  Dua was really close if not for RO flopping like that.

Edited by Archetype

It has but I think it has to do with how the industry has changed over even just the last decade. With streaming taking over and sales being less important we found that TV performances aren't the promo they used to be and didn't have as large of an effect. As a result we don't get many iconic performances now - and a lot of performances are very minimized (this years VMA's actually shocked me with the production of some performances though) - and now we get… playlisting? And same could be said for YouTube. There was a goal to always try to break the 24hour view and the budget behind music videos was through the roof. Now it's not weighed as heavy and views aren't what they used to be - now production behind a lot of videos has calmed down. :michael:

All of this to say there are obvious exceptions to each thing, but the industry overall isn't as pressured as it used to be.

If anything it feels higher?

Chappell, Sabrina, Charli, Billie, Olivia all delivered excellent albums, all write their own songs, all have interesting well-defined aesthetics and musical/lyrical styles

MPG is a term made up by ATRL-ers. It isn't a real thing

yes gone are the days from when we had mpgs like Lykke Li out their slaying 

ne7LodF.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.